• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

ELDEN RING: Shadow Of The Erdtree |OT| ⋆☽ Delve Into The Land Of Shadowy Embrace ✰ The Age Of Stars Is Almost Upon Us! ☾⋆

SJRB

Gold Member
Lol Thiollier, you fucking simp.

Vo7HlQn.png

simpatico

Decided to do a fresh playthrough of the entire game using Dryleaf Dane's stuff. Hadn't done a fists only run as I don't find them especially fun but the martial art moveset is quite nifty. Probably gonna wind up using a fist weapon in my offhand just to get access to parry since you can't put that AoW on hand to hand weapons for some reason 😡. By the time I get back to the DLC areas I'm sure From will have done another patch or two of rebalancing and bugfixes.
I had a summon who did things with Dryleaf Arts that I did not know were possible. Dude was kicking birds out of the sky, comboing mofos with tiger uppercut finishers. It was crazy. I couldn't even help him fight. I just sat back in awe.

Thank you all for the suggestions. Was able to do it with unbreakable thorns or whatever it’s called. Probably 150+ tries but it is done. Only boss that ever took 100 attempts before this was Sigrun.

SMaFKAl.jpeg

Last edited:

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
Tips for Pruriencest Knight? The one with spectral horse? Messmer was a cakewalk compared to the erratic movements of this asshole.
My suggestion is have weapon skill that can attack him from mid distance, his kind of boss thats hard to deal with in close range combat.

In my second plathrough of the DLC I just used Glintstone Kris on him, it does really good damage while not using all that much FP and able keep safe distance from him.

Last edited:

captainpat

I've generally been avoiding using bleed builds but that final boss broke me and made me desperate enough to respec into bleed. And I still don't even feel like I actually beat it cause I died but my mimic got the final hit in before the game over.

Fake

They really exaggerated in the final boss. I did some cheese to beat him and doesn't even add good stuff to story.

In fact, IDK why even the tarnish is there to prevent that to happen.

Last edited:

bender

What time is it?
Finished the DLC tonight and went ahead and rolled credits on the main game to get the Frenzied Flame and Platinum Trophy. I think the DLC just further complicated my feelings on the base game. It remedied a few of my complaints but also magnified others. While there are things I absolutely love about the game, particularly how hand crafted the open world feels and just how stunning the art direction is, in the end this will remain as my second least favorite Souls title from FromSoft.

DelireMan7

Beat the Scadutree Avatar. Targetting the head and staying in front of him was the best strategy for me. Also got lucky that he only did his big AOE, at the end, only once.
Visually my favorite boss so far. Gameplay wise not so much, but I enjoyed it better once I was focusing the head and stay in front.

I am now on Messmer. I think I got to him not from the intended way. I pretty sure there is a way to move the wooden beam in the storage room but I can't find the mechanism. So I explore a lot and made some risky drop... Then I arrived here xD.

Cool boss. I don't like how the flames can cover his next move but enjoyable fight. I almost got it on my last attempt before going to bed. For the first time I reached phase 2 and almost got it He killed me with a combo ender I had never seen so far. I just have to learn a bit more his moveset from phase 2 and I should beat it .

It's funny I was expecting him to be extremely hard or oppressive but actually he feels less oppressive and unbeatable than any other main boss so far. For all the other main boss, I was "How is it possible to beat it solo ?" then after many tries I started to see their weakness.
But here from the beginning, I was like "Doable, challenging but doable". Not really a complaint, quite the opposite actually.

Last edited:
I wish they'd release the balance patch already so I can start optimizing properly. The only one I'm playing without worry is my INT build because the only thing that changed from based game is that I traded in Moonveil for a Milady with Carian Sovereignty. INT didn't get many toys in the DLC and they even nerfed some of our best ones right before it released lol.

DelireMan7

It's just dropped for me. Not sure what it's done though.
ok.
On reddit some report mention nerf of Rolling sparks (whatever it is) and a new weapon (Bloodfiend arm). And perfumer bottle nerfed also it seems.
EDIT : it looks more like glitch fix than were abused for cheesing boss

Patchnote should come soon I guess.

Last edited:

Bartski

Gold Member
  • Decreased the damage and damage animation of the shearing vacuum effect of the “Swift Slash” Skill.

share no GIF

Edit: PvP nerf only it seems

Cbs Omg GIF by The Late Late Show with James Corden

Last edited:

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
Chicken leg of doom got a mild nerf but is still very good apparently. Bit of a shame about perfume bottles, but they were stupid OP before so can't really complain too bitterly.

JCK75

What build, lvl or general strategy are you using ?

I am asking because often when I see this kind of claim the answer is summons, OP or cheesy build. No shame or anything but the game difficulty can vary so much depending on what we're using that's it's sometimes difficult to make a real comparison between each other experience.
I use the crucible tree armor set, blasphemous blade, brass shield..

Only buffs I'm using are golden vow and fling. Grant me strength, potion that grants increased fire damage... And I use my summon which is usually Black knife Tiche.

If people are going to complain about difficulty and not you summons I feel like that's on them... They're in the game for a reason.

DelireMan7

I use the crucible tree armor set, blasphemous blade, brass shield..

Only buffs I'm using are golden vow and fling. Grant me strength, potion that grants increased fire damage... And I use my summon which is usually Black knife Tiche.

If people are going to complain about difficulty and not you summons I feel like that's on them... They're in the game for a reason.
I agree with you.

I personally play solo on my first playthrough. But I get that some people prefer playing with all option.
I always do a first solo run on Soulsborne game but the DLC is, on this matter, much harder than the base game. I had to work much more on boss to get them. But so far I still get some enjoyment on most bosses eventually.
But I question if I'll continue playing like that if they continue this trend or actually if I'll play at all their next game in this genre. I don't enjoy much playing with summons or coop. I get a satisfaction to learn and punish the moveset of a boss solo.

I don't complain about difficulty but I start to think that FromSoft is maybe moving in a direction that might not suit my enjoyment of playing solo. It saddened me a bit and think a bit "This is too much" .
So I guess some people feels the same but thought that FromSoft game would stay forever as enjoyable as they were and are now salty about it.

Good on you to adapt and use everything.

I am curious about a tank build with shield and buffs. I actually plan to do that on my next run.

tommib

From Software nerfing everything. Jesus Christ. I guess the cry babies outraged about the former easy mode patch can go back to their entitlement.

Saber

Gold Member
After finally defeating the boss(took me more than a week), I can finally say the DLC is a mix bag in not a good way. The worst offender is the story. I was there wondering "what the fuck my character was here for? Whats his purpose? He could have left this shithole and it wouldn't make a difference". Not to mention it damage the base game with a sort of "aliens" meme explanation being used everywhere.
Most of weapons are either underwhelming or just reskin(one of my favorite weapons, which isn't a great weapon, was done kinda dirty). The only good thing perhaps is the open world itself which is great content for a DLC(though it came with alot of inconsistences) and the battle between Miquela followers(which was EPIC).
Collecting those things to feel stronger(aka return to what you were) did nothing to me. Make the whole process of retreating more like a chore and made me feel like it has not effect on my character at all. During the entire time I felt basically the same and was like "they could have removed this thing and wouldn't make a difference".
Enemies are basically a mix of hyper-aggressive and very high poise. So theres not much diversity here.
No comments on the last boss. Difficulty is one thing, but have to abandon my entire build because the boss just attacks endless sucks real hard(reset my build for the first time). Second phase its just a spam of blinding flash lights that even bugs the game(showing big retangular pixels). After beating it I just watch in the youtube, maybe I was doing wrong. It was worst than my fight. The guy spends 2 minutes rolling and strike once and then go back to rolling. If this isn't a red flag for boss design I dunno what is.
The new spells are great though. Too bad most bosses didn't gave me much of chance to use them.
This is the least favorite content they ever provided to me.

Last edited:

SCB3

So Scadutree 9, beat Messmer, Rellana, Bayle and Romina, I can get to Radahn now but want to go back and explore and beat a few other bosses I've miss, the Putrescent Knight is currently kicking my ass and I've gotten close a few times now though, this area is so DS2 it's unreal, I am missing a lot of the North and East of the Maps though, I am using a Map "Guide" showing locations but no idea how to get to some of them, thats all part of the fun!

Also, I've not found a single Catacomb yet, I know they're there but not come across one yet

TheDuskwalker

Gold Member
Just used to upgrate it to +10, fcking hell.
I haven’t tested it yet, but people are saying it isn’t noticeable.

Once I memorize these new paths I’ll try Ng+ with some of these new weapons.
Still strong as fuck. Arcane scaling change means it's now 696 damage at 54 strength and 80 arcane instead of 784, but that's mostly negligible. Blood proc is still super high and the high stagger seems unchanged.
Tested changes on a boss I remembered I hadn't done on my Bloodfiend's Arm playthough.

Completely botched the first half of the fight and DPS was still insane.

simpatico

Dex Int player here. I’m up against the soft cap in all my stats. In an effort to open up more weapons, I’m thinking about putting a few points in faith or arcane. Not sure which way to go. Anyone done this with a build like mine? Rocking 50 dex anf 75 int. Arcane is at 10 and faith is 6.

skneogaf

The last boss is one of the best video game things I've ever seen!

I'm so impressed how good the last boss and fight looks and feels, the fight is absolutely kickmy ass but I'm loving it.

My only negative about this game which is the best ever in my opinion is I believe the mimic tear needs to be nerfed again.

Its far too strong.

DelireMan7

That's Messmer done. Good fight. And kind of easier that the rest so far. He's quite readable but still challenging. Kind of boss I really like.

Also did the hippo and grab the map of the area (I really have the feeling I didn't this whole area in reverse).

I'll do some exploration before goinf to Rauh.

Arsic

Loves his juicy stink trail scent
The last boss is one of the best video game things I've ever seen!

I'm so impressed how good the last boss and fight looks and feels, the fight is absolutely kickmy ass but I'm loving it.

My only negative about this game which is the best ever in my opinion is I believe the mimic tear needs to be nerfed again.

Its far too strong.
Why nerf it? It’s meant to enable shit players to do the content.

It doesn’t affect people not using it in anyway.

Top Bottom