• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

ELDEN RING: Shadow Of The Erdtree |OT| ⋆☽ Delve Into The Land Of Shadowy Embrace ✰ The Age Of Stars Is Almost Upon Us! ☾⋆

SCB3

Depends how you want to do it.

You can go collect more tree fragments. Hit max level 20 to ease it up a pinch.

Respec to a cheese build but the 3 most cheesy ones just all got nerfed.

Give up your morals and summon people, use mimic, etc.

In the end the fight forces you to sacrifice something to complete it. I had to respec entirely out of my build.
I'm level 13 now, 1 fragment away from 14, I am using the same Bleed build with 25+ Cold Uchi and River of Blood, I do use Mimic tear after a few attempts, when I move over to my PC save thats my solo build,

Animated GIF

you're gonna love the final boss

Anime level bullshit. Theybrsn out of ideas and just upped the "what if" levels of cringe.

I've been reading through this thread and mostly avoiding spoilers, but what I have seen is even the hardiest of you gigachads throwing in the towel and deciding to cheese/greatshield/mimic tear/respec even to stand a chance against the final boss. Considering I am running a fairly unoptimized int build and could barely find any openings to heal or get back my DMGS buff even against Messmer's second phase, I am fully expecting to cry my eyes out when I reach the end.

Be stronk for me, compadres.

Tomeru

I've been reading through this thread and mostly avoiding spoilers, but what I have seen is even the hardiest of you gigachads throwing in the towel and deciding to cheese/greatshield/mimic tear/respec even to stand a chance against the final boss. Considering I am running a fairly unoptimized int build and could barely find any openings to heal or get back my DMGS buff even against Messmer's second phase, I am fully expecting to cry my eyes out when I reach the end.

Be stronk for me, compadres.
Not throwing any towels, just voicing dissapointmemt in boss design.

It's doable. Just cringy.

R6Rider

Gold Member
Fighting the Petrescent Knight and getting really annoyed.

TERRIBLY designed fight. For no other reason that he's constantly moving and barely gives you time for attacks.

Why the fuck can't we use Torrent here?

Last edited:

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
Fighting the Petrescent Knight and getting really annoyed.

TERRIBLY designed fight. For no other reason that he's constantly moving and barely gives you time for attacks.
I would say use weapon that gives you mid range attacks like that dragon great katana.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
The lightshow and bleach anime animations.
I guess with that logic is Malenia “cringe”?

She also uses tones of “anime” moves set, also you forgetting the fact that Elden Ring is still very much Japanese game.

Unlike most people here to me being “anime” is not negative.

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
The only thing cringe here is the ammount of ass-kicking I'm enduring. Think I'm about 10 hours into this bossfight and at most I've left him with a 1/4 of his lifebar. Getting there!

Is there any way to reach this part of the Rauh Ruins? (yellow circled areas)

sn4HbJM.png

Also, about the tower pointed by the blue arrow... it has a second floor with a yellow glowing stuff, but I haven't been able to reach that either. :lollipop_pensive:
Anyone? :lollipop_grinning_sweat:

SJRB

Gold Member
omg I just reached the Abyssal Woods. What the hell is this place, this is spooky as hell.

Torrent is literally too scared to get summoned. Now I'm scared too.

Tomeru

I guess with that logic is Malenia “cringe”?

She also uses tones of “anime” moves set, also you forgetting the fact that Elden Ring is still very much Japanese game.

Unlike most people here to me being “anime” is not negative.
Just my opinion.

Malenia was the exception to the rule. In the dlc, it is much more normal boss behaviour.

Agsin, just my opinion, not telling anyone to hate or what not. If you like it, you like it.

Antwix

Is there any way to reach this part of the Rauh Ruins? (yellow circled areas)

sn4HbJM.png

Also, about the tower pointed by the blue arrow... it has a second floor with a yellow glowing stuff, but I haven't been able to reach that either. :lollipop_pensive:
The bottom circle should just be main story progression navigating the ruins if I remember correctly. The top circle I don't recall. I also don't think there's anything super notable there cuz I don't remember lol. That whole area with the ruins and stuff was kinda easy to get lost and confused. I think there may be a spirit spring or something.

The tower however... hmm...

Inside the ruins where spirits hold a pot,
Past the pests littered with rot,
May you see across the green,
And take the broken ledge very much unseen.

