• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Euro 2012 |OT| of England? You're having Olaff

Status
Not open for further replies.

Meier

Didn't give Ukraine much of a chance in this group and I still think France and England will beat them, but hats off to them. A fantastic result.

Korez

untitled-1735jr5.gif

untitled-15mqjvk.gif

gurasa

Open game and fun to watch. Congrats Sheva, tough luck Zlatan. Both teams will be spanked by France/England though.

edit: ^ What an awesome kid. Best GIF of the tournament so far. :)

kottila

Ok, just watched the overhead replay of ukraines second goal. Not really zlatans fault. Someone should've sticked to Sheva all the time

lilltias

UUuuuuurk! Good game by Ukraine but we had some nice moments too.

Jävla skit dock. How the fuck do you not mark Shevo like that? Off to play D3 :(

clemenx

Banned
Every game has been at least good, imo. Ugh, why the hell is UEFA watering down this competition for 2016?? :( having 24 teams will suck.

Bento

Since I consider our chances to progress now to be slim I'll simply hope that Denmark can continue their miracle run and keep the Nordic countries in this :p

Wilbur

Banned
Every game has been at least good, imo. Ugh, why the hell is UEFA watering down this competition for 2016?? :( having 24 teams will suck.

I can think of a few good teams to have there, to be fair. Belgium, Turkey, Switzerland, Serbia, Montenegro, Bosnia... and I'd love to have Scotland there for the shits and giggles

ksan

Shit sucks when you can't beat a team playing like that, maybe it'd be better if we had started playing ourselves before minute 75.

and I must say that I found it pretty amusing to see Yanukovych and Platini (I think?) sitting there together, seems to be made of the same moral fiber anyway

What is the format for that anyways?

The format of the final tournament will consist of six groups of four teams, followed by a round of 16, quarter-finals, semi-finals and final. The top two from each group would qualify in addition to the four best third-ranked sides, the same system as was applied in the World Cups from 1986 to 1994. This format would generate a total of 51 to 52 games, compared with 31 now, to be played over a period of 29 to 31 days. UEFA's general secretary Gianni Infantino said that the new format was "not ideal" and that UEFA was not sure of the detail of the format
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/UEFA_Euro_2016#Expanded_format

German fans used Messi chant outside Portugal’s hotel before (and during) win

In the hours leading up to the big game between Germany and Portugal, Cristiano Ronaldo is once again the focus of attention. Around thirty German supporters gathered at the hotel where the Portuguese team is staying in order to voice the now famous chant "Messi, Messi, Messi" with the aim of winding up the Portuguese star. The chants and taunts aimed at Cristiano Ronaldo were repeated throughout the game from the stands in which the clear majority were German fans [12,000 to 5,000]. There were significantly more German supporters in the stadium as the distance between Berlin and Lviv, where the game was played, is only 929 Km.

Bosnian fans gave Ronaldo the "Messi" treatment at the airport before their team's Euro 12 playoff. It didn't work at all, but it seems it did give other countries an idea that might follow Cristiano through the tournament, as it does when he plays at the club level in Spain.​

lol-guy.png

rodvik

In the hours leading up to the big game between Germany and Portugal, Cristiano Ronaldo is once again the focus of attention. Around thirty German supporters gathered at the hotel where the Portuguese team is staying in order to voice the now famous chant "Messi, Messi, Messi" with the aim of winding up the Portuguese star. The chants and taunts aimed at Cristiano Ronaldo were repeated throughout the game from the stands in which the clear majority were German fans [12,000 to 5,000]. There were significantly more German supporters in the stadium as the distance between Berlin and Lviv, where the game was played, is only 929 Km.

Bosnian fans gave Ronaldo the "Messi" treatment at the airport before their team's Euro 12 playoff. It didn't work at all, but it seems it did give other countries an idea that might follow Cristiano through the tournament, as it does when he plays at the club level in Spain.​

Ronaldo has the last laugh. Messi wasnt good enough to qualify for the Euros. :)

IceCold

lol-guy.png

Good. Ronaldo plays better when fans do such chantings.

IceCold

Like the way he played against Germany during the game that article is talking about?

He didn't play that bad. But his performance has less to do with him and more with the team in general and the tactics used by the coach. See his performance in club level as proof. Opposing fans have been heckling him for years, all the way back to his Man Utd days (especially after that wink incident) and it doesn't seem to bother him much. In fact, I think he likes it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RcOCKd-3a-U

And yet he scored a hat trick and still managed to overshadow Ronaldo, even from a friendly vs the Brazilian Olympic team in New Jersey.

One was playing in a friendly while the other in the 2nd most prestigious football tournament. Sure he performed better but so what? The media loves rivalries and loves to play up the Ronaldo vs Messi saga.

Juicy Bob

In 2016, why don't they do four groups of six teams and have the top two go through to the quarters? You still get more games, but it's not too many more.

Unless I'm being a total numpty and haven't realised something blindly wrong with that...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom