• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

ELDEN RING: Shadow Of The Erdtree |OT| ⋆☽ Delve Into The Land Of Shadowy Embrace ✰ The Age Of Stars Is Almost Upon Us! ☾⋆

Fake

Gold Member
Is it safe to say that Shadow of Erdtree takes place after the main game? Since Miquella takes Mohg's remain we killed and brings Redahn back to life after we kill him in base game.

Can't say. Much is not explain, like Malenia already told that Miquella is one of the most powerful, but for different reasons. His incantation can even control demigods like Mohg, but not fully the Tarnished?

Is kinda silly to think Miquella did all this for pretty much a silly objective, I was thinking in IDK take his mother place or control everyone.

Man fuck around and go get it later just to add to the collection.

Beating the dlc leaves you in an existential state. Other games seem like dog shit in comparison so you don’t know what to do or play. I restarted dark souls 3 just because I never did the second dlc.

Miyazaki leaving me blue balls once again upon completing one of his games.

Post-game melancholy hitting hard. I always need to play an entirely different genre afterward, and often I choose something short and mid to get a little space to avoid constantly comparing because whatever you play next, you'll see flaws in no matter how good.

Bloobs

Al Pachinko, Konami President
Got to the final boss second stage

Florida Lead GIF

Done pretty much everything I think. Need to off Bayle, some dragons and golems.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
Is kinda silly to think Miquella did all this for pretty much a silly objective, I was thinking in IDK take his mother place or control everyone.
His trying to take his mother’s place while making Redahn as his consort to make the world “gentler place”.

The game started very strong with Belurat and Castle Ensis, but I have to say I'm a bit bored now. Every other area I explored feels empty and the enemies are becoming too easy and repetitive. It's strange that there're many areas where you even get the summon sign as if an important enemy is coming, but there's actually nothing.

I hope it gets better, but it made me realize that I much prefer the experience of a linear game. DS2 DLCs in particular are perfect in terms of pacing and challenge.

AJUMP23

Parody of actual AJUMP23
I finally beat the fire gollum in the scuda region. 20 tries maybe.

still haven’t been able to get one in the head with a pot. I need some cheese strats for the fire gollum.

Arsic

Loves his juicy stink trail scent
Post-game melancholy hitting hard. I always need to play an entirely different genre afterward, and often I choose something short and mid to get a little space to avoid constantly comparing because whatever you play next, you'll see flaws in no matter how good.
Four hours into DS3. Forgot enough that it’s fresh plus I need to do the second dlc.

Never did a thief build in any of these games so I’ll try a light dagger or twin blade build to see how it goes.

simpatico

I beat Messmer tonight. 5 or 6 tries maybe? Great boss for sure, but the difficulty was a bit overhyped. Maybe it's just way harder for no summon gang in the DLC? He kinda reminded me of a late game DSIII boss. I know I spent about twice as long at Rellana and had to go putz around and come back. I somehow made it through Shadow Keep down an alternate path and continued on that path for like 10 hours until I had nothing left to do. I'm looking all over for this guy before I went back to that place out of desperation. However, I do have all that post Messmer shit done before you do the thing. So I went and did the thing and packed it up until Wednesday after work. We got a short week bros.

Arsic

Loves his juicy stink trail scent
I beat Messmer tonight. 5 or 6 tries maybe? Great boss for sure, but the difficulty was a bit overhyped. Maybe it's just way harder for no summon gang in the DLC? He kinda reminded me of a late game DSIII boss. I know I spent about twice as long at Rellana and had to go putz around and come back. I somehow made it through Shadow Keep down an alternate path and continued on that path for like 10 hours until I had nothing left to do. I'm looking all over for this guy before I went back to that place out of desperation. However, I do have all that post Messmer shit done before you do the thing. So I went and did the thing and packed it up until Wednesday after work. We got a short week bros.

Every boss becomes trivial when you summon a mimic, a real person , or AI summon to tank a boss for you and do extra damage.

Idk why you would gauge game difficulty based off of the hardest part being done for you.

The only problem i have with Elden Ring is the enemy balance. Too many enemies in the open world just offer no challenge ...you hit them once or twice and they're dead and the only challenge comes from the occaisional mini boss or in Legacy Dungeons.

I didn't really start loving this game until Leyndel. Is there any surprise as that area is most similar to ds1/ds3/bb/sekiro's carefully crafted difficulty curve and level design, which is probably only possible when the game is more linear

Last edited:

simpatico

Every boss becomes trivial when you summon a mimic, a real person , or AI summon to tank a boss for you and do extra damage.

