• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Euro 2012 |OT2| of Spain celebrating victory with younger, mixed gender squad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fritz

Nothing is set in stone this tournament. first 15 minutes were amazing but nothing came out of it. Löw has to mix things up if only to keep the competitive spirit within the team up.

Just re-watched the Spain v Germany highlights from 2010. Wasn't even close; Spain utterly dominated; the statistics from the game further support that. Would it be wrong to expect any different if they met again in this tournament?

Wilbur

Banned
Just re-watched the Spain v Germany highlights from 2010. Wasn't even close; Spain utterly dominated; the statistics from the game further support that. Would it be wrong to expect any different if they met again in this tournament?

Yep. Germans are better than they were, Spain aren't as good as they were. I think they verge on parodying themselves sometimes. There was a moment against Italy when Silva was free of the last defender and all he had to do was turn and shoot and it would had to have forced Buffon into an incredibly quick reflex save or go in, but he turned on himself and passed back. Their carelessness also almost cost them against Croatia.

I think France will beat them.

Yep. Germans are better than they were, Spain aren't as good as they were. I think they verge on parodying themselves sometimes. There was a moment against Italy when Silva was free of the last defender and all he had to do was turn and shoot and it would had to have forced Buffon into an incredibly quick reflex save or go in, but he turned on himself and passed back. Their carelessness also almost cost them against Croatia.

France have an even more gluttonous possession to goals ratio than Spain do.

Please be joking.

They are weaker in the sense of that they are without a younger Puyol and Villa up front, but their strength has never been in their defence or in the form of a mercurial striker; it has been in their possession play and territorial control. I don't believe them to be less threatening outside the box (or, in simple terms, less effective in creating chances), so really to what extent can we measure this 'weakness' you speak of?

The inherent problem the Spanish face, and what was demonstrated in their last game against the Germans, was transforming their chances created to goals; because of the way oppositions set up against the Spanish, I can't see them ever beating a Germany, for example, by a scoreline that would reflect their territorial control. They will create chances, but the Germans will do as well - although arguably to a lesser extent.

If we look back to South Africa, the Germans began the tournament with an impressive performance against (although a lowly) Australia. I recall pundits and commentators being so taken by the quality of football they played. And despite losing against Serbia next, they again reproduced some fantastic football against England and then dismantled Argentina. But in each of those performances, they had the ball - something they did not have against Spain when they lost, and something certain to be repeated again in any meeting.

There isn't any doubt Germany have improved, but have they improved to the extent they can now do what no one else can? [Keep the ball against Spain] That was something Low bemoaned after their defeat against them. Ultimately it doesn't matter how good you are with the ball if you won't have much of the ball.

That's not to say Spain are invincible, I think they are very much beatable. For example, if France take the lead tomorrow then I can't see the Spanish scoring two by breaking through two banks of four outside the French penalty box.

Wilbur

Banned
They are weaker in the sense of that they are without a younger Puyol and Villa up front, but their strength has never been in their defence or in the form of a mercurial striker; it has been in their possession play and territorial control. I don't believe them to be less threatening outside the box (or, in simple terms, less effective in creating chances), so really to what extent can we measure this 'weakness' you speak of?

The thing is that despite all their possession, those two players are exactly the types that really make a difference; in a team full of 10 passers, missing an aggressive leader who is good at set pieces, and a world class striker are big big misses. The weakness for me is that a team as good as Germany - better than a work in progress Italy, a dire Ireland and a strong (but not strong enough) Croatia - are more likely capitalise on mistakes and be able to take whatever chances that come their way.

If we look back to South Africa, the Germans began the tournament with an impressive performance against (although a lowly) Australia. I recall pundits and commentators being so taken by the quality of football they played. And despite losing against Serbia next, they again reproduced some fantastic football against England and then dismantled Argentina. But in each of those performances, they had the ball - something they did not have against Spain when they lost, and something certain to be repeated again in any meeting.

There isn't any doubt Germany have improved, but have they improved to the extent they can now do what no one else can? [Keep the ball against Spain] That was something Low bemoaned after their defeat against them. Ultimately it doesn't matter how good you are with the ball if you won't have much of the ball.

They're probably the best counter attacking national side in the world; if any team can damage Spain despite their monopoly of the ball its Germany. They've improved as a team unit, they're more cohesive in their transition from defence to attack, and they're unimaginably quick.

Reuenthal

Banned
I have watched only one match of this France team, their victory against Ukraine, but they lost against Sweden. How is their team? Can they beat Spain? I mean they are obviously a strong side, showed some positive qualities in the match I have seen them but I can't judge only from that.

I have watched only one match of this France team, their victory against Ukraine, but they lost against Sweden. How is their team? Can they beat Spain? I mean they are obviously a strong side, showed some positive qualities in the match I have seen them but I can't judge only from that.

They haven't impressed IMO. I think people expected a bit more from them

rodvik

They can win. Pound for pound they have very good players and they can g right at Spain the way Italy did, they will not bunker imho. I would still tip Spain as favourites obviously but imho its only 60/40.

It has the potential to be a great game.

lush

Why seven nation army post goal? I don't like it. Might as well play some dumb shit like sandstorm(i love the shit out of this song) or zombie nation.

poisonelf

The score of this game should have been 15-0. Incredible outclassing. I don't even watch football, pretty much ever, and I admit I was hoping for some sour Merkel faces, but it was pretty obvious.

I'm mostly disappointed with the way our players seemed to have no passion in this, exactly the opposite of how they played with Russia. Just existing for the sake of it in there. Other than Papastathopoulos who I wanted to slap with his ridiculous antics, have some dignity man. He looked to me like a failed Karagounis wannabe.

So now, go Portugal!

Hieberrr

Reus in all day long if he continues plays like this.

Also, I find that with Klose, there's a lot more motion in the midfield and near the box, because he tends to move around a lot.

But man, oh man, what a great game!!!!!

Edit: TorontoGaf, I found out, thanks yo a fellow German who I randomly met on the street, that there I'd a German pub near King and Fraser. Check it out! It's so awesome to be in a pub full of German supporters :D

I'd also like to add that the pitch was terrible :S

Fry

ibuKwozUwICs78.gif

I'll post more tomorrow.

Booya

Neo Member
Euro 2012 |OT2| of Reus Ex Machina

What a game. Every second person we encountered in the city all night was wearing schland colours, celebrating and havin' a good time.
I really hope England wins today, I'm scared to play Italy in the semis.

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
whoaaaaaaaaaaaa stop the presses

VDB might play without a double pivot!? He finally saw the light!?!??!!?

fuenf

Reus in all day long if he continues plays like this.

Also, I find that with Klose, there's a lot more motion in the midfield and near the box, because he tends to move around a lot.

But man, oh man, what a great game!!!!!

Reus was awesome but Klose played like crap (at least not better than Gomez). Germany played better because Özil and Reus were simply magnificient, Klose on the other hand lost a lot of balls, didnt convert his chances and lucked out with his goal. He ran for 8221m (500m less than Gomez against Portugal) and if you look at the time you'll see him standing in the "Gomez-spot" most of the time. Dont forget that the score was only 1:1 after 60 minutes- Germany didnt play any better than in the previous games, in fact if you factor in the defense you can even come to the conclusion that this was Germany's worst performance of the tournament. I dont care really care who plays as long as they win but this glorification of Klose is starting to get on my nerves and whoever plays against Italy needs to be way better than Klose was in this game.

Let's look at the facts about Greece: Greece easily had the worst goalkeeper of the Euros, they played like absolute crap and didnt deserve a spot in the quarterfinals (any team from Group B (even the Netherlands) would've beaten them). Germany toyed with them because they were utter garbage.

CassSept

The fuck? They started Piotr Trochowski in that game. They weren't better than Spain. Not by a long shot.

Yeah, that single game was what made a difference. I'd agree more or less with Meus to be fair.

I meant overall. In Germany-Spain they were completely overshadowed, but apart from that game I'd still say they played better football than Spain 2 years ago.

The problem is, we haven't seen yet what Spain is capable of. They take time to really get going, and today's match may really be the one to decide the Champion.

Reus was awesome but Klose played like crap (at least not better than Gomez). Germany played better because Özil and Reus were simply magnificient, Klose on the other hand lost a lot of balls, didnt convert his chances and lucked out with his goal. He ran for 8221m (500m less than Gomez against Portugal) and if you look at the time you'll see him standing in the "Gomez-spot" most of the time. Dont forget that the score was only 1:1 after 60 minutes- Germany didnt play any better than in the previous games, in fact if you factor in the defense you can even come to the conclusion that this was Germany's worst performance of the tournament. I dont care really care who plays as long as they win but this glorification of Klose is starting to get on my nerves and whoever plays against Italy needs to be way better than Klose was in this game.
lol at the bolded

German attack was definately better than in the previous matches. Sure, it was Greece but I don't think Denmark or Holland's defense was that much better.

fuenf

lol at the bolded

German attack was definately better than in the previous matches. Sure, it was Greece but I don't think Denmark or Holland's defense was that much better.

lol? you know it's true, dont tell me Klose's 3:1 was all skill. He squandered a lot of chances (even his "assist" before the Reus goal) and got lucky that the goalkeeper / defense made an error. But i'll give you that he's always good for a header.

Denmarks defense was far better, they had a competent goalkeeper and an actual tactical plan. They marked Özil with an extra defender and essentially took him out of the game, Greece did not and it showed. You cant really compare the Netherlands with Greece (attacking vs defending team, Germany had to respect the constant attacking threat etc).

Hackbert

ah what a night. peaceful public viewing events are still the best ^^. After game Shisha bar was also awesome. packed with fans. whatever happens now, we still have two german games to enjoy ^^. time for some