• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Euro 2012 |OT2| of Spain celebrating victory with younger, mixed gender squad

Status
Not open for further replies.
lol? you know it's true, dont tell me Klose's 3:1 was all skill. He squandered a lot of chances (even his "assist" before the Reus goal) and got lucky that the goalkeeper / defense made an error. But i'll give you that he's always good for a header.

Oh man, I know your defending Gomez because he's a Bayern player, but that's just ridiculous. Klose played well the way he always plays. Gomez played well the way he always "plays". Most of Germany or rather probably all except Bayern fans like Klose's play style more. Get over it.

Sylver

Banned
France got this: the last time Spain allowed more than 1 goal in a tournament was in 2006 World Cup when they lost to France 3-1. The last time they allowed more than one goal in Euro was when they lost to France 2-1 in 2000.

Of course, back then France had ZIDANE FACTOR, but that's neither here nor there.

yep the fact you said tournament :S, but as a spaniard I prefer to remember our last friendly match in Saint-Denis back in 2010.

fuenf

Oh man, I know your defending Gomez because he's a Bayern player, but that's just ridiculous. Klose played well the way he always plays. Gomez played well the way he always "plays". Most of Germany or rather probably all except Bayern fans like Klose's play style more. Get over it.

And you are just attacking Gomez because he's a Bayern player? I know that Gomez has his faults and that Klose could potentially be a better player. But yesterday he simply didnt show it. It's not like we are talking about Klose in his prime vs Gomez. We are talking about the 34 year old Klose who played yesterday and still doesnt seem fit (he was injured most of the year). It's not about liking a player, it's about winning.

All this play style talk is simply about your perception, if Klose loses a ball or doesnt score it's because "he's unlucky." If Gomez doesnt it's because he sucks. Doesnt make sense and tbh Lewandowski is better than either one of them!

And you are just attacking Gomez because he's a Bayern player? I know that Gomez has his faults and that Klose could potentially be a better player. But yesterday he simply didnt show it. It's not like we are talking about Klose in his prime vs Gomez. We are talking about the 34 year old Klose who played yesterday and still doesnt seem fit (he was injured most of the year). It's not about liking a player, it's about winning.

All this play style talk is simply about your perception, if Klose loses a ball or doesnt score it's because "he's unlucky." If Gomez doesnt it's because he sucks. Doesnt make sense and tbh Lewandowski is better than either one of them!

I think you're the only one who saw a bad Klose yesterday, seriously.

And this Klose at his peak is nonsense. When was he at his peak? During those 4 weeks at the WC 2010 after sitting on the bench a season? WC 2002? Klose's still got it, watch last years Germany - Holland match.

patapuf

i dislike gomez as much as the next guy but this past season and during this tournament he has proven that he is an exellent finisher - a skill that a lot of strikers seem to lack this tournament. With all the playmaking abilty of özil, reuss, schürle, khedira, müller and whoever a finisher seems more important than a few aditional passes.

fuenf

I think you're the only one who saw a bad Klose yesterday, seriously.

And this Klose at his peak is nonsense. When was he at his peak? During those 4 weeks at the WC 2010 after sitting on the bench a season? WC 2002? Klose's still got it, watch last years Germany - Holland match.

A fucking friendly against Netherlands are you kidding me? You cant compare friendlies with tournament play. I'm not saying that Klose is a bad player, i'm just saying that he didnt play any better than Gomez did (against better teams). Gomez was heavily criticised for his performance against Portugal, Klose runs 500m less against a worse team, loses just as many balls and suddenly he's the second coming of Jesus? I dont get it... peak Klose would be 2004-2008 Klose.

But this discussion wont lead us anywhere, so i'm out. You win, be happy!

A fucking friendly against Netherlands are you kidding me? You cant compare friendlies with tournament play. I'm not saying that Klose is a bad player, i'm just saying that he didnt play any better than Gomez did (against better teams). Gomez was heavily criticised for his performance against Portugal, Klose runs 500m less against a worse team, loses just as many balls and suddenly he's the second coming of Jesus?] I dont get it... peak Klose would be 2004-2008 Klose.

But this discussion wont lead us anywhere, so i'm out. You win, be happy!

Oh wow, you can't be serious with that one. Klose runs less against a team that defended 85 of 90 minutes than Gomez against a team that played football, too, surely that confirms that Gomez is better. Don't tell me Hummels had fewer one-on-ones against Greece, too, he must be worse than Mertesacker!!!

And Klose being past it is just a myth to me. Before his injury he was on the way for his second best season stat wise and pretty much carried Lazio.

fuenf

Oh wow, you can't be serious with that one. Klose runs less against a team that defended 85 of 90 minutes than Gomez against a team that played football, too, surely that confirms that Gomez is better.

Against Portugal everyone was like "Gomez sucks, Portugal defended the whole time and he's the wrong player against a strong defense." And now you are telling me that Portugal played football (which they started to do after the goal). And if you dont believe me just look at the game / statistic, compared to the group games every other player ran roughly the same distance. But the more agile Klose didnt. It's not whether Klose or Gomez is the better striker, it's about the different perception of exactly the same performance. It's ridiculous.

In the end who cares we won but like i said before whoever plays against Italy has to play much better than Klose did against Greece. I honestly dont care if it's Klose or Gomez but if you are satisfied with this performance i hope you enjoy crashing out in the semis once again.

Hackbert

i don´t care if Gomez or Klose plays. More important to me is to see Podolski being replaced by Reus. Müller/Schürrle rotation i´m unsure who is better for the team. I think this game showed what Özil can do with quick thinking wingers like Reus and Schürrle. Khedira also played great.

All for Klose, but I will give you that:
He played some sloppy passes, had several opportunities in which he decided for passing instead of finishing himself and didn't win as many 1v1 as the rest of the team (with the exception of Schürrle), yet one has to admit that there was a general lack of concentration in the 2nd half and lot of unforced errors and sloppy passes throughout the team.
Gomez did what he does best in the first two games, and he did it excellently.

But the game against Denmark showed glimpses of that other Mario Gomez we know from the Bundesliga. The one with lacking technical abilities who sometimes looks clumbsy and falls over his own set of legs. A lethargic Gomez who wastes precious seconds until he shots due to his technical inability to process the easiest passes. A Mario Gomez who, as soon as he gets the ball in the box, never takes his eyes of the ball to check his surrounding for better positioned players.

Don't get this the wrong way. Gomez is a stone-cold "Knipser", a killer in the box, but if your strategy is not setup to play crosses from the outside, because of strong but slow physical defenders a more mobile striker who creates spaces in the center and pulls the defensiv line apart is the better choice. And after this game I would put Klose again in the starting 11 especially if England proceeds to the semi-finals who ironically play almost an italian catenaccio. Klose can only get better from this game on, what we've seen from Gomez was already his highest quality of play in his career.

fuenf

DerZuhälter;39171715 said:
But the game against Denmark showed glimpses of that other Mario Gomez we know from the Bundesliga. The one with lacking technical abilities who sometimes looks clumbsy and falls over his own set of legs. A lethargic Gomez who wastes precious seconds until he shots due to his technical inability to process the easiest passes. A Mario Gomez who, as soon as he gets the ball in the box, never takes his eyes of the ball to check his surrounding for better positioned players.

I can agree with most of you post but that's streching it. Against Denmark Gomez had a typical Klose game: played good football but couldnt finish. ;) Micht've been his best performance of the tournament.

Anyway let's go Germany! I dont care who scores / plays.

F#A#Oo

Banned
DerZuhälter;39171715 said:
All for Klose, but I will give you that:
He played some sloppy passes, had several opportunities in which he decided for passing instead of finishing himself and didn't win as many 1v1 as the rest of the team (with the exception of Schürrle), yet one has to admit that there was a general lack of concentration in the 2nd half and lot of unforced errors and sloppy passes throughout the team.
Gomez did what he does best in the first two games, and he did it excellently.

Don't get this the wrong way. Gomez is a stone-cold "Knipser", a killer in the box, but if your strategy is not setup to play crosses from the outside, because of strong but slow physical defenders a more mobile striker who creates spaces in the center and pulls the defensiv line apart is the better choice. And after this game I would put Klose again in the starting 11 especially if England proceeds to the semi-finals who ironically play almost an italian catenaccio. Klose can only get better from this game on, what we've seen from Gomez was already his highest quality of play in his career.

Catenaccio died in the 70's...what you mean is Zona Mista... ;)

I can agree with most of you post but that's streching it.

This part wasn't about the Denmark game, it was about what we've seen and know about him from the Bundesliga, at least on his "unlucky" days. He only showed glimpses of that against Denmark.

Kinda unfortunate that yesterdays best combinations between Klose,Özil,Reus didn't create any goals. If Özil or Reus would have scored out of one of those your opinion on Klose would probably been higher. Because the actual goals (except of the last one created by Özils through pass) were created kind of randomly.

Still can't decide if I want to see Gomez against Italy. If Italy opts for 3-5-2 just as against Spain I would opt for him, against the more traditional 4-4-2 I would tend for Klose.

Klose is 101% better than Gomez, its also fun to watch klose play and run around, he's an all round complete player. Gomez lacks style and greatness his hair also pisses me off. lol

Wtf?! Gomez's hair is fucking boss.

tumblr_m6226wgzT31r9b6uzo2_400.jpg

Gambit

I'm sorry the Klose love in here is ridiculous.

To be honest, I had hoped for him as a starter before the tournament and still think he might be the better choice, but yesterday's game was NOT proof of that.

Had Gomez had a game like Klose did yesterday, we'd now say he was wasteful with his chances, sometimes had a bad first touch, and only scored because the keeper was rubbish.

