• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

ELDEN RING: Shadow Of The Erdtree |OT| ⋆☽ Delve Into The Land Of Shadowy Embrace ✰ The Age Of Stars Is Almost Upon Us! ☾⋆

DelireMan7

I'm very curious about this DLC because I don't think Elden Ring ever found a balance between difficulty and the summons we have at our disposal (namely mimic tear or tiche). The game is either really hard or really easy and that is, honestly, nonsensical.
Honestly I think it's not possible to find a good balance. Anything that distract a boss from you is insanely powerful in my opinion.
Even if summons don't do damage, if they take the aggro it's a huge power boost.

Honestly I think it's not possible to find a good balance. Anything that distract a boss from you is insanely powerful in my opinion.
Even if summons don't do damage, if they take the aggro it's a huge power boost.
The bosses in the DLC seem to mostly ignore the summons. Still worth it for the occasional extra healing window when they do notice them and the limited damage they do doesnt hurt either.

TheDarkPhantom

Gold Member
Every time I beat a boss (all solo) I stick around to help others for a while. The flame fuck is cooking everyone lol. No one seems to be using fire dmg negation, no one seems to understand the proper tactics to use when you have 3 people working on him, I'm about to give up on these mfs and let them suffer 😂

DelireMan7

The bosses in the DLC seem to mostly ignore the summons. Still worth it for the occasional extra healing window when they do notice them and the limited damage they do doesnt hurt either.
I haven't test in the DLC and I am not an expert with summons but in the base game I have the feeling the bosses aggro the "entity" (player or summon) who did the most damage "recently".
If I summon and do nothing, the boss will usually aggro the summon because it did damage. Then if I start doing lot of damage it switches to me. I can reset the aggro by stopping attacking for a bit (and the summon does damage during this time to take the aggro again).

But I haven't done extensive test and maybe in the DLC it works different.

I haven't test in the DLC and I am not an expert with summons but in the base game I have the feeling the bosses aggro the "entity" (player or summon) who did the most damage "recently".
If I summon and do nothing, the boss will usually aggro the summon because it did damage. Then if I start doing lot of damage it switches to me. I can reset the aggro by stopping attacking for a bit (and the summon does damage during this time to take the aggro again).

But I haven't done extensive test and maybe in the DLC it works different.
I use summons all the damn time and the DLC bosses are far more agro on me than the ones in the base game. Like 80% or more of the time. It could be they've made the summons more passive or generally useless in the DLC that's causing it. The mimic does seem to attack less but that could just be it struggles to stay close enough to the boss due to the mental attack chains and bouncing all over the arena situation with most of these bosses.

Bartski

Gold Member
The new item menu tab is godsend. Essential if you don't have the habit of using the chest, where I only keep duplicates.

I'd love to see a way of tagging favorites and another tab with those

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
Holy fuck, Abyssal Woods!

FROM, I know you have it in you. Please make a proper survival horror game.

Yeah, its pretty cool, really liked the mini legacy dungeon in that area.

Gotta be honest though; like an awful lot of the DLC that area is a lot of space with very little content within it. If you're still doing stuff in the main game and as a result are popping back and forth between the "worlds" its extremely apparent that they simply did not have the time to fully detail out these vast expanses of territory like they did with the main game. The environment, scale and atmosphere is all there but enemy placement is really sparse and throwaway. Its basically DS1 Dragon Ruins level.

I use summons all the damn time and the DLC bosses are far more agro on me than the ones in the base game. Like 80% or more of the time. It could be they've made the summons more passive or generally useless in the DLC that's causing it. The mimic does seem to attack less but that could just be it struggles to stay close enough to the boss due to the mental attack chains and bouncing all over the arena situation with most of these bosses.

Wear the Shabriri's Woe talisman into the arena and swap it out as soon as you summon your mimic tear.

I'm very curious about this DLC because I don't think Elden Ring ever found a balance between difficulty and the summons we have at our disposal (namely mimic tear or tiche). The game is either really hard or really easy and that is, honestly, nonsensical.
There is no reasonable way to achieve balance with so many gameplay elements taken into account in ER. Some shit will be busted or trash depending how they nerf/buff it, and some are just universally good. I'm just happy they are willing to change things up to keep it fresh every now and then with balance patches. It's basically a game where you can make it as hard or as easy as you want depending on your build.

Last edited:

gow3isben

Started the DLC beat BlackGaol Knight dude could 2 shot me lol.

As a Radahn worshipper If the reason Radahn is a mandatory boss fight before the DLC is because we will get to see Prime Radahn some way I would cream my pants.

I hope Miquella is an actual fight not a Ranni like figure.

Mesmer seems cool based on the trailer but I am not sure he looks final boss cool.

tommib

Gold Member
Maxed out on PC at times it's got an oil painting like quality to it.

Some of the most stunning views and vista I've ever seen in a game.
Can we acknowledge that these artists at this point are just on another level? Everything is kind of tacky compared to what these masters are doing.

Even the overworld soundtrack and its ambient approach with chamber music mixed with Brian Eno-esque subtle electronics.

They just put everyone to shame really.

Last edited:

TheDarkPhantom

Gold Member
Whats to stop them from just walking into the boss room to kick you out

Nothing, half the time that's what happens, they enter the boss room as soon as you spawn in, still the best place all things considered 👌

Edit: oh and sometimes it will spawn you in MID BOSS BATTLE, you get to stay and collect souls for free when they inevitably die 😂

Last edited:

FoxMcChief

Gold Member
I finally booted this up. Yeah, it’s weird once again being thrown into a world with zero guidance on what to do or where to go. Cool and dumb at the same time. Like, I don’t know why I’m in this other realm, or why the “rules” are different. Just because?

TheDarkPhantom

Gold Member
I call this masterpiece 'Wakey Wakey, Eggs & Bakey'

I love this fucking game, legit been lmao for the past hour doing this over and over 😂😂😂

Antwix

What are the best int stuff in the game (I went full int my base game playthrough)?
I have no idea first hand since I haven't used any due to not having any INT 😂. Just from the very basic mentions/footage online.

But there's a few weapons/skills on my watchlist so to speak. This is off the top of my head so forgive any misinfo

-Renallas twin swords. Only like 14 int and I'm not sure how well it scales with int. Not much I don't think tho. Still gotta have some.
-theres a gravity spell from a remembrance boss that I won't spoil that is looking sick as well as high damage. It's the only boss sorcery in the game I believe
-Star lined sword/katana(I think that's the name). 21 int I believe with a very promising looking ash of war skill.
-Fleeting microcosm spell. Seems like a great spell with a really nice AOE. Cheap cast too.
-Impenetrable Thorns. Seems beyond broken. So overpowered it's not even funny. Will probably get nerfed.
-Carian sovereignty. Doesn't require int since it's an ash of war but absolutely incredible damage, incredible poise damage, and it has hyper armor so you won't get interrupted ever. It's a beefier version of Carian greatswords (I believe that's it's name. It's a spell where you charge up the greatsword up to 3 times and smash it down)

Bartski

Gold Member
Guys if someone did all the sidequests I'll be happy to trade some items via dupe save on playstation

Looking for

Armor set:

Thiollier's Mask
Thiollier's Garb
Thiollier's Gloves
Thiollier's Trousers

Weapons:

Ansbach's Longbow
Golem Fist
Thiollier's Hidden Needle
Deadly Poison Perfume Bottle
Queelign's Greatsword
Sword of Night
Putrescence cleaver (Putrescence remembrance)
Sword lance (commander Gaius remembrance)

Talismans:

St. Trina's Smile
Lacerating Crossed-Tree
Retaliatory Crossed-Tree
Engraved divine beast (Dancing lion remembrance)

Ash of War:

Swift Slash

Last edited:

TheDarkPhantom

Gold Member
I'm up to a million souls farmed through these invasions in the past 90 minutes, here I got 100K for doing absolutely nothing lol

Last edited:
I haven't been able to play much, but I've just met the dancing lion and...lol.

I've only attempted the fight a few times and died almost defeating him every time. I've tried with summoning ashes and noticed that Nightmaiden & Swordstress Puppets will stun him a few times during the fight and Black Knife Tiche will absolutely melt through his health.

Thinking of changing to an Arcane build for the first time because my magic build doesn't seem to be cutting it.

FoxMcChief

Gold Member
GQ7iZaWagAAS0uA

GQ7iZaUbwAAUEPR

Boralf

I wonder if that bug in that dungeon is on purpose, where you can drop off the map by going through a wall that has no hitbox. Miyazaki really went too far this time.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
I definitely say Milady has become my favourite weapon in DLC, the R2 attack and can combo with R1 is great and its not "unique weapon" so can put different ash of war in it.

Reactions: GHG

sloppyjoe_gamer

Gold Member
For OLED Bravias, what do you all have your brightness settings at.....With HDR on, what do you have for the sliders for brightness, maximum nits (or whatever it is), and saturation?

Last edited:

FoxMcChief

Gold Member
Does the game ever tell you why things are different in the new realm? Why we need to collect those items to boost our damage and defense? Or is it just “reasons?”

New weapons are amazing so far. In the base game I mainly used Bloodhound Fang, until I got Radahn's Greatswords, and was very happy to stick with them. But very early in the DLC I got the backhand blades which I immediately brought up to +25, and keep them on me at all times, fun as hell.

Then Rellana's Twinblades. So awesome, got those up to +9, have been keeping all three on me and using them all, just a total blast. Oh did I mention the Repeating Crossbow?

Last edited:

ebevan91

New weapons are amazing so far. In the base game I mainly used Bloodhound Fang, until I got Radahn's Greatswords, and was very happy to stick with them. But very early in the DLC I got the backhand blades which I immediately brought up to +25, and keep them on me at all times, fun as hell.

Then Rellana's Twinblades. So awesome, got those up to +9, have been keeping all three on me and using them all, just a total blast. Oh did I mention the Repeating Crossbow?

I just picked up the repeating crossbow yesterday. I've never really used bows of any type in this game but I'm considering it now that they buffed crafted bolts/arrows. It scales off strength, right?

Last edited:
I just picked up the repeating crossbow yesterday. I've never really used bows of any type in this game but I'm considering it now that they buffed crafted bolts/arrows. It scales off strength, right?
It seemed to not scale with any stats, unfortunately. But I got it up to +9, and the repeating feature is viable enough to take down distant enemies. Not for actual hard content obviously, but enough to enjoy screwing around with it.

gow3isben

I have no idea first hand since I haven't used any due to not having any INT 😂. Just from the very basic mentions/footage online.

But there's a few weapons/skills on my watchlist so to speak. This is off the top of my head so forgive any misinfo

-Renallas twin swords. Only like 14 int and I'm not sure how well it scales with int. Not much I don't think tho. Still gotta have some.
-theres a gravity spell from a remembrance boss that I won't spoil that is looking sick as well as high damage. It's the only boss sorcery in the game I believe
-Star lined sword/katana(I think that's the name). 21 int I believe with a very promising looking ash of war skill.
-Fleeting microcosm spell. Seems like a great spell with a really nice AOE. Cheap cast too.
-Impenetrable Thorns. Seems beyond broken. So overpowered it's not even funny. Will probably get nerfed.
-Carian sovereignty. Doesn't require int since it's an ash of war but absolutely incredible damage, incredible poise damage, and it has hyper armor so you won't get interrupted ever. It's a beefier version of Carian greatswords (I believe that's it's name. It's a spell where you charge up the greatsword up to 3 times and smash it down)

Thanks fam will look out I love carian grandeur

Top Bottom