• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

ELDEN RING: Shadow Of The Erdtree |OT| ⋆☽ Delve Into The Land Of Shadowy Embrace ✰ The Age Of Stars Is Almost Upon Us! ☾⋆

DelireMan7

I don't disagree with this in theory. The problem is, when am I going to get time to cast mimic (which has a fairly long animation) while fighting the boss? These bosses are so fast and relentless that it's hard to find time to summon once the fight starts.
I see what you mean. Boss looks very agressive and relentless. Don't get me wrong they are, but you can actually find quite some gap to punish or summon.
For Bayle for example, you could probably summon after avoiding his grab attack. He's quite open after that. Or there is a 3 hit combos he does where he finish with a charged wing electrified attack. He's has rather "long" recovery time that.

Also there is a specific summon for this fight a bit after you enter the boss. It's part of a quest but it's not to difficult to do.

Last edited:

Orbital2060

Oh no I cant summon right away

You mean I have to actually get good at something?

Sad John Cena GIF

DelireMan7

I beat the Putrescent Knight. Interesting boss. At first I didn't like it at all : aesthetic design not so interesting (I though it was a minor boss, was surprised to get a Remembrance for it) and I could get his moveset.

Then I succeed to understand his kit and find counter for everything. I had a blast in the end.
This is the kind of fight I like and want more : clean moveset, "easy" to read and still challenging due to its constantly changing timing during its chain (and overall weird way to move, at least for me) and he's moving so you have to dodge in certain way to be able to punish it.
Rellana was one of those too.

I prefer that than bosses like Dancing Lion or Bayle which rely, on their second phase, on too much visual effect covering the screen and "remanent" attacks with ground exploding or lighting striking 1 sec after there attack just to reduce your window of punish. It just feels cheap to me. Unfortunately I have the feeling this is the general direction they want to go.

mdkirby

Been playing about a week now, I don’t see why everyone is complaining about how hard it is. Seems no different to their other games. These games are always only as hard as you choose for them to be. There’s always relatively easy ways to play them, and unlike others, the open world nature means if you getting crushed, just go find something else to do to power up…and or find boss guides that may require you to go off and find new weapons or spells to make life easier.

I was getting crushed at the start too…used the new upgrades which helped, then found a tip for the twin blade boss that had me go find the finger print shield and bleed+rot poking sword. Made them easy and has made most things easy (and by easy I mean low skill easy). The lion and hippo were walks in the park. Messmer is giving me some grief at moment, but I had his health down to 1/5th before giving up for the night. So he’s doable.

Ulysses 31

Some funny takes(some bosses worse than Bed of Choas :messenger_winking_tongue: ) about the DLC here at 8:45 - 32:50 and 3:55:05 till 4:46:10.

But I do kinda agree, a lot of bosses bosses have become a bit too magical with anime moves and unconventional telegraphing where as in older souls gravity seemed to be more of a thing. Also the camera is also a boss when enemy moves fast around you, with visual clutter.

Last edited:

Orbital2060

Maliketh is one encounter from the main game where you cant always summon at the start, either. In his cloaked form. He sometimes charges straight at you, so you have to find a spot and time for it behind one of the pillars.

ssringo

But I do kinda agree, a lot of bosses bosses have became a bit too magical with anime moves and unconventional telegraphing where as in older souls gravity seemed to be more of a thing. Also the camera is also a boss when enemy moves fast around you, with visual clutter.
This is where I'm at. I think base Elden Ring was the line for a lot of this stuff and the DLC crosses that line. It's not that that stuff is bad (OR TOO HARD) just better suited for a different game or at least different player mechanics. Several times I found myself thinking "this would be so much more enjoyable playing as The Wolf".

Alex11

Some funny takes(some bosses worse than Bed of Choas :messenger_winking_tongue: ) about the DLC here at 8:45 - 32:50 and 3:55:05 till 4:46:10.

But I do kinda agree, a lot of bosses bosses have became a bit too magical with anime moves and unconventional telegraphing where as in older souls gravity seemed to be more of a thing. Also the camera is also a boss when enemy moves fast around you, with visual clutter.

Agree also with his take on the bosses, and yeah, for me the bosses are the worst part of ER, hell, I think of all From games, except Sekiro. The fact that everything else is amazing, makes me tolerate the bosses.

But that's why I think they made the ash summons for the game, I know people like to say that that's a no no, or it's not the right way or whatever, but that's a load of crap, it was clearly designed with it in mind.

In their defense, I think that the sheer amount of weapons and skills, items and whatnot makes it a bit hard to have bosses that suit everyone.

FoxMcChief

Gold Member
I will say that it seems like bosses have longer combos than in the base game, same with some of the bigger “normal” enemies. But like all things From Software, you just got to wait for the ideal openings.

Arsic

Loves his juicy stink trail scent
LOL same here. My mimic and Horsenet kinda finished Messmer by themselves lol. I barely got a few hits in.

But I have a real problem with the final boss and that dragon on the peak, which is that they start attacking instantly and by the time I am done with casting my mimic (which itself takes away quite a bit of your health), they are going berserk over me and finish me before I can do anything else. Kinda bad design.
I watched a stream of a guy doing mimic the second he walks into Messemer fight, and then just prepares to roll for the spear dive he does and a second roll right after to avoid the fire AoE splash.

He did the fight like 3 times before I went to watch something else but every time messemer opened up with the same move.

When I flight him solo it was the same he always goes up on the sky to dive down. I had enough time to run almost up to him before he dives down.

So this bull shit you can’t get a summon off before he hits you is a false narrative.

Edit: Thinking over a few fights and I think the only one I could see the not being able to pop a summon walking into the door is probably the final fight. That boss 100% dives you instantly 6/10 times you walk into the arena. I had a few times when I’m solo he must slowly lumbers towards me instead.

Last edited:

kittoo

Cretinously credulous
I watched a stream of a guy doing mimic the second he walks into Messemer fight, and then just prepares to roll for the spear dive he does and a second roll right after to avoid the fire AoE splash.

He did the fight like 3 times before I went to watch something else but every time messemer opened up with the same move.

When I flight him solo it was the same he always goes up on the sky to dive down. I had enough time to run almost up to him before he dives down.

So this bull shit you can’t get a summon off before he hits you is a false narrative.

Edit: Thinking over a few fights and I think the only one I could see the not being able to pop a summon walking into the door is probably the final fight. That boss 100% dives you instantly 6/10 times you walk into the arena. I had a few times when I’m solo he must slowly lumbers towards me instead.

I never pointed out Messmer in that regard. Only the final boss and that dragon on the peak.

Arsic

I never pointed out Messmer in that regard. Only the final boss and that dragon on the peak.
Misread my bad.

Yeah I could see final boss instant diving being an issue, but now you get to learn to evade bosses like the rest of us.

*laughs in giga chad*

FoxMcChief

Gold Member
I’m farming some runes to step up my Vigor game. There’s a new spot that lets you have a fire golem thing kill tons of enemies on a bridge twice in like 30 seconds, netting you like 40k each cycle. More if you use the golden pickled foot thing, or the new item you in the DLC that does the same thing.

sloppyjoe_gamer

Gold Member
No no. Marikas hammer is the drop you can get from beating the final boss of the base game. It’s the same hammer Marika uses on you, and the same fly into the sky then slam the ground with holy AoE.

Thank you for telling me about Marikas Hammer. I grabbed it last night from the Fingers room lol, and updated it to +10. It really is a beast! That Golden Breaker move works great on bosses too as you're pretty much immune once you start the animation to leap in the air and the cheap fucks can't cancel it lol I took out two bosses last night with it.

Other than getting it to +10, is there anyway i can further power it up or am i pretty much at the top with it as it is?

Arsic

Thank you for telling me about Marikas Hammer. I grabbed it last night from the Fingers room lol, and updated it to +10. It really is a beast! That Golden Breaker move works great on bosses too as you're pretty much immune once you start the animation to leap in the air and the cheap fucks can't cancel it lol I took out two bosses last night with it.

Other than getting it to +10, is there anyway i can further power it up or am i pretty much at the top with it as it is?
It’s scales off of faith and strength. So you can add talents that give you plus holy damage, plus faith, and I haven’t done enough testing, but the plus jump talisman might also work since you are in the air when you do that move.

Edit:

I dual wield it. Jump attack with it is good when you can’t get a special off.

You can get to 40 faith and also use the erdtree faith casting item to do flame grant me strength, the black defense one, and blessing of erdtree.

Also if you do use a mimic please know they use all things equipped so always take off secondary equip items and only keep on the weapon so it doesn’t try to cast spells.

I cooked up this build in base game after I beat it to to to new game plus. I also tested some bosses on my second go with mimic to learn that, and when you both use the special? Bosses melt. It’s hilarious. Plus if the mimic takes aggro you’re in good times to go use the special.

Lastly make sure you bring enough mana pots too if the opponent has a lot of life and you need to keep casting.

This build is really good solo in the dlc without any summons especially on dragons.

Oh and if you pick a shield off hand without any ability on it, then you can still use the special with a shield in hand.

Last edited:

Arsic

I usually don't have issues with the camera when fighting the bigger bosses but I constantly lost target lock on him during his dive bombs and napalm runs.
I think it unlocks you on purpose doesn’t it?

It’s so you go “oh shit” and start running with the camera up in the sky,

At least that’s what I did.

GAF won’t like it but I killed him first try lol. More likely luck than skill but I’ll take it. SuckNSex before him gave me a much harder time.

bender

What time is it?
I think it unlocks you on purpose doesn’t it?

It’s so you go “oh shit” and start running with the camera up in the sky,

At least that’s what I did.

GAF won’t like it but I killed him first try lol. More likely luck than skill but I’ll take it. SuckNSex before him gave me a much harder time.

I think it has more to do with range of the enemy than purposefully dropping target lock. It just makes blocking those attacks more difficult than it should be.

Arsic

I think it has more to do with range of the enemy than purposefully dropping target lock. It just makes blocking those attacks more difficult than it should be.
Wait you’re trying to block those moves?

I rolled and ran haha.

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
That's not even one level up.
d767a82d-1ae3-479b-b2c2-f1892fd08169
Like half of it yeah. But still, they were MY runes, and now they are gone.

Runes other than using to upgrade your weapons, it rarely matters.

don’t stress over losing runes in boss fights…..Now you can actually focus on the fight rather trying to get your runes and get killed by it.
This is so true man. I was dying a lot because of that: start the fight focusing on retrieving your runes, you get hit in the process, get nervous, heal at the wrong time, hit again... Fuck that.

Anyway, the snake dude is down! Pretty kino bossfight, but once you learn the patterns I'd say it's easier than both the lion and Rellana. (first dlc bosses)

DaciaJC

Gold Member
Alright, I think I'm at my wit's end. I cannot figure out how to get to the Rauf map and the rest of that lower area. Fog Rift Catacombs doesn't lead to it, Rivermouth Cave doesn't lead to it, the ancient ruins are miles above it. Would anyone be so kind as to drop a hint?

SJRB

Gold Member
The exploration in this game is unreal. I stumble upon the Cerulean Coast (amazing color palette), decide to wander off to the furthest extent, find a huge hole in the ground and by some miracle see a ledge so I slowly make my way down. Once down suddenly there's this huge.. yeah I don't even know what this area is, but it's called Stone Coffin Fissure and looks sick.

I can't believe how massive this DLC is.

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
I killed Messmer with 31hp left

Sweating James Mcavoy GIF
Season 4 Fighting GIF by The Simpsons

The exploration in this game is unreal. I stumble upon the Cerulean Coast (amazing color palette), decide to wander off to the furthest extent, find a huge hole in the ground and by some miracle see a ledge so I slowly make my way down. Once down suddenly there's this huge.. yeah I don't even know what this area is, but it's called Stone Coffin Fissure and looks sick.

I love when those kind of games just seem to keep going and going. Pure adventure joy.

Diseased Yak

Gold Member

I went home for lunch and found this place as well, took me a few tries to kill the fucker at the end of it! One of those that doesn't have a ton of hitpoints but hits like a fucking truck.

Buggy Loop

Gold Member

Elden ring exploration is KING. Open world games feel tame in comparison now. It's so well built. It's open world but the crafting of the world is so good that it feels constantly like a tight Souls experience honestly.

Alex11

Elden ring exploration is KING. Open world games feel tame in comparison now. It's so well built. It's open world but the crafting of the world is so good that it feels constantly like a tight Souls experience honestly.
For me the exploration and level design is the game's strongest point, it is quite amazing.

TintoConCasera

I think it's because the open world isn't very "open", but rather a collection of big hallways connected by larger areas. Leaves tons of opportunities for cool level design.

It sort of reminds me of Skyrim's design, just better and with more verticality.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
7iOP8W6.jpeg

I finished my second playthrough of the DLC and with that I can finally close the chapter on Elden Ring.

Elden Ring was so fucking good but after close to 900 hours I put in to this game, I think it’s time to move on and be ready for FROM’s next project.

Last edited:
Top Bottom