• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

ELDEN RING: Shadow Of The Erdtree |OT| ⋆☽ Delve Into The Land Of Shadowy Embrace ✰ The Age Of Stars Is Almost Upon Us! ☾⋆

TheDarkPhantom

Gold Member
OK, now that I've beaten the game I'm checking what I potentially missed, first playthrough is *always* no guides the way Marika intended, praise her name. Turns out I found 76 out of the 78 bosses (all solo except final boss, no mimic tear)! The two I missed are in the same location where I've already been but didn't return to yet having defeated *another* secret boss so I'll be doing that today.

My overall thoughts are that this is the best DLC ever made (they kind of could have gotten away calling this ER2 and charged $60 for it). Having said that, it's hard for lightning to strike twice. Even judging the two proportionally based on their size, scope and scale, ER had *a lot* more moments that made me say "WOW!" This is to be expected as SOTET is an extension of a world I'd already spent 200+ hours in, it was never going to surprise in quite the same way.

When looking at individual bosses and level/environmental design there are a couple of standouts that for me are worthy of the FromSoft 'Hall of Fame'. Mesmer and Shadow Keep are god-tier. My journey into the Keep began in the Church District where I immediately got Anor Londo vibes. From there it only got more impressive revealing a level of multi-layered, intricate design full of surprises culminating in an epic battle this side of the Erdtree. Looking at the finale, the cutscenes/presentation of the final battle had the same quality as Malenia (particularly phase 2...) beautiful and awe-inspiring.

With each Souls entry I tend to play a different class. I never use build guides (fundamentally goes against the philosophy of these games, at least on a first playthrough) and with ER I went all-in on Faith. Imagine my delight playing through the DLC and all the new incantations/weapons my Confessor has been blessed with including two which have become *permanent* staples with Mesmer's Orb and Knight's Lightning Spears. I do wonder how other classes feel with the offerings though.

Moving forward it will be fascinating to see what FROM do next. The commercial and critical success of Elden Ring would suggest a sequel is all but inevitable but I don't believe it *has to* go that way. I'd welcome a completely new IP, Sekiro sequel or BB2 with just as much excitement as an ER follow up and I believe a BB sequel in particular could do similar numbers, even keeping the classic, non-open world structure. If they do stick with ER we need to move either far forward or far back in the timeline, lots of other areas to explore based on the various lore entries (an entire game in the Land of Reeds would be like combining Sekiro with ER).

Overall I loved this package, been up past 2am every night since it's release which just doesn't happen anymore and I'm feeling stiffness in my hands from the marathon sessions lol. I'd be shocked if anything could dethrone Elden Ring as my GOTG, nearing 300 hours it has long become my single most played game of all time which is saying a lot because I play a *fuck ton* of games and tend to move on once I've completed one. Can't wait to see what Lord Miyazaki and the FROM Gods do next, day 1 forever and always, Praise the Erdtree! ✴️

Last edited:

Agent_4Seven

Tears of Nintendo
Beaten Rennala yesterday. I think Dark Souls formula especially in regards to bosses (not all), how they work, what you need to do to beat them and what mechanics you have at your disposal to do it starting to crack afaic. Now, let me explain.

So there's amazing spectical and visually stunning bosses like Radahn or Nameless King which is an absolutely fuckin' joy to fight with and take them down, and there's Rellana which is a more or less copy of Pontiff Sulyvahn, she has almost no oppenings, she's extremely agile and fast and your whole strategy to beat her is to just roll around like an idiot from her attacks, make a few hits, rinse and repeat and it's boring af. There's literally zero mechanical depth to fights like this, you can't do shit to counter her attacks, you can't interrupt anything she does so everything you do is just nothing to her and she keeps attacking as if nothing happened, you don't have any tools at your disposal to be more agile, get to her fast without losing stamina and running to her, you're making yourself open to her attacks if you'll start using ashes of war and don't even get me started on her bubble attack.

Here's the thing, I'm not saying she's hard and all that even though she can kill you in literally two hits, she's not hard, she's just super boring, very annoying, tedious and there's zero mechanical depth to bring her down, cuz all you have to do is dodge and make a few hits, or do a bit more hits and get almost killed. From just not even trying to add more mechanical depth to fights like this and it's almost always the same things you need to do. This is such a drastic contrast in comparison to Sekiro where you can counter regular enemy attack even, not to mention insane damage from death from above attacks of one particular boss with a fuckin' umbrella. I mean, ffs, man, I'm sick and tired of the same shit with stupid dodges and doing a few hits thing and that's with even magic stuff you can do which is just not helping at all.

