• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Euro 2012 |OT| of England? You're having Olaff

Status
Not open for further replies.

operon

Entered Team Name: New Gafland
its just rough and ready at the moment, more thought will have to go into it

capture.jpg

Listen to fuenf. ^ a Boateng could go without a single minute through the tournament..

I would welcome it if some ppl. who are familiar with a particular national team/players could write a summary/their assessment about the said national team/players.
I'll write some about Germany later today.

NHale

Manuel Fernandes is not one of the 23 Portugal players, so you better change that :lol:

Listen to fuenf. ^ a Boateng could go without a single minute through the tournament..

I would welcome it if some ppl. who are familiar with a particular national team/players could write a summary/their assessment about the said national team/players.
I'll write some about Germany later today.

I'll start with Portugal.

The starting 11 will probably be:
R.Patricio (best form of his career)
J. Pereira (good offensive skills, struggles against great players, which will be a problem vs. GER and NED)
B. Alves (very physical CB that has great aerial skills. Scores some goals on set pieces)
Rolando (overrated player that tends to make a lot of mistakes when marking his man)
F. Coentrao (plays very well in the national squad and was their best player in the 2010 World Cup. Attacks a lot more than in Real Madrid and his defensive skills are solid although he still makes a lot of mistakes when going for the tackle)
M. Veloso (the only doubt in the starting 11. The true definition of an average player that sometimes plays great but sometimes is worse than someone without a brain)
J. Moutinho (solid player that had a bad year playing for Porto. He is a worker but rarely scores goals)
R. Meireles (the darkhorse for best goal scorer for this team. His long range can prove to be essential because everyone knows that Ronaldo sucks playing for Portugal and our strikers are worse than shit)
C. Ronaldo (well...if he played like he plays for Real Madrid...or if we played our games against Albania, Lichtenstein and Iceland...)
Nani (has been the best player for the national squad for quite a while. Unfortunately he had a bad year and some people believe Quaresma could take his spot :lol)
Postiga/H. Almeida (they both suck and would be lucky to score a goal in this Euro)

thy_

My (preliminary) team:

- Two goalkeepers with good chances of clean sheets
- A complete fullback defense for the higher scoring and assisting potential.
- Midfield is currently a bit to defensive minded for my taste.
- I fully expect to only ever have Huntelaar as a striker on the pitch at the end of the match-day.

I'm hoping to shuffle Thiago Motta, Busquets and Welbeck around, but probably only after all the friendlies have been played and the final rosters are implemented.

NHale

Is Pepe unlikely to start? He's a great defender when he keeps his head on

I forgot about him. I knew shitty Rolando was not supposed to play, but I'm so pissed at our team that I even forget our best players.

Like you said Pepe is amazing when he worries about playing and not about killing his opponent, which unfortunately only happens in half the games he plays.

I've never understood this. They are shit, play some u20 kid or something.

Our best u20 striker scored the amazing amount of ZERO goals for Benfica during the Portuguese championship. Even the embarassing Marc Janko managed to score 5 or 6 goals in half a year in Portugal...

Unfortunately the media over here is hyping the kid like he's the 2nd coming of Eusebio and so people believe he's great. He has the potential and physical tools but he's not there yet.

rawd

The U20 kids are even worse. We are already bringing Nelson Oliveira who scored 3 goals this season, apparently this is the 3rd best striker in the country.

Atleast they will run around with limitless energy for 90 mins. Anything is better than watching those 2 clowns miss CRon's perfect set ups.

I noticed some people people have Akinfeev in their squads. He will likely be the second choice keeper for Russia behind Malafeev.

I wanted more Germans lol

uJVzs.png

(Hart on the bench because the Danish gk plays first)

Pretty sure you can't change players in between rounds like that and get points for both of them. Also doubt Lindegaard will play, it will probably (sadly) be Thomas Sørensen.

I noticed some people people have Akinfeev in their squads. He will likely be the second choice keeper for Russia behind Malafeev.

What happened to that guy? I noticed it in Fifa too, a few years ago everyone were talking about him being the next big thing and going to take over for van der sar.

As everyone else is doing theirs....

[IMG']http://i.imgur.com/l6p9n.png[/IMG]

Hope for you that Kjær won't keep us his Roma (or last world cup) performances haha

D4Danger

Unconfirmed Member
Pretty sure you can't change players in between rounds like that and get points for both of them.

that's not what the stupid assistant manager told me :(

Lindegaard is on your bench but plays before Hart. You should swap them and use substitutions if he fails to perform.

am I reading that wrong? I thought I could just sub him after the game if he didn't play/sucked.

Also doubt Lindegaard will play, it will probably (sadly) be Thomas Sørensen.

ahhh, nuts. I thought he was their first choice for the finals. Google failed me.

am I reading that wrong? I thought I could just sub him after the game if he didn't play/sucked.

Hmm well if it says that, I guess you can do it. Was assuming it worked like the premier league fantasy team stuff.

Regarding Lindegaard : He would no doubt at least challenge Sørensen as the starter normally, but he has been injuried for a long time at United and was the last keeper to be called up for Denmark, so have my doubts.

Falch

Dick Advocaat announced the squad of this Russian team:

Goal: Igor Akinfeev (CSKA Moskou), Vyacheslav Malafeev (Zenit Sint-Petersburg), Anton Shunin (Dinamo Moskou).

Defenders: Aleksandr Anyukov (Zenit Sint-Petersburg), Aleksei Berezutski (CSKA Moskou), Sergei Ignashevich (CSKA Moskou), Roman Sharonov (Rubin Kazan), Vladimir Granat (Dinamo Moskou), Kirill Nababkin (CSKA Moskou).

Midfield: Igor Denisov (Zenit Sint-Petersburg), Denis Glushakov (Lokomotiv Moskou), Igor Semshov (Dinamo Moskou), Roman Shirokov (Zenit Sint-Petersburg), Konstantin Zyryanov (Zenit Sint-Petersburg), Yuri Zhirkov (Anzhi Makhachkala), Alan Dzagoev (CSKA Moskou), Marat Izmailov (Sporting Lissabon), Dmitri Kombarov (Spartak Moskou).

Strikers: Andrei Arshavin (Zenit Sint-Petersburg), Aleksandr Kerzhakov (Zenit Sint-Petersburg), Aleksandr Kokorin (Dinamo Moskou), Roman Pavlyuchenko (Lokomotiv Moskou), Pavel Pogrebnyak (Fulham)

Huntelaar > Van Persie. I can feel it.

I seriously doubt this. My bet on the starting eleven against Denmark:

Stekelenburg
vd Wiel--Mathijssen--Heitinga--Schaars/Bouma/Anita/Willems/My grandmother/Cruijff
--------Strootman/de Jong--Van Bommel
Kuyt/vd Vaart--------Sneijder-------Robben
-----------------van Persie

Chuckie

I seriously doubt this. My bet on the starting eleven against Denmark:

Stekelenburg
vd Wiel--Mathijssen--Heitinga--Schaars/Bouma/Anita/Willems/My grandmother/Cruijff
--------Strootman/de Jong--Van Bommel
Kuyt/vd Vaart--------Sneijder-------Robben
-----------------van Persie

I think you could be right. I also think van Marwijk has to give Huntelaar some more time. If Robin isn't performing first half... take him out and let Huntelaar play second half.

I like Van Persie, I would love to see him shine.... but to be honest his time is running out... if he doesn't start to perform this tourney I'd rather see him leave Oranje. (or rather have Huntelaar start instead of RvP)

krishian

This will end well. I usually just pick a couple of players I like, fill the remaining spots with the cheapest players I can get and leave it till the end of the tournament.

Roki6

Banned
reporting in with my new avatar :) (thanks to CaramaC)

I am slightly more optimistic after yesterday match against Estonia (3:1).
Win against Ireland would be great boost for match against Italy. We usually play good against top teams so I hope for those two wins.

Falch

Definitive Dutch Euro Squad:

Goal:
Tim Krul (Newcastle United), Maarten Stekelenburg (AS Roma), Michel Vorm (Swansea City).

Defense
Khalid Boulahrouz (VfB Stuttgart), Wilfred Bouma (PSV), John Heitinga (Everton), Joris Mathijsen (Málaga), Ron Vlaar (Feyenoord), Gregory van der Wiel (Ajax), Jetro Willems (PSV).

Midfield
Mark van Bommel (AC Milan), Nigel de Jong (Manchester City), Stijn Schaars (Sporting Lissabon), Wesley Sneijder (Internazionale), Kevin Strootman (PSV), Rafael van der Vaart (Tottenham Hotspur).

Attack
Ibrahim Afellay (Barcelona), Klaas-Jan Huntelaar (Schalke 04), Luuk de Jong (FC Twente), Dirk Kuijt (Liverpool), Luciano Narsingh (SC Heerenveen), Robin van Persie (Arsenal), Arjen Robben (Bayern München).

Most noticable names are surprise inclusions of Jetro Willems (18 year left back, PSV, hugely talented) and Luciano Narsingh (21 year right winger, Heerenveen but definitely leaving this summer).

I think you could be right. I also think van Marwijk has to give Huntelaar some more time. If Robin isn't performing first half... take him out and let Huntelaar play second half.

I like Van Persie, I would love to see him shine.... but to be honest his time is running out... if he doesn't start to perform this tourney I'd rather see him leave Oranje. (or rather have Huntelaar start instead of RvP)

Yeah I definitely see your point, Huntelaar is certainly a good alternative.

thy_

Anyone watching Brazil vs Denmark?
This is going to be a harsh Euro for the Danes, if they play like that. 3-0 at halftime

Jamie OD

db960147.jpg

Today I went to see Ireland's last game at home before the tournament begins. Ireland beat Bosnia-Herzegovina 1-0 with Shane Long scoring. Nothing really major happened. Robbie Keane wasn't going for the ball unless he was certain he would get to shoot while Damien Duff looked a bit vulnerable by getting tripped a lot. But the team looked competent out there and they can be trouble for anyone they face. Other then that, a lovely day to enjoy some football in Ireland.

You must defeat Shane Long to stand a chance.

fuenf

Is anyone interested in an Euro 2012 prediction / betting league? We could use the official one at UEFA.com (but that one requires you to predict the entire tournament in advance) or a Website like http://www.kicktipp.de/?language=en_GB , where you can predict each matchday separately. Let me know what you think.

Is anyone interested in an Euro 2012 prediction / betting league? We could use the official one at UEFA.com (but that one requires you to predict the entire tournament in advance) or a Website like http://www.kicktipp.de/?language=en_GB , where you can predict each matchday separately. Let me know what you think.

I prefer the whole each machday at a time one.

----

Decided to re do a bit of my team after your guys suggestions...

DWYza.png

Rikkun

So many Marchisios in GAF midfields.. I'm too afraid to put my money on Italy, will wait for a friendly to see how the team plays under Prandelli (hopefully he watched carefully Juventus this year
LLShC.gif
)

EDIT: Joined both!

Hieberrr

Just ordered my Germany shirt! :D

I ordered from World Soccer Shop and having it shipped to Canada, so I hope it won't take too long. The website said it takes 2-3 weeks LOL. Oh well, as long as I get it >:D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom