• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

ELDEN RING: Shadow Of The Erdtree |OT| ⋆☽ Delve Into The Land Of Shadowy Embrace ✰ The Age Of Stars Is Almost Upon Us! ☾⋆

FoxMcChief

Gold Member
Just ended a 10 minute break from work, playing the game the way it’s meant to be played.

GRbiRCEb0AMHm3Z

SJRB

Gold Member
I am in awe at the Saint Trina segment after the Stone Coffin Fissure boss fight.

The vibes, the music, the weirdness of it all, beautiful and haunting at the same time. How do you even come up with this? Amazing.

I was pretty close to dropping this DLC two days ago because I ran into some walls but I am super happy I pushed through.

Boralf

Anyone using the smithscript weapons? Might be nice for all those bosses that keep jumping all over the arena and are constantly out of melee range. Do weapon buffs work on them?

simpatico

Well, it's in the name, SunhiLegend. Dude is mad good at both video games and video editing. I think he works for Guerrilla Games these days. 🤔
Are they allowed to play From Software's games at GG again? I know when Elden Ring dropped one of the higher ups lamented the poor quest design. Need better quest markers and makes a few sentences describing the objective on the screen at all times.

simpatico

Anyone using the smithscript weapons? Might be nice for all those bosses that keep jumping all over the arena and are constantly out of melee range. Do weapon buffs work on them?
I'm gonna speed run my STR FTH character just to play with those. The stat requirements really pain me. I wanna throw big hammer and bonk :/ I think I'm around lvl80. Hopefully I've got the stamina after finishing the DLC. They look really fun. The weapons in this DLC are the best of any Souls game (haven't played BB can't comment). Most of the ones I've tried are like playing Elden Ring 1.5. I don't remember DLC weapons ever hitting this hard and really changing the game. I use Milady, Backblades, Beast Claws and the Great Katana. I'm getting ready to level the Dry Leaf Arts after watching one of my summons go full Ryu turbo mode on a side dungeon boss. It was magnificent.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
Danjin44 Danjin44

Does the scadurtree level stay the same on the second playthrough, like the flasks, or do you have to find them again?
Actually in my second playthrough I used different save file because I want to go through it again but with different build, so I start DLC with no scadurtree once again.

Last edited:

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
That part is related to Thiollier’s quest line (the guy with mask)
I have him there with Trina, but he's doing nothing.

Guess I'll have to come back later or something. Anyway, thanks for letting me know that's all there is to it.

linko9

Just finished everything, spent about 40 hrs total, 6 on the final boss lol.

10/10 DLC until that final boss. I finally admitted defeat and used a spirit ash (mimic) for the first time ever in the game. Seriously, the difficulty spike is beyond anything I've seen in a souls game. What's truly annoying to me is that using the mimic tear, I beat it on the second try after 6 hours of trying solo. Never really was able to learn any of the patterns in the second phase.

That aside, some of the best area designs in the game are in the DLC. Especially liked Ruah ruins. I do wish there was one more "legacy dungeon" style area (beyond Messmer's castle), but can't really complain— some came close, but ended up being pretty small. Some really good bosses too. Unfortunately no new weapons that really tickled my fancy.

The exploration in this game is unreal. I stumble upon the Cerulean Coast (amazing color palette), decide to wander off to the furthest extent, find a huge hole in the ground and by some miracle see a ledge so I slowly make my way down. Once down suddenly there's this huge.. yeah I don't even know what this area is, but it's called Stone Coffin Fissure and looks sick.

I can't believe how massive this DLC is.

I found it the other day, purely by accident. My reward for carefully descending was... you don't have the right, O', you don't have the right. Excited to return once presumably the force field is gone.

That was just... incredible.

Agent_4Seven

Tears of Nintendo
Man, I fuckin' LOVE From's castle designs and art, they're goddamn dark fantasy gods!:messenger_horns::messenger_halo:
Lu2yRue.jpeg

Z6JMXsf.jpeg

legCxYs.jpeg

6fy4hFo.jpeg

PGSJudq.jpeg

suU2tkH.jpeg
It's also great to see more eastern-like designs and motives this time around with excellent levels of detail and complexity, and when I look at the pices of the map I unlocked so far and see even more huge castles and cities further north and northeast....

fyeah.gif

NeverYouMind

Gold Member
Man, I fuckin' LOVE From's castle designs and art, they're goddamn dark fantasy gods!:messenger_horns::messenger_halo:
Lu2yRue.jpeg

Z6JMXsf.jpeg

legCxYs.jpeg

6fy4hFo.jpeg

PGSJudq.jpeg

suU2tkH.jpeg
It's also great to see more eastern-like designs and motives this time around with excellent levels of detail and complexity, and when I look at the pices of the map I unlocked so far and see even more huge castles and cities further north and northeast....

fyeah.gif
I still laugh when seeing giants traverse tiny stairs and players taking a minute to go from one end of a room to the other. The Spanish and Byzantine castles that have elements ripped off are not exactly beautiful either.

Arsic

Loves his juicy stink trail scent
7iOP8W6.jpeg

I finished my second playthrough of the DLC and with that I can finally close the chapter on Elden Ring.

Elden Ring was so fucking good but after close to 900 hours I put in to this game, I think it’s time to move on and be ready for FROM’s next project.
AC6 time? Cuz it’s sooooo good.

I started playing recently and have only beaten one main boss (got remembrance) The dancing Lion one, few mini bosses in the tombs and one npc invader. I decided to explore, unlock the map and graces and randomly got a message about great rune and a charm being broken while just travelling. So how screwed am I? Did this event cause any major changes to the overworld or npc quests I have not even started yet?

DaciaJC

Gold Member
Praise the Two Fingers! Glory to the Mimic Tear!

KyV2Ilf.jpeg

Yeah, that second phase was utterly insane, I really hope they tone it down because I am very much not looking forward to facing it with my solo UGS character.

My favorite boss would have to be either Rellana or Metyr, Mother of Fingers - both are great examples of bosses with well-telegraphed moves, a nice back-and-forth rhythm with the player, and enough spectacle to tickle the eyes without becoming overbearing.

My favorite area is without question Abyssal Woods, I had an absolutely cracking experience exploring that place.

Agent_4Seven

Tears of Nintendo
The Spanish and Byzantine castles that have elements ripped off are not exactly beautiful either.
I'd love to play From game which take place in the giant castle with different bioms/sections, environmental hazards, traps and challenges, hidden rooms and paths, shortcuts to unlock etc.

I mean, Elden Ring just has these massive open fields and stuff which looks beautiful for sure, but when it comes down to it, it's just a giant open and empty spaces with almost nothing in them but enemies and it's... boring.

Last edited:

Raven117

I'd love to play From game which take place in the giant castle with different bioms/sections, environmental hazards, traps and challenges, hidden rooms and paths, shortcuts to unlock etc.

I mean, Elden Ring just has these massive open fields and stuff which looks beautiful for sure, but when it comes down to it, it's just a giant open and empty spaces with almost nothing in them but enemies and it's... boring.
That’s basically dark souls

DelireMan7

I am on Gaius. I call bullshit on the charge hitbox and damage.
Sometimes I can roll through it.
Sometimes I roll throught it but I get hit for 40% damage.
Sometimes I roll throught hit and fet it for 80 % damage.
Once I roll through it and got one shotted (1814 hp, lvl 9 blessing).

I get that sometimes my timing might not be good and the hit register as a counter attack but the roll seems so inconsistent that it's really annoying.
Especially when he decide randomly to do it at the end of chain where he is usually open for punish.
So good also when he does it 3 times in a row.

I get all the first phase understood except the charge.
Now I have to learn phase 2

SJRB

Gold Member

I get that sometimes my timing might not be good and the hit register as a counter attack but the roll seems so inconsistent that it's really annoying.
Especially when he decide randomly to do it at the end of chain where he is usually open for punish.

Gaius is just a bullshit boss, honestly. No doubt he will get tweaked in a future patch.

DelireMan7

Gaius is just a bullshit boss, honestly. No doubt he will get tweaked in a future patch.
I start to think so.
The Charge is the new Waterflow with bullshit window to dodge it.

Dying to it is so infuriating

On the brightside I found the "street fighter " weapons. It's really cool to use. Love it.

I used to think Gaius is BS, until I faced the final boss, who makes Malenia look like child's play.

If any boss needs to be nerfed, it's the final boss. The phase 2 is so stupid.

Danjin44

I have no problem with no other bosses in the DLC but agree on Gaius. No matter how I time my dodges 5% of the time I get lucky I won’t get hit by it.

Even the final boss, as strong as that boss was there was always way to avoid his attacks or parry it.

But Gaius is walking hitbox which most of time you can’t avoid getting hit.

Last edited:

DelireMan7

I used to think Gaius is BS, until I faced the final boss, who makes Malenia look like child's play.

From all I heard from the final boss, the fact I got spoiled and the generalphilosophy for boss in the DLC, I am pretty sure I'll hate it

DelireMan7

I have no problem with no other bosses in the DLC but agree on Gaius. No matter how I time my dodges 5% of the time I get lucky I won’t get hit by it.

Even the final boss, as strong as that boss was there was always way to avoid his attacks or parry it.

But Gaius is walking hitbox which most of time you can’t avoid getting hit.
I agree on Gaius. Except the charge hitbox, I find him fair (for the DLC, he's still super oppressive). You can dodge all his attack. At least phase 1.
From what I have seen from phase 2 it looks OK.

But each time he does the charge, I feel I have no control on avoiding damage or not.

Danjin44

I agree on Gaius. Except the charge hitbox, I find him fair (for the DLC, he's still super oppressive). You can dodge all his attack. At least phase 1.
From what I have seen from phase 2 it looks OK.

But each time he does the charge, I feel I have no control on avoiding damage or not.
His phase 2 is waaay better, in that phase he use gravity to charge at you which much easier to avoid and other than his bull charge, his other attacks are avoidable, even his long combo string.

DelireMan7

His phase 2 is waaay better, in that phase he use gravity to charge at you which much easier to avoid and other than his bull charge, his other attacks are avoidable, even his long combo string.
I just got a very good attempt then I avoid a stomp, gor for a punish but he decide to go for a charge. Few times before it didn't get me but this time it oneshotted me...

Yes I also have the feel the gravity charge is much better to avoid.

Yes I got the long combo dodge timing done. Good punish after

Yoboman

Are they allowed to play From Software's games at GG again? I know when Elden Ring dropped one of the higher ups lamented the poor quest design. Need better quest markers and makes a few sentences describing the objective on the screen at all times.
Elden Ring does have poor quest design. Fucking abysmal

Love the game still

ebevan91

Yeah I'm at the final boss now and he's ridiculously hard. I don't think I've even taken off 20% of his health yet.

Last edited:

Danjin44

Yeah I'm at the final boss now and he's ridiculously hard. I don't think I've even taken off 20% of his health yet.
My personal solution beating him was parry. Not all his attack but some of the attacks he does frequently I can parry which lets me cancel most his hard to dodge combo string.

Some of the bosses like Radegon and this final boss, it much better to parry than dodge.

Last edited:

SJRB

Gold Member
Elden Ring does have poor quest design. Fucking abysmal

Love the game still

Quest design in FROM games is atypical and extremely obtuse which makes for an unfamiliar experience. No other game handles NPC quests like these games. There's no log, there is no waypoint. You have to remember your interactions with any NPC and keep track of the events that happen as you progress through the story.

But it fits with the overall vibe of the game. I wouldn't want the game spelling out everything. And ultimately it doesn't even matter all that much if you finish a quest or not, it's usually just lore and worldbuilding.

Cyborg

Just a question; is Mesmer the end of the story or just a boss you need to kill to progress the story? Please dont spoil anything just help me out.

SJRB

Gold Member
Just a question; is Mesmer the end of the story or just a boss you need to kill to progress the story? Please dont spoil anything just help me out.

Hard to answer this because the answer itself could be considered a spoiler, but he is not the end.

Last edited:

DelireMan7

Gaius done !!! (With the Street fighter weapon. The charged L2 makes massive damage with some talismans)

Honestly aside of the charge it's a good fine. Find a lot of opening to squeeze damage.

But this charge needs to be patched.

Last edited:

Danjin44

Similar to Maria in Old Hunter DLC, she was cover for the DLC but was not final boss.

also similar to flagship monsters in MH game’s covers, the flagship monsters but they are not the final monster your are facing In the end.

Last edited:

DelireMan7

Ho my god. This red fire knight are so annoying. Couldn't think it was possible to make something worse than the revenant.

Constant spamming of their delayed fireballs, long combo, hit like a truck, tons of hp...

Fake

My personal solution beating him was parry. Not all his attack but some of the attacks he does frequently I can parry which lets me cancel most his hard to dodge combo string.

Some of the bosses like Radegon and this final boss, it much better to parry than dodge.

I don't think parry will help the pillars of light to be honest.

There is some heavy holy attacks in phase 2.
Is just broken for the sake of the visuals.

Top Bottom