• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

ELDEN RING: Shadow Of The Erdtree |OT| ⋆☽ Delve Into The Land Of Shadowy Embrace ✰ The Age Of Stars Is Almost Upon Us! ☾⋆

Antwix

Or some kind of other similar stuff. You see, mimics were cool as a surprise... the first 5 times when they catch you, and then you just instinctively hitting every chest in the game.
Have you played The Lords of the Fallen reboot? Well just in case I won't tell you exactly what they did, but what they did is very clever and cool, but then you just the same starting to check something and... well, again, it loses the charm and surprise effect when you know what to explect and from what even though they did one clever thing which From haven't done.
I tried LotF but couldn't stand it. Just the movement and attacking animations or something were off for me. I just couldn't get into it at all.

But yeah I agree with the potential of being overused with mimics. Would've been cool just to have one mimic in the entire game. Just a lonely chest at the end of a cave or something that turns into a tough mimic mini boss. Just a one and done surprise shock.

I wish they brought back mimic chests. That would've been hilarious seeing as how Elden Ring became pretty mainstream and some people playing haven't played dark souls.
Out of habit, I've been attacking every chest before opening. Secretly been hoping that one of them wakes up and tries to chase me around lmao

It's kinda a shame that games like this weren't around when I was in my online asshole phase in the early 2000's. I had to make to with trolling people in q3 and ut. I'd have been even more obnoxious than you are :D
I used to love invading people in Dark Souls' Undead Burg with my vastly OP end-game equipped SL5 Pyro. I kept that character specifically for when Dark Souls went on sale because there'd be a huge spike in new players :lollipop_weary:

It was fun helping people too, but bullying>

It is communicated upon entering the DLC area, it's very clear.
Yeah, it literally jumps out in your face and provides the information. You even have to close the information window with a button press. I'm fucking staggered by the amount of people who didn't read this basic information.

There was this one absolute fucking tool shed on YouTube that was complaining so much about how unfair and tough the DLC was, but was running through the first real dungeon without looking around or even fighting many enemies. He then got to a site of grace used the blessings and said 'no idea what I'm upgrading here but whatever'. Crazy how people cannot get down basic comprehension skills.

Agent_4Seven

Tears of Nintendo
Mimics should be randomized for each playthrough, that would be badass.
You'll still be hitting every chest to check if it's a mimic or not. But some kind of randmizer could help and it must be not only chests, but literally everything else and part of the environment.

Last edited:
Plateu Spoilers:

When heading towards the Shadow Keep there was a dialogue box saying a great rune has broken and something about another trinket or whatever too

Is that for everyone when in that area? Or was that random?

Antwix

Yeah, it literally jumps out in your face and provides the information. You even have to close the information window with a button press. I'm fucking staggered by the amount of people who didn't read this basic information.

There was this one absolute fucking tool shed on YouTube that was complaining so much about how unfair and tough the DLC was, but was running through the first real dungeon without looking around or even fighting many enemies. He then got to a site of grace used the blessings and said 'no idea what I'm upgrading here but whatever'. Crazy how people cannot get down basic comprehension skills.
Agreed. I don't really watch twitch ever but I enjoy watching people's first playthroughs into souls games and of course nowadays with a new release. But you're right 100%. I don't know if it's some sort of zoomer mentality but a lot of them are just like "ok ok whatever let me play" and close out any intro info into new mechanics. Then of course they whine and complain.

lifa-cobex

Regarding the negative reviews on steam......

This makes sense.

Asmons editor does more investigations than most of gaming journalists

Last edited:

gela94

I'm the biggest idiot ever, I tried to fast travel and couldn't remember how so at a site of grace I accidentally started a new game but now all my unlocked site of graces are gone, so I used cheat engine bit somehow I can't access the underground map.. Any advise?

FoxMcChief

Gold Member
It’s so strange. I played Elden Ring to death on two different platforms. It feels strange bringing my character to areas that are new to me. Like, I’m cautious again, because I don’t know what’s down those stairs, or around that corner.

FoxMcChief

Gold Member
My bleed build from the normal game just ain’t cutting it in the DLC. I might give the new Death Knight Twin Aces a try.

Last edited:

SantaC

I just destroyed the last boss with the most broken sorcery ever and I love it. I think most of you know what I am talking about.

Antwix

Current hotfix calibration patch changes :

Damage from scadutree buffs :
eldenring-Damage.jpg

Damage negation from scadutree buffs:
eldenring-Defense.jpg

"Oh you love the Blackhand Blades and immediately got them to +25?"

"Well here they are again, but now they are big ninja stars AND you can fucking throw them!"

Oh, five minutes later a fucking greatsword rapier thing which fucking rules
R.3d0c2a1277d03da97a9252d397c9f58b

From why :messenger_weary: One weapon slot would have been plenty for me in the base game. Now three isn't nearly enough and I'm finding out how to cycle between half a dozen different weapons. Still very early on in the DLC.

God dammit, it's just too good.

Agreed. I don't really watch twitch ever but I enjoy watching people's first playthroughs into souls games and of course nowadays with a new release. But you're right 100%. I don't know if it's some sort of zoomer mentality but a lot of them are just like "ok ok whatever let me play" and close out any intro info into new mechanics. Then of course they whine and complain.
I like watching first souls playthroughs occasionally as well. It kind of scratches the "wish I could wipe my memory and experience it again" itch. It's hard to find virgin playthroughs that are enjoyable, though. By far, the best that I've seen of big streamers is Courage. I wasn't familiar with him before seeing him play ER. I think he normally plays Fortnite. He knew nothing about souls games at all going into his Elden Ring playthrough. He starts out before playing by stating that he hates hard games, then takes to ER like a duck to water. He engages with all of the systems, solos everything, tries different loadouts, appreciates all of the things souls fans appreciate about the game, etc. and there's not too much raging or over the top nonsense. He also plays melee-only and has gotten really gud. I believe that he's said ER is now his GOAT single-player game.

Last edited:

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
The problem with the whole blessing system is that it really incentivizes running point-to-point, partiularly early on in the DLC, which in turn shows how sparse a lot of the areas are compared to the base game. The way its so more impactful on difficulty compared to levelling (especially given how grindy levelling above 120 is) really encourages this very specific approach.

The more I've played, the better I think the DLC is as a piece of content, but I remain unconvinced that this its an ideal solution. Strengthening the effect is certainly not a fix in my opinion.

Orbital2060

I missed that set apparently. Guess I need to go back.
ELDEN-RING-2024-06-26-16-35-27.png

The head may be a bit too edgelord.

Im looking for something in ER that is as cool as the Forlorn set from DS2. Ive mostly been using Radahns set for some bosses, or as light as possible for low equip. This is pretty light and stats seem decent enough.

DARK-SOULS-II-Scholar-of-the-First-Sin-2024-06-26-18-44-57.png

Last edited:

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
I don't usually rage over these boss fights, but I did with messmer and now the final boss.
They can be very difficult but doesn't make them bad, especially the last boss was god damn epic!

Thankfully unlike Radahn in base game this one can get parried and thats how beat him because I literally didn't have the stamina to dodge through all his attacks.

They can be very difficult but doesn't make them bad, especially the last boss was god damn epic!

Thankfully unlike Radahn in base game this one can get parried and thats how beat him because I literally didn't have the stamina to dodge through all his attacks.
Tbh I've pretty much never used parry in any game ever.

GHG

Steam reviews worked.

How?

Look at the damage and damage negation numbers, they are just giving people the illusion that there's some big change when on balance it's pretty similar.

At least word is starting to get round about the OP builds, so the crybabies can use those if they want.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum

Also I had much easer time with Messmer in second phase compare to first, because it was much easier for me to dodging his snake attacks and after that leaves himself much more open for attack.

Last edited:

MiguelItUp

Just beat it this morning and I loved it. Elden Ring really is a special game, this DLC just adds to it in every way. I can't wait for the next Souls-game that FromSoft puts out.

Killed all of the bosses, just going through and making sure I have all the talismans, armors, and weapons.

FoxMcChief

Gold Member
How?

Look at the damage and damage negation numbers, they are just giving people the illusion that there's some big change when on balance it's pretty similar.

At least word is starting to get round about the OP builds, so the crybabies can use those if they want.
I was joking. I’m messing around with some builds I’ve never tried before, my own builds, not ones found online. Kind of cool that the DLC has me wanting to play the game differently.

Last edited:
Reactions: GHG

MiguelItUp

Messmer down. You can make this game as easy or as hard as you want.
Totally true. Every enemy/boss has their weaknesses. If you play on those weaknesses with the right gear, it'll make for an "easier" experience. If not, it'll probably be more difficult. There are already people that have essentially figured out how to 2-5 hit bosses now.

Reactions: GHG

ebevan91

I finally beat Gaius after trying for a couple hours. Ended up trying out the Black Knight Captain Huw spirit ash after trying to just solo him. I was doing decent enough damage and was consistently getting him to roughly 50% HP left but I was ready to move on so I leveled him up to +10 and summoned him and eventually won. And now I'm about to either explore some more or go fight Messmer. Might explore first.

Last edited:

Lokaum D+

I am taking down the Furnace golem lol

check this out

+
=

Last edited:

kikkis

Have tried rellana for couple of hours with parry strategy on scadutree 5. Almost got it once. I think i should get critical talisman.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
check this out

+
=

I tried this out tonight with a +25 lightning perfume. It works. I had Messmer down half health, but it’s kind of a pain to aim. If you’re not use to cheese walking with OP builds you’ll die before utilizing it. I also didn’t have the gear in that video to boost lightning damage.

I defeated Messmer with a Bloodfiend Arm +25 with Lion’s Claw Ash and Blood infused. For my first go around with the DLC, this was good for me. I got him down to 25% with the Blasphemous Blade, but I wanted to try something else before the nerfs get rolled out.

Messmer down, 🍼👶 is what I’m looking forward to from what everyone here has been saying.

Explored a bunch tonight, found the poison swamp managed to yeet myself into the air and into the back entrance of Fort of Reprimand, and promptly got shit pushed in by a surprise boss battle. Stomped him, explored more, and found myself in a dragon wasteland that I am probably not supposed to be in. The areas in this DLC are so GOOD.

Yeah I definitely went the wrong way and did things out of order. Had a pretty difficult boss fight to the southeast with Bayle the dragon that likes to blow shit up, but the next few minibosses have been absolute pushovers in comparison. Oh well, still having fun exploring and finding new gear to play around with.... but I really should get back on track. I have to finish this DLC before FFXIV expansion is out tomorrow....

Top Bottom