• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

ELDEN RING: Shadow Of The Erdtree |OT| ⋆☽ Delve Into The Land Of Shadowy Embrace ✰ The Age Of Stars Is Almost Upon Us! ☾⋆

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
mimic tear doesn't need to be nerfed, if anything, the final boss needs its phase 2 to be fixed. It's a god damn light show that's way too visually distracting.
I played the DLC twice and I personally dont have issue with the final boss in this game, to me it was fun thrilling.
In fact I would say his 1000x better final boss than Elden Beast boss which honestly I never liked, I wish the second phase was power up Radegon.

Last edited:

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
The might have gone a bit too anime and over the top with the final boss yeah, but the thing is, what else would you put at the end of such a journey? It's either this, or something that feels too simple and not kino enough.

ebevan91

Is not even fun to fight phase 2. I gonna wait until honeymoon is over because people are too sensitive about calling this boss out.

I had to resort to the fingerprint shield + lance + scholar's shield cheese build to even reach the 2nd phase. I wasn't even getting close to reaching the 2nd phase. At that point I said fuck it, I'm ready to be done, and cheesed it. I felt bad doing it but that fight was incredibly frustrating. At least with the other bosses I could see a path to victory and eventually beat them all with my original build. I may have taken out AT MOST 15-20% of his health bar before changing builds. Shit just wasn't fun.

Last edited:

Diseased Yak

Gold Member
I finally did it and beat that bastard. Was about as tough as Malenia was for me, took 35 tries or so. I ended up using the Erdtree Greatshield, Barbed Staff-spear, double stamina regen in physick, and getting lucky during phase two dodges/heals.

Overall, I loved the DLC as much as I did the main game. If I had to levy a complaint, I think early on it really sucks due to not knowing about the Scudutree fragments being so important. Once you get those going, it gets very manageable.
Elden Ring remains one of my favorite games of all time.

skneogaf

Why nerf it? It’s meant to enable shit players to do the content.

It doesn’t affect people not using it in anyway.

I don't think any one thing should be so overpowered, especially if it reduces how much players are likely to use other spirit summons which they are.

I'm just surprised that's all as I tried it earlier today on messmer as I had already killed the npc that was supposed to be available. The mimic was doing too much damage and not taking hardly any.

Not in comparison to the others or npc summons.

Hopefully in future games they leave the mimic out of the game.

It looks much better too if you use a summon and it's completely different than your character.

I bet a large percentage would be unable to kill bosses without it too so it may have distorted the difficulty of the game.

Just my 2 cents, that's all.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
I don't think any one thing should be so overpowered, especially if it reduces how much players are likely to use other spirit summons which they are.

I'm just surprised that's all as I tried it earlier today on messmer as I had already killed the npc that was supposed to be available. The mimic was doing too much damage and not taking hardly any.

Not in comparison to the others or npc summons.

Hopefully in future games they leave the mimic out of the game.

It looks much better too if you use a summon and it's completely different than your character.

I bet a large percentage would be unable to kill bosses without it too so it may have distorted the difficulty of the game.

Just my 2 cents, that's all.
Consider mimc Tear as offline co-op, people also have the option to summon actual people to help them beat boss for them.

bender

What time is it?
I played the DLC twice and I personally dont have issue with the final boss in this game, to me it was fun thrilling.
In fact I would his 1000x better final boss than Elden Beast boss which honestly I never liked, I wish the second phase was power up Radegon.
would.png

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
maybe they need to make the mimic die when you die. I’ve had the mimic steal a boss kill from me. I’ll be watching the screen and the mimic gets the final hit to kill. It doesn’t always work that way, but it’s a sour feeling when you respawn and you walk into an empty boss room afterwards.

Last edited:

Paltheos

Finished everything in the DLC today.

My experience was much, much improved about midway through when I reconfigured my Steam controller layout for my Dualshock 4, devoting Circle (the B button for you, dirty non-Dualshock folk) to roll, L3 as a toggle for sprint, and center button to crouch. Because Elden Ring's default control scheme assigns the roll and sprint commands to the same input, the developers got around the issue of accidentally triggering the wrong command by enabling sprint only after holding the button for x frames and rolling only after releasing the button (before x frames have passed). The consequence of allowing the player to roll only after releasing the roll button means that any roll is some number of frames slower than they ordinarily would be compared to rolling on press, and after playing Elden Ring with a controller layout that fixes that problem, I can tell you the difference is night and day. I'd struggled with fights in the first half of the DLC but almost every encounter in the latter half went smoothly and actually felt fair (except for a couple of optional fights and the last boss).

Incidentally, you might have noticed that the layout is kinda similar to Dark Souls! That was the idea. There are a few on the community hub but none of them quite worked for me. The closest assigned roll to Circle and sprint to Triangle+Circle which is way too much work imo. Anyway, if anyone wants to try it out, I'll share the link here.

steam://controllerconfig/1245620/3281424661

If you've never changed your controller layout before, don't worry, you can switch it right back to official too by right-clicking Elden Ring in your library --> selecting Manage --> Controller layout --> clicking the long bar below 'Current Button Layout' --> picking the official layout which should be the first item on the list --> and applying the layout on the bottom-right of the pop-up. If you're having difficulty accessing my configuration, the only way I know to apply it is to open the link in a web browser while Steam is closed and then taking the browser's suggestion to open it in Steam will open Steam and navigate you there; for some reason that didn't work for me while Steam was already open.

Last edited:

Cyborg

Still strong as fuck. Arcane scaling change means it's now 696 damage at 54 strength and 80 arcane instead of 784, but that's mostly negligible. Blood proc is still super high and the high stagger seems unchanged.
Tested changes on a boss I remembered I hadn't done on my Bloodfiend's Arm playthough.

Completely botched the first half of the fight and DPS was still insane.

You didnt use any buffs?

Moonjt9

No Silksong? = Delivering the pain.
Finished the DLC last night. Hooooo boy that final boss. I used Eleonora’s poleblade the whole run, spamming that ash of war and it made most bosses and enemies fairly trivial due to the amount of stagger it puts out. But the final boss just doesn’t have big enough openings to use it so I had to adapt my build a bit.

First phase was pretty easy to figure out the dodge timings. But phase 2 man, feels like you can’t dodge those rapid fire attacks, so I used a medium shield with high holy defense to block those moves and the big aoe so I could stay in and punish.

Definitely the hardest boss in the series. It might be a bit too much. But the DLC as a whole? Dudes it’s like Dark Souls 1 all over again with the world design.

Early on you go in Belurat and down in the fly man area you see a bridge and a big door, and I was desperately trying to figure out how to get there, looking at the buildings and walls and stuff. Literally at the very end of the game I found my way down jumping and continuing to descend and take a lift down and boom it’s that very same bridge and I can go open the door to get a cool weapon. Absolute undead Parrish back to fire link shrine vibes.

Unreal game. Game of the year. They actually improved over the main game. Hardly believable.

Beat Messmer tonight, after probably 20 tries. Got his first form down - really great fight, very noticeable once you read his moves and punish his openings. But that second form is just dumb. Rollspam was the only way to contend with all the visual bullshit obscuring everything. I had one fight where he must have had 1 hp left and fucked me, but I've taken revenge. Shadow Keep has been awesome level design, really impressed with the storeroom and all the twists, turns, and some jumping.

Jedi0608

2nd character going into Bayle and I loathed him first time around. 2nd hardest boss easily. Not if you use that dragon hunters great katana though. Literally melted him first try. Feels good! Now to decide whether to keep it for the final boss, or respec back to Bloodfiend Arm lol.

SJRB

Gold Member
2nd character going into Bayle and I loathed him first time around. 2nd hardest boss easily. Not if you use that dragon hunters great katana though. Literally melted him first try. Feels good! Now to decide whether to keep it for the final boss, or respec back to Bloodfiend Arm lol.

Now that you say it it does sound like you're supposed to use that weapon against him, doesn't it?

The base game taught to use the Serpent Hunter against Rykard, so it makes sense to use the Dragon Hunter against Bayle.

tommib

I’m kind of stuck on where to go. I can’t reach that lower part that you see from the top of the Ruins. I have 3 options:

1. Pruscient Knight who I can’t just can’t seem to defeat. He’s been the hardest boss so far. I don’t know what comes after his defeat in the fissure. Don’t know if it takes me somewhere.

2. Defeat Bayle at the peak. I didn’t find it hard but eventually had to go to bed yesterday. I know I can beat him.

3. Continue exploring the big castle that was closed off by shadows since Messmer is dead and I burned the shadows.

What say you, GAF? I have that whole top left region unrevealed because I just can’t access it from nowhere.

BlueAlpaca

Miyazaki said there was a tough optional boss in the DLC, an equivalent of Malenia, I still don't know who that is. Bayle? Gaius? Neither were as hard as her but pretty close.

SJRB

Gold Member
I’m kind of stuck on where to go. I can’t reach that lower part that you see from the top of the Ruins. I have 3 options:

1. Pruscient Knight who I can’t just can’t seem to defeat. He’s been the hardest boss so far. I don’t know what comes after his defeat in the fissure. Don’t know if it takes me somewhere.

2. Defeat Bayle at the peak. I didn’t find it hard but eventually had to go to bed yesterday. I know I can beat him.

3. Continue exploring the big castle that was closed off by shadows since Messmer is dead and I burned the shadows.

What say you, GAF? I have that whole top left region unrevealed because I just can’t access it from nowhere.

It's hard to say without spoiling anything but defeating the Knight will reward you with lore and exposition, not with new areas. You don't need to beat him to progress.

Have you been to the Ruins of Rauh? This is the next step in the golden path after beating Messmer.

Moonjt9

No Silksong? = Delivering the pain.
Miyazaki said there was a tough optional boss in the DLC, an equivalent of Malenia, I still don't know who that is. Bayle? Gaius? Neither were as hard as her but pretty close.
I think it’s gotta be Bayle. He’s pretty tough without Igon. Or maybe even Putrescent Knight? That was a decent challenge but I think Bayle was harder.

tommib

I think it’s gotta be Bayle. He’s pretty tough without Igon. Or maybe even Putrescent Knight? That was a decent challenge but I think Bayle was harder.
It has to be the Knight. I’m nowhere close to beating that SOB. And I killed Messmer on my 4th try.

DelireMan7

It has to be the Knight. I’m nowhere close to beating that SOB. And I killed Messmer on my 4th try.
Gaius could be a candidate. Like Malenia, is as a broken move xD

Putrescent Knight is quite hard but in the end, once you get used to his weird movement and timing, you can read him and dodge everything without much trouble.

SJRB

Gold Member

Mimic helped me a lot with the Knight. Also the Flask and I used holy grease because that seemed right but not sure if he's susceptible to holy damage.

I fucking hate the move where he splits with his horse and you lose sight of either one and they suckerpunch you from off screen.

Last edited:

tommib

Gaius could be a candidate. Like Malenia, is as a broken move xD

Putrescent Knight is quite hard but in the end, once you get used to his weird movement and timing, you can read him and dodge everything without much trouble.
He has a couple of combos that I think I nailed and then he’s still going on with the weapon throwing. He’s an asshole. And don’t get me started with the frost waves. Do you just jump those? The timing is fucked up.

DelireMan7

He has a couple of combos that I think I nailed and then he’s still going on with the weapon throwing. He’s an asshole. And don’t get me started with the frost waves. Do you just jump those? The timing is fucked up.
The waves caught me off guard the first few times. But yes I jumped over it. Maybe it's possible to roll through them.

Basically place yourself in front of him and don't move laterally (otherwise you can get it by those delayed coming on the side). You have 3 waves to avoid, the third one coming a bit faster (or closer from the 2nd). And I think he always follows up with the straitgh line of fire which you avoid by jumping on the side (by rolling I was always getting hit).

When he casts them all around him and they come back to him, I liked to come close to him and jump. Being close allow me to have a better idea when I have to jump by looking the one behind him.

Last edited:

SJRB

Gold Member

I think you have to jump, just like Rellana's moon bomb you can't roll through those either.

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
Yeah my vote goes for Bayle too, no doubt.

The knight isn't near as hard, just more of an exercise in patience since imo he barely has any "safe moments" in which to attack him. Once you learn the patterns it's doable as long as you use patience and don't risk yourself too much.

Gaius isn't that hard either imo. I don't get how people are being so troubled by him. The charge attack is bullshit but aside from that, no problem. I found that sticking to his ass might be a good idea, since that triggers the boar kick which leaves him exposed.

Since we are at it, why don't post the bosses ranked by difficulty? From easiest to hardest, for me:

Romina > Avatar > Gaius > Knight > Messmer > Rellana > Lion > Bayle > Consort

Jedi0608

Now that you say it it does sound like you're supposed to use that weapon against him, doesn't it?

The base game taught to use the Serpent Hunter against Rykard, so it makes sense to use the Dragon Hunter against Bayle.
Yep, it's actually super useful against all dragons. Apparently dragons get something like an extra 20-30% damage reduction, but the ash of war for the Dragon Katana bypasses that, so if you scale evenly between Dex/Strength (something like 60/60) I was doing about 6k per ash of war.

ebevan91

Booted up the game again to mess around a bit and apparently I missed a scadutree fragment right at the very start? It's in a church and you even get a weapon by beating the knight in there. That brought me to scadutree level 19.

TintoConCasera

Is there any way to reach this part of the Rauh Ruins? (yellow circled areas)

sn4HbJM.png

Also, about the tower pointed by the blue arrow... it has a second floor with a yellow glowing stuff, but I haven't been able to reach that either. :lollipop_pensive:

Last edited:

Arsic

Loves his juicy stink trail scent
So, this last boss.....

I'm gonna be here a while huh?
Depends how you want to do it.

You can go collect more tree fragments. Hit max level 20 to ease it up a pinch.

Respec to a cheese build but the 3 most cheesy ones just all got nerfed.

Give up your morals and summon people, use mimic, etc.

In the end the fight forces you to sacrifice something to complete it. I had to respec entirely out of my build.

Top Bottom