• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

ELDEN RING: Shadow Of The Erdtree |OT| ⋆☽ Delve Into The Land Of Shadowy Embrace ✰ The Age Of Stars Is Almost Upon Us! ☾⋆

Draugoth

Gold Member
3tSnYu8.jpeg

Gaiff

SBI’s Resident Gaslighter
One of the most twisted revelations in the history of videogames. I’ve said it so many times before. From software have it in them to make the best body horror/survival horror game ever.
Well, yeah, but the jars look so goofy that it’s kind of hard to take it seriously. From has a weird fascination with comedy-horror.

Tomeru

So they were right, all bosses ARE Melania level. Where is let me solo them when you need him?

I realise some builds are better than others, but I want to have fun exploring AND bossing. But bosses are not fun so far.

Currently at melania, I mean mesmer - a boss which explodes the screen and you cant see shit. When he stops attacking you may try to heal, as hus damage goes through guard.

But he doesmt stop attacking.

Like ever.

And dont start me with boar cavalier.

Its like bosses feel a whole nother game.

Tou in one.

LTTP: I put down ER for almost 2 years. But picked it back up a few days ago in preparation for the DLC, but, due to a promise I made myself, I could not in good faith purchase the DLC until I had achieved the platinum (I only had 2 remaining trophies, legendary incantations, and frenzied flame ending). Downloading it now!

Fbh

Ok after being super disappointed with the "moon magic" in the main game (and most high level magic to be hoenst), I have to say Rellana's Twin Moons is pretty cool.
It's very situational, takes long to cast and will probably be useless against bosses, but at least it looks cool, does good damage and is pretty great at dispatching trash mobs.

Also swapped my moonveil for the Star-Lined Sword, mostly because I want to use a DLC weapon. It's not quite as good but still pretty fun to use

simpatico

I find myself having to go back to Moon Veil for certain enemies. That LT+RT special is just so good for punishing great shield guys. The minute that drop that shield you can get in a good hit and it decimates poise. With my INT DEX build, that with the rock throw spell are still getting me through at the same rate of progress I had in the base game. Back Blades, Milady and Great Katana are all great fun. Anyone has Ash recs for Great Katana? I feel like I'm not getting the most out of it.

Also, for ashes and my class, do you guys think it's better to go Keen, Magic or Cold? Cold has the most damage points if you just add it up. My INT is 67 and DEX is 45 (with mask giving me +5 of that).

Antwix

Mark my words. Youtubers will make videos saying "THIS NEW ASH OF WAR IS THE STRONGEST EVER" and it will become the new cheese. The ash of war is Carian Sovereignty. Absolutely ridiculous stance damage. Absolutely ridiculous hyper armor. Absolutely ridiculous damage. Oh and it's fairly cheap.

zeroluck

I am playing the base game for the first time, why is this game still 60fps cap and no ultrawide support in 2024? Thankfully on PC I unlocked the fps via a mod. The empty open world is boring AF, spent hours running into absolutely nothing, said screw it and look up the map with item locations and put it on my second monitor. The game is designed to waste my time, use the mod the disable rune lose to lessen the pain. Started playing on Thursday, level 110 and almost done hopefully I can get to the DLC by tomorrow. Souls game is boring imo hopefully FromSoft go back to Sekiro style for next game.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
I finally found dex weapon Dancing Blade of Ranah, it doe decent damage but it feels like most weapon in DLC is toward faith build.....I mostly finding weapon that requires Faith.

Do you recommend using spells if you’re a tanky strength/faith build?

I used to roll with blasphemous blade but never dabbled in spells much

I may need to upgrade my magic more in this dlc and start using spells

I use spells for fun and you don’t need them. For faith builds using the buffs is enough.

Has anyone tried the Perfume Bottle weapons yet?

I tried the poison one and the lightning one. I did find a weapon art specifically for the bottles too.

Perfumer build if workable but I don’t think you could solely use them.

The poison bottle will poison you too which sucks.

ChoosableOne

ChoosableAll
After the Lion Beast? defeat, I decided to use the DLC boosts. After using two of them, now I can progress through the entire map very easily, including the minor bosses. I think I'll still struggle with the major bosses, but this situation has dampened my enjoyment. The difficulty balance seems a bit off. If you gonna use those boosts, don't use more than one until you struggle somewhere.

Boralf

I am playing the base game for the first time, why is this game still 60fps cap and no ultrawide support in 2024? Thankfully on PC I unlocked the fps via a mod. The empty open world is boring AF, spent hours running into absolutely nothing, said screw it and look up the map with item locations and put it on my second monitor. The game is designed to waste my time, use the mod the disable rune lose to lessen the pain. Started playing on Thursday, level 110 and almost done hopefully I can get to the DLC by tomorrow. Souls game is boring imo hopefully FromSoft go back to Sekiro style for next game.
Then why are you playing?

keefged4

Perhaps this type of game isn't for you.

If its boring then stop playing. It's as easy as that. Its not designed to waste your time, you just don't like the way the game has been designed and there's nothing wrong with that. I feel sorry for you if anything, its the best video game in fucking ages.

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
When you think the bolt-barrage is over, but then he shoots one more bolt. :')

Man this lonely knight sure is fucking me up, way to shake off the rust after not playing since the game came out.

Last edited:

Soodanim

Fight one boss, shit's chaos and I'm getting smacked up without even seeing what's hitting me

Go elsewhere and fight another boss, and it's even more chaotic because I can't see shit with all the cloth and particle effects

The fuck

Still can't believe how much shit I missed 150 hours into the base game. I had killed the Elden Beast, yet I finally picked up the elusive Armorer's Cookbook 1 back in Limgrave. There are so many areas and so many you may or may not have gone back to, it's insane.

Antwix

Some pretty interesting looking boss weapons so far

Wow they finally brought back a catalyst to cast incantations and sorceries sweet

Last edited:
The new imps are really, really annoying.

Mr Bouncy and Mr Boomy

Fought a giant hippopotamus 🦛 and got a cool looking spell that isn’t great in practice.

The atmosphere and design are miles above the base game. I hope this is a foreshadow of the next From “Elden Ring”.

simpatico

Just beat Lion on about 5 or 6 tries. I’m not even that good and my build is not min maxed at all. Got a lot of stupid points. Maybe INT DEX just have it easy, but I’m not seeing the difficulty everyone is complaining about. This is coming from someone who can’t even play Nioh.

Edit: Rennela is down.

Last edited:

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
I feel like I’m playing this game wrong I just reached Radahn boss fight which feels like final boss but half the map is still unexplored. Did I made a mistake by reach end area?

Last edited:

simpatico

Summoning is a huge part of the appeal of the Souls games to me. The chaos of the kind of spirits you come across. Sometimes they're pro, sometimes they're shit, sometimes they're crazy and take you on a secret finding ride and give you weapons. It adds so many memorable moments to my play throughs. I just did a summon in a side dungeon, at the entrance first time playing it, and it was a blast. We one shotted it and it required a lot of drawing enemies out and sneaking. Beat the boss by the skin of our teeth. Great ride, would summon again. Jolly cooperation.

I feel like I’m playing this game wrong I just reached Radahn boss fight which feels like final boss but half the map is still unexplored. Did by mistake reach end area?
I did the same. Wasn't intentional, it was just what I found. Had to go and do everything else to power up and come back. Just beat the motherfucker.

simpatico

This is becoming my GOTY, a DLC

Can’t believe the level design in this. From software is just in a league of its own now.
I don't see anything else coming close... Chess vs checkers isn't even a strong enough analogy. From is just on their own tier. Maybe them and Rockstar. Maybe STALKER 2 has a punchers chance if it's absolutely perfect and runs like oiled glass, but only if you're knock Shadow for being "DLC". But in terms of just games you can play for a lot of hours that were released in 2024, I doubt anything gets close to Shadow. In terms of quantity of content I'd say it's easily on par with most full priced releases.

ebevan91

Shadow of the Erdtree definitely feels like GOTY material but I don't think it'd be fair to other amazing expansions like Phantom Liberty and Blood & Wine that didn't get that chance.

Got to that boss half the internet is lamenting about, that twin knight.

Took me 3 tries. The third with a mimic.....
I kinda don't understand the fuzz. Unless you are hell bent on playing without summons this isn't particularly harder than a lot of other bosses.

Shadow of the Erdtree definitely feels like GOTY material but I don't think it'd be fair to other amazing expansions like Phantom Liberty and Blood & Wine that didn't get that chance.
I liked phantom Liberty but this is far superior imo. Blood & wine and hearts of stone I'd agree they should've had a chance.

Top Bottom