Idk why you would gauge game difficulty based off of the hardest part being done for you.
It does break a lot of the aggressiveness in the bosses since someone always has time to breath. Just comparing it to my other Souls experiences. Ringed City was a lot harder for my build. With summons. Not to mention most of the DS2 DLCs.

Last edited:

Haven't fought Messmer yet, but I'm part of no summon gang and I think the same thing about Rellana. Thought it would be a huge wall and at first it seemed so, but it ended up being around the same difficulty for me as the Dancing Lion at around 5 tries. People have different experiences though, I had the absolute worst time against Malenia - it took me several hours over the course of 2 days to beat her - no idea how many attempts. Other people seem to have breezed by, IDK.

Buggy Loop

Gold Member
I can't quite grasp Messmer. Bad timing maybe with a new build just before... I did so many bosses in the DLC, Bayle included (awesome fight), but the timing of Messmer with latent attacks is off putting.

ssringo

Finally finished the DLC and my first playthrough impressions are incredibly "meh". Everything felt very unrewarding with enemies being super easy or annoying to learn and exploration was just awful outside of the Shadow Keep areas. I kinda don't want to bother doing another playthough of it. At least not anytime soon.

What I actually want to do is trade some DLC gear to new characters and play through the base game with that stuff to see how everything interacts. Especially the martial arts stuff.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
What I actually want to do is trade some DLC gear to new characters and play through the base game with that stuff to see how everything interacts. Especially the martial arts stuff.
Yea I thought about that too. I want to explore the DLC map more before going on. I also want to see how the Dual Shield does. It’s fun to fight with it. I’ve been switching between a Dual Shield and Dane’s Footwork.

I enjoyed it. There are some parts of the map where I’m confused on how to get there. I thought they added some interesting stuff, especially the dungeons. The dungeons feel a lot more thought out than some of the base games. I cannot for the life of me find the map in the southeast.

Last edited:

James Sawyer Ford

Gold Member
Finally finished the DLC and my first playthrough impressions are incredibly "meh". Everything felt very unrewarding with enemies being super easy or annoying to learn and exploration was just awful outside of the Shadow Keep areas. I kinda don't want to bother doing another playthough of it. At least not anytime soon.

I hate to say it but I agree with you. I’m not done yet, but close…and I think I’m just tired of this formula

I miss the more well crafted, intimate areas of something like Bloodborne, in addition to boss fights that felt satisfying to defeat.

Elden Ring just has bosses that aren’t fun due to their wildly aggressive move sets and inability to really control the camera or move enough to adequately keep pace. So the game just devolves to overpowering your way through

I just felt kinda empty playing this. I need something more substantial and deliberately designed in the future.

I felt like I was going through the motions but not really having a great deal of fun with it

FoxMcChief

Gold Member
I absolutely love how Needle Knight Leda is sounding more and more unhinged and psychotic as the game progresses.

I'm not sure where where the story is going but the bits and pieces I've found in the world are so good.
I just reached what I think is the climax to that story.

So far the only thing disappointing about the DLC is how there is absolutely nothing for int builds. Unless there is a slew of stuff later on, I have found a grand total of one weapon that is decent (and it's a copy of another weapon from the base game, in every aspect except the ash of war).

FoxMcChief

Gold Member
I’m torn on the DLC. But honestly, like James Sawyer Ford James Sawyer Ford , I think I’m just over the formula. It does help that I’ve 100% both the Xbox and PS5 versions as well.

The boss fight with the 3 phases almost made me drop the game. Like, it was dumb and served no purpose other than to annoy players.

Side note, I think it’s cheap that so many enemies have one hit kill moves.

Last edited:

Danjin44

Side note, I think it’s cheap that so many enemies have one hit kill moves.
I have played DLC twice and none of the enemy had one hit kill, including final boss.....Even Meliqua's grab attack, you need to get hit twice by it before instant kills you.

FoxMcChief

Gold Member
I have played DLC twice and none of the enemy had one hit kill, including final boss.....Even Meliqua's grab attack, you need to get hit twice by it before instant kills you.
Mesmer has a grab that kills me with one hit. There were some red named enemies that would stagger then one hit kill me.

What level are you? What’s your health?

I was around 160 with the Mesmer fight, and my health is 1568.

Danjin44

Mesmer has a grab that kills me with one hit. There were some red named enemies that would stagger then one hit kill me.

What level are you? What’s your health?

I was around 160 with the Mesmer fight, and my health is 1568.
I had 60 vigor unless my health is kind of low that grab doesn't one hit kill you.

R6Rider

Gold Member
So far the only thing disappointing about the DLC is how there is absolutely nothing for int builds. Unless there is a slew of stuff later on, I have found a grand total of one weapon that is decent (and it's a copy of another weapon from the base game, in every aspect except the ash of war).
I know the weapon you're talking about. They were really lazy with that one. Couldn't even change the color.

