• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

ELDEN RING: Shadow Of The Erdtree |OT| ⋆☽ Delve Into The Land Of Shadowy Embrace ✰ The Age Of Stars Is Almost Upon Us! ☾⋆

TheDarkPhantom

Gold Member
The Manse has become the new invasion hotspot it seems, my fellow Tarnished have moved on from Mesmer. Couple of hours of invasion shenanigans last night, so damn fun lol. First time I've had a situation where I took out *4* people, a new Hunter was automatically summoned after I killed the first one, plus cooperator and Host:

Unfortunately I cut the vid too early but as can be seen the Host essentially gave up, sitting by the bonfire waiting to die, I obliged him lol. Lots of fantastic battles here, I uploaded a bunch of vids. Pulled Blasphemous Blade out of retirement too but it's really my incantations doing all the heavy lifting.

As much as I liked the level leading up to this place I still think it doesn't compare to Forbidden Woods in Bloodborne.

Arsic

Loves his juicy stink trail scent
You can go grab the bells and buy them from the round table. Grab the first couple bells and you won’t have to worry about this.

if you decide to go with the blood build and the bloodfiend arm. You can knock him into his 2nd form with 2-4 hits of R2. It has 220 blood damage build up to it. The rivers of blood had 55? I could stagger his 2nd form unless he levitated, then I’d just run away lol
How does this other build work for the blood build?

I’m down to try that if it’s less of a time sink than the perfume.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
How does this other build work for the blood build?

I’m down to try that if it’s less of a time sink than the perfume.
You can utilize Lord of Blood Exultation, Blade of mercy, and two handed talisman. Use the Arsenal Charm if you need to med roll with heavy armor.

For that heavy weapon I had 50 str, 30 dex, and 77 Arcane. High arcane, more blood damage.

Two hand that thing. You can use mimic if you want. R2 hits real hard. Get it to +25 and put Lions Claw or something good for its ash. I use Opaline Bubbletear and Opaline Hardtear for defense flask.

Strategy
use the flask in his second phase if you have to. You will probably need to dodge his purple psycho crusher if he starts with that. You can actually call your summon right when you walk in and he won’t do anything. He starts the psycho crusher sweeping attack right away, so it’s a 50/50. R2 or use Lion Claw ash after he does a heavy swing. In phase 2 you just need to keep hitting him, so stay close if you have to. Your mimic can have him running around. I should post my run. My first time beating him was crazy.

Here is my kill so it might show you what to do. Don’t judge too harsh now.

Last edited:

TheDarkPhantom

Gold Member
Funny seeing all these messages in Rauh saying "still no map", I found the map to this area looooong before I ever really entered it, if you know you know...

I can't believe how many new incantations this DLC throws at you but my Faith has never wavered, now I'm being rewarded lol

Edit: lol, just beat the main boss here on my first attempt, memories of Quelaag 👌

Last edited:
After exploring a ton, finally think I'm done with Gravesite Plain, Cerulean Coast, and most of Jagged Peak. Unreal how huge the map is. Also finally went back to do the first legacy dungeon (Belarut).

TheDarkPhantom

Gold Member
Damn, just found a secret boss that gives Remembrance, this is why you frequently go back to places you've been, speak to old friends, Praise the Erdtree. ✴️

BlueAlpaca

There should be a redundant 5-10 scadutree fragments, it's easy to miss with such a big game and especially with some of them disappearing with the pot shadow enemy.

Orbital2060

I went on a roundabout before dealing with Mesmer and ended up beating (DLC boss) Romina. Obvious similarities with (main game boss)Malenia and scarlet rot. The torpedo attack from above is similar to the one Malenia does. Probably the coolest encounter so far, I loved it. And it came at the end of a long winded trek from the Ruah bonfire, no map lol. A long walk in the dark and trying to find a way forward. Up and down cliff sides and dark tunnels, this game is something else. Those damn Fire Knights, when you least want to see one.

In the Romina encounter I ended up using the (new DLC item) Mottled Necklace +2 which I found on the way there but I cant remember the spot. I tried with and without it, and almost every time without it I got the full scarlet rot ticking away. While with it equipped, I didnt catch the debuff once, in a bunch of attempts. So you dont need to equip the antidote and worry about that.

ER-roundabout.png

Last edited:

DaciaJC

Gold Member
Hmm, so Messmer isn't the big bad final boss I've been hearing about? How much more is left after beating him? It seems like I have most of the map explored with the exception of the dark chunk in the NW quadrant and the area behind the Shadow Keep that I'm not sure how to access yet.

Antwix

Hmm, so Messmer isn't the big bad final boss I've been hearing about? How much more is left after beating him? It seems like I have most of the map explored with the exception of the dark chunk in the NW quadrant and the area behind the Shadow Keep that I'm not sure how to access yet.
In my playthrough, it was around the half way point. Everyone's gonna have a little bit of a different experience though.

For example, I didn't find Cerulean coast until well after I beat him.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster

I believe the boss you mention is unique as he's the only one in the game that blocks off an entire legacy dungeon beyond the one he's found in. The others you can get around, and even though really the dancing lion should be done early on, it doesn't really stop your progress until way later, as initially it opens up into a dead-end.

Got to say as well that the DLC works really well when you haven't finished the main story; I speedran a new char to Mohg and so my progress hadn't reached Farum Azula when I started the DLC. Been jumping around playing catch-up and it feels really good to have so many areas to explore and questlines to close up before getting past
Messmer
Main game feels so frickin' easy mode now though :)

Last edited:

Orbital2060

Messmer down. With a big hand from the Hornsent, who somehow had his gold summon sign up inside of the fog area and so I dont think he doubled Messmers health pool? Post fight he had some lines of dialogue, before disappearing after resting at the bonfire again. Ive spoken to him before so maybe thats a questline going on, I dont know..

I also switched out rotten sword insignia and bloods exultation for the physical and fire damage negation trinkets, which helped a lot with Messmers fire incantations and melee, plus the snake bombs from above in the second phase.

Last edited:

Sounds like you have a good chunk to explore and some bosses that are not easy.

I think the biggest boss in that area is much harder than Messmer.

Did you kill the old dragon in the south east? That guy is a bastard

TheDarkPhantom

Gold Member
DLC complete, final boss was the only one I didn't solo, did it with one other random. Could have got it done with time and patience (nothing will ever top Ishin lol) but I just wanted it over and done with. Need to gather my thoughts but for now it's pretty easy to declare it my GOTY, Praise Miyazaki, Praise FROM, Praise Kind Miquela ✴️

Fake

Gold Member
Miquela arc/plot is total trash. In the other hand Leda and all those warriors questline was amazing, not to mention the fight between all them. Probably the top aspect of the DLC IMO.

And the new weapons are super cool. Really love using the new ones.

Last edited:

DelireMan7

Did a lot of exploration. Cerulian Coast is nice but empty. Just some minor bosses not really interesting. But I'll have to go back to a certain place once I did something but don't know what yet.

The jagged peak is... annoying. At first I was really hype (I mean dragon and this field of finger, I can only get excited for that)
But in the end you fight dragons you already fought dozen of time in the base game. Then a old dragon which was always the bad designed in my opinion (lock on only on the head ?!).

Then
Bayle (not yet beaten) is nice but he ressembles too much a standard dragon. Just hitting very hard. Second phase looks more epic EDIT : Phase 2 suffers a bit too much of the "I fill the screen with FX effect to make it harder to understand what's going on". I summon Igon because I think it's needed for its sidequest and his pretty damn cool !
Curious about the lore. If I interpret right, it's Bayle who wounded Placidusax

Forgot to mention the camera and lock are shit. Only the head ? And when you close to hit him you can always see what he'll do.
I just redid Placidusax and I confirm this is my favorite fight of the game and pretty high in the entire Soulsborne franchise. A dragon fight done right.

Last edited:

SJRB

Gold Member
Haven't been able to play in days and seeing spoilers about story and bosses pop up everywhere as the world makes its way through the DLC feels bad man.

Playing these FROM games is always a race against time honestly and I guess it was inevitable, but it still sucks to know who the final boss is for example when I haven't even fought Messmer yet.

3bo7xoe2gsa91.jpg

simpatico

I'm thoroughly humbled by this. lol.

Making nice progress today. Got through the Shadow Keep onto the new patch of land North. Found a few graces, killed a loitering hippo, but some more Sedu nuts. Things are good.

For weapons I'm cycling between: Moon Veil, Backhand Blades, Milady, Great Katana. All maxed out and Cold. DEX 50, INT 70 (taking it to 80). Moon Veil is still the go to more the most troublesome. Great Katana overhand ashes R2+L2 can put a lot of the toughest enemies in a stun lock cycle. If you have enough stamina fighting them is now trivial.

Also rocking the good ol +10 Pulley Bow for distance cheesing and splitting up groups. Carian Regal Scepter. Main spell is Rock Sling, I mix in a little Comet. Is this the best Staff I can be using for my build? I kinda forget the entire staff roster. Looking at my inventory I'd say yes, but I dunno. Feels like I could do better there. I just use Rock Sling to wear down that stagger bar.

simpatico

Haven't been able to play in days and seeing spoilers about story and bosses pop up everywhere as the world makes its way through the DLC feels bad man.

Playing these FROM games is always a race against time honestly and I guess it was inevitable, but it still sucks to know who the final boss is for example when I haven't even fought Messmer yet.

3bo7xoe2gsa91.jpg
For me it's location spoilers. I avoid videos. Hell I didn't even watch the trailer before playing.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum

His fantastic boss, most my death against him is result of me getting too greedy and try to get too many hits.

And if you his attack pattern then you find out most actually lives him self wide open after most his big jump attack.

R6Rider

Gold Member
Does anybody have a Scythe (just the regular one) they wouldn't mind parting ways with?

You can only get one per playthrough and I want to powerstance them!

Danjin44

Yeah they're all pretty trash. Rellana's and Messmer's are cool and fun though. Also shoutout to the flower, that one's cool too.
I like Rellana‘s twin sword a lot, the fact its light great sword which has great moves set but also enjoy its unique skill.

Antwix

Does anybody have a Scythe (just the regular one) they wouldn't mind parting ways with?

You can only get one per playthrough and I want to powerstance them!
I wouldn't mind but I'm on xbox and there's no crossplay. So if you're PC/PS, no dice.

edit: I'm pretty sure you could check out the ER discord or the reddit community (i think it's "patches emporium") and pretty get a bite there.

Last edited:

DaciaJC

Gold Member
Holy shit FUCK Shadow Keep.

Guys it's not just me, right? This dungeon fucking sucks. I don't understand why those red cloak flame throwing guys are so insanely strong.

I found that guard counters are pretty effective against them, two or three break their stance. But yeah, they can be scary.

Barakov

Guys it's not just me, right? This dungeon fucking sucks. I don't understand why those red cloak flame throwing guys are so insanely strong.
Yeah, they're incredibly obnoxious to fight, especially in close quarters. I'm playing a caster so I can usually take them down before they get close but not always. Like DaciaJC said guard counters really help here.

Arsic

Loves his juicy stink trail scent

I two shot them.

Marikas hammer praise be.

I just beat all bosses today except Bayle and final. Going to do bayle later tonight.

No cheese build thus far. I use various weapons defending on the boss. Main success is from Marikas hammer. Can’t recommend that thing enough lol.

I ended up seeing I locked myself out of the purple Saint lady quest completion. The other guy I never found and bum rushed the main path for dlc so I locked myself out of it when I got to her wondering wtf do I do.

The_hunter

Yeah, they're incredibly obnoxious to fight, especially in close quarters. I'm playing a caster so I can usually take them down before they get close but not always. Like DaciaJC said guard counters really help here.
You can also use impaling thrust ash of war to guard break them with 2 hits

Last edited:

Bloobs

Al Pachinko, Konami President
Damn, just beaten Messmer with my mimic first attempt. Had a little help from Hornsent too. Praise easy mode. Rellana was a cake walk too. Also discovered the whole map. That forest area without your mount sucks. Havent done the Manse yet.

Danjin44

I have really good combination. I use the Milady with Chill mist in right hand while Rellana’s sword left hand. When you do this you carry fire sword on the left…that means you can inflect frost while undo frost with left sword had so you can build up frost again.

Top Bottom