Now, before anyone start to argue that Sekiro is a different game as if I don't know that, they literally added a few gameplay mechanics from Sekiro to Elden Ring, but I will argue that they added the wrong ones and the game needs much more mechanical depth to melee only builds and combat and there must be more options as to what you can do with bosses, cuz as of right now, Rellana is one of the prime examples of dare I say it, creative impotence and downright refusal to change the formula and add more mechanical depth to melee combat when it comes to bosses. It's good that there's more playstyles now with faster greatswords (Rellana's swords actually really good and there's even two different Ashes of War you can perform using them which is cool and super helpful for various situations), and other weapons I haven't even found yet to try (new shields etc.), but Ashes of War won't help you counter Rellana's attacks, won't let you block her bubble attack, won't let you get to her fast, won't let you interrupt her attacks etc. etc. etc.

What I'm trying to say is that melee only combat (I can't imagine archers or mages will do better) in traditional From games and mostly in Elden Ring (cuz it was released after Sekiro, before that we didn't know any better.... well, except the Ninja Gaiden series) and when it comes to certain bosses is not very good at all. I just fuckin' don't want to roll around like an idiot from most of the attacks 90% of the time during a boss fight, I don't want to wear a shield which'll only slow me down. I want to be able to counter boss's attacks, I want to interrupt his/her attacks, I want to block his/her high damage moves with some gadgets etc., I want to be more agile during fights (the fact that you can crank up the Endurance, wear a heavy armor and equip gigantic sword and roll around as if all of this weighs nothing is already stupid and unrealistic) etc.

Even the latest The Lords of the Fallen had more options during boss fights with move interruptions, soul tearing etc. not to mention different runs and effects you can add to a lantern to change things up and have completely different effects which can alter your strategy during fights with even regular enemies. Like, I found this new really cool Medusa Head "Torch/Lantern" in SOTET, why the fuck can't I use it to blind enemies in addition to make myself less visable to them? Why can't I use this during boss fights to interrupt their attacks and bling them even for a few seconds to heal up etc.? Why is it always the same kind of BS with dodges and stuff and literally nothing else for melee builds and during some boss fights?

C'mon! Jesus! Christ! HOW ABOUT SOME ACTUAL MECHANICAL DEPTH IN MELEE COMBAT DURING HUMANOID BOSS FIGHTS?

Ugh, the rant is over. Time to go back to shadow realm.

going-for-a-swim-cooling-down.gif

Last edited:

kikkis

Betten Rellana yesterday. I think Dark Souls formula especially in regards to bosses (not all), how they work, what you need to do to beat them and what mechanics you have at your disposal to do it starting to crack afaic. Now, let me explain.

So there's amazing spectical and visually stunning bosses like Radahn or Nameless King which is an absolutely fuckin' joy to fight with and take them down, and there's Rellana which is a more or less copy of Pontiff Sulyvahn, she has almost no oppenings, she's extremely agile and fast and your whole strategy to beat her is to just roll around like an idiot from her attacks, make a few hits, rinse and repeat and it's boring af. There's literally zero mechanical depth to fights like this, you can't do shit to counter her attacks, you can't interrupt anything she does so everything you do is just nothing to her and she keeps attacking as if nothing happened, you don't have any tools at your disposal to be more agile, get to her fast without losing stamina and running to her, you're making yourself open to her attacks if you'll start using ashes of war and don't even get me started on her bubble attack.

Here's the thing, I'm not saying she's hard and all that even though she can kill you in literally two hits, she's not hard, she's just super boring, very annoying, tedious and there's zero mechanical depth to bring her down, cuz all you have to do is dodge and make a few hits, or do a bit more hits and get almost killed. From just not even trying to add more mechanical depth to fights like this and it's almost always the same things you need to do. This is such a drastic contrast in comparison to Sekiro where you can counter regular enemy attack even, not to mention insane damage from death from above attacks of one particular boss with a fuckin' umbrella. I mean, ffs, man, I'm sick and tired of the same shit with stupid dodges and doing a few hits thing and that's with even magic stuff you can do which is just not helping at all.

Now, before anyone start to argue that Sekiro is a different game as if I don't know that, they literally added a few gameplay mechanics from Sekiro to Elden Ring, but I will argue that they added the wrong ones and the game needs much more mechanical depth to melee only builds and combat and there must be more options as to what you can do with bosses, cuz as of right now, Rellana is one of the prime examples of dare I say it, creative impotence and downright refusal to change the formula and add more mechanical depth to melee combat when it comes to bosses. It's good that there's more playstyles now with faster greatswords (Rellana's swords actually really good and there's even two different Ashes of War you can perform using them which is cool and super helpful for various situations), and other weapons I haven't even found yet to try (new shields etc.), but Ashes of War won't help you counter Rellana's attacks, won't let you block her bubble attack, won't let you get to her fast, won't let you interrupt her attacks etc. etc. etc.

What I'm trying to say is that melee only combat (I can't imagine archers or mages will do better) in traditional From games and mostly in Elden Ring (cuz it was released after Sekiro, before that we didn't know any better.... well, except the Ninja Gaiden series) and when it comes to certain bosses is not very good at all. I just fuckin' don't want to roll around like an idiot from most of the attacks 90% of the time during a boss fight, I don't want to wear a shield which'll only slow me down. I want to be able to counter boss's attacks, I want to interrupt his/her attacks, I want to block his/her high damage moves with some gadgets etc., I want to be more agile during fights (the fact that you can crank up the Endurance, wear a heavy armor and equip gigantic sword and roll around as if all of this weighs nothing is already stupid and unrealistic) etc.

Even the latest The Lords of the Fallen had more options during boss fights with move interruptions, soul tearing etc. not to mention different runs and effects you can add to a lantern to change things up and have completely different effects which can alter your strategy during fights with even regular enemies. Like, I found this new really cool Medusa Head "Torch/Lantern" in SOTET, why the fuck can't I use it to blind enemies in addition to make myself less visable to them? Why can't I use this during boss fights to interrupt their attacks and bling them even for a few seconds to heal up etc.? Why is it always the same kind of BS with dodges and stuff and literally nothing else for melee builds and during some boss fights?

C'mon! Jesus! Christ! HOW ABOUT SOME ACTUAL MECHANICAL DEPTH IN MELEE COMBAT DURING HUMANOID BOSS FIGHTS?

Ugh, the rant is over. Time to go back to shadow realm.

going-for-a-swim-cooling-down.gif
I think parrying makes rellana fun fight.

Reactions: GHG

Arsic

Loves his juicy stink trail scent
Completed all the bosses in the DLC. No bells rung. Solo dolo.

I used in various points:
+25 Katana with Frost
+Blasphemous Blade
+Marika's Hammer (main weapon for majority)

---

To beat the final boss I did the club that you can have do 220 blood build up. Still took me many many many tries.

I haven't ripped that many middle fingers at my screen in my entire life like I did when I beat that boss.

DLC is a 10/10. Takes Elden Ring from being my second favorite Fromsoft game (after bloodborne), to now being #1. BB is #2 now. Abyssal woods is a 13/10 experience. Incredible area top to bottom.

Messemer and Frenzied Flame were my two favorite bosses.

DaciaJC

Gold Member
Hol-ee Jesus, Miyazaki finally did it.

The mad man actually gave us a falx. I've been hoping for one ever since DS1.

falx.jpg

It's unfortunate that they designed it as a dual-wielded weapon, as the real life falx was essentially a two-handed curved sword, but nevertheless I had a huge grin on my face when I saw this dropped by Hornsent. 11/10 DLC

Brigandier

This is an excellent DLC, I just did about 12 hours straight exploring and filling out the map.... Beat Messmer, Scadutree Avatar and Gaius and a few others can't remember names it took me a while to adjust to the difficulty but I'm +9 Scadutree which seems to have helped a lot, Time to head back to Rellana as I couldn't quite finish her off before I went for a wander.

Agent_4Seven

Tears of Nintendo
I think parrying makes rellana fun fight.
You can only do it with a stupid shield:messenger_confounded:

I never liked shield parry in any Souls / traditional From game, the timings for this is off, it never worked when I wanted it to, it looks stupid and ffs, people parried and blocked with swords and shit in real life, why would you ever limit this to a shield and for how many games now? Also, how can anyone ever parry anything with a super heavy tower shield? Anywho, parry is just one thing which can help you and there must be lots more and I can already come up with a dozen based on what's already in the game. Like, why can you dispel enemy spells, but can't step on a sword or whatever, interrupt bosse's attack and hit him in da face like in Sekiro in some situations? Why can't you use some kinda grappling hook to get the boss off balance for a bit, take off his weapon or a shield and create an opening yourself instead of just rolling around like an idiot and wait for the boss to do it for you?

Why can't From just get creative already and finally shake up the formula? Why does it always have to be rolling / dodging, stupid shield parry and Ashes of War now, which could kill you and doesn't help most of the time cuz of long and elaborate animations (through which bosses and enemies can attack and hit you np) with no cancellation etc.? There's literally no other option but to stagger the boss and stop it, but you're not doing much damage and it only happens like... maybe 1-2 times over the course of the fight at best and bosses have insane poise meters. I just don't get it, why is it still exactly the same core stuff 14 years later you have to rely on? You're not even using Ashes during boss fights that much unless it's something like blood katana to inflict blood loss and even this locks you into position and you can't cancel the move if something goes wrong.

Again, I'm not saying all this just cuz I suck and can't beat a boss, I just want more goddamn mechanical complexity and more options after 14 years and Sekiro. I mean, look at all these new and cool Ash of War / playstyle animations, they had the time to do all that and can't make melee combat more complex, fun and add more options to deal with the bosses? C'mon, maaaaaaaaaaaan:messenger_weary::messenger_face_steam:

I'm about to start the fight with the Dancing Lion, hopefully it's much better and more fun than Rellana🤞:messenger_relieved:

Last edited:

GHG

You can only do it with a stupid shield:messenger_confounded:

I never liked shield parry in any Souls / traditional From game, the timings for this is off, it never worked when I wanted it to, it looks stupid and ffs, people parried and blocked with swords and shit in real life, why would you ever limit this to a shield and for how many games now? Also, how can anyone ever parry anything with a super heavy tower shield? Anywho, parry is just one thing which can help you and there must be lots more and I can already come up with a dozen based on what's already in the game. Like, why can you dispel enemy spells, but can't step on a sword or whatever, interrupt bosse's attack and hit him in da face like in Sekiro in some situations? Why can't you use some kinda grappling hook to get the boss off balance for a bit, take off his weapon or a shield and create an opening yourself instead of just rolling around like an idiot and wait for the boss to do it for you?

Why can't From just get creative already and finally shake up the formula? Why does it always have to be rolling / dodging, stupid shield parry and Ashes of War now, which could kill you and doesn't help most of the time cuz of long and elaborate animations (through which bosses and enemies can attack and hit you np) with no cancellation etc.? There's literally no other option but to stagger the boss and stop it, but you're not doing much damage and it only happens like... maybe 1-2 times over the course of the fight at best and bosses have insane poise meters. I just don't get it, why is it still exactly the same core stuff 14 years later you have to rely on? You're not even using Ashes during boss fights that much unless it's something like blood katana to inflict blood loss and even this locks you into position and you can't cancel the move if something goes wrong.

Again, I'm not saying all this just cuz I suck and can't beat a boss, I just want more goddamn mechanical complexity and more options after 14 years and Sekiro. I mean, look at all these new and cool Ash of War / playstyle animations, they had the time to do all that and can't make melee combat more complex, fun and add more options to deal with the bosses? C'mon, maaaaaaaaaaaan:messenger_weary::messenger_face_steam:

I'm about to start the fight with the Dancing Lion, hopefully it's much better and more fun than Rellana🤞:messenger_relieved:

Donald Trump GIF by Election 2016

There are tear mixes and talismans that make pretty much any strategy against rellana (and any other boss) viable. Look at what's available, get creative and have fun.

Edit:

And another one:

Last edited:

Agent_4Seven

Tears of Nintendo
There are tear mixes and talismans that make pretty much any strategy against rellana (and any other boss) viable. Look at what's available, get creative and have fun.
Have you read my post at all? Have I said that I can't beat her? She's long gone, dude.

The point of my post was that I don't want to use cheats to then use basic stuff I already mentioned and which was avaialnle 14 years agon in Dark Souls which is dodge rolls, boss staggers and stupid shield parry. There's zero mechanical depth when it comes to melee combat in traditional From games (I can't say anything about Bloodborne cuz I refuse to play BS PS4 version). You've very limited arsenal in terms of what you can do without cheats and stuff to buff you up, that's not the solution to a problem I'm talking about. Read my posts again please.

And another one:

That one is cool, but again, that's now what I'm talking about and want from the melee combat, it's too simple in terms of combat mechanics.

In other news,....

mh6br8t.jpeg
3ZeF3gM.jpeg
SX9GbNN.jpeg

Now this was an amazing fight, love it to death, just like the bosses I've mentioned in my previous posts from Elden Ring and Dark Souls 3. I died a few times during learning phase at first cuz of delayed attacks and somewhat hard to read patterns, but then I figured it out and it was incredible! Lot's of environmental hazards, AOE attacks and stuff which is fun to dodge and deal with. That's what I call a really well staged, designed and executed boss fight, which also looks really cool and unique! I kinda wish he had way more HP so I could fight him longer or better yet, hey, From, how about updating the game and letting us restart the fights we love after we beat bosses without rune farming and with increased difficulty? I'd love to fight the Dancing Lion again and a much harder version of it for that matter. I wish though that we could catch lightning and throw it at the boss and do some other cool shit, but alas.

Last edited:

GHG

Have you read my post at all? Have I said that I can't beat her? She's long gone, dude.

The point of my post was that I don't want to use cheats to then use basic stuff I already mentioned and which was avaialnle 14 years agon in Dark Souls which is dodge rolls, boss staggers and stupid shield parry. There's zero mechanical depth when it comes to melee combat in traditional From games (I can't say anything about Bloodborne cuz I refuse to play BS PS4 version). You've very limited arsenal in terms of what you can do without cheats and stuff to buff you up, that's not the solution to a problem I'm talking about. Read my posts again please.

I read it and responded accordingly.

Didn't say you couldn't beat her, I'm telling and showing you that you can beat her with a number of different options (which aren't "cheats"), it just involves a little thought in terms of how you set up your talismans, tears and how they will synergise with your ash of war/weapon.

I wish though that we could catch lightning and throw it at the boss and do some other cool shit, but alas.

Carian retaliation is what you're looking for, or at least that's the closest you're going to get AFAIK.

Last edited:

Agent_4Seven

Tears of Nintendo
I read it and responded accordingly.

Didn't say you couldn't beat her, I'm telling and showing you that you can beat her with a number of different options (which aren't "cheats"), it just involves a little thought in terms of how you set up your talismans, tears and how they will synergise with your ash of war/weapon.
Sure, I get that, but it's not mechanical depth I'm talking about, it's just buffs and stuff which reminds me of The Witcher 3 and how you drink a ton of shit to prepare before the fight. What is need here (the way I see it and want at least) is more active stuff in combat, moves and abilities you can perform, different gadgets etc. and just be more involved, cuz to me what you showed (except the last video) it's just cheats, of course not litteral ones but... different kind. Ashes of War is not the answer at all, they're just nice to have when it comes to boss fights and a lot more effective against regular enemies in 99% of the time. It could've helped to say have a shield Ash of War for example to block high damage moves completely or to interrupt attacks to them creat an oppening with timed activation, but there's nothing like that in the game.

I'm just tired from the same shit with these humanoid fights in every traditional game they make.

Carian retaliation is what you're looking for, or at least that's the closest you're going to get AFAIK.
Nah, not even close. Just looked it up and it's pathetic shield parry BS.

Last edited:

GHG

Sure, I get that, but it's not mechanical depth I'm talking about, it's just buffs and stuff which reminds me of The Witcher 3 and how you drink a ton of shit to prepare before the fight. What is need here (the way I see it and want at least) is more active stuff in combat, moves and abilities you can perform, different gadgets etc. and just be more involved, cuz to me what you showed (except the last video) it's just cheats, of course not litteral ones but... different kind.

I'm just tired from the same shit with these humanoid fights in every traditional game they make.

They are tools that add options and mechanical depth to your combat arsenal, all of which then require skill to execute upon.

Explain to me how using the deflecting hardtear or using the heavy wing stance attack to jump over incoming attacks/projectiles is akin to a "cheat"? Have you tried it yourself?

Nah, not even close. Just looked it up and it's pathetic shield parry BS.

Huh? It's not a shield parry?

Last edited:

Agent_4Seven

Tears of Nintendo
They are tools that add options and mechanical depth to your combat arsenal, all of which then require skill to execute upon.
How can you call buffs and talismans a skill? The skill is what you can do in Sekiro with all the gadgets and moves you can do during combat to counter enemy attacks, deflect most attacks to them deal a lot of damage, be a lot more active in combat, completely block high damage attacks with gadgets and so forth. This is what I'm talking about here, not some buffs and talismans, which btw Sekiro doesn't have.

Explain to me how using the deflecting hardtear or using the heavy wing stance attack to jump over incoming attacks/projectiles is akin to a "cheat"?
I'm talking about buffs and talismans, obviously.

Have you tried it yourself?
I don't have deflecting hardtear yet so I haven't tried and I also have't used heavy wing stance to jump over attacks - I've other means to do that with the ash of war I have which deals aoe damage with magic, not just regular attacks. But the things you're talking about here again are not the things I'm talking about, or at least it's not the full picture. Deflecting hardtear, looks interesting though, I'll try to mess aroung with it when I get it.

Last edited:

Agent_4Seven

Tears of Nintendo
GHG GHG got the deflecting hardtear and tried it. Works wonderfully! Though way too fast enemies are hard to block like the motherfucker with two chakrams.

The main issue I have with it is that you can't use it with Rennala's swords or basically any other dual wield weapons, you can only use it with two handed weapons like long / huge swords, katana's etc. cuz otherwise block turns into a light attack, which.... well it sucks. Rennala's swords are awesome and fast, not to mention two different ashes of war you can use. I wish I could replay Renalla now to test it out, but I can't with all the mods installed and stuff to make the game better.

Okay, that's deflecting done (need to practice I bit though cuz it's different than in Sekiro and you can't use it all the time cuz of limited flask quantity, which is not good), what about move interruptions, counters, building stagger meter with well timed deflections, using various gadgets, grappling hook etc. to help during the fights as well like blinding, smoke bombs etc. etc. etc. etc. Don't tell me all of this would't added much needed variety to boss and even regular fights. Dragon's Dogma 2 for example has grapling hook, it's far from being overpowered and yet it helps a lot during combat (though being locked behind a class is super stupid idea).

Last edited:

sloppyjoe_gamer

Gold Member
I two shot them.

Marikas hammer praise be.

I just beat all bosses today except Bayle and final. Going to do bayle later tonight.

No cheese build thus far. I use various weapons defending on the boss. Main success is from Marikas hammer. Can’t recommend that thing enough lol.

I ended up seeing I locked myself out of the purple Saint lady quest completion. The other guy I never found and bum rushed the main path for dlc so I locked myself out of it when I got to her wondering wtf do I do.
Is marikas hammer that big ass hammer with the flame boost? I have a massive hammer thats +10 and does the flame boost in my attacks but what else and how should i boost it?

The_hunter

Hol-ee Jesus, Miyazaki finally did it.

The mad man actually gave us a falx. I've been hoping for one ever since DS1.

falx.jpg

It's unfortunate that they designed it as a dual-wielded weapon, as the real life falx was essentially a two-handed curved sword, but nevertheless I had a huge grin on my face when I saw this dropped by Hornsent. 11/10 DLC
Didn't know about this weapon, I looked it up because of your post. It's a Thracian/Dacian weapon. It has a sharp inner blade. Falx means sickle in Latin. Depictions of it exist on Trajan's column.

Last edited:

SJRB

Gold Member
Wow I beat Messmer first try, wtf. That fight was over in a heartbeat, my Mimic Tear and the Hornsend summon were a great help. Sick ass cutscenes too, that was gnarly.

It's crazy to see the summon sign inside the area because I'm pretty sure that means no health buff for the boss.

Also found out Bloodhound Step works wonders against the red cloaked enemies.

Last edited:

Arsic

Is marikas hammer that big ass hammer with the flame boost? I have a massive hammer thats +10 and does the flame boost in my attacks but what else and how should i boost it?
No no. Marikas hammer is the drop you can get from beating the final boss of the base game. It’s the same hammer Marika uses on you, and the same fly into the sky then slam the ground with holy AoE.

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
THOU SHALT NOT EVADE THE FLAME OF MESSMAH

Fire Elmo GIF

Holy kino. Silly haircut tho.

Bloobs

Al Pachinko, Konami President
Where did you go wrong, exactly? I'm asking because I thought I did as well based on some incorrect quest guide info. It turned out not to be the case. I was able to recover and get the drops from him.

Killed one of them bugs and he invaded me

Arsic

You know it dawns on me I never found the actual cover art of Elden Ring armor or the one in the trailers that’s red.

SJRB

Gold Member
The world is amazing but sometimes a litlle bit underused imo. Certain areas are just too empty

I thought it was excellent how there's basically no life in this barren, almost alien wasteland. It's just you and the ever increasing elements while you make your way to the top. I mean the place is 100% uninhabitable, it makes sense for it to be basically lifeless. Aside from the random dragons.

Still not sure how to find the map for this area though.

You know it dawns on me I never found the actual cover art of Elden Ring armor or the one in the trailers that’s red.

Armor from the cover art is the Fingerprint armor worn by Vyke. It's very cool and has decent stats.

Bloobs

Al Pachinko, Konami President
I thought it was excellent how there's basically no life in this barren, almost alien wasteland. It's just you and the ever increasing elements while you make your way to the top. I mean the place is 100% uninhabitable, it makes sense for it to be basically lifeless. Aside from the random dragons.

Armor from the cover art is the Fingerprint armor worn by Vyke. It's very cool and has decent stats.

Yeah you might be right. Finding that map isnt where you think it might be.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
Is it safe to say that Shadow of Erdtree takes place after the main game? Since Miquella takes Mohg's remain we killed and brings Redahn back to life after we kill him in base game.

Arsic

Man fuck around and go get it later just to add to the collection.

Beating the dlc leaves you in an existential state. Other games seem like dog shit in comparison so you don’t know what to do or play. I restarted dark souls 3 just because I never did the second dlc.

Miyazaki leaving me blue balls once again upon completing one of his games.

Orbital2060

I spent a LOT of time finding the map fragment locations for Southern Shore and Abyssal Woods today. Plus the entrance to the area behind Shadow Keep. Dude, this map is huge. Im gonna be busy for a while, with not too much time to play during the week.

Antwix

Really wish we had more of Melina. I liked her. Oh well, at least we find out a little bit more about her

That she is Messmer's sister

Arsic

Really wish we had more of Melina. I liked her. Oh well, at least we find out a little bit more about her

That she is Messmer's sister
Safe to say too that
it may be her eyeball he had that he cracked. Since she’s missing that one correct?

Arsic

Is it safe to say that Shadow of Erdtree takes place after the main game? Since Miquella takes Mohg's remain we killed and brings Redahn back to life after we kill him in base game.
I don’t think so. It seems to run side by side. Hence why you need to kill the two bosses you do to enter the dlc. Once they die it sets off the chain of events there in the shadowlands. After which you would go back and finish the game per usual.

Antwix

Safe to say too that
it may be her eyeball he had that he cracked. Since she’s missing that one correct?
I don't think so. I could've sworn I saw an item description or 2 that said/implied something about that.
Something about how his eye was "grace" from Marika. Similar to the Iris of Grace item. Also during that cutscene, he looks back and up at the Marika Statue and says "forgive me" or something similar to that

Last edited:

SJRB

Gold Member
I absolutely love how Needle Knight Leda is sounding more and more unhinged and psychotic as the game progresses.

I'm not sure where where the story is going but the bits and pieces I've found in the world are so good.

Messmer down. Tons of fun, and another good, but not miserable challenge playing with all of the summons.

Could hardly get a hit on to start. It became about learning to dodge the first move and summoning the help before he hits with it. Then finding a window to call in my Mimic and get to full health. Using the deflection Tear for this fight kicked ass too, that thing rules. Then it was just a ton of fun to go 3v1 against him, still got my ass kicked a dozen times or so. But it was a blast, especially that second phase, shit gets crazy.

His full outfit looks like shit, but the chest and helmet are sweet and the Spear looks fucking sick even if I don’t see myself seriously using it.

R6Rider

Gold Member
Explored the area right above where the DLC starts. It actually loops back around.

Then I explored more beyond the Dragon Communion location and went down to the Cerulean Coast. Those lightning wisp things DO NOT fuck around.

Using a bit of powerstanced spears (including the new Swift Spear) now along with my scythe.

Bosses defeated today:
Dancer of Ranah
Death Rite Bird
Ralva the Great Red Bear

Last edited:

Forth

Neophyte
I re-specced my character to a Blasphemous Blade build and really enjoying it.
I beat the dancing lion and then went back to the haligtree and put down Melania.
I honestly don't know how anyone beats these bosses without a summons but I think I can safely say that Elden Ring with the DLC is my favourite open world game ever made.

Top Bottom