FoxMcChief

Gold Member
In the DLC enemies do lot of damage, 40 no where near enough. I highly suggest you to bring your vigor to 60 because later one you gonna experience lot of pain.
I saw that they sadly removed the best cheese leveling up bug. My heart aches, lol.

Cyborg

Could anyone please tell me when it's safe to go ahead and break the
spell of Miquella
? I did it yesterday by random luck but it affected a lot so just put my old save file back.

Tomeru

I had 15 blessing level and still most enemies easily clean half of my 60 vigor health bar and I was wearing decent armour too.
That can't be right. I have 15 blessing, tree sentinel armor and 50 vigor, and I dont take that much damage...

kittoo

Cretinously credulous
Damn, just beaten Messmer with my mimic first attempt. Had a little help from Hornsent too. Praise easy mode. Rellana was a cake walk too. Also discovered the whole map. That forest area without your mount sucks. Havent done the Manse yet.

LOL same here. My mimic and Horsenet kinda finished Messmer by themselves lol. I barely got a few hits in.

But I have a real problem with the final boss and that dragon on the peak, which is that they start attacking instantly and by the time I am done with casting my mimic (which itself takes away quite a bit of your health), they are going berserk over me and finish me before I can do anything else. Kinda bad design.

FoxMcChief

Gold Member
LOL same here. My mimic and Horsenet kinda finished Messmer by themselves lol. I barely got a few hits in.

But I have a real problem with the final boss and that dragon on the peak, which is that they start attacking instantly and by the time I am done with casting my mimic (which itself takes away quite a bit of your health), they are going berserk over me and finish me before I can do anything else. Kinda bad design.
It shouldn’t be easy to summon your mimic, imo.

DelireMan7

The base game taught player they can always summon instantly and safely at the beginning. DLC throw that away.

I think it's fair. You have to find the good moment to summon. Like Dodge the first attack and then summon.

Bloobs

Al Pachinko, Konami President

Gitgud chump. Ive yet to beat them, just gotta put in that work.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
Gitgud chump. Ive yet to beat them, just gotta put in that work.

No its just sloppy design.

Seems to me that people tend to overlook with all the "git gud" talk, is that if that was the intention why bother with all the RPG elements? Just make it a straight up character action title with innate skill-checking based purely on performance? All the tools they give you are intended as options to make progress attainable without perfect timing and pattern learning.

Creating bosses that attempt to OHKO you immediately you enter the arena is cheap as hell, but what makes it especially egregious is how it basically makes using summons incredibly dicey and in so doing limits tactical options.
If they didn't want people to use them, then they should've straight up disallowed it like they do in Mausoleums or Gaols, extra buffed the bosses to compensate or something.

Having them basically bum-rush the player is not an elegant solution imho.

kittoo

Cretinously credulous
It shouldn’t be easy to summon your mimic, imo.

The base game taught player they can always summon instantly and safely at the beginning. DLC throw that away.

I think it's fair. You have to find the good moment to summon. Like Dodge the first attack and then summon.

I don't disagree with this in theory. The problem is, when am I going to get time to cast mimic (which has a fairly long animation) while fighting the boss? These bosses are so fast and relentless that it's hard to find time to summon once the fight starts.

Bartski

Gold Member
No its just sloppy design.

Seems to me that people tend to overlook with all the "git gud" talk, is that if that was the intention why bother with all the RPG elements? Just make it a straight up character action title with innate skill-checking based purely on performance? All the tools they give you are intended as options to make progress attainable without perfect timing and pattern learning.

Creating bosses that attempt to OHKO you immediately you enter the arena is cheap as hell, but what makes it especially egregious is how it basically makes using summons incredibly dicey and in so doing limits tactical options.
If they didn't want people to use them, then they should've straight up disallowed it like they do in Mausoleums or Gaols, extra buffed the bosses to compensate or something.

Having them basically bum-rush the player is not an elegant solution imho.
No it isn't.

The game requires you to at the very least to find an opening to drop a summon. Imo 100% intentional and the only tactical option it's limiting is pulling aggro away from you at the very start of the fight.

SJRB

Gold Member

Same with Commander Gaius and the Shadow Sunflower.

This is a definite design change compared to the base game where bosses almost always give you a small window of time to summon.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
The game requires you to at the very least to find an opening to drop a summon. Imo 100% intentional and the only tactical option it's limiting is pulling aggro away from you at the very start of the fight.

Sorry, just seems like a cop-out to me. Especially given how wonky the balancing is generally across the dlc. I mean right now there are so many utterly broken builds that trivialize every fight in the game.

Top Bottom