But since it was Klose, it was brilliant.

The Gomez hate in Germany is really getting old.

The only possible explanation is envy for his awesome George McFly hairstyle.

norinrad

I really like Klose, much prefer him to Gomez whom I just cannot rate at all

I'm sorry the Klose love in here is ridiculous.

To be honest, I had hoped for him as a starter before the tournament and still think he might be the better choice, but yesterday's game was NOT proof of that.

Had Gomez had a game like Klose did yesterday, we'd now say he was wasteful with his chances, sometimes had a bad first touch, and only scored because the keeper was rubbish.

But since it was Klose, it was brilliant.

The Gomez hate in Germany is really getting old.

The only possible explanation is envy for his awesome George McFly hairstyle.

Klose is still better, Yesterday was just a testament of his greatness, the guy is that good, yeah the pitch was crap but his movements showed you whats to come if he starts against England[LOL] or Italy. Hopefully he gets to be in the starting line up

Arnie

Hope Torres bangs France off the face of the Earth tonight; fed up of the France national team and it's fans. They limped through the group with a poor imitation of Spanish style, except lacking all penetration. Benzema just shoots at every opportunity, Ribery' been the opposite of clinical, and Nasri's a dick head. In fact, I hope Menez plays ahead of Nasri; he impressed me when he played against Ukraine.

sneaky77

I don't get the hate for Gomez.. didn't he score all 3 german goals in the first 2 games? I didn't get what he was on the bench at the start yesterday.

He also scored a shitload of goals all season... so yeah, I don't get it.

jett

D-Member
I don't get the hate for Gomez.. didn't he score all 3 german goals in the first 2 games? I didn't get what he was on the bench at the start yesterday.

Because Low didn't want to risk him getting injured or a yellow card, same reason why several all other players din't start either.

Hieberrr

Reus was awesome but Klose played like crap (at least not better than Gomez). Germany played better because Özil and Reus were simply magnificient, Klose on the other hand lost a lot of balls, didnt convert his chances and lucked out with his goal. He ran for 8221m (500m less than Gomez against Portugal) and if you look at the time you'll see him standing in the "Gomez-spot" most of the time. Dont forget that the score was only 1:1 after 60 minutes- Germany didnt play any better than in the previous games, in fact if you factor in the defense you can even come to the conclusion that this was Germany's worst performance of the tournament. I dont care really care who plays as long as they win but this glorification of Klose is starting to get on my nerves and whoever plays against Italy needs to be way better than Klose was in this game.

Let's look at the facts about Greece: Greece easily had the worst goalkeeper of the Euros, they played like absolute crap and didnt deserve a spot in the quarterfinals (any team from Group B (even the Netherlands) would've beaten them). Germany toyed with them because they were utter garbage.

There's no denying that Klose missed a lot of chances, but I feel like we get a lot more of those chances when he is on the pitch. I'm not hating on Gomez. I like both of them, but I feel like sometimes, Klose is the.more obvious choice.

Visceir

I'm guessing Löw made those changes to throw off Greece' defence. Also, I don't get the hate for Klose from the last game as he probably did exactly what Löw told him to do, I'm guessing his main purpose was to wear out Greece's defence and the plan never was for him to score...again to throw off the opposing team's defence.

Most of the game Klose was heavily guarded by opposing team players, which gave more room for other germans to play their game.

spidye

lol at the gomez and klose talk. reminds me so much of the wii and hd consoles talk from the gaming side.

anyways, don't know if I root for my favourite south based country or for ribery?

Roronoa95

As a French, strange feeling here... I strlongy believe that we can win but my reason tells me that Spain will be all over us.

So scared, it's going to be tense.

EvaristeG

Banned
The line-up tonight for France:
Lloris-Clichy Koscielny Rami Réveillère - M'Vila Cabaye Malouda Ribéry Debuchy - Benzema

It's gonna be more defensive than usual. Meh. I hope we'll go through. I think that the impact of Diarra would have been useful against Spain even if he's not that good, but we'll see.

@IceCold: lol

Wilbur

Banned
Lloris-Clichy Koscielny Rami Réveillère - M'Vila Cabaye Malouda Ribéry Debuchy - Benzema

It's gonna be more defensive than usual. Meh. I hope we'll go through. I think that the impact of Diarra would have been useful against Spain even if he's not that good, but we'll see.

Confirmed? Having Malouda instead of Diarra is silly.

Source please? Did Blanc really drop Nasri? If what I read about him was true, then good.

So today I read this article from goal.com:
smh. Sport "journalism" is a joke.

Are you sure it's the same incident?

I didn't see no coach Paulo Bento separating the players, and there was yelling only form one of the two players (the one that got tackled).

"The two players went on to hurl verbal abuse at each other amidst a lot of pushing, and had to be torn apart by coach Paulo Bento."

Talk about blowing shit way out of proportion in that sentence.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom