• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Euro 2012 |OT| of England? You're having Olaff

Status
Not open for further replies.

Danielsan

Portugal 1 - 0 Denmark
Germany 3 - 1 The Netherlands

Those are the prediction I made before the tournament started and I'm sticking by them.

soepje

Come on fellow Dutchies, have some faith!
Remember that one time where we thought Brazil was unbeatable..? Guess what happened next! And then Uruguay seemed impossible to beat? Oh yea babes!

Holland was just lazy against Denmark, unprepaired. Happens to the best, but they´ve checked Germany´s play second by second, they will be prepaired for you Germany! Be afraid of team Hollandias, be VERY AFRAID!

zonezeus

Apparently this draw helped to calm the situation outside the stadium and most peeps are safe and sound in their houses, hotels or whatever their destination was. Police lines are still protecting the main streets, I've seriously never seen so many pre-emptive police on the streets.

z11921970X.jpg

z11921968X.jpg

No confirmation of previously rumored fatality so I guess it was just that, a rumour. 130 (!) hools arrested, 10 hospitalised, including 7 Poles, 2 Russians and 1 German (I don't even...) I'm still trying not to be overly optimistic over this but it looks like the worst part of the tournament is almost behind us.

No confirmation of previously rumored fatality so I guess it was just that, a rumour. 130 (!) hools arrested, 10 hospitalised, including 7 Poles, 2 Russians and 1 German (I don't even...) I'm still trying not to be overly optimistic over this but it looks like the worst part of the tournament is almost behind us.

We may not have won the game but at least our hooligans came out on top!

protonion

Russia 4
Czech Republic 3
Poland 2
Greece 1

If Greece beats Russia they will go to the next round no matter the other result. Not only that, they may kick out Russia too unless there is no winner at the other game. Crazy group.

Russia 4
Czech Republic 3
Poland 2
Greece 1

If Greece beats Russia they will go to the next round no matter the other result. Not only that, they may kick out Russia too unless there is no winner at the other game. Crazy group.

Russia can lose the game and still win the group. Believe!

Crazy group, indeed.

zonezeus

We may not have won the game but at least our hooligans came out on top!

The more of these fucks going down the better, so I think we're actually winning here ;) A win on the pitch would've been nice too, but I guess this draw was well deserved for both teams, even though I still claim Russia was slightly better.

gg

Kurtofan

Russia 4
Czech Republic 3
Poland 2
Greece 1

I'd like to say "go greece" just for the crazy result, but you just know Greece is going to get destroyed.

edit: ^ that won't help you :p

If Germany came out on top in the group I'd rather we faced Russia than Poland. Poland knows our players (Dortmund, Bayern), they have the home turf advantage and are seemingly more unpredictable than Russia. Also our LB (Lahm) sucks atm and the left winger never helps out (Podolski) so Piszczek & Kuba could do some damage.

So if we were to qualify for the quarterfinals as group leaders, I'd love for Poland to win and for Russia to lose for the last games. Which would result in:

PL 5
RU 4
CZ 3
GR 3

edit: ^ that won't help you :p

If Germany came out on top in the group I'd rather we faced Russia than Poland. Poland knows our players (Dortmund, Bayern), they have the home turf advantage and are seemingly more unpredictable than Russia. Also our LB (Lahm) sucks atm and the left winger never helps out (Podolski) so Piszczek & Kuba could do some damage.

So if we were to qualify for the quarterfinals as group leaders, I'd love for Poland to win and for Russia to lose for the last games. Which would result in:

PL 5
RU 4
CZ 3
GR 3
You got your standings wrong there. If Poland win and Russia lose then Greece would come second in the group as they would have 4 points.

And Russia was in a qualifying group with Germany for World Cup 2010 so there is some familiarity there.

Come on fellow Dutchies, have some faith!
Remember that one time where we thought Brazil was unbeatable..? Guess what happened next! And then Uruguay seemed impossible to beat? Oh yea babes!

Holland was just lazy against Denmark, unprepaired. Happens to the best, but they´ve checked Germany´s play second by second, they will be prepaired for you Germany! Be afraid of team Hollandias, be VERY AFRAID!

I WANT TO BELIEVE!

Afellay578.jpg

(edit: ^ Boateng took care of Ronaldo just fine, why should Afellay fare better against him?)

You got your standings wrong there. If Poland win and Russia lose then Greece would come second in the group as they would have 4 points.

And Russia was in a qualifying group with Germany for World Cup 2010 so there is some familiarity there.

Part1: you're right, but Russia would still advance on goal diff because that's more important than direct comparison, is it not?

Part2: true, but the 3 BVB Poles know some German players in and out.
/edit2
Also players like Polanski and Boenisch who can even speak German (as they are decedents of immigrants)

Nemo

Will Eat Your Children
Dutch players were running scared during most of the Denmark match, not taking chances and being optimal etc. Now that their lives are on it they'll definitely give a show at the very least.

zonezeus

Btw, does anyone by any chance has a gif or clip of Warsaw's skyline during sunset with National Stadium in the middle that they've shown during the match? It looked amazing.

(edit: ^ Boateng took care of Ronaldo just fine, why should Afellay fare better against him?)

Part1: you're right, but Russia would still advance on goal diff because that's more important than direct comparison, is it not?

Part2: true, but the 3 BVB Poles know some German players in and out.
/edit2
Also players like Polanski and Boenisch who can even speak German (as they are decedents of immigrants)

Head to head result is the first tiebreaker which in that scenario Greece would obviously win.

And if Russia loses to Greece then they don't deserve to make it out of the group anyway.

Envelope

sealed with a kiss
Dutch players were running scared during most of the Denmark match, not taking chances and being optimal etc. Now that their lives are on it they'll definitely give a show at the very least.

The much higher stakes of the second round should lead to some good games, Poland vs Russia was the best so far.

I don't see Holland getting out of this this group alive if I'm honest. Not because of a lack of quality, but their team selection. RVP should still start in my opinion.

Head to head result is the first tiebreaker which in that scenario Greece would obviously win.

And if Russia loses to Greece then they don't deserve to make it out of the group anyway.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/UEFA_Euro_2012#Group_stage
You're right. Isn't it different for WC or CL/EL or whatever?
I remember overall goal dif. being more important in some tournament. Or maybe I'm just confusing it with leagues..

The optimism here is just beautiful
Cute, ain't it? :)

Fry

I must say I'm afraid of Holland tomorrow. But their current side is full of bottlers, and their defense is always shaky.

fuenf

I'm only afraid that Robben will suddenly score again with his one trick, that would be the ultimate insult to injury, dont think i could take it.

n0n44m

if we indeed play with the new formation that's being speculated everywhere (v Bommel & Afellay out, Huntelaar & Kuyt in, Sneijder directing from the midfield and v Persie free to roam around Huntelaar) at least we'll play better (and more watchable) football, and we should be able to actually score this time.

if we play with the same formation like against Denmark (aka the let's-pretend-it's-still-2010 formation) I won't even care about the result anymore lol

CassSept

All's well that ends well. The draw turned the tables, especially as this is essentially a victory for us (think USA wins 1-1 2 years ago). We were doomed from the start, yet we caught up in the end.

Situation in the city center calmed down. With friends we hit the pubs soon after the match and everything was well, except for one brawl stirred by unhappy Russian fans, which was quickly dealt with. As we were coming back they were surrounded and dealt with.

While we heard some anti-Russian remarks on our way, they were in minority, no more than 4 times as we were moving through the city over the course of 2.5 hours. Warsaw is up and kicking, completely awake. Everybody is celebrating in the streets. Amazing atmosphere, incomparable.

I hope we prevail over the Czech just to see something like this again, only this time sans any xenophobic stuff. The feared match with Russia is behind us. We can only wait till Saturday. For now, we can only celebrate that we drew a match in which all odds were against us.

Weee!

Wilbur

Banned
All's well that ends well. The draw turned the tables, especially as this is essentially a victory for us (think USA wins 1-1 2 years ago). We were doomed from the start, yet we caught up in the end.

Situation in the city center calmed down. With friends we hit the pubs soon after the match and everything was well, except for one brawl stirred by unhappy Russian fans, which was quickly dealt with. As we were coming back they were surrounded and dealt with.

While we heard some anti-Russian remarks on our way, they were in minority, no more than 4 times as we were moving through the city over the course of 2.5 hours. Warsaw is up and kicking, completely awake. Everybody is celebrating in the streets. Amazing atmosphere, incomparable.

I hope we prevail over the Czech just to see something like this again, only this time sans any xenophobic stuff. The feared match with Russia is behind us. We can only wait till Saturday. For now, we can only celebrate that we drew a match in which all odds were against us.

Weee!

Love it. Really rooting for you guys.

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
If Mario Gomez is in the starting lineup, the dutch have a chance of beating Germany.

Fry

If Mario Gomez is in the starting lineup, the dutch have a chance of beating Germany.

That makes no sense. He's the striker who helps a lot in the defense. Guy gave Germany the winner and can't catch a break.

Guy scored over 40 goals last season and can't catch a break

Booya

Neo Member

Weee!

aw man, i wish i was there. i really hope we win saturday. This would mean a match against germany if we (yea i'm bi-lingual) win against the dutch and danmark right?

Alucard

Banned
Really proud of my Polish countrymen on the pitch today. They played an exciting brand of football, and the goal was spectacular. The curve on that ball was incredible!

Disappointed in the actions of drunk hooligans, but very happy with the Warsaw police's swift response. Canada could have used this kind of presence and pre-planning multiple times, such as during the G8 summit, and even during the Vancouver Stanley Cup riots.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom