• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Etrian Odyssey Community Thread: The Ongoing Adventures of Fight and Heal

omlet

Well it took 14(?) tries but I finally killed that darn thunder dragon. It still took 11 turns to chop through all that HP because I had to spend turns dealing with all those binds and ailments, but a win is a win.

His attacks were all over the place. I'm sure there's some logic to it, but aside from the initial 2 moves and a few things like "breath is normally after howl" I felt like I was just guessing randomly.

I was logging his moves as I went to try to find patterns... here are the last few leading up to the win...
1 breath
2 judgement
3 normal
4 judgement
5 normal
6 howl
7 breath
wipe

1 breath
2 judgement
3 howl
4 breath
5 judgement
6 howl
7 breath
8 dance
9 howl
10 breath
wipe

1 breath
2 judgement
3 judgement
4 howl (blocked with head bind)
5 howl
6 dance
7 judgement
wipe

1 breath
2 judgement
front row dead, start over

1 breath
2 judgement
front row dead, start over (yes, I had paralyze resist, yes, tank got paralyzed anyway, yes, twice)

1 breath
2 judgement
3 howl
4 breath
wipe

1 breath
2 judgement
3 normal
4 judgement
5 howl (blocked with head bind)
6 breath (blocked with head bind)
7 dance
8 judgement
9 whatever that single target HP drain move is
10 howl
win

Well it took 14(?) tries but I finally killed that darn thunder dragon. It still took 11 turns to chop through all that HP because I had to spend turns dealing with all those binds and ailments, but a win is a win.

His attacks were all over the place. I'm sure there's some logic to it, but aside from the initial 2 moves and a few things like "breath is normally after howl" I felt like I was just guessing randomly.

I was logging his moves as I went to try to find patterns... here are the last few leading up to the win...

Congrats on the victory. I was under the impression the first 3 turns were fixed, but I guess not. It is true that the moves become random, but Howl should be every 5 turns after the first use. There may be a bit of randomness to it, since I think the first chance for the use of Howl should be on turn 4 ( this was assuming the first 3 turns were fixed), but considering your experience I guess certain actions will influence the pattern as well.

spiritfox

Congrats on the victory. I was under the impression the first 3 turns were fixed, but I guess not. It is true that the moves become random, but Howl should be every 5 turns after the first use. There may be a bit of randomness to it, since I think the first chance for the use of Howl should be on turn 4 ( this was assuming the first 3 turns were fixed), but considering your experience I guess certain actions will influence the pattern as well.

It uses howl when it hits a HP % (I think 50% and 25%), and shifts to a new phase. So if you hit it too hard to fast it might shift before you're ready for it. GameFAQs should have the rotations for the bosses I think.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
So, what makes this game better than any other DRPG (for a person that is unfamiliar with the genre largely)? My main comparison would be something like Demon Gaze.

Demon Gaze is ridiculously simple in almost every aspect of its design, from dungeons, to character growth, to battle options. The largest dungeon floor in DG is about the size of an average dungeon floor in EO, with more fiendish traps/hidden passages and the like.

It uses howl when it hits a HP % (I think 50% and 25%), and shifts to a new phase. So if you hit it too hard to fast it might shift before you're ready for it. GameFAQs should have the rotations for the bosses I think.

I see. As i said before, I use burst damage for post-game so I don't know much about long-term strategies, or boss attacks. I still haven't wrapped up post-game yet, so maybe I'll look into boss patterns some more.

MrDoctor

Trying to decide if it's worth finishing EOIII or not. I thought these games could not get any worse than EOII's fourth stratum, but the second stratum here has proved me wrong. Also doesn't help that the character classes feel very boring, with a couple only seemingly to exist for multiclassing. And, jesus christ, for what purpose was sailing added to the game?

Trying to decide if it's worth finishing EOIII or not. I thought these games could not get any worse than EOII's fourth stratum, but the second stratum here has proved me wrong. Also doesn't help that the character classes feel very boring, with a couple only seemingly to exist for multiclassing. And, jesus christ, for what purpose was sailing added to the game?

What's wrong with the 2nd Stratum of EO3?

omlet

Blizzard King down in 2 tries with U2 story party on expert. It was touch-and-go for a few turns in the middle, but finished with everyone on their feet. Such a piece of cake compared to the Thunder Emperor since frosty only throws 1 ailment at you so really all you need to pay attention to is breath and reflect...

Also, yes, sailing got old super fast in EO3.

Blizzard King down in 2 tries with U2 story party on expert. It was touch-and-go for a few turns in the middle, but finished with everyone on their feet. Such a piece of cake compared to the Thunder Emperor since frosty only throws 1 ailment at you so really all you need to pay attention to is breath and reflect...

That reflect is what did me in my first attempt. Congrats on the kill though. Great Dragon up next, though now that I checked my game I realized I didn't kill him. I guess I stopped before him for whatever reason and never picked the game back up.

Sailing is fun as a puzzle. If you treat it like an overworld then it's a pain.

I actually agree with this. It is an interesting puzzle, but you really need to get the first few food upgrades to really feel it. If you don't, it really feels like a plain hassle.

Shun

What do you think Etrian Odyssey should crossover with next?

It's done Persona and it's done Mystery Dungeon.

I'd love for this formula to be taken onto new series.

spiritfox

EO hunting action game. Kill FOEs and wear them as armor.

Or EO Dancing All Night I guess.

Zweizer

Banned

A dating sim of course!

bMBoACb.jpg

Shun

I was talking in terms of being a labyrinth game like EO. Like Persona Q...

But I would not mind an EO renai game. Just give us routes and endings as well!

kagamin

I was talking in terms of being a labyrinth game like EO. Like Persona Q...

But I would not mind an EO renai game. Just give us routes and endings as well!

How about another first person Maken X game with more open ended objectives (less linearity), and more body jacking mechanics, while mixing in mapping and collecting materials for upgrades, maybe someone can put it out in better terms than me but I thought it sounded interesting.

Black_Red

I suppose this is the best thread to ask this :)

What are the chances of EOV being a 3ds game vs a NX game?.
At first I asummed it was going to be a 3ds game, but it was announced a long time ago and they haven't showed anything D:

Zweizer

Banned
I suppose this is the best thread to ask this :)

What are the chances of EOV being a 3ds game vs a NX game?.
At first I asummed it was going to be a 3ds game, but it was announced a long time ago and they haven't showed anything D:

I'd say the chances aren't nonexistent, but so far so little has been shown that anything's possible.

I'd be down for another SMT EO styled game.

Sadly it sold like shit.

Nachos

Yeah, I tough something like that, I just hope that if it is coming for NX, hopefully NX is a dual screen handheld.
Yeah, honestly it's way too early to come to any kind of conclusion, since we barely know anything tangible about either EO5 or the NX. Plus, Atlus hasn't said anything about doing anything on the 24th this year like they did the two previous years, so it's not like we really know when anything's going to resurface.

MrDoctor

Not sure if old, but EOU 1 is on sale for $9.99 on the North American Eshop till 11/30.
Even cheaper with the Best Buy eShop deal next Thursday. Does Classic Mode hold any real value if you own the original game? I tried the Story demo back when it came out and lol

Zweizer

Banned
Even cheaper with the Best Buy eShop deal next Thursday. Does Classic Mode hold any real value if you own the original game? I tried the Story demo back when it came out and lol

Well, you get to experience the updated mechanics (and it's arguably the most balanced of the EO games so far, though I obviously haven't played EOU2) in 3D with reorchestrated music and remastered labyrinths. Otherwise, not really.

If you enjoyed the original EO you can play it with all the updates that have come with the series since.
It's nice to revisit it without having to go back and replay the original without all the QOL additions.

I really like that Hoist My Sword is the boss theme in EMD.

I haven't gone for any naming convention with EMD, I don't tend to really unless a character reminds me of something. I called my Wanderer Kenshin because Rurouni Kenshin plus the male wanderer even has a cross scar on the same cheek, but it is a girl because she's the ginger. And Argilla because pink hair and pink eyes gunner. Stuff like that. I think everyone else is just named whatever I or my girlfriend thought sounded cool at the time.

Finding it easy, though when I make a mistake I end up nearly losing half the party. Just got to the point where DOEs are introduced, I haven't seen one yet but I'll presume it'll wreck my shit. Also I did see a random Latin-ish name to call the DOEs, does it get mentioned at some point? I always enjoy the forced name for the acronym.

omlet

Ugggggggghhhhhhhh red dragon in EOU2. This HP pool and damage output is absurd. Spent 2 hours wiping to him yesterday with level 89 story mode party...

I really like that Hoist My Sword is the boss theme in EMD.

I haven't gone for any naming convention with EMD, I don't tend to really unless a character reminds me of something. I called my Wanderer Kenshin because Rurouni Kenshin plus the male wanderer even has a cross scar on the same cheek, but it is a girl because she's the ginger. And Argilla because pink hair and pink eyes gunner. Stuff like that. I think everyone else is just named whatever I or my girlfriend thought sounded cool at the time.

Finding it easy, though when I make a mistake I end up nearly losing half the party. Just got to the point where DOEs are introduced, I haven't seen one yet but I'll presume it'll wreck my shit. Also I did see a random Latin-ish name to call the DOEs, does it get mentioned at some point? I always enjoy the forced name for the acronym.

I bought a book of baby names to help with naming my EO characters. I haven't done that yet, but I'll probably play Classic mode on EO 2 Untold and use the naming book for names.

kagamin

I bought a book of baby names to help with naming my EO characters. I haven't done that yet, but I'll probably play Classic mode on EO 2 Untold and use the naming book for names.

I love it, I'm unoriginal and just use gaf member names unlike Zweizer who actually tries to use the names meaningfully. (aside from Zweizer who is always Shishou <3)

Just wondering is Etrian Odyssey Untold worth playing over the original? The classic mode I mean, not the story mode.

It's a good remake, play it on Expert and you'll have a blast.

The only thing that sucks is the Grimoire system crap, but it's still fine. So yeah, play Untold over the original one.

Zweizer

Banned
I love it, I'm unoriginal and just use gaf member names unlike Zweizer who actually tries to use the names meaningfully. (aside from Zweizer who is always Shishou <3)

Aw, shucks~

Just wondering is Etrian Odyssey Untold worth playing over the original? The classic mode I mean, not the story mode.

There's pretty much no reason to play the original over Untold. Grimoires and Floor Jump aside, it's a great remake.

So it's that time of the year where I debate on splurging my precious little disposable income on a 3DS or not.

Is the New 3ds here to stay, or is a successor along the way?

kagamin

So it's that time of the year where I debate on splurging my precious little disposable income on a 3DS or not.

If you're really strapped for cash, no sense in not taking a wait and see approach, you lose nothing for it.

atlusprime

Atlus PR

I mean, if you're strapped for cash and you just wanna play 3DS games, 2DS is not a bad option. But if you gotta have that Xenoblade exclusive to the New 3DS, then yeah, maybe Black Friday sales are the way to go?

My fort team is much better than the party I'm actually using.

Paladin, Landshark, Hexer and Dancer are better than Wanderer, Gunner, Runemaster and Healer. Though I may swap the dancer with my healer because dancer is awesome. But I wanted to use my favourites and my favourites are terrible together aha.

But I like gunner, wanderer and runemaster though ;-;
It doesn't seem like a very viable team against the bigger DOEs. Because only gunner can affect them with a status. I guess I might change my team. Best thing about this is that it is super easy to level up other characters so I can swap and change the team I use all the time. I'm actually really enjoying this. I mean if the new Pokemon Mystery Dungeon wasn't out 3 months later in Europe I'd be playing that instead so y'know.
But Hexer definitely needs to get into my party as they're so damn useful.

Zweizer

Banned
Wanderers actually can inflict status on DOEs with Skill Bind, and although shaky, a Runemaster's Volt skills can pretty reliably paralyzes any foes, including DOEs (but it only lasts for one hit).

If you're short on cash you could always get a 2DS, but I still recommend the N3DSXL, it's a pretty nice handheld.

The 3ds is more than worth it even if we might get a successor in 2 years.

Top Bottom