• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Elite Dangerous: Horizons |OT| Just scratching the surface

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
Holy Hell, Michael Brooks dropped a seriously focused hint on where to look for evidence of the Thargoids being in game right now:

Michael Brooks said:
Nebulae are good places to look, especially the one with the seven sisters in it.

Michael

https://forums.frontier.co.uk/showthread.php?t=195658&page=581&p=3380823&viewfull=1#post3380823

The Seven Sisters means the Pleiades Nebula, which the new Obsidian Orbital station now resides in. I'm over 9000ly away and heading in the opposite direction so I'll not be taking part in this hunt, but man is that a super specific hint drop from the main developer. Apparently we are looking for something called "barnacles" which may or may not be on planet surfaces and collectable with the SRV....

Jedi2016

The Seven Sisters means the Pleiades Nebula, which the new Obsidian Orbital station now resides in. I'm over 9000ly away and heading in the opposite direction so I'll not be taking part in this hunt....
Ain't that a bitch? I'm in the same boat.. lol.

Haven't a lot of clues have been pointing towards Pleiades? Even before Obsidian was constructed, Merope (which is in the nebula) had a huge ring of UA forming around it. Pretty sure a lot of the power outages were in the same area, right?

FD is obviously guiding us towards contact--we just gotta make it happen.

nubbe

I'm not enjoying Dangerous nearly as much as I did Frontier

I think the lack of illusion of human interaction makes to game feel lifeless and the bulletin board suck since there mission offers are nearly non existent, has stupid ass limitations that need to be reached and there is no haggling

patchday

So it looks like insurance is automatic? After buying a new ship I don't have to manually purchase insurance?

[edit] yeah its auto; got my new ship blown up soon as I warped to nav beacon

psylah

Was thinking about getting into the hauling game. I've got about 1.5 million saved up, and was going to buy a Type 6. Currently in a Cobra MKIII.

Anyone fly one? How are they on defense?

Mengy

Was thinking about getting into the hauling game. I've got about 1.5 million saved up, and was going to buy a Type 6. Currently in a Cobra MKIII.

Anyone fly one? How are they on defense?

I flew a Type 6 for a few weeks last year while I was saving up for my Asp. I love the ship. It's a sluggish flying barge but it's top speed is fantastic and the view from the seat is exceptional. I did trade runs in it mostly but I also explored quite a bit with it too, the T6 actually makes for a pretty great exploration ship. It's biggest drawback is that it runs hot so fuel scooping can be tricky. It's not a great combat ship though, and it's best defense is it's awesome boost speed to get away from combat. Plenty defensable enough for trade runs though.

Mengy

Is anyone doing the Distant worlds trip on Thursday? I've signed up but I struggle to keep up with the forum.

Yep, been signed up for weeks now. I've actually already left, I'm one of the scouts prospecting ahead of the fleet and will form up with the group during stage two closer to the core.

I can't wait to get out to the Far Rim, 65,000ly's away from Sol!

Has anybody finished a surface rescue mission? I've tried a few times and never been able to do it. I've read the basics: fly over 2km in the air, wait until you see a blue "point of interest" area on the map, land there and set off in the SRV, watch its stupid scanner for signs of man-made metal objects (a tall blip in the bar), and drive towards it. If you don't find anything, fly off and find another blue point of interest and repeat. Only once have I ever found something, on my fifth "point of interest" I found a bunch of enemy drones that attacked me. Part of the problem is that scanner is just too hard to read, unless you are close to the object.

I also tend to fail the mission when it still says I have a couple hours left. The only surface missions I've been able to complete are ones where you sneak onto a base and either scan its antenna, or destroy a turret's power generator.

hepburn3d

Yep, been signed up for weeks now. I've actually already left, I'm one of the scouts prospecting ahead of the fleet and will form up with the group during stage two closer to the core.

I can't wait to get out to the Far Rim, 65,000ly's away from Sol!

Cool. Hope I can make it there. It's more a test of mind than endurance.

I'm currently about 2k ly out doing my own things so I'm going to try and get back tonight and get ready for it. Really looking forward to it

Mengy

Cool. Hope I can make it there. It's more a test of mind than endurance.

I'm currently about 2k ly out doing my own things so I'm going to try and get back tonight and get ready for it. Really looking forward to it

Oh it's very much a test of endurance. Most commanders don't realize just how FAR away 80,000ly is, and then you have to fly home too!

I'm already 9000ly out in the NGC 6537 Nebula surveying landable worlds. Gonna head core-ward later this week.

bah, I want to explore as well. But not exclusively for a loong time. It sucks so much that you cannot have two ships at the same time :( Oh and exploration is not as fun with Oculus Rift I guess. I don't see the small details that are what all your great screenshots are transporting anyway :(

Getting the game a second time (in the next sale) and using another account would be possible but I don't want to go that route :(

hepburn3d

Oh it's very much a test of endurance. Most commanders don't realize just how FAR away 80,000ly is, and then you have to fly home too!

I'm already 9000ly out in the NGC 6537 Nebula surveying landable worlds. Gonna head core-ward later this week.

I am hugely concerned at how far it is in such a short time. I know 12 weeks seems long but I usually spend hours meandering around each planet. I'll be non stop jumping at this rate :p can't say no to a challenge though. Getting to the other side as a group will be amazing. I really hope I can make it all the way.

Edit

Edit
6666ly a week! Holy barnacles that's a lot :/ I've had to tell the wife about this. Make sure she knows what the commitment involves :eek:

I don't know if I could do that. It could be too much for me. That's about 200 jumps a week. Maaaaan. I so want to go but don't want the journey to burn me out either

Edit
Ok just test it and it takes me an hour to do 2k ly just jumping and scooping. So it's going to take 40 hours approx to get to the other side. I think I can do that. Worst case scenario I come join you all for the first 10k ly of the journey :)

Jedi2016

I'm already on a big trip around the galaxy, I may swing by the far edge.. I assume they're planning to hit whatever star is the absolute most distant from Earth. Do they have a plan for when they'll arrive there? I may actually meet them.. just be hangin' out when they arrive.

"'Sup."

lol

psylah

Nearly lost a quarter million in bounty credits pulling fancy moves in a resource extraction site. Was being targeted by an enemy, tried to pull a 180 near an asteroid and smacked into it, took out my shields and about 40% of my hull. Made it out alive, though.

It's that "one more kill" attitude that'll get ya every time.

I flew a Type 6 for a few weeks last year while I was saving up for my Asp. I love the ship. It's a sluggish flying barge but it's top speed is fantastic and the view from the seat is exceptional. I did trade runs in it mostly but I also explored quite a bit with it too, the T6 actually makes for a pretty great exploration ship. It's biggest drawback is that it runs hot so fuel scooping can be tricky. It's not a great combat ship though, and it's best defense is it's awesome boost speed to get away from combat. Plenty defensable enough for trade runs though.

I'm going to buy it and try mining over hauling / playing the market. I have no idea how to play the market properly. reading the commodity movement on the galaxy map is confusing.

Mengy

I'm going to buy it and try mining over hauling / playing the market.

The Type-6 makes for an excellent mining ship. Mining is actually quite fun now since they put the mining drones in the game.

I'm already on a big trip around the galaxy, I may swing by the far edge.. I assume they're planning to hit whatever star is the absolute most distant from Earth. Do they have a plan for when they'll arrive there? I may actually meet them.. just be hangin' out when they arrive.

The plan is to arrive at Beagle Point, CEECKIA ZQ-L C24-0, sometime around the beginning of March. I honestly don't plan on seeing the inside of a space station until mid to late summer...

nubbe

Bought a Vulture on a station that had no upgrades for it... could only jump 7LY
Was exciting trying to navigate to an Industry system and pray it had upgrades :p

hepburn3d

Met up with a CMDR for some driving fun in Palleni. Was good fun. Looking forward to Thursdays take off. We'll be chasing you soon Mengy

Jedi2016

The plan is to arrive at Beagle Point, CEECKIA ZQ-L C24-0, sometime around the beginning of March. I honestly don't plan on seeing the inside of a space station until mid to late summer...
March, huh? I can probably make it. I'm probably about a third of the way there.. not quite a quarter-turn around the galaxy just yet, about 2/3 of the way out from the core.

Bought a Vulture on a station that had no upgrades for it... could only jump 7LY
Was exciting trying to navigate to an Industry system and pray it had upgrades :p
Heh.. I remember that in my Vulture. They had upgrades, but not for the FSD. The trip to the nearest High Tech system was only about thirty light years away or thereabouts, but it took like thirteen jumps to get there. And sitting at each star for two minutes because of the dinky little Class 1 Fuel Scoop I got to make the trip. That's the downside of the combat ships in general, really.. I'm in a FDL now, and it can only jump around 14ly.

patchday

Is anyone doing the Distant worlds trip on Thursday? I've signed up but I struggle to keep up with the forum.

oh yall planning some sort of trip around the galaxy? I wonder what time? wondering how I missed this cause I check this thread pretty often

Mengy

oh yall planning some sort of trip around the galaxy? I wonder what time? wondering how I missed this cause I check this thread pretty often

I posted about it in this thread a few weeks ago, didn't seem to garner much interest, lol! I've been signed up for weeks now, the fleet leaves tomorrow!

psylah

After buying the Type 6 and heading out to the local asteroid belt to do some mining, it occurred to me that I should probably learn how to mine.

I shot the lasers at the rock and the ore came out and I scooped it and it went into my refinery, but that worked for like two scoops, and the refinery was busy. There's got to be a better way! Luckily youtube is full of people who know what they're doing, I just hope these tutorials are up to date.

Burny

After buying the Type 6 and heading out to the local asteroid belt to do some mining, it occurred to me that I should probably learn how to mine.

I spend the better part of a day finding out how mining worked. You need prospector as well as collector limpets and a recently sized refinery. Wouldn't try it with anything smaller than a T6.

The one impression I got was that the chance to find the really valuable resources seems to be the highest in high intensity RES. Where a T6 and an ASP have rather limited survivability.

Mengy

I spend the better part of a day finding out how mining worked. You need prospector as well as collector limpets and a recently sized refinery. Wouldn't try it with anything smaller than a T6.

Yeah the prospectors are what make mining worth it now. There is one ship smaller than the T6 that is great at mining: the new Cobra MkIV. It has great internals and trades cargo space for more weapons.

The one impression I got was that the chance to find the really valuable resources seems to be the highest in high intensity RES. Where a T6 and an ASP have rather limited survivability.

You don't need to be in a high intensity RES but you really should always be mining in pristine metallic rings, as they have the best ores. The problem with the RES sites is that you constantly get interrupted by pirates, and truthfully the ores aren't any better in the RES than they are outside of them.

psylah

Does the refinery put the final product into cargo? Can I drop cargo racks for more refinery space / required limpets? Around how much cargo do I need, the T-6 comes default with 50 slots.

Burny

recently sized
Decently! >.<

You don't need to be in a high intensity RES but you really should always be mining in pristine metallic rings, as they have the best ores. The problem with the RES sites is that you constantly get interrupted by pirates, and truthfully the ores aren't any better in the RES than they are outside of them.
Mh, good to know. I had the impression that I got better results in a high RES, but my sample size is too small to confirm that. Although I imagine (!) Reading in some change log from Frontier that the high RES indeed should result in higher valued resources, back from when the high RES were introduced. Could be mis-remembering though.

Does the refinery put the final product into cargo? Can I drop cargo racks for more refinery space / required limpets? Around how much cargo do I need, the T-6 comes default with 50 slots.
Yes, the refinery will. No, don't drop cargo for refinery space. Still, get a decently large refinery with 7 or 8 buckets! You need all the cargo space you can get. Especially as limpets also take up cargo space until you use them.

nubbe

don't you get a order of magnitude more credits from shooting the ships instead of the rocks in RES?
mining is also insanely more complicated and time consuming

cyress8

Banned
don't you get a order of magnitude more credits from shooting the ships instead of the rocks in RES?

Yep, make a few million in a night by going to a Hazardous RES.

Vulture makes it easy to take down Anacondas and Pythons.

I would rather earn my money by doing missions though. Searching and interdicting wanted prey is more fun. Just not enough to make it worthwhile. I want an Anaconda or Python for my next ship.

hepburn3d

Lots of ships coming into land in Pallaeni tonight. Cutters, Anacondas, lots of ASPs. Tomorrow is shaping up to be an epic launch. Fingers crossed the servers hold up.

All in all we have 804 CMDRs heading for Beagle Point. Mengy has a huge head start on most of us.

I wonder how many of the 800 will make it there and make it back.

Good luck to any Gaffers joining in

o7

Dizzy-4U

Anyone having issues with the server? I got kicked 15 minutes ago and can't login anymore.

Edit: Nevermind. There are server issues.

Kiyoshi

Yes, but not everything is balanced to have the same profit per hour; and not everyone plays with the goal of earning the most credits they possibly can in every session they play. Mining is just another one of the game's system; so it's something to try. I haven't dabbled in it yet, but I'll give it a go at some stage and then I'll be figuring out a lot of this stuff too.

nubbe

Given the time and effort on the activities the rewards are reversed

Mining is the most time consuming and complex activity you can do
poor reward

Trading between station is relative easy and somewhat time consuming
Average reward

Bounty Hunting is easy and trivial if you stalk internal security
Insane reward

People can surely waste their time as they please
But the design of the economy is some of the weirdest shit i've seen

Mengy

Lots of ships coming into land in Pallaeni tonight. Cutters, Anacondas, lots of ASPs. Tomorrow is shaping up to be an epic launch. Fingers crossed the servers hold up.

All in all we have 804 CMDRs heading for Beagle Point. Mengy has a huge head start on most of us.

Oh it's not just me, there are a bunch of commanders out ahead of the fleet surveying. There's even quite a few out ahead of me, lol.

As for how many make it all the way to Beagle Point, I'm guessing half will make it. I don't think a lot of people comprehend just how FAAARRRRRRR this trip is going.

poor reward

Average reward

Insane reward

Yep, all correct, but you forgot Exploration, which is the absolute worst for reward versus time, even worse than mining.

Nearly lost a quarter million in bounty credits pulling fancy moves in a resource extraction site. Was being targeted by an enemy, tried to pull a 180 near an asteroid and smacked into it, took out my shields and about 40% of my hull. Made it out alive, though.

It's that "one more kill" attitude that'll get ya every time.

if you're not clenching your ass cheeks at least once every other play session, you're going to burn on on ED because it's too easy. I don't leave a RES site until my canopy breaks or i hit < 20% hull. No exceptions. If I find myself getting bored I force the action by jumping a wing of 3 big ships. Adds to my entertainment quite a bit.

Kiyoshi

poor reward

Average reward

Insane reward

I agree with you that the balancing is off. I'm not sure I would still be playing the game if I were looking to maximise the most profits each time I play the game. It's a bit off in that regard, and just turns into a grind or repetitive as you'd just end up doing the same thing over and over.

RedSwirl

So even though I don't have Horizons, I still noticed the big update that came to the base game and the changes it has brought. I also just noticed that there are stations you can dock at on landable planets. My ships even have orbital flight mode now.

Is there anything I can do with this stuff without Horizons? Even if I don't have a rover can I still dock at a surface-side station? I'm in a system right now where the only station with outfitting is on a moon.

Edit: It turns out I do have a planetary landing suite thing even though I didn't buy Horizons. I read the getting started page at Frontier but I'm still not sure how to quickly fly around a planet in orbital mode.

DrBo42

Edit: It turns out I do have a planetary landing suite thing even though I didn't buy Horizons. I read the getting started page at Frontier but I'm still not sure how to quickly fly around a planet in orbital mode.

In orbital flight you keep your heading in the blue section if you're trying to get around it quickly.

Hylian7

poor reward

Average reward

Insane reward

One of the biggest ones that sticks out to me is Powerplay.

Right now, there is almost no incentive to actually help your power in the areas it needs. Merit farming is much less tedious and more rewarding. I have an Anaconda that can hold 450T of cargo. After one initial week that takes a long time to deliver 10k tons of garrison supplies to fortify a system, starting at around 5k merits the next week makes it that much easier. I can invest maybe two hours a week to keep my Rating 5 every single week.

The problem lies with the systems. You can haul the fortify supplies, but why do that when there is a system 17LY away from the HQ system (my Anaconda can make it in one jump, even fully loaded)? If you look at the fortification progress in this particular system, you see every week it is waaaaay past it's goal. Clearly I am not the only person that does this for the easy Rating 5. With ALD, I'm guaranteed 200% bounty payouts at Rating 5. This can get up to 250/240/230 depending on if her standing for that week is 1, 2, or 3. I always get 200% even if she is #10 (which has never happened and is unlikely to ever happen since she is easily the most profitable power).

The other issue is that not only are the systems that usually need help too far from the HQ, many of them don't even have a station, only outposts. This means you can't land large ships there, meaning your big transport Anaconda, Type 9, or Imperial Cutter can't deliver here, and you have to take something smaller, likely with a shorter jump range, and of course less efficient.

I love this game, but I really wish they would cut down on trying to balance things with tedium. The way PP is right now, there is little else worth caring about for your power than the default bonuses and exclusive module. With my example with ALD, it makes little difference to me if she is #1 or #10, I can still get at least 200% bounties. 250% is nice at #1, but again, often not worth the time I could just be hunting and making money at a 200% payout.

danowat

Banned
A new player considering jumping in on the XBO, could someone point me in the direction of some indepth beginner guide / tutorial videos, that are voiced rather than subbed, so I can listen to them at work?

psylah

I spent about 30 mins mining last night and got about 5 NPC pirates scanning me for goods. No one messed with me, but made me nervous as hell.

In the meantime, I'm shooting a rock and there are lasers firing all around me while the local authorities are wrecking shop, and I'm a wallflower in my Type-6. Maybe I should mine in the Cobra so I can get in on that action too and use the Type-6 just for bigger transport missions...

1452786496-screenshot-0736.png

Barnacles have been found and now Galnet have put out a post saying a transmission was received from 23 LY away, so now we know where to start looking for Thargoids roughly or to progress it further.

They are on Merope 5c, coordinates are also in the screenshot and he larger ones that emit a similar blue light to the UA's drop meta-alloys.

Top Bottom