• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

ELDEN RING: Shadow Of The Erdtree |OT| ⋆☽ Delve Into The Land Of Shadowy Embrace ✰ The Age Of Stars Is Almost Upon Us! ☾⋆

Tomeru

Get your scadutree blessings guys, don't focus on leveling up:

5Ukk3ox.jpeg

If you have your weapons at +25 your only focus should be on finding the scadutree blessings if you're struggling with a boss/area.

And FYI, there are a total of 50 blessings to be found.
Now that I know, my struggle (which was real) is making more sense.

Can these be dropped and shared?

Edit:
That also mean there is a "recommended" scadutree level for bosses.

Last edited:

Cyborg

Is there an easy to use dagger or a small weapon that you can buff your strenght with? For my bleed build I have Golden Vow + Fire give me strenght + Jellyfish shild.

Anything else?

Reactions: GHG

GHG

Is there an easy to use dagger or a small weapon that you can buff your strenght with? For my bleed build I have Golden Vow + Fire give me strenght + Jellyfish shild.

Anything else?

You can also use royal Knights resolve on a dagger like the misericorde, but that extra buff will only apply to one hit per RKR buff.

It can be devastating if you can get the buff and crit in while an enemy is staggered though.

Just put Seppuku on any weapon to get that buff?

Yep, and that stacks with the bloodloss bonus damage talisman.

Last edited:

GHG

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
Some of the fights are such bullshit though.

The hippo, for example you don't even have time to enter the fog gate and summon a npc before it charges you down. Grapples you, then finishes you off with a follow-up attack!

Its kinda funny how outrageously cheap it is the first few times, and then you really have to wonder is this really the best they could come up with in terms of making a challenge?

Sorry guys, but if this was anything other than a FROM game, people would be calling out its many shortcomings as an expansion.

The Scadutree Blessing mechanic is not good. Its a crutch to preserve balance that mainly achieves the result of making all combat in the expansion pointless outside of bosses. Which in turn explains the ridiculously cut n' paste way that enemy population is done across the open world.

I'm enjoying it because its more Elden Ring, but sorry, people are tripping if they are saying this is a high-water mark. I expect in the long-term its reception to get less favourable when people start to feel less inclined to handwave off its many glaring flaws.

simpatico

For the people complaining about stutter, is this only happening with ray tracing on? I’m playing on a 7800x3D and a GTX 1080 and I haven’t noticed a dropped frame. All settings on high.

simpatico

100% gauranteed they're going to patch in more messages in the beginning to emphasize this system. Bandai Namco even put a message on Twitter saying people need to use the Scadutree blessings.

Remember when Elden Ring just came out and no one jumped in the tutorial hole because the description was super vague and made it seem like it was a challenge and people were like "fuck that"? They fixed that by adding a message and a prompt.

It's gonna happen here, no doubt.
I really hope they don’t cave to these people again. They won’t be happy until the combat is Devil May Cry on level 1. It does no good to throw them a bone.

Agent_4Seven

Tears of Nintendo
In fact I haven’t leveled up in erdtree once, there’s no point as it will not help that much compared to blessings.
No, but leveling up will help to meet weapons, spells etc. requirements. I've plenty of weapons etc. which I can't use but want to so leveling up still have meaning and purpose.

Anywho...

A few shots from today's adventures. I ended up going back to the shore cuz it looked like I missed something there and sure enough, a bunch of new items, weapons and a boss.

DO NOT open the spoiler unless you've explored the shore and an area with the red flowers above it fully.

jL8jPON.jpeg

TR8nT6T.jpeg

TGEGwGd.jpeg

kui39eW.jpeg

xTeVFzK.jpeg

37ExN6C.jpeg

BWQFyF8.jpeg

Last edited:

GHG

No, but leveling up will help to meet weapons, spells etc. requirements. I've plenty of weapons etc. which I can't use but want to so leveling up still have meaning and purpose.

Anywho...

A few shots from today's adventures. I ended up going back to the shore cuz it looked like I missed something there and sure enough, a bunch of new items, weapons and a boss.

DO NOT open the spoiler unless you've explored the shore and an area with the red flowers above it fully.

jL8jPON.jpeg

TR8nT6T.jpeg

TGEGwGd.jpeg

kui39eW.jpeg

xTeVFzK.jpeg

37ExN6C.jpeg

BWQFyF8.jpeg

That area has
a boss that gives you one of the best katana's in the game in terms of it's ash of war. So much fun to use.

Agent_4Seven

Tears of Nintendo
That area has
a boss that gives you one of the best katana's in the game in terms of it's ash of war. So much fun to use.
Yeah, I like its ash of war move set. It'll be interesting to see how effective it is in combat. I'm yet to find light long swords to check the new playstyle though, but I guess it won't be long before I do.

Btw folks, do I have to go back to the Limgrave's hub to upgrade weapons and shit or there's new NPCs in SOTET for that? I don't need their locations and such, I'm yet to explore the huge castles and setlements up north of the first map, so no spoilers please - I'm going there today.

Last edited:
Reactions: GHG

Buggy Loop

Gold Member

But then I wouldn't go in DLC without being level 150, and I can't think of a build that doesn't fit in with respeccing.

The blackgaol knight and that flaming giant thing were a shock when I started playing the DLC. But after exploring and collecting a few scadutree fragments, difficulty seems on par with the base game.
I'm still using my holy knight build and my holy/blasphemous swords with its insane special attacks. And of course, my loyal mimic tear is taking most of the damage whenever possible. I killed two of the main bosses (I believe) on my first try. And I'm not a skilled player.

Pleasantly surprised with how much is available to explore without killing major bosses. Only killed one but I found my way to the southern part of the map so here I am, ignoring the suggested path as always lol

I probably should find more before my scadoosh blessing gets too high, though...

Agent_4Seven

Tears of Nintendo
Got him!

And I love the high level incantation you can forge from his soul 💯💯💯

How about you'll use spoilers, huh?:messenger_face_steam:

But then I wouldn't go in DLC without being level 150, and I can't think of a build that doesn't fit in with respeccing.
I wonder if those pussys on Steam beelined the main game, haven't explored / leveled up much, killed all of the bosses etc. then gone into the DLC and... we all know what happened. I honestly can't explain it otherwise.

Also, how on earth some of you guys already finished SOTET? I've played for almost 28 hours and haven't even finished exploring the first two maps.

Antwix

How about you'll use spoilers, huh?:messenger_face_steam:

I wonder if those pussys on Steam beelined the main game, haven't explored / leveled up much, killed all of the bosses etc. then gone into the DLC and... we all know what happened. I honestly can't explain it otherwise.

Also, how on earth some of you guys already finished SOTET? I've played for almost 28 hours and haven't even finished exploring the first two maps.
Yeah I probably played about as much as you. I have 2 more map fragments to find. Just found a painting that I've been searching for the location of, just found a whole zone behind a fake wall that I've yet to explore, and still have the entire north west map to do. I guess people just wanna play it like a boss rush and not worry about quests or exploring. Or maybe they are just using walkthrough/tip videos on where everything is.

I'm proud of myself that I managed to advance a few quests without looking anything up :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Agent_4Seven

Tears of Nintendo
What was spoiled if you didn't click on the vid?
You can clearly see everything on the thumb🫴

try doing the same when you post 200 screenshots spoiling every environment
xigneo-n-vrchat.gif

Those were literally the first two locations they've showed in gameplay videos / trailers and official screenshots and everything else is already under spoilers with the warning.

I'm proud of myself that I managed to advance a few quests without looking anything up :messenger_tears_of_joy:
I haven't even found any quests yet, unless you'll count the one at the peak above - NPC at the shrine asks you to kill the dragon.

Last edited:
Was out most of the weekend, but had a great time beating Dancing Lion and Rellana last night. Two great From bosses.

I'm definitely using my Mimic Tear, which has gotten a buff of it's own for the DLC. But it still felt satisfying to beat, with a decent but very doable difficulty curve. I'm not very good at the game, and using a very unoptimized build.

The bosses felt well balanced for the summons as well, changing their aggro often. It became more about knowing when to poke and how to dodge all of the moves. The first time I managed to jump over Rellana's bouncing sorcery thing, was the time I won, which felt right.

Certainly different from other From games, but using the summons felt like how they expect the average person to play. I'm a very mediocre player, so ~15 tries, a satisfyingly learning curve, gets adrenaline pumping, and super satisfying to beat, felt just right.. The movesets, design, and music for the bosses was all top tier as well. It's just From and ER at it's best so far for me. The view/area after Rellana has me absolutely itching to get back...

tommib

Gold Member
^^^ I've explored most of the map/dungeons/areas and I have yet to see anyone who can upgrade. So I think the only place is back at Roundtable Hold
Press triangle followed by square on the map to go straight to Roundtable.

Chiggs

Gold Member
Some of the fights are such bullshit though.

The hippo, for example you don't even have time to enter the fog gate and summon a npc before it charges you down. Grapples you, then finishes you off with a follow-up attack!

Then stop trying to summon an NPC right off the bat? Holy shit, man…switch it up.

And as for the hippo being cheap, should it bow to you before challenging you to a fencing duel?

Last edited:

j0hnnix

Haven't started DLC yet, doing stellar blade first. Has anyone tried martial arts , what's the damage like?

Arsic

Loves his juicy stink trail scent
I’ll set aside time to go from level 10 suckadick tree to level 20.

I just hate having to follow guides. I know I don’t have to and can go exploring crazy but I’d like to get close to level 20, then go try the final boss again to see what kind of difference it makes.

Being half way to max makes me think it’ll make a significant difference. Maybe grind 10 extra levels of vigor to boot.

Antwix

I have never even considered leveling INT prior but there's some really cool stuff that requires INT. Gonna start dropping some points into it.

Also, have you guys found any of the coffins? Found 2 so far. I stopped redeeming boss weapons so I can debate on what to pick up later.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
Then stop trying to summon an NPC right off the bat? Holy shit, man…switch it up.

And as for the hippo being cheap, should it bow to you before challenging you to a fencing duel?

Dude, entering an arena to being dead that fast *without moving* is just cheap! Its not defensible beyond the trolling value.

There's a lengthy pause initially following the cut-scene, but I think they messed up the timings a bit for subsequent runs. I'd expect it to get patched, just adding an extra couple of seconds on start would fix it and put it back into-line with most of the other fights I've seen.

Finally started the DLC. After a 2 year break I totally forgot what those map indicators were so I was running around blindly the first couple hours. Immediately ran into Blackgaol Knight, dude had hands, then squeaked by on my second attempt. Super fun fight, really satisfying. Next stop was the jar dungeon, it had a little bit of everything I love in a souls game - the lore, the spooky, awesome design, and then right at the end you fight fucking yoda LMAO! So far noped out of giant and dragon encounters, maybe once I get a couple more skibbidadoo tree blessing levels.

Other than that just exploring and collecting things. Looks like there are other land masses across some cliffs I have no idea how to get to yet. Feels like how I felt exploring Limgrave for the first time, which was an incredible feeling of scale and discovery.

Arsic

Loves his juicy stink trail scent
Dude, entering an arena to being dead that fast *without moving* is just cheap! Its not defensible beyond the trolling value.

There's a lengthy pause initially following the cut-scene, but I think they messed up the timings a bit for subsequent runs. I'd expect it to get patched, just adding an extra couple of seconds on start would fix it and put it back into-line with most of the other fights I've seen.
I think I beat hippo one second try but I don’t recall him auto bombing/killing me.

You can use a flask mixture before going into a boss with the one that significantly reduces damage and the heals you when you drop to low health.

Combo those two and you’ll be set to either try your summon right out and survive or run in to create space to summon without absorbing a hit.

Hope that helps.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
I think I beat hippo one second try but I don’t recall him auto bombing/killing me.

You can use a flask mixture before going into a boss with the one that significantly reduces damage and the heals you when you drop to low health.

Combo those two and you’ll be set to either try your summon right out and survive or run in to create space to summon without absorbing a hit.

Hope that helps.

Yeah, but unfortunately I just blitzed through to Mohg on a fresh character so still got tons of tears missing!

Not that its a big deal, I beat him after a few tries, but I have to admit it was funny getting insta-smashed like that because it was so comically cheap.

PS. Soon as I realized how the mechanics are in the expansion I paid a visit to Blackguard Boggart at his spot outside of Leyndell and bought a shit-ton of boiled crab.
Considering how cheap they are, its no-brainer not to pop beforehand to beef up physical resistance on any build.

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
The art direction, colour grading, architecture and level of detail of the vista after defeating Rellana is the most impressive shit I’ve seen this generation and I don’t care what anyone else thinks.
Don't know who that bitch is but I believe you 100%. Honestly, I think FROM have the best art direction in the whole industry, no contest.

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
When the Lion's (2nd boss?) 2nd phase hits.

If You Say So Wow GIF by Identity

Holy crap, just when I was starting to feel comfortable. :goog_relieved:

Edit: still here lol. The music is very cool tho, props to that.

Last edited:
Given the multi-layered nature of the open world, I wish they would give you more detailed maps of certain areas where it's just a complicated crepe cake. The map doesn't do a good job of indicating the elevation.

Top Bottom