Bartski

Gold Member
Ok guys so I just beat the final boss full dex with no cheese solo after maybe 100 failed attempts, after changing a single thing in the overall strat. Easily be the best tip I can give you:

Learn dodging to the left. His moveset in phase one makes you sort of learn dancing around him towards his left arm (your right) as it's kinda easier to dodge his combos that way. But what happens in phase 2 is most of the holy rain aoe shit that staggers you and really fucks you up happens towards the right side, it's not symmetrical. Left (your left his right) is much "safer" and it's a total gamechanger, I mean it's still hard and you need to learn his basic movement and he has BS instakill combos but this is the key. Practice phase one and stay under his right arm. Good luck!

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
Yeeeee I did it! Holy fuck, what a bossfight. :goog_relieved:

Edit: overall I've loved the DLC. Tons of cool bossfights, nice variety of environments which all look super nice, good music and nice level design.

Only thing I don't like is how those black fodder enemies get reused constantly. They are in a lot of areas, are weak and barely pose a thread. Could have used some more enemy variety, but oh well.

Still loved it. 40€ seemed like a bit too much for a DLC but, considering I must have put like 50 hours into this, it's a fair price.

Last edited:

simpatico

Heading down to Abyssal Woods. Seems like I've been having an easier go with this DLC than some, but one enemy has my fucking number. The flippy floppy dude with dual cirques and throwing knives. Fuck that guy.

RE: Mimic Tear. Maybe it's my build, but Mimic Tear isn't even top 5 summons in my experience. I did the quest to get the special double girl summon and it's fucking glorious.

Last edited:

TintoConCasera

There's just no way people figured the access to this area out on their own
I did! Left me like this:

Oh My God Wow GIF

It's not the first time From does the "unlock stuff by doing a pose", plus that gesture seemed suspicious to me from the moment I got it.

I loved that. Having content so hard to reach makes reaching it so much better. Plus there's a pretty useful item there for later on.

Orbital2060

I managed to beat the Putrescent Knight, but in an odd way. I didnt summon Thiollier, but my mimic used the scarlet rot dragon that I had equipped as well, with the dragon communion seal +10. Arcane 84.And it burned him down pretty quickly, double dragon breath.

Last edited:
This Gaius fight is fucking stupid. From went full into this AOE bullshit this time around, and I'm not here for it.

Edit: The real fucking lame part is how he is completely invulnerable during the entirety of his charge attack. So not only do you get trampled, you don't get to deal any damage as soon as he starts and until he is completely out of range. How do I know? Because my DMGS beams are going right fucking through him with no effect, and at the end of his charge he takes one little baby step to the side and my beam disappears before doing nothing.

Last edited:
The only thing cringe here is the ammount of ass-kicking I'm enduring. Think I'm about 10 hours into this bossfight and at most I've left him with a 1/4 of his lifebar. Getting there!

Anyone? :lollipop_grinning_sweat:
Are you referring to the tops of the plateaus? If so, I have yet to find a way up there. There are some ruined corridors that you progress through, but they're all tunnels through the mountains.

Wow the lore dump in the Shaman Village. So easy to miss as well, reaching it requires inhuman ingenuity, or an internet guide. There's just no way people figured the access to this area out on their own.

Amazing DLC.
I agree, this was a really cool area. I managed to solve it by myself, but they've used this sort of puzzle in the past (ex: DS3 Archdragon Peak)

Finally bested Gaius because I could actually get one fucking stagger off. Get fucked Miyazaki you turd, there is no stopping the gigachads, even when you create bosses that actually cheat in your own game (Malenia lifesteal depsite hitting a shield, Gaius charging THROUGH projectiles and sword swings).

I adore this game but From really does need to go back to the drawing board on boss battles, they are crossing the line from making fun bosses that are unbelievably hard but fair (Orphan of Kos) to just making them bullshit difficult and violating the rules of their own game solely to stomp the best players. It's the same concept as writers who keep trying to sUbVeRt ExPeCtAtIoNs when they are upset that fans figure out their plot twists before they air, so they just throw out a good story to keep people on their toes.

Arsic

Loves his juicy stink trail scent
Finally bested Gaius because I could actually get one fucking stagger off. Get fucked Miyazaki you turd, there is no stopping the gigachads, even when you create bosses that actually cheat in your own game (Malenia lifesteal depsite hitting a shield, Gaius charging THROUGH projectiles and sword swings).

