• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

ELDEN RING: Shadow Of The Erdtree |OT| ⋆☽ Delve Into The Land Of Shadowy Embrace ✰ The Age Of Stars Is Almost Upon Us! ☾⋆

DaciaJC

Gold Member
Have fun when you get there.

giphy.webp

Orbital2060

The remebrances from the DLC can be duplicated at the walking castles in the main game. I just copied the putrescence token in the one south of the 4th church of marika in limgrave.

Tomeru

Don't think I've felt so much despair in a souls game boss quite like this one. I think I would take 10 times more Sekiro's Isshin than this one.
I had fun taking on lady butterfly and owl. Took a long time to beat them, but it was fun maibly because you move fas like they did, and you had more tools to do it logically.

With souls it has turned into feeling like you are fighting with a different set of rules from bosses.

But eh, it is what it is, bosses are no longer the focus of my playthroughs.

Orbital2060

Ive been trying out the bloodfiend arm, and the putrescent geeataxe, for a little while and maybe the arm does more damage. But I like the moveset of the axe, and its light on load.

ELDEN-RING-2024-07-06-10-16-34.png

TheDarkPhantom

Gold Member
Wow at some of the stuff in here, FROM never disappoints with their well hidden secrets 👌

Edit: and I'll add I discovered about a 1/3 of them on my own, I'm sure a lot more will be discovered as the weeks go on.

Last edited:

Chiggs

Gold Member
If anyone is encountering performance issues, I'd recommend taking a look at this video:

It's eliminated 90% of the issues I've encountered (small registry tweak and power setting adjustment).

Edit: don't let the stupid message above dissuade you from checking it out.

Last edited:

BlueAlpaca

Do you guys use just one weapon at a time? I went through the game with only Bloodhound Fang.

Starting a new playthrough and was thinking I still needed a bit of Faith for Golden Vow and such but came across a reddit comment saying it's better to put the golden vow ash of war on a dagger and not bother upgrading faith - felt like an idiot. Seems a lot easier. Switching multiple weapons during combat is a hassle but golden vow is only needed before so I guess I'll do that.

Last edited:

SJRB

Gold Member
Dude HOW are the Ruins of Rauh so confusing? This place is messing me up, everything looks the same.

Do you guys use just one weapon at a time? I went through the game with only Bloodhound Fang.

Starting a new playthrough and was thinking I still needed a bit of Faith for Golden Vow and such but came across a reddit comment saying it's better to put the golden vow ash of war on a dagger and not bother upgrading faith - felt like an idiot. Seems a lot easier. Switching multiple weapons during combat is a hassle but golden vow is only needed before so I guess I'll do that.

I'm still running with the Bloodhound Fang too, it's just too good. I tried several new DLC weapons but I keep coming back to it. Super strong and extremely reliable.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
I'm still running with the Bloodhound Fang too, it's just too good. I tried several new DLC weapons but I keep coming back to it. Super strong and extremely reliable.

Blasphemous blade seems better than ever to me too. Sure its lost the poise damage on Taker's flame, but appropriately buffed (Magma boosting charm) feels like more straight dps
Not even stacking Faith anymore on it, holding at 33 for Shabriri self-buff seems fine so can use other weapons when fire not the best.

SJRB

Gold Member
Wow Romina got absolutely assblasted, she never stood a chance.

Sucks that she didn't have a cutscene though.

So judging by her remembrance she created the Scarlet Rot? That's kinda wild.

Absolutely loving the lore in this DLC so far. Pristine stuff.

Last edited:

FoxMcChief

Gold Member
I tackled the golden hippo with my rivers of blood build with a blessings level of 8 and fucking wrecked it.

I’m now playing through the PS5 DLC instead of completing the Xbox DLC. I’m hitting all the areas way faster, now that I know where to go, and how to get there. Now that I’ve gone back to my Rivers of Blood build, I wonder if Mesmer will be easier too.

Boralf

Are you serious? The boss fights were highlights for me, most of them super fun to fight with.
They're all the same. Things that used to be gimmicks are now part of (almost) every boss fight: delayed attacks, second phase, gap closer, ranged attack, input reading, aftershocks, grab attack, big nuke attack etc. Therefore they don't really have any mechanical identity.

Also I feel like the gaps between the bosses are now feel less challenging and the bosses themselves are more challenging than in Dark Souls. Which makes the game have less flow and bosses can feel like an annoying roadblock.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
They're all the same. Things that used to be gimmicks are now part of (almost) every boss fight: delayed attacks, second phase, gap closer, ranged attack, input reading, aftershocks, grab attack, big nuke attack etc. Therefore they don't really have any mechanical identity.

Also I feel like the gaps between the bosses are now feel less challenging and the bosses themselves are more challenging than in Dark Souls. Which makes the game have less flow and bosses can feel like an annoying roadblock.
I don’t know for me each boss felt different and I need come up with strategy to beat them, especially when it comes movement and animation.

finally beat the final boss after numerous attempts. I don't want to fight them ever again. It's the only boss that made me respec to change my build. The phase 2 is simply not fun as it's a just blinding light show that obscures the attacks most of the time.

While I greatly enjoyed the DLC, there are things that really annoyed me, mainly the fact you can get punished for exploring even though the game encourages exploration. I missed out on several items because a bunch of NPCs will relocate once you reach a certain point on the map and trigger an event, hence unable to do parts of their quests and get theses items until NG+. The game never warns you about this. Doing their quests are already big enough of a puzzle, so they need to stop making quest rewards missable. I don't want to goto NG+ just to get them.

The level designs for the dungeons are truly impressive though.

One thing I hope From will do is be more transparent about the stat buffs/debuffs for all items and weapons. Simply saying "boost damage negation" is too vague. If it increases by 5%, just say 5%. It's a common problem among JP devs where they just like to have stats hidden throughout.

SJRB

Gold Member
finally beat the final boss after numerous attempts. I don't want to fight them ever again. It's the only boss that made me respec to change my build. The phase 2 is simply not fun as it's a just blinding light show that obscures the attacks most of the time.

While I greatly enjoyed the DLC, there are things that really annoyed me, mainly the fact you can get punished for exploring even though the game encourages exploration. I missed out on several items because a bunch of NPCs will relocate once you reach a certain point on the map and trigger an event, hence unable to do parts of their quests and get theses items until NG+. The game never warns you about this. Doing their quests are already big enough of a puzzle, so they need to stop making quest rewards missable. I don't want to goto NG+ just to get them.

The level designs for the dungeons are truly impressive though.

One thing I hope From will do is be more transparent about the stat buffs/debuffs for all items and weapons. Simply saying "boost damage negation" is too vague. If it increases by 5%, just say 5%. It's a common problem among JP devs where they just like to have stats hidden throughout.

Honestly I just roll with it for the first playthrough, the second is for following quests with a guide or whatever.

What quests did you lock yourself out of? I've been doing things pretty randomly but I don't think I've locked myself out of stuff. At least not like the Volcano Manor assassination missions that straight up lock you out once Rykard is dead. Granted I did look up what I was supposed to do once I randomly encountered Ansbach in Shadow Keep.

SJRB

Gold Member
Holy shit I beat Bayle first try after upgrading the Dragon Hunter to +10.

We died at the same time but I was still awarded the win. Close call but a win is a win.

edit: holy shit I also beat Gaius. What is going on?

Last edited:
It’s perhaps just me… I really loved Elden Ring and did everything including all optional content and bosses.

But for some reason I just don’t feel like going back to it. I fear the time it needs to learn everything again and getting good at it. Next From Software game I will be there again but sorry, I think I will skip this DLC.

R6Rider

Gold Member
Messmer is another trash boss fight. Very few opportunities to get hits in, insane AoE attacks, and of course effects covering your screen so you can't actually see what's happening. Luckily he has a low HP.

EDIT: Oh, can't forget the extremely delayed attacks, which even his insta-kill move has.

Another down. On to the next.

Last edited:
Honestly I just roll with it for the first playthrough, the second is for following quests with a guide or whatever.

What quests did you lock yourself out of? I've been doing things pretty randomly but I don't think I've locked myself out of stuff. At least not like the Volcano Manor assassination missions that straight up lock you out once Rykard is dead. Granted I did look up what I was supposed to do once I randomly encountered Ansbach in Shadow Keep.

I went to the shadow keep via the church district entrance so I did the storehouse first before the actual castle area. I missed some of cookbooks from Moore's quest because triggering the rune breaking event will cause him to leave. I missed the entire fight between Leda and Hornsent as well as Leda and Ansbach, thus I got locked out of the AoW, talismans, and weapon you get from their duels. It's too easy to skip this part of their quests given how non-linear the progression is at this point of the game. The Volcano Manor assassinations are harder to miss because whichever way you get to the Manor, Tanith is pretty hard to miss.

SJRB

Gold Member
I went to the shadow keep via the church district entrance so I did the storehouse first before the actual castle area. I missed some of cookbooks from Moore's quest because triggering the rune breaking event will cause him to leave. I missed the entire fight between Leda and Hornsent as well as Leda and Ansbach, thus I got locked out of the AoW, talismans, and weapon you get from their duels. It's too easy to skip this part of their quests given how non-linear the progression is at this point of the game. The Volcano Manor assassinations are harder to miss because whichever way you get to the Manor, Tanith is pretty hard to miss.

Yeah that sucks, I just found out about this myself after reading up on Leda's progression because I thought it was super weird she was still at her usual spot having no new dialogue after I burned the tree.

I cannot beat fuckin Romina. Any tips?

There's a talisman that greatly increases rot immunity which may help. Also be sure to get as many scadutree fragments as possible and max out that level. The difference is insane.

ssringo

Preface: play how you want to play and don't let anyone say you're doing it wrong.

I prefer to do themed builds and stick to it. Meaning if I want the benefits of faith, bleed, etc then I have to invest in the stats to use them by default without bypassing stat requirements. Makes me actually learn the build and how to approach various enemies and bosses. It also forces me to use stuff I might otherwise not or do things differently. For example, if I was going big strength unga bunga, used the Hero starter class and came across a Revenant I can't heal it to death if I haven't invested those 4 points into faith (no bypassing with faith boosting gear) so have fun dealing with the crazy flailing attacks. Or for a more direct example, I'm currently doing a full run using the martial arts weapons from the DLC. I can't use shields for protection or for the better parry options so crucible knight fights play out different because all I can do is avoid the attacks.

winjer

Gold Member
Just got to Abyssal woods and.....

Confused Mark Wahlberg GIF by 20th Century Fox Home Entertainment

Definitely looking forward to the manse.

The manse is very cool to explore, but short.
The woods are kinda bad. And they have one of the most annoying enemies in the game, the aging untouchable, because there is only one specific way to defeat them.
Midra is difficult, but not the hardest in the DLC.

Melon Husk

The manse is very cool to explore, but short.
The woods are kinda bad. And they have one of the most annoying enemies in the game, the aging untouchable, because there is only one specific way to defeat them.
Midra is difficult, but not the hardest in the DLC.
The woods are hidden behind a puzzle so it's really a bonus area. There's a large inaccessible zone behind the mansion too.

Top Bottom