• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

ELDEN RING: Shadow Of The Erdtree |OT| ⋆☽ Delve Into The Land Of Shadowy Embrace ✰ The Age Of Stars Is Almost Upon Us! ☾⋆

nkarafo

Haven't played the DLC yet but i have a question before i start.

I'm still on the first run, at the end of the game. I have reached lvl 170 (which should be good for the DLC as i read) and have taken all the items i need. But there is a problem. All the areas in the game have these annoying red flame particles all over the place, floating everywhere. Because of some story related event, whatever, no spoilers. Every single area has them, not just the ones near the tree. Do the DLC areas have them too? That would be too annoying to play...

Last edited:

Antwix

I'm still on the first run, at the end of the game. I have reached lvl 170 (which should be good for the DLC as i read) and have taken all the items i need. But there is a problem. All the areas in the game have these annoying red flame particles all over the place, floating on the air. Because of some story related event, whatever, no spoilers. Every single area has them, not just the ones near the tree. Do the DLC areas have them too? That would be too annoying to play...
No it does not.

I'm still on the first run, at the end of the game. I have reached lvl 170 (which should be good for the DLC as i read) and have taken all the items i need. But there is a problem. All the areas in the game have these annoying red flame particles all over the place, floating everywhere. Because of some story related event, whatever, no spoilers. Every single area has them, not just the ones near the tree. Do the DLC areas have them too? That would be too annoying to play...
do you find water effects annoying when the it's raining?

bender

What time is it?
Finally got to spend a few more than a few hours with the DLC.

+The landscapes and vistas are breathtaking.
+Only two optional dungeons so far and both are varied tile sets and one of the dungeons didn't have a boss at the end. Hopefully that trend keeps up.
+Exploring what feels like a handcrafted world is fun even if the rewards from that exploration are often disappointing.
=Only completed the first legacy dungeon. The layout was nice though it felt a little to generous with Site of Graces and Shortcuts.
=I'm still not sure FromSoftware is comfortable balancing this game. Nothing really presented much of a challenge in the open world (mobs, dragons, Furnace Golem), side dungeons, or legacy dungeons until you get to the last boss in legacy dungeon which felt like the difficulty went up four or five notches. Loved the Divine Beast Dancing Lion design though.
-I was playing with a buddy in a poison area and I told him, "I bet there is an ulcerated tree spirit in this opening" and I wasn't wrong. A lot of the open world design feels overly formulaic.

SJRB

Gold Member
I'm very curious about this DLC because I don't think Elden Ring ever found a balance between difficulty and the summons we have at our disposal (namely mimic tear or tiche). The game is either really hard or really easy and that is, honestly, nonsensical.

There are a million variables to juggle, so of course there are extremes on either side.

The DLC will fuck you up either way. There is no easy mode here.

Last edited:

Kings Field

So I beat the game the other day on PS5 on my level 713 build with max blesings On ng. I thought it would be a cakewalk to go over to Xbox and run my ng+7 character through. Had no issues until Radahn.

I’m a changed man after that. 😳

tommib

Gold Member
I’m absolutely in shock by the amount of areas I keep bumping into. Just dropped into the Darklight Catacombs by absolute chance thinking I was at a dead end.

Orbital2060

So I beat the game the other day on PS5 on my level 713 build with max blesings On ng. I thought it would be a cakewalk to go over to Xbox and run my ng+7 character through. Had no issues until Radahn.

I’m a changed man after that. 😳
Dark Souls Gamer GIF by BANDAI NAMCO Entertainment

Arsic

Loves his juicy stink trail scent
I’ve been saying this since Demon’s Souls 3-1 and 3-2. They’re an undercover horror studio.
I get more terrified at freak beings in a souls game jump scaring me or ganging up on me so I have to run, then any modern horror game.

Pelao

I just finished the DLC. NG+ at level 239.
I loved it, it's my new GOTY and I doubt anything will dethrone it.
I think the discourse about it being too hard is extremely exaggerated, but I will say that the final boss is an absolute son of a bitch.
Still, I love that they brought Radahn back. Probably the most hype moment I've experienced since the fight with Ludwig in Bloodborne.
bP3bjft.jpeg

Last edited:

tommib

Gold Member
I’m absolutely in shock by the amount of areas I keep bumping into. Just dropped into the Darklight Catacombs by absolute chance thinking I was at a dead end.
From giving me the Tomb Raider no one else does. These catacombs keep pushing you down into the bowels of the earth. We’ve never been as deep as here, boys. Totally love the vibe. Like deep sea exploration.

Thank you, Myazaki. With all my heart.

Soodanim

Just a quick reminder that if you're playing offline on PC, Flawless Widescreen is great for increasing the FOV, disabling vignette, increasing the framerate limit, and disabling CA. All you need to do is have it running before you boot the game and make sure you have EAC disabled (instructions in FWS).

DelireMan7

I am a bit confused by "Rellana's cameo" talisman. At first I love the idea :

15% bonus damage when holding a Ash of War for 2 sec. But then I realize that Shard of Alexander (SoA) talisman is giving 15% bonus damage to ALL ash of war... So their is no point using Rellana's Cameo over SoA.
It's more an extension of SoA since you can use it on top of it.
Given the fact it as a downside (Holding a stance for few sec) it should be more powerful than SoA. SoA is just a superior version.

EDIT the 15 % are coming from the Wiki. I might make the comparison in game to be sure.
Did some testing and I confirm that Rellana's Cameo and Shar of Alexander are giving the same boost to Ash of War (15%) despite the fact the cameo has much more restrictions to get its effect.
So the cameo is only interesting to use in addition of the Shard.
I hope it will be buff because now it doesn't make a lot of sense to me. The cameo should do more than the shard due to its restrictions.

Nonetheless I tested the synergy between the 2 talisman and got to beat the Dancing Lion. The Wing Stance (with R2) of Milady was doing 1800 damage ! I suspect the boss to be weak to piercing damage.

Interesting boss visually but too much chaos on screen when in phase 2 making it difficult to read his next move. The ice or thunder effects staying on the ground after he attacks are just annoying and reduces even more your ability to attack it.
Glad I beat him but just an OK fight for me.

Last edited:

Alex11

I'm very curious about this DLC because I don't think Elden Ring ever found a balance between difficulty and the summons we have at our disposal (namely mimic tear or tiche). The game is either really hard or really easy and that is, honestly, nonsensical.
Yeah, I feel the exact same way. I adore this game, but it really has this problem you mentioned, and for me it's most obvious at the Malenia fight.

I wanted to see if I can solo her, couldn't and a few times came close, but in the end I called it quits, total 10-15 deaths. Went with the Mimic, defeated her 1st try.

TheDarkPhantom

Gold Member
It's kinda a shame that games like this weren't around when I was in my online asshole phase in the early 2000's. I had to make to with trolling people in q3 and ut. I'd have been even more obnoxious than you are :D

lol, it's all in good fun. I'm actually the dude helping people beat bosses (I'm soloing everything) so there needs to be balance in the force 😆. All jokes aside, it's a win win either way. If they manage to kill me they get a fuck ton of souls (I won 90% of my invasions last night), if they lose they respawn right there anyway, nothing lost though having to resummon co-op partners must be annoying lol. I farmed over a million souls last night over 90 minutes, good times. There are way more efficient ways to level up but that's not why I'm doing it, it's all about the entertainment!

lol, it's all in good fun. I'm actually the dude helping people beat bosses (I'm soloing everything) so there needs to be balance in the force 😆. All jokes aside, it's a win win either way. If they manage to kill me they get a fuck ton of souls (I won 90% of my invasions last night), if they lose they respawn right there anyway, nothing lost though having to resummon co-op partners must be annoying lol. I farmed over a million souls last night over 90 minutes, good times. There are way more efficient ways to level up but that's not why I'm doing it, it's all about the entertainment!
Hey just go for it, it doesnt bother me anymore as I'm not summoning humans. Invaders used to really piss me off in dark souls as I'm too damn old to beat them. The best I could do was troll them back by hiding. One time I used the item that lets you disguise yourself and just didn't move. The invader ran past my vase 3 times before giving up lol.

Oh that wouldn't have worked with me, I've killed a few Vase Bros in my day 😆
Another trick was using the lie flat gesture in water in dark souls 2. They just couldn't see you. Failing that I'd wait until they found me and jump of a ledge. I think I only won one invasion and that was because they spawned where they couldn't get to me and I sniped 'em to death with my bow. Oh and the monk fight in demon souls where they died before they even reached the boss room!

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
Beat a ghost dragon a knight in a tomb and a basket fire walker. All in a days work. Great stuff.
Yea I set off just going wherever. Ended up fighting some crazy hippo, some plant like beast, and then getting drowned in fire. Also walked some crazy path and got a new weapon. Priceless.

I surpassed my Bloodborne play time with this expansion.

Auto_aim1

MeisaMcCaffrey
My great runes disappeared from the inventory and there's no option while resting. Anyone faced this problem? I am on NG+ and have beaten everything in the main game.

Edit: Lol I didn't activate them.

Last edited:

Diseased Yak

Gold Member
I love this DLC so much. I "think" I have the whole map uncovered.... NOPE! I "think" I'm now able to hold my own after beating a few hard-hitting fuckers and taking down a Furnace Golem or two... NOPE!

Seriously, have beaten quite a few bosses, including Messmer, but it just keeps on coming. Something more to do, something more to see.

Praise the Sun.

Somehow a random ass boss in the overworld has been the most frustrating for me so far, because it was surrounded by adds that I had to kill every time I revived :messenger_grinning_smiling:

Also, this news article they posted on Steam
QzU9XYO.png

GIF by filmeditor

Last edited:

Cyborg

Does anyone know when it's a good time to make a backup save (PS5) for the DLC so that you can redo the missable quests?

SJRB

Gold Member
I wonder how many people tapped out early if they're buffing the first half of the blessing curve specifically.

The player data for this game must be fascinating to see.

Haha patch out after Lhutel and me tag teamed Renalla. Rot Breath still as op as the main game. Enjoying this dlc. Very much a mini sequel to ER.

Boralf

Doesn't this make the middle section too easy again, if you go out and explore a lot? Just like in the base game.

Arsic

Loves his juicy stink trail scent
The final boss Berserk references are pretty great if you saw it the way I did.

Miquella is basically Griffith , and Radahn is Guts. He didn’t want anyone else to have him. His big man squeeze consort.

Agent_4Seven

Tears of Nintendo
SOTET definitely has one of the best and varied (if a bit samey in terms of visual design and aesthetics so far and in the first two maps) mini-dungeon design. Now, if only they combined it with various traps and deadly obstacles like in the main game or in the first Dark Souls, it could've been so much better. One of the reasons I'm saying this is because I'm literally steamrolling through everything in the game so far (except one cheap af and idiotically overpowered staggerfest bird), so a little bit of environmental hazards (as well as simple (at least) pizzles) could've spiced things up a bit while exploring mini-dungeouns and effortlessly killing enemies and bosses (one of which can be found in the open world, so it kinda does not count as a boss, but whatever, the main game had almost (iirc) ~120+ mini-bosses and 85-90% of them were the same).

D1xS4UK.jpeg

Q6yxq3h.jpeg

yu8UI5k.jpeg

Last edited:

Antwix

, if only they combined it with various traps and deadly obstacles like in the main game or in the first Dark Souls,
I wish they brought back mimic chests. That would've been hilarious seeing as how Elden Ring became pretty mainstream and some people playing haven't played dark souls.

R6Rider

Gold Member
I wish they brought back mimic chests. That would've been hilarious seeing as how Elden Ring became pretty mainstream and some people playing haven't played dark souls.
Yes! I greatly missed those guys. The bloodstains were always hilarious too.

Agent_4Seven

Tears of Nintendo
Or some kind of other similar stuff. You see, mimics were cool as a surprise... the first 5 times when they catch you, and then you just instinctively hitting every chest in the game.
Have you played The Lords of the Fallen reboot? Well just in case I won't tell you exactly what they did, but what they did is very clever and cool, but then you just the same starting to check something and... well, again, it loses the charm and surprise effect when you know what to explect and from what even though they did one clever thing which From haven't done.

FoxMcChief

Gold Member
I beat the Death Knight last night. The move to restore his health was giving me a hard time. Just needed to time the side roll perfectly. Not even a pillar could come between his lunge and me. He dropped twin axes.

Top Bottom