• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Euro 2012 |OT| of England? You're having Olaff

Status
Not open for further replies.

scorcho

testicles on a cold fall morning
there hasn't been creativity on England's national squad in years. talk about a squad living off the fumes of its past...

Hodgson can only do so much considering he was given only months to leave his imprint on the team.

and looking at the replay again, Milner's first touch was diabolical. completely made it so that few could've hit the ball in from that angle and that speed.

Wilbur

Banned
I was happy for half an hour; we were comfortable in possession, Welbeck and Ox were getting on the ball and exciting, and we were matching the French. They looked a little more composed but that was to be expected.

The moment we scored, then we started whacking the ball forward and sitting back. Bah.

Parker, Lescott, Welbeck and Ox (despite one or two mistakes) been our best players so far, Nasri and Cabaye for France. Hart should have done better with the save but made a great save.

1-1 would be a good score but I hope we don't play like fucking idiots now we've scored.

France are out playing England.

France are walking through that defence.

Lescott goal was against the run of play.

Hodgson seems to have sucked the creativity out of that team, sitting deep and playing safe.

I wouldn't blame Hodgson for that. If you have ever seen England at a tournament, 1-0 to the good then you should recognise how they are playing.

jtb

Banned

Hodgson seems to have sucked the creativity out of that team, sitting deep and playing safe.

:lol at the thought that this team has any world class creative players. hodgson is using a bit of common sense - expansive play and england would be in far worse shape.

Be scared, Les Bleus fans. Hodgson will pull the tippy-tappy Welbeck off for big-man legend Carroll, then England will step up a gear and kick that ball long and high, proper Tuesday-night-at-the-Britannia style.

Kenka

Can't wait for him to come to Newcastle.

fck_gif.gif

No, he is meant to come to Bayern or Schalke.

England should switch Milner to LM. Debuchy is getting forwards way too much and Oxlade is doing nothing against him defensively.

They also need Parker and Gerrard to start pulling their weight. What is Parker doing in the side if he isn't harrying and tackling? He is just backing off and isn't going to do anything on the ball.

Young also needs to drop a little bit and help link the play.

Kozak

Banned

Sucked the creativity out of the team? You make it seem like there has been creativity in the English team.

I really think a Downing and Walcott substitution around the 70th minute could swing this game in England's favour.

scorcho

testicles on a cold fall morning
thank god Bob Ley isn't in charge of the US coverage today. he's completely out of his element trying to talk soccer with either Lalas or Ballack.

Clegg

Englands defending for the French goal was appalling.

Hart shouldn't have been beaten on his near post either.

Milner and Young have been poor.

rodvik

What is it with England and our aversion to retaining possession? Every tournament we surrender the midfield. Crazy.

Anyways The Hodge will fix that shit up at half time with a Churchillian speech.

Hixx

HT thoughts:

- both teams look like they'd be satisfied with a point. Be big favourites in both their next fixtures
- Nasri is giving Parker the run around. Parker has looked a little boy lost today and has been utterly ineffectual with and without the ball
- Milner doing what I expected - fuck all. Not even working hard, looks straight up lazy when getting back to help Johnson
- English midfield are sitting far too deep, absolutely astonishing and the reason why Nasri had so long to pick his spot
- One of Welbeck and Young needs to drop short to pick up the clearances as Cabaye and Diarra are picking them up unopposed

I genuinely think our negativity is going to cost us 2 points here. The 10 minutes either side of the goal we looked good, Young needs to get back into the game.

Salazar

Be scared, Les Bleus fans. Hodgson will pull the tippy-tappy Welbeck off for big-man legend Carroll, then England will step up a gear and kick that ball long and high, proper Tuesday-night-at-the-Britannia style.

I'm imagining a Hornblower-style conference at the French dugout.

"Mon capitaine, he is out of our class. It would be suicide to engage".

Arnie

If France were walking into our defence then they'd be in front. Ironically we've penetrated the French defence far better when Milner had an open goal to aim for. Your assessment's way off.

England are not inviting pressure intentionally. They are infamous for poor ball retention. When playing against sides that keep the ball well, then it forces England to sit deep. It's been this way since I've been watching this sport; England sit deep because they cant keep the ball

Jburton

Banned
If France were walking into our defence then they'd be in front. Ironically we've penetrated the French defence far better when Milner had an open goal to aim for. Your assessment's way off.

French were camped outside the English box for the last 15 mins and the English defence was woeful.

England are not inviting pressure intentionally. They are infamous for poor ball retention. When playing against sides that keep the ball well, then it forces England to sit deep. It's been this way since I've been watching this sport; England sit deep because they cant keep the ball
That's part of it but they are actively choosing no to pressure the ball. France pass forwards and England players are close to the receiving player but back off. It's a tactical choice or just pure stupidity from the players.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom