• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Etrian Odyssey Community Thread: The Ongoing Adventures of Fight and Heal

Zweizer

Banned
Some spoilers for EO2.

bNqawN2.jpg

bTDvWBy.jpg

Y3Rgfmm.jpg

DXAWqoF.jpg

bIy3rQK.jpg

CrdgmRe.jpg

Translation courtesy of /eog/. Couldn't find the source.

MrDoctor

Still (literally) chillin' in the third stratum. Thinking I need to money grind for new equipment after being roadblocked by a boss. Is it going to be as much of a pain in the ass here as it was in the first game?

Letep

Yes you can. Make sure you didn't miss a side path.

Yeah you can go way further. I've mapped the first three floors.
Be sure to carefully go through the area. Are there any secret entrances? Did you accidentally map a wall where there's a space?
Did you actually walk on all the spaces? That might have triggered it.
Arianna stopped me and said I could turn in the quest when I had mapped enough.

Hmm. I missed something. I need to go along the paths I walked from square one to double check.

There were two areas that looked like you could pass through to the other side, but wouldn't allow entrance on the side I was on. Could it be those?

Also, what are the benefits of looking up and around with the slide pad? Is that a way to get secrets, etc?

I'm very excited for the full game tomorrow!

spiritfox

Still (literally) chillin' in the third stratum. Thinking I need to money grind for new equipment after being roadblocked by a boss. Is it going to be as much of a pain in the ass here as it was in the first game?

Is it the stratum boss? Yeah she's a serious wall in EO2. Head bind's a must, and pray that she does not spam Cry Soul. Ugh, not really excited about fighting her in EOU2.

Zweizer

Banned

You'll encounter some of the toughest fights in the game in the 3rd Stratum, so I'd say better ready your team. Have you trained your Hexer? I'd suggest to put points into Volt skills for your Gunner as well.

Hmm. I missed something. I need to go along the paths I walked from square one to double check.

There were two areas that looked like you could pass through to the other side, but wouldn't allow entrance on the side I was on. Could it be those?

Also, what are the benefits of looking up and around with the slide pad? Is that a way to get secrets, etc?

I'm very excited for the full game tomorrow!

It's a good idea to often double check with your map, as it might not always be as accurate as you'd think.

The camera can be useful to look around for FOEs, etc. but otherwise doesn't serve much of a funciton.

MrDoctor

Is it the stratum boss? Yeah she's a serious wall in EO2. Head bind's a must, and pray that she does not spam Cry Soul. Ugh, not really excited about fighting her in EOU2.

You'll encounter some of the toughest fights in the game in the 3rd Stratum, so I'd say better ready your team. Have you trained your Hexer? I'd suggest to put points into Volt skills for your Gunner as well.

It's the fight before that. I do pathetic damage after buffs, and my characters are one-shot by every attack. Hexer skills are the same as I had at Hellion(Frailty, Torpor, and Revenge). Gunner already has Voltshot.

Zweizer

Banned
It's the fight before that. I do pathetic damage after buffs, and my characters are one-shot by every attack. Hexer skills are the same as I had at Hellion(Frailty, Torpor, and Revenge). Gunner already has Voltshot.

The fight against the duo? What level are you? Try to Arm bind the guy as soon as possible. If necessary, max your Hexer and/or Dark Hunter's Force gauge to unleash their Force skills if necessary. Dark Hunter's in particular is especially useful for shutting down a foe. Dampen is more useful than Frailty as well.

Voltshot (and Riskvolt) are for the stratum boss.

omlet

Dampen is a pretty great skill that is better than it sounds like from the description. In case you hadn't already read up on the skill, it nullifies the target's special defense...like to basically everything. Tough boss that takes heavily reduced physical damage? Dampen. FOE absorbs the element your party is strongest with? Dampen. I don't remember off-hand if it also nullifies status/bind resistances ( think it does), but nevertheless I remember Dampen being a key spell to winning several tough fights for my party in OG EOII.

Zweizer

Banned
Maybe scy can chime in to correct me, but I if recall right Dampen basically sets a 20% weakness to all elements (including Cut/Bash/Stab, which is why it makes Frailty kinda redudant), and allows you to ignore resistances.

It's very expensive and only targets a single foe though. It's awesome against bosses.

I'm actually not a big fan of her design... :v Also, Highlander wasn't in the original so that doesn't sound very Classic mode, to me!

Good work. I'd say you're fine keeping the M/A instead of swapping to A/M. I cleared 100% of the game with the party I started with (Fortress, Nightseeker, Dancer, Medic, Runemaster) so M/A will do fine. Pump your M's LUC stat and she can do decently effective heal/bind circles while your Nightseeker can also sub A for the ailment boosts.

There are a whole bunch of great QOL improvements in the remake (and one not so great one). I doubt you will get the same kind of fatigue the original game may have instilled. If you liked the game (EO1) in concept then I'd definitely recommend giving Untold a try (play classic mode).

What's QOL exactly?

I can't choose my 5 man team, so many damn choices.

I guess I'm going to start with:

• Highlander
  • Princess
  • Hexer
  • Dark Hunter
  • Protector(not sure about this one because I also want a Gunner)

I mentioned the I want a damn Gunner in my post.

Also, those are big words for someone that disappeared for a while.
Reading peoples' entire post is difficult and not worth my time. I wish I was skilled enough to manage a party without a Protector but it requires too much effort.

Blame FFXIV for my disappearance.

Reading peoples' entire post is difficult and not worth my time.

I wish I was skilled enough to manage a party without a Protector.

You're beginning to be not worthy of my time, kouhai.

You don't want to be be
ohalawd
tier.

Haha, I played FFXIV for a month, got to level 50 before the exp came out, but I just didn't felt like playing it anymore. (White Mage btw)

You're beginning to be not worthy of my time, kouhai.

You don't want to be be
ohalawd
tier.

Haha, I played FFXIV for a month, got to level 50 before the exp came out, but I just didn't felt like playing it anymore. (White Mage btw)
I accidentally disappoint you. Lawd lives to disappoint you.

First scy and now Slice (or is it Sabre? I never know). When will FFXIV stop its slaughter?
Either is fine, most call me Sabre though.

And I'm weening myself off FFXIV for EO and some other games as Mauricio is right about MMOs taking all your gaming time when you play them rather than a slice like most games.

Nachos

Oh yeah, did I ever post this?

• Highlander
  • Princess
  • Hexer
  • Dark Hunter
I'm thinking
War Magus/Highlander/Beast
Gunner/Troubadour or Sovereign.

First scy and now Slice (or is it Sabre? I never know). When will FFXIV stop its slaughter?
I'm glad my geriatric laptop struggles to run Photoshop. I don't want my free time to suddenly disappear.

omlet

Protector
Princess
War Magus
Hexer
Gunner

Unless War Magus got changed too much and can't heal as well anymore?

Zweizer

Banned
It ALMOST got me, but I forced myself to stop, playing a fucking MMO means you stop playing EVERYTHING else.
I played FFXIV last year. It was ok. Guild Wars 2 though...
And I'm weening myself off FFXIV for EO and some other games as Mauricio is right about MMOs taking all your gaming time when you play them rather than a slice like most games.

This is exactly why I swore off MMOs forever.

Alright, Slice~

Oh yeah, did I ever post this?

Shishou trying to salvage the game~

I don't think you did.

Weebos

Banned
I finally beat
Etreant
yesterday, it was getting down to the wire.

My team was: Dark Hunter, Ronin, Troubador, Survivalist, Alchemist. I wanted to try playing without a dedicated Tank/Healer, it worked out well. I used a Hexer instead of the Survivalist until midway through 3rd stratum. I struggled a bit against the boss, but I just rested a few guys and dedicated them to be specifically against it and won the day.

So now I'll be picking up the new game tomorrow.

How terrible does this team sound?

FR
War Magus
Beast
Highlander
BR
Gunner
Sovereign

I want to try out the classes I have never used, (The EO2 ones and Highlander), and check out what they did to the Princess class. I usually play on Normal so it probably doesn't matter, but I'm thinking of cranking the difficulty up a notch this time around.

Can Highlander be back row in this game?

spiritfox

Protector
Princess
War Magus
Hexer
Gunner

It's got the best heal in the game IMO. Not as powerful as Medic, but turn priority is the best. Also, double Revive for the same TP.

I guess I should post my party. It's currently:

P/R/W
H/G

It's good overall, but I'm not sure what to switch out for Highlander. Maybe Ronin, but I like her too. Ahhhhhhhh

Edit: I just saw your party. You have no DPS at all man, outside Gunner. Princess can heal decently, and you don't really need heavy healing with a Protector. Even with Ailment Cut WM's dmg is not very good, and Hexer falls off later into the game poison-wise. Maybe replace your WM with a DPS?

Protector
Princess
War Magus
Hexer
Gunner

Protector-Princess-War Magus seems like overkill in the defense/healing department.

I like the Protector/Princess combo because it means I don't have to worry that much about the backrow and Protect Order should be enough.

omlet

Protector-Princess-War Magus seems like overkill in the defense/healing department.

I like the Protector/Princess combo because it means I don't have to worry that much about the backrow and Protect Order should be enough.

Edit: I just saw your party. You have no DPS at all man, outside Gunner. Princess can heal decently, and you don't really need heavy healing with a Protector. Even with Ailment Cut WM's dmg is not very good, and Hexer falls off later into the game poison-wise. Maybe replace your WM with a DPS?

Yeah I haven't looked at War Magus really in this version. They were decent duo with Hexer in OG game but with Revenge nerf and ailment cut maybe not being good, I might do a Ronin or Highlander or Dark Hunter up front instead.

spiritfox

Ailment Cut's pretty good, but you cannot spam that consistently and WM has no other dmg skills. Though if you build Force via Princess and continuously land ailments with Hexer, maybe it might work. Still sucks in random battles though.

Nachos

FR
War Magus
Beast
Highlander
BR
Gunner
Sovereign

I want to try out the classes I have never used, (The EO2 ones and Highlander), and check out what they did to the Princess class. I usually play on Normal so it probably doesn't matter, but I'm thinking of cranking the difficulty up a notch this time around.

Can Highlander be back row in this game?
That's the team I'm considering, and I picked it mostly because of its versatility. I don't know how you're planning to use your classes, but I'm planning to use chasing and linking as my main source of damage. Basically throw a ton of attack buffs on the front line and start wailing with elements.

War Magus uses chasers via grimoires, which trigger off the gunner's charge shots, which then trigger the highlander's spear assist and sovereign's link order, which lead to more chases. Then, if anything goes wrong, the war magus, gunner, highlander and sovereign have access to healing; war magus, gunner, and highlander have binds; war magus has access to debuffs, status removal and revival; highlander has AOE attacks; and all of the classes can be used in either row, so it's easy to swap characters around as I need to. The beast's basically there to take hits and Link Order during off-turns.

Granted, I don't have the game, so this composition could completely fall apart when you actually use it, but I guess we'll see tomorrow. And if I remember right, spear skills deal ranged damage, so they should be fine in the back.

atlusprime

Atlus PR

• Highlander
  • Princess
  • Hexer
  • Dark Hunter

Dark Hunters are sooo gooood. Dark Hunter + War Magus feels like cheating.

Unrelated, is here a good spot for QR code swapping or should that stay in the OT?

spiritfox

We could do it in the OT, unless there's a lot (I don't think so).

Speaking of QR codes, you guys should scan the 2 at the back of the booklet when you get it. The Troubador gives a XP up Grimoire, and the Medic has access to an early revive.

Speaking of QR codes, you guys should scan the 2 at the back of the booklet when you get it. The Troubador gives a XP up Grimoire, and the Medic has access to an early revive.

post that shit in here, I'm going digital.

omlet

Dark Hunters are sooo gooood. Dark Hunter + War Magus feels like cheating.

Unrelated, is here a good spot for QR code swapping or should that stay in the OT?
I think either or both is fine, but since it's not the only game with QR codes, maybe here is better in case people want to post codes for other stuff?

I know DH got nerfed a bit in Untold (well FORCE, mainly), but ever since mine FORCE bound Ur-child and gave it a sound whipping, they always have a special spot in my heart, along with Hexers.

Weebos

Banned
That's the team I'm considering, and I picked it mostly because of its versatility. I don't know how you're planning to use your classes, but I'm planning to use chasing and linking as my main source of damage. Basically throw a ton of attack buffs on the front line and start wailing with elements.

War Magus uses chasers via grimoires, which trigger off the gunner's charge shots, which then trigger the highlander's spear assist and sovereign's link order, which lead to more chases. Then, if anything goes wrong, the war magus, gunner, highlander and sovereign have access to healing; war magus, gunner, and highlander have binds; war magus has access to debuffs, status removal and revival; highlander has AOE attacks; and all of the classes can be used in either row, so it's easy to swap characters around as I need to. The beast's basically there to take hits and Link Order during off-turns.

Granted, I don't have the game, so this composition could completely fall apart when you actually use it, but I guess we'll see tomorrow. And if I remember right, spear skills deal ranged damage, so they should be fine in the back.

I like this strategy, I'll have to try it. I haven't messed with links and chasing too much, just a bit in EO4.

I now have a reason to pay attention to QR stuff.

Top Bottom