• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

ELDEN RING: Shadow Of The Erdtree |OT| ⋆☽ Delve Into The Land Of Shadowy Embrace ✰ The Age Of Stars Is Almost Upon Us! ☾⋆

Chiggs

Gold Member
Everything I’m reading says this game is a performance clusterfuck, especially on PC. We love From and their games but their engines are hot garbage and they need to do a better job with optimization.

Honestly, I haven't noticed it. I'm on a 4090, though.

Draugoth

Gold Member
JGatag6.gif

Last edited:

TheDarkPhantom

Gold Member
The opening area alone *easily* has 10+ hours worth of content, people rushing to the end like this is race and missing half the game in the process, sounds retarded as fuck. Found so many cool things, explore explore explore. Like Limegrave in the base game, I'm sure when I revisit this area I'll find a bunch of stuff I missed despite being thorough, visit again and find even more, and again, and again...

Took down one of the Flame Giants too, not particularly hard just lots of kiting with your mount, timing jumps to avoid it's attacks, staying away from the arms. Hitting legs when they are charging up with a powerful attack can stagger and drop it for a crit on it's head, position it fell here was unfortunate but it was already on the brink, got it done, don't know how pure melee build will fare though:

simpatico

Any tips on getting back into it? I played at launch and have little to no memory of how the systems differ from Dark Souls... I'm thinking about starting a new character, running around for about 5 hours to get my feet under me, and then loading back my main and going into the DLC.

Anyone else have to do something like this? I planned on starting in March, but Ghost of Tsushima showed up out of nowhere and stole a month of my gaming life.

SJRB

Gold Member
Are these the hardest bosses or how do they compare?

DLC bosses were the first time I saw my Mimic Tear get bodied. That thing was unstoppable even versus Maliketh but he's having a hard time with these new bosses for sure.

Agent_4Seven

Tears of Nintendo
So, after playing for 17+ hours, I think my biggest complaint so far about SOTET is that there's really no small dungeons to explore with puzzles and such like in the main game and as I've said before, no crypts, ruins etc. - I found only one and that's it. It's not like they're well hidden though, there's just none of them to find and I wonder why they decided to get rid of the small dungeons etc. and offer only vast plains with very little to find and a couple of chests.

Cerulean Coast is an amazing looking location, love it to death. I just wish there was far more than just vast open plains with a few enemies and one (?) boss.

8pEBLxQ.jpeg

XtHwN1F.jpeg

SSiX3Ip.jpeg

FuoJoPS.jpeg

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
When I think about it I think I fought Messmer too soon, i just felt severely under leveled for entire castle.

I don’t how I managed to beat Messmer is that’s the case.

Last edited:

DavidGzz

Gold Member
Finally arrived and killed the Gaol Knight. He was fun. I stood still once and took 20 bolts to the face. Jump attacks were handy. Seems he had as many estus flasks as I did the fucker lol. I like his armor.

Last edited:

Agent_4Seven

Tears of Nintendo
When I think about it I think I fought Messmer too soon, i just felt severely under levered for entire castle.
I haven't even been in any castle yet or similar location, I know there's one or two literally on the first available potion of the map, but I decided to go south and south-east to explore a bit before going into the huge castle (which I haven't even seen yet), everything around it and a settlement south-west of it after the huge bridge.

Danjin44

I'm still using Rogier's Rapier and Estoc because so far I didn't find any weapon fits with my build, the closest I got was Great Katana but that sword's moves set is too slow like your typical great sword which kind of defeats the purpose of Katana.

If I want bigger Katana then I just use Nagakiba which has faster moves set and I can put sheath ash war on it.

Last edited:

Agent_4Seven

Tears of Nintendo
I'm still using Rogier's Rapier and Estoc because so far I didn't find any weapon fits with my build, the closest I got was Great Katana but that sword's moves set is too slow like your typical great sword which kind of defeats the purpose of Katana.
I'm using fully upgraded Royal Greatsword with Wolf's Assault Ash of War. It's getting me through everything just fine so far 🙏:messenger_relieved:
Will probably try out monk stuff and other new weapons and playstyles (when I get / find them) to vary things a bit. Looking forward to try out faster long sword and new dual wield playstyles the most.

Last edited:

Tomeru

My game is freezing and crashing more frequently today. Wtf is going on.... Could this be related to online somehow?

Agent_4Seven

Tears of Nintendo
I only had one crash and only bc I forgot to turn off MSI Afterburner which shouldn't be running along with Photo mod. But there's quite a few performance issues here and there in some areas and during some fights which are not cool.

Anywho, reading reviews now on Steam and some negative reviews mention that the SOTET is too hard if you're not using the new progression system. Well, I'll say this, before I upgraded anything, I 1-2 shoted 95% of new enemies I've seen so far and I can't say that SOTET is hard. One dude who wrote a negative review had 20+ levels above me.

Have you guys found SOTET hard after you started playing? I kinda wonder if it's a build or skill issue for some people writing negative reviews on Steam.

nemiroff

Gold Member
The quality of the DLC is as usual absolutely stellar, but man.. I mean, I probably have about up to 2000 hours in FS games (including all the King's Field games) over the decades, beat each souls game plus ER multiple times with different builds. But at this point I'll just stop playing the DLC and wait (or not) for a difficulty tweak patch. I play games to relax, so the 10/10 difficulty/frustration isn't for me. The crazy room wall camera issues with massive bosses during absolutely relentless attacks is not helping either.

SJRB

Gold Member
Anyone know the stats for the fully upgraded Dryleaf Arts (the karate combat skill)?

I just got it and I'm thinking of using it but I just upgraded the Backhand Blade to +25 and it cost me a fortune.

simpatico

Fuck it. Hopped back in raw after not playing since I beat it at launch. Muscle memory is already back. Now I just have to figure out what all my gear is…

Already killed the first red named dude and got the new blessing. God I forgot what it feels like. No game has made my heart do this since…. Elden Ring. Just blood pressure to dopamine hits and gosh damn it you really forget how good it is.

Time for adventure. Back in the saddle. Best game of all time.

Antwix

Anyone kill that wicker man golem (whatever they are called) in the east along that main road? Sorry for the vague description, idk what area I'm rolling up to. The one near the spirit spring and the non-lock on legs. Trying to throw fire pots inside does nothing for me? Maybe I'll keep trying that or just come back later.

Last edited:

YoungEmperor96

Neo Member
So, after playing for 17+ hours, I think my biggest complaint so far about SOTET is that there's really no small dungeons to explore with puzzles and such like in the main game and as I've said before, no crypts, ruins etc. - I found only one and that's it. It's not like they're well hidden though, there's just none of them to find and I wonder why they decided to get rid of the small dungeons etc. and offer only vast plains with very little to find and a couple of chests.

Cerulean Coast is an amazing looking location, love it to death. I just wish there was far more than just vast open plains with a few enemies and one (?) boss.

8pEBLxQ.jpeg

XtHwN1F.jpeg

SSiX3Ip.jpeg

FuoJoPS.jpeg
How ? I only played 10h and have found 4 mini dungeons. And unlike main game, their's quality is pretty good. I think From went to right decision when made fewer dungeons but improve the quality

Danjin44

Anyone kill that wicker man golem (whatever they are called) in the east along that main road? Sorry for the vague description, idk what area I'm rolling up to. The one near the spirit spring and the non-lock on legs. Trying to throw fire pots inside does nothing for me? Maybe I'll keep trying that or just come back later.
Yup same, it seems you suppose to throw specific item inside to kill it, but so far everything I thrown did barely anything.

simpatico

As someone who didn’t watch a single trailer, holy fuck. I mean holy fuck. I haven’t been this excited in a long time. I’m cheesing over here. Just found big flame ominous man. I’m not fighting him yet. I still don’t even remember what all my gear and flasks do…

Finally booted it up and I don't remember how to play. Had to look up how to two-hand weapons lol

Also I forgot how bad the lighting is with the lantern (and I assume torches as well).

Edit: looks like there are some mods that add dynamic shadows to the lantern but the update broke them of course

Last edited:
Top Bottom