I adore this game but From really does need to go back to the drawing board on boss battles, they are crossing the line from making fun bosses that are unbelievably hard but fair (Orphan of Kos) to just making them bullshit difficult and violating the rules of their own game solely to stomp the best players. It's the same concept as writers who keep trying to sUbVeRt ExPeCtAtIoNs when they are upset that fans figure out their plot twists before they air, so they just throw out a good story to keep people on their toes.
d2c1734c9dbf60c02cc2702f4912e7509e4e097aec3841a4ad307c0c670414a2_1.jpg

tommib

Good lord, the amount of Shadow Keep that opens up after going through the Church District… Game is a succession of highs. This is the best designed world and levels I’ve ever seen. I don’t care about the hyperbole. It’s overwhelming level design.

And then the village that I accessed because Bartski Bartski did mention using a gesture to open up a section. And there I am. In beauty. With harps playing. With my mind blown.

These games are priceless.

It's not the first time From does the "unlock stuff by doing a pose", plus that gesture seemed suspicious to me from the moment I got it.

I loved that. Having content so hard to reach makes reaching it so much better. Plus there's a pretty useful item there for later on.

My problem with that specific puzzle is that the thing you need is completely missable. I went to the place you are supposed to use it without the required item, and the game doesn't even hint where that item is. It's a poorly thought out puzzle because even if you figure out the solution, you still have to look up a guide to find where that item is.

TheDuskwalker

Gold Member
tommib tommib Did you beat Putrescent yet? Since you were struggling I clipped my fight from my latest playthrough to try to help.

Best advice I can give is equip the best armor you can while staying in medium roll, use a increase equip load talisman if need to. A weapon with some range or a gap closing move. And most importantly don't do what I did in phase transition, just jump forward, run back, jump forward though the ground waves instead of hopping left and right like a asshole because you're a tank.

Last edited:

Meifu

Ok guys so I just beat the final boss full dex with no cheese solo after maybe 100 failed attempts, after changing a single thing in the overall strat. Easily be the best tip I can give you:

Learn dodging to the left. His moveset in phase one makes you sort of learn dancing around him towards his left arm (your right) as it's kinda easier to dodge his combos that way. But what happens in phase 2 is most of the holy rain aoe shit that staggers you and really fucks you up happens towards the right side, it's not symmetrical. Left (your left his right) is much "safer" and it's a total gamechanger, I mean it's still hard and you need to learn his basic movement and he has BS instakill combos but this is the key. Practice phase one and stay under his right arm. Good luck!
gonna try this, ive been a phase 1 right dodger, time to go left

FoxMcChief

Gold Member
That’s not true. I died ate blayde(?) after one try and felt like Im not well enough for him. And I want to really remember the dialogue I hope happens, cause Igon was pretty passionate about the whole thing.

DaciaJC

Gold Member

The first time I got him that low I was getting really excited, thinking I might actually have a chance at victory.

Then he pulled out the orbital cannon. My life was snuffed out before I even realized what had hit me.

52c7aecca3eac0ec4f894ce7fd1fce19.jpg

TintoConCasera

UnThe first time I got him that low I was getting really excited, thinking I might actually have a chance at victory.

Then he pulled out the orbital cannon. My life was snuffed out before I even realized what had hit me.

52c7aecca3eac0ec4f894ce7fd1fce19.jpg
Exact same thing happened to me lol. :goog_relieved:

tommib

tommib tommib Did you beat Putrescent yet? Since you were struggling I clipped my fight from my latest playthrough to try to help.

Best advice I can give is equip the best armor you can while staying in medium roll, use a increase equip load talisman if need to. A weapon with some range or a gap closing move. And most importantly don't do what I did in phase transition, just jump forward, run back, jump forward though the ground waves instead of hopping left and right like a asshole because you're a tank.

Thanks for this!

I haven’t. I beat Bayle yesterday easily who’s supposed to be a roadblock for some people. I immediately went back to the Knight and got my ass handed over. It’s my build. I never change it much and try to power through everything with it.

I’ll try the tank approach!

Last edited:

FoxMcChief

Gold Member
I’m pretty sure I’m very close to doing just about all I can with the DLC. I just have one area of the map not explored yet. Still not quite sure how to get there.

GRyj98OacAQ0Wt7

ebevan91

I’m pretty sure I’m very close to doing just about all I can with the DLC. I just have one area of the map not explored yet. Still not quite sure how to get there.

GRyj98OacAQ0Wt7

You have to go down the river and eventually enter a catacombs that will take you there. Start at the Ruins of Unte, and then just keep going south/southeast.

Top Bottom