• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Euro 2012 |OT2| of Spain celebrating victory with younger, mixed gender squad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
Poor game, but Portugal deserved it. The second half was at least entertaining.

Time to get ready for Germany vs. Greece. Apparently tröllmeister Merkel is flying to cheer for 'schland. GIFs should be fun.

FootballFan

I imagine that was a very boring game even for Portugal and Czech supporters.

That corner at the end for the Czechs summed it up.

Germany - Greece I don't expect that to be much better either.

The other 2 semis though I'm very excited about.

bud

Nelson+Oliveira+of+Benfica+in+action+during+the+UEFA+Champions+League+Quarter+Final+second+leg+match+between+Chelsea+and+Benfica

Lets see how this one turns out. He is still young

if his performances the last couple of weeks are any indication, then i wouldn't count on him.

rodvik

I imagine that was a very boring game even for Portugal and Czech supporters.

That corner at the end for the Czechs summed it up.

Germany - Greece I don't expect that to be much better either.

The other 2 semis though I'm very excited about.

Agreed (prove me wrong Greece!)

Spain/France is the cracker game I am looking forward to. France simply cannot defend in depth so they will have to attack. Should be brilliant.

Fry

and with that goal, ronaldo wins ballon dor :p

Is the next Ballon Do'r going to include the EURO in their final evaluations?

If so, give it to Mario Gomez!

For real, I don't think Messi should win again. Give it to Ronaldo

pulga

Banned
Portugals greatest player of all time, and also one of the best players of all time.

edit

Don't start this Messi - Ronaldo thing again. I thought it was rigged and Messi will get the next 30 of them ?

Ronaldo could end up top scorer and champ with Portugal and they'll still give it to Messi.

IceCold

YEAAAHHHHH PORTUGAL!!

Also fuck Meireles. Dude has to stop trying to score a goal from far away. He keeps shooting it way above the bar.

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
Even without Villa, Spain's midfield is just too much. It's too good for other teams, only Germany comes close but it's not on the same level.

Iniesta, Xavi, Busquets, Xabi Alonso, Silva, Fabregas. Christ, some of the teams in this tournament would be glad to just have one of these in their team, Spain has them all.

Acheteedo

Highly entertaining match, watching Ronaldo makes me sad that our equivalent is Rooney. Portugal are a big threat in the semi's.

jtb

Banned
Even without Villa, Spain's midfield is just too much. It's too good for other teams, only Germany comes close but it's not on the same level.

Iniesta, Xavi, Busquets, Xabi Alonso, Silva, Fabregas. Christ, some of the teams in this tournament would be glad to just have one of these in their team, Spain has them all.

too many passers, not enough runners, way too narrow. Not saying Spain won't win, but it's hardly a certainty. to win against teams that clog the midfield, park the bus, etc. VDB will need natural strikers in the striker position, natural wingers in the wing positions, to stretch the play and give Xavi and Iniesta the space needed to slice open the opposition.

Germany's midfield is far more versatile. can win against just about anybody, any tactic. Germany's weakness is Gomez, imo.

Noirulus

Way too many creative mid-fielders, and both Alonso and Busquets can defend really well. Spain still has the best chance to go through IMO.

Portugal would be lucky to have some of your bench players as our starting mid-fielders. Spain has an immense amount of depth.

feel

Semis! Shit, still finding it hard to believe we made it this far!

Was starting to think we were gonna choke and lose it somewhat unfairly on penalties or something, Czech Republic was nowhere to be seen today, except for Petr Cech. Great goal by CR7.

edit-

sigh, Spain is too good and playing against them is an awful experience just because of their super-boring yet super-efective tactics. :(

Hoping for a win by France next Saturday, even though they would arrive to the Semi with insane confidence levels after kicking out Spain and would destroy us, at least it would be a more entertaining match.

Error

too many passers, not enough runners, way too narrow. Not saying Spain won't win, but it's hardly a certainty. to win against teams that clog the midfield, park the bus, etc. VDB will need natural strikers in the striker position, natural wingers in the wing positions, to stretch the play and give Xavi and Iniesta the space needed to slice open the opposition.

Germany's midfield is far more versatile. can win against just about anybody, any tactic. Germany's weakness is Gomez, imo.

but he has good wingers, and strikers.

navas-pedro on the wings, and llorente as the striker?

it's just that he keeps insisting on Torres, which baffles me.

my 11 for spain

---------------casillas------------------
-arbeloa--pique--ramos--jordi alba
-----------busquets-------------
-----xavi-----------iniesta---------
--navas---llorente------pedro---

possible subs: fabregas, silva and negredo

Oh yes, it is.

It's just different. We have many young players that need a few more years/matches, players like Iniesta, Silva or Fabregas have much more experience. But we have more different types of players. I don't see a Reus, Podolski or Schürrle type at Spain, that might help us.

jtb

Banned
but he has good wingers, and strikers.

navas-pedro on the wings, and llorente as the striker?

it's just that he keeps insisting on Torres, which baffles me.

I know, I'm saying he has to start them against teams bound to park the bus, or even Portugal - Pedro is out of form (I think...? Pep didn't use him much this season), Navas haven't started (though he's the closest thing Spain have to a true, natural winger - not a Nani/Ronaldo-type winger), Torres is inconsistent... and that's putting it kindly. They can get away with shoving six creative midfielders against France because they play the exact same style, just (if this tournament is to go by) are far worse at it, but against more versatile teams or ones that just don't want to play football - Spain will have trouble with being incisive and clinical because they are their own worst enemy.

Puyol isn't here to bail them out like he did in 2010.

tl;dr: this is all Torres' fault.

Error

Too bad Arbeloa offers zero width to the offense, he rarely joins the attack. Ramos was better in this aspect when he played as a RB.

Of course none can compare to Dani Alves at Barcelona.

if there's one thing that makes barcelona superior to this spanish team is that Barca knows how to stretch the pitch, the wingers and fullbacks provide width to Barcelona's offense which then provides open spaces for players like Messi/Xavi/Iniesta run riot. I don't see this often with Spain, probably the reason why their matches usually end up 1-0 or 0-1.

Pedro is out of form (I think...? Pep didn't use him much this season)
Pedro started getting in-form at the end of the season. He was scoring goals.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom