• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Euro 2012 |OT2| of Spain celebrating victory with younger, mixed gender squad

Status
Not open for further replies.

rodvik

Marcotti sums up England vs Italy pretty well.

Not really. Italian sports journo writes negative piece about upcoming opponents. Doesnt really seem surprising.

"“That’s what they are like in England. Their emotional state flies from one extreme to the other.”"

racist.

Not really. Italian sports journo writes negative piece about upcoming opponents. Doesnt really seem surprising.

"“That’s what they are like in England. Their emotional state flies from one extreme to the other.”"

racist.

Better than De Laurentis expert comments I guess :

"The English live badly, eat badly and their women do not wash their genitalia." :lol

Acheteedo

“As usual, they are going through a pretty familiar sequence of events in England. They didn’t want Roy Hodgson, as everyone hoped for Harry Redknapp. They all expected a first round elimination, but now they’re through to the next round they are already talking about a semi-final against Germany, as if Italy were Luxembourg."

Don't know anyone who's given England the nod in the game vs Italy. English TV pundits included. I'm sure the Sun and the Mail are claiming how we'll thrash them, but everyone else is realistic about our chances, which are not terrible, but Italy are the favourites.

Even UK betting websites have them at even odds, which basically means Italy are favourites since British people will be betting heavily on England and the odds will be adjusted to counter that.

F#A#Oo

Banned
Don't know anyone who's given England the nod in the game vs Italy. English TV pundits included. I'm sure the Sun and the Mail are claiming how we'll thrash them, but everyone else is realistic about our chances, which are not terrible, but Italy are the favourites.

Bollocks...did you miss BBC's MotD lastnight after Engurlunds win? Where they talked already about semi-finals ALREADY and Alan Hansen outright said he thinks Italy has no chance of beating England. :D

or how about...http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/18512447

On ITV it was Roy Keane who had to lower expectations on the panel...ROY KEANE ffs... :D

rodvik

Bollocks...did you miss BBC's MotD lastnight after Engurlunds win? Where they talked already about semi-finals ALREADY and Alan Hansen outright said he thinks Italy has no chance of beating England. :D

On ITV it was Roy Keane who had to lower expectations on the panel...ROY KEANE ffs... :D

Why would a nations pundits to tell everyone their team is going to lose?
Why would marcotti would say Italy are going to get hammered or Alan Hansen says England will get destroyed?

They are being biased and patriotic. So what? If you want to see some real over the top stuff try reading the Spanish football media sometime. It makes England and Italy's press look like cool neutral observers.

Acheteedo

I did not see that, omg, two of them predict England to win on penalties, are they serious??

ESPN and ITV were a lot more realistic. As are the betting shops, and everyone here... right?

Wes

venison crêpe
This is why as soon as half time, full time blows I turn off the TV and listen to the radio. At least the insight there is actually "insightful" somewhat.

Wilbur

Banned
I did not see that, omg, two of them predict England to win on penalties, are they serious??

ESPN and ITV were a lot more realistic. As are the betting shops, and everyone here... right?

no we gon win 7-2 bcuz scottish hansen sed so

Seriously though, every country has biased media. The English are worse than others for their sensationalism, but fuck it, I ignore it

rodvik

This is why as soon as half time, full time blows I turn off the TV and listen to the radio. At least the insight there is actually "insightful" somewhat.

I check GAF. At least i can argue back if I hear something that makes me rage 8)

F#A#Oo

Banned
Why would a nations pundits to tell everyone their team is going to lose?
Why would marcotti would say Italy are going to get hammered or Alan Hansen says England will get destroyed?

They are being biased and patriotic. So what? If you want to see some real over the top stuff try reading the Spanish football media sometime. It makes England and Italy's press look like cool neutral observers.

I'm just responding to Acheteedo's post...and ofcourse you're right and it's totally natural.

feel

ka9u6cv43jpq.gif
I'm in love.

D

Deleted member 81567

Unconfirmed Member
Actually I'm changing my avatar to something better.

Haunted

Too bad some bad reffing on the last two days of the group stage soured things a bit. Everything was going so well until then...

That said, we have seven great teams in the QF so there's not much to complain about. England - Italy and France - Spain should be superb matches.

IceCold

hylje

England wins Italy : "We're rubbish but we'll take the cup anyway!"
England loses against Italy : "We're totally rubbish and everyone knew it all along!"

I'm off to midsummer celebrations to countryside. Be safe euro2012-GAF

kitch9

Banned

This bit especially...

I can remember when English media used to slaughter Italian teams for playing "catenaccio" in the champions league/world cup and then they end up using it for the national team, interesting to see how times have changed.

Uhm, you ask anyone in England how they are thinking and its not like that.... Most will dare to dream if they get through the quarters but until then, no, not so much.

We know our team can beat anyone on their day and they have, but they've never been able to produce consistent form in a tournament... After the world cup most here think getting to the quarters is a bonus. We have a new manager running a new setup which involves the players staying on their feet and working defensively as a pack.... The players are doing ok with it, but its far from being mastered yet.

Hansens Scottish, most Scots would love to see England get buried in the dirt...... I'm sure he just likes to spread the pundits curse everywhere.

kitch9

Banned
It was clearly over the line.

It was fucking offside. The reason the offside rule exists is because the game would be shit without it.... It would also make scoring much easier as strikers could get the run on the defence without worrying, which was the case with the Ukraine "ghost" goal as they were nearly a couple of yards offside which made scoring that goal much easier than it should have been.

Therefore can everyone STFU about it and accept nearly the correct decision was made apart from England were robbed of a free kick higher up the pitch.

Thanks.

D_Star

Neo Member
Imagine if England beat Italy, Germany & Spain on the way to the cup, winning each game 1-0 with 1 shot on target in each. It would be beautiful

Yes, but would that make winning the cup deserved? I'd rather see them dominate each game with passion, splitting passes, combined with clinical finishing. Just like what we see in the premiership every week.

Uhm, you ask anyone in England how they are thinking and its not like that.... Most will dare to dream if they get through the quarters but until then, no, not so much.

We know our team can beat anyone on their day and they have, but they've never been able to produce consistent form in a tournament... After the world cup most here think getting to the quarters is a bonus. We have a new manager running a new setup which involves the players staying on their feet and working defensively as a pack.... The players are doing ok with it, but its far from being mastered yet.

Rio? o_O

Yes, but would that make winning the cup deserved? I'd rather see them dominate each game with passion, splitting passes, combined with clinical finishing. Just like what we see in the premiership every week.

Of course it would be deserved, unless the officials are pretty much winning the games for us

kitch9

Banned

Unless the officials make a mistake or don't punish blatant cheating, there are no circumstances where the team who scores most goals in a football match does not deserve to win the game.

Otherwise what would be the point? we should just hand the game to whoever has the most possession and ignore the score.

elseanio

Missing the game tonight, gonna have to sky+ it. Hope the Czech's give Portugal a good game. Cech needs to improve his form from the group stages

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom