• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

ELDEN RING: Shadow Of The Erdtree |OT| ⋆☽ Delve Into The Land Of Shadowy Embrace ✰ The Age Of Stars Is Almost Upon Us! ☾⋆

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
Beat the final boss with this, thanks friend.
Did you boost lightning damage with talismans?
Already put in another thread, but I'll put it here too for anyone who wants other OP build options. Replayed with Bloodfiend's Arm, these were the result's vs. final boss.

Used cragblade ash of war infused with blood on Bloodfiend's Arm, damage softcap is arcane 80, strength 54, recommend at least arcane 60 and strength 40. Talisman's; axe talisman, lord of blood's exultation, and blade of mercy. Two handed sword talisman is what I went for 4th, but dagger talisman for bonus crit damage probably is probably also really good. Flask tears; stonebarb crack tear and greenburst crystal tear. Can also trade 4th talisman and greenburst for damage negation stuff if need be. Bleed proc and stagger with its R2 is insane.

It's also just a good bonking weapon.

Did you test your results before adding talismans? With random talismans (nothing to help with blood damage) I can stagger the final boss in two hits of R2.

finally beat the final boss.............

That was the first boss in all FromSouls games I´ve played that I couldn`t beat without making a cheese build. I just couldn`t get the dodge timings for the 2nd phase down....bet I died at least 30 times there which is 25+ over my average.....
Wtf those perma AoE strikes.

Last edited:

Northeastmonk

Gold Member

That was the first boss in all FromSouls games I´ve played that I couldn`t beat without making a cheese build. I just couldn`t get the dodge timings for the 2nd phase down....bet I died at least 30 times there which is 25+ over my average.....
Those are FU strikes.

Yeah, that's what I used.
Interesting. What was your scadutree level (just wondering).

Last edited:
Did you boost lightning damage with talismans?

Did you test your results before adding talismans? With random talismans (nothing to help with blood damage) I can stagger the final boss in two hits of R2.
Talismans are all damage. Two handed sword and axe stack to boost charged R2 damage by 25% (I actually edited my post since after double checking two handed sword is much better than axe talisman, so axe could be dropped). The other 2 boost damage after bleed proc and after landing a crit. Cragblade and stonebarb tear are the only things increasing poise damage for stagger (and normal damage too in cragblade's case)

Last edited:

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
Talismans are all damage. Two handed sword and axe stack to boost charged R2 damage by 25% (I actually edited my post since after double checking two handed sword is much better than axe talisman, so axe could be dropped). The other 2 boost damage after bleed proc and after landing a crit. Cragblade and stonebarb tear are only thing increasing poise damage for stagger (and normal damage too in cragblade's case)
Question does two handed sword talisman applies weapons Renllana’s twin blade as well? I ask this because their "two handed" are different than normal weapons.

Last edited:

TheDarkPhantom

Gold Member
I've killed a bunch of bosses including 6 that give Remembrance, just starting Rau area now. I've gone back to previous locations numerous times and each time I've found new stuff including entire sections I missed, it's kind of insane. My Confessor of the Faith is eating well too, lots of new spells and weapons to play around with.

The only thing that bothers me as I'm adventuring through this glorious DLC is the knowledge that we won't see anything from FROM for at least another 2 years and man, Elden Ring will be God damn hard to top, nothing else released this entire generation comes close, Praise the Erdtree!

Edit: forgot to mention I'm intrigued by Trina, still trying to figure out how to...progress here lol.

Last edited:

Arsic

Loves his juicy stink trail scent

That was my issue as well. Second phase was just… I guess put the controller down?

Cheese build here I come!!!

Antwix

Once I started to get the timings down for most of the moves, that (almost) arena wide AOE I countered with an Uplifting Aromatic. Sometimes you're just in the wrong position to get out of the area and it was the only consistent way I found to not get blasted by it.

AJUMP23

Parody of actual AJUMP23
Bloodhound fang at +10 can beat him if you use your mimic..I did it on launch day. Sword is still great in the DLC..with my sedutree seeds I'm at level 6 and my right arm damage is around 1100
Went in there with the npc and mimic and it wasn’t even a battle. Tore that dancing lion up like a hot knife on butter. Thanks for the tip.

Antwix

My obviously subjective, meaningless, "who cares" edition main boss tier list :

S tier - Midra, Messmer, Rellana
A tier - Bayle, Metyr, Romina
B tier - Radahn(would be A tier if his 2nd phase started at more like ~50% hp), Putrescent Knight, Scadutree Avatar
C tier - Dancing Lion (part 2 version would be F tier)
D tier - Gaius, Hippo
F tier - Senassax

All said, pretty good boss lineup imo

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
Talismans are all damage. Two handed sword and axe stack to boost charged R2 damage by 25% (I actually edited my post since after double checking two handed sword is much better than axe talisman, so axe could be dropped). The other 2 boost damage after bleed proc and after landing a crit. Cragblade and stonebarb tear are the only things increasing poise damage for stagger (and normal damage too in cragblade's case)
so I tried to do this exact same build except I’m level 187 with a Scudutree 10. I beat the final boss in 2 minutes. For whatever reason I could get the first part down but fml on surviving afterwards. I didn’t use the same flask and I used a talisman to hold more gear for whatever reason. I used double handed over axe and Lion Claw. Those were the main differences. I’m wondering how much your AR was, but I also used more defensive flask combination than stagger.

I might try a NG+ play to see how I do. I feel like I turned into Bam Bam from the Flintstones. lol I would have liked to have finished this DLC with a character that was more my playstyle.

Last edited:

Barakov

Just beat Rellana and got to Scadu Atlas. What a change in atmosphere. Is this the poison swamp area? It's got that vibe. Also those giant lightning goats are something else.

Just beat Mesmer! Holy shit, what a great fight. Easily one of my favorite bosses that FromSoftware has designed so far. Really fun moveset to memorize and looking for openings. Took him down using guard counters with the deflect hardtear and using unblockable blade.

Also, the Shadow keep was a top-tier legacy dungeon. It was a really cool vibe just climbing higher and higher up the tower.

Tomeru

You lot (🤭) really like the bosses? Imo the quality of bosses dropped over time with each title they release.

This time around they are just combo machines. Every fight is like trying to swat a huge fly. Boring fights. I enjoy the fights against the smaller ones slot more (some of them dungeon bosses are great).

Eveything BUT the main bosses (most of them anyway) is top quality imo.

FoxMcChief

Gold Member
For anyone struggling, the hippo is an optional boss.

Go to Moorth Ruins and find the underground passage. Approach the castle from that side of the map. Figure it out as you go as there are some cool places/encounters along the way.
Just beat the hippo. Pretty cool fight.

Forth

Neophyte
I started ER again from the start about two weeks ago to prepare for the DLC and as much as I and adore this game, it frustrates me so much too.
I just don't have the concentration and patience anymore to analyse the enemy movements, combos and openings.
I find myself just cheesing it by over leveling and brute forcing accompanied with a mimic tear.
Last night I took down Mohg with a co-op summons who absolutely destroyed him before he entered the second phase, unbelievable.
I then got absolutely obliterated by the first spinning disc enemy in the DLC.
I really wish I could play this and other games like it properly by understanding the different builds and weapon types.

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
Man am I retarded.

Unlocked a locked spirit spring (one of those gust of winds that allow Torrent jump high) but forgot to try it, and now I've forgotten where it is. :goog_relieved:

Last edited:

DelireMan7

I started ER again from the start about two weeks ago to prepare for the DLC and as much as I and adore this game, it frustrates me so much too.
I just don't have the concentration and patience anymore to analyse the enemy movements, combos and openings.
I find myself just cheesing it by over leveling and brute forcing accompanied with a mimic tear.
Last night I took down Mohg with a co-op summons who absolutely destroyed him before he entered the second phase, unbelievable.
I then got absolutely obliterated by the first spinning disc enemy in the DLC.
I really wish I could play this and other games like it properly by understanding the different builds and weapon types.
Using summons are a legitimate way to do the game. I know usually the community only acknowledge solo play as the "true way" but play what you want.

If you want to do solo, you have to be patient and analyze pattern. Also be sure to level up correctly and upgrade your weapon.
Which level are you for the DLC ? Below lvl 120 and +25 weapons, you'll have a hard time. The DLC aims for player who beat the game (and that's usually leads you to lvl 130-160 and maxed weapon).

Is it your first Souls game ? Bosses tend to be hyper aggressive in Elden Ring (and several enemies in the DLC) that can make it really hard for a newcomer.
Learning the combat from previous Souls game help a lot to get the good reflexes and bosses are less agressive.

Forth

Neophyte
Using summons are a legitimate way to do the game. I know usually the community only acknowledge solo play as the "true way" but play what you want.

If you want to do solo, you have to be patient and analyze pattern. Also be sure to level up correctly and upgrade your weapon.
Which level are you for the DLC ? Below lvl 120 and +25 weapons, you'll have a hard time. The DLC aims for player who beat the game (and that's usually leads you to lvl 130-160 and maxed weapon).

Is it your first Souls game ? Bosses tend to be hyper aggressive in Elden Ring (and several enemies in the DLC) that can make it really hard for a newcomer.
Learning the combat from previous Souls game help a lot to get the good reflexes and bosses are less agressive.
Thanks from the reply.
I've played other souls games and completed them and I absolutely love them but my concentration falters and I struggle to see the patterns in the bosses move sets.
But I'll keep going and level up more. I'm currently about 103 with a level 8 bloodfang and level 8 blasphemous blade.

I bought the enchant from Sellen so I can enchant my twinblade but I think I need something. Do I need a staff? a seal? How does this work if I want to use the twinblade?

It's my first time using magic in a Souls game. I've beat several already (including Elden Ring itself) but I always go pure bonk

so I tried to do this exact same build except I’m level 187 with a Scudutree 10. I beat the final boss in 2 minutes. For whatever reason I could get the first part down but fml on surviving afterwards. I didn’t use the same flask and I used a talisman to hold more gear for whatever reason. I used double handed over axe and Lion Claw. Those were the main differences. I’m wondering how much your AR was, but I also used more defensive flask combination than stagger.

I might try a NG+ play to see how I do. I feel like I turned into Bam Bam from the Flintstones. lol I would have liked to have finished this DLC with a character that was more my playstyle.
Not sure what AR was, but I was 54 strength, arcane 80, blessing 16 (patch had went up before the fight giving a slightly higher AR). In video I posted, a fully charged R2 hit for 2471 when having cragblade activated, and after all 4 talismans got activated from bleed proc and crit I hit for 3201 with charged R2 and a jumping R2 for 2123. Could make damage even more nuts with exalted flesh and golden vow stacked, but I was hitting so hard I didn't bother.

Last edited:

Ulysses 31

I bought the enchant from Sellen so I can enchant my twinblade but I think I need something. Do I need a staff? a seal? How does this work if I want to use the twinblade?

It's my first time using magic in a Souls game. I've beat several already (including Elden Ring itself) but I always go pure bonk
It's sorcery so you'll need a glintstone staff equipped to use the spell.

Not every weapon can be enchanted by spells, if it's upgraded with somber stones(+10 max) you can't put any enchant on it and can't change the ash of war on that weapon.

Last edited:
It's sorcery so you'll need a glintstone staff equipped to use the spell.

Not every weapon can be enchanted by spells, if it's upgraded with somber stones(+10 max) you can't put any enchant on it and can't change the ash of war on that weapon.
Do I need to be wielding it at the time or just in a slot?
Feel like I've wasted the 3000 runes and the 2 points I put in Intellect but oh well :D
What's a nice build to do with twinblade?

DelireMan7

Thanks from the reply.
I've played other souls games and completed them and I absolutely love them but my concentration falters and I struggle to see the patterns in the bosses move sets.
But I'll keep going and level up more. I'm currently about 103 with a level 8 bloodfang and level 8 blasphemous blade.
Ok.

Level 103 seems quite low. It was the level I was when started the DLC is it was rough. Now at lvl 132 is much better (and weapons maxed out be cause I was only at +15 at the beginning... This was the game changer).

+8 for unique weapons is not bad. Try to max them out quickly.

After there is no secret on soloing bosses : patience, death, observation... I often do attempts where I only focus on punishing a specific pattern/attack I have trouble making some test "Ok let's see if I can parry it." or "Let's try to jump over it"... I know I'll die but I might learn a punish in the process.

But Main bosses of the DLC are pretty overwhelming so it's difficult to keep calm.

DelireMan7

Do I need to be wielding it at the time or just in a slot?
Feel like I've wasted the 3000 runes and the 2 points I put in Intellect but oh well :D
What's a nice build to do with twinblade?
Equip the staff in left hand and the weapon you want to buff on right hand.
Select the sorcery and press L1 (left hand "attack"). It should buff your right hand weapon.
EDIT : You should also equip the sorcery at a grace site

Note that usually unique weapon (upgraded with Somber Smithing stones) can't be buffed

Last edited:
You lot (🤭) really like the bosses? Imo the quality of bosses dropped over time with each title they release.

This time around they are just combo machines. Every fight is like trying to swat a huge fly. Boring fights. I enjoy the fights against the smaller ones slot more (some of them dungeon bosses are great).

Eveything BUT the main bosses (most of them anyway) is top quality imo.
Honestly yeah, I like these bosses better than the base game. Each one has an elaborate moveset that you figure out tells and weaknesses to, and each has been something closer to a dance with a Sekiro boss than a Souls boss (the former game being my favorite). And, like Sekiro, I've had to adjust my playstyle to lean into deflections to punish combo strings. While the experience is very dependent on my build, I'm much more in favor of this boss design since it moves away from roll-spamming your way to victory.

I have yet to come across a truly bullshit attack - everything can be dodged or countered. Some bosses like General Gaius have very quick and extremely punishing moves (ex: boar charge), but I could recognize the tells or combo patterns to prepare for it. I actually enjoyed that fight because I had to keep swapping between riding on Torrent and jumping off to fight on the ground.

I'm on him now and he's ridiculous,like a much faster version of Malenia with more moves
Nah, he doesn't have anything as BS as Waterfowl Dance or the ability to heal himself when landing hits. It's a very fast paced fight, but lots of moves are well-telegraphed and the window between combo strings is very consistent for you to reliably get in your own hits.

Last edited:

Arsic

Loves his juicy stink trail scent
Beat the final boss with this, thanks friend.
Started into this and got the item and put the ashes of war on it.

Don’t have enough stones to hit 25 with it so it’s stuck at level 14.

I don’t have any of the other items this wants and most will require hours of play to unlock. :/

I tried it as is and the damage is awful. Without all this it seems pointless.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
Started into this and got the item and put the ashes of war on it.

Don’t have enough stones to hit 25 with it so it’s stuck at level 14.

I don’t have any of the other items this wants and most will require hours of play to unlock. :/

I tried it as is and the damage is awful. Without all this it seems pointless.
You can go grab the bells and buy them from the round table. Grab the first couple bells and you won’t have to worry about this.

if you decide to go with the blood build and the bloodfiend arm. You can knock him into his 2nd form with 2-4 hits of R2. It has 220 blood damage build up to it. The rivers of blood had 55? I could stagger his 2nd form unless he levitated, then I’d just run away lol

Last edited:

Tomeru

Dunno, I feel these bosses are worse, like they ran out of ideas, and no boss feels really unique (outside of lore and visuals). I find them all similar, unlike bosses in vanilla ER.

Miyazaki said they reached the limit in terms of this scale, and I think it shows. I am excited to see what a smaller project (according to them) will look like.

With this dlc I feel like we've seen anything that can be seen from this engine and type of souls game.

FUBARx89

Finished all main bosses, think just have the dragon from the trailer left.

Final boss and boar boy are both absolute bullshit and I despised the fights. Some right fuckery in the final boss.

I've never been wombo combo'd so badly when going through a fog gate in my life

Last edited:

Fake

Gold Member
I avoid this thread because spoilers, but is there something wrong with this final boss?

Most of the time the hitbox doesn't work, my attacks pass through him.

And in my personal opinion the final boss is very underwhelming in comparison with the rest of the DLC. I guess is my fault to expect something similar to the quality of Bloodborne DLC.

Last edited:

FUBARx89

I avoid this thread because spoilers, but is there something wrong with this final boss?

Most of the time the hitbox doesn't work, my attacks pass through him.

And in my personal opinion the final boss is very underwhelming in comparison with the rest of the DLC. I guess is my fault to expect something similar to the quality of Bloodborne DLC.

The hitboxes for final boss are just shit. I dodged an attack from final boss, then died from a hit when bosses weapon was in the resting position.

Antwix

Has anyone actually beat the final boss without exploits?
Sure. I just used my Guardian Swordspear and did it summon-less. It's not that crazy once you start to understand his moves and experiment on how to dodge/avoid them. Once you're not getting smashed in the face and knocked down or staggered every 2 seconds, there's some opening to get damage in.

The_hunter

Playing an INT build, it's rough.

I got Comet and Scholar's shield, witch works well for phase 1, but phase 2 is too fast for me.

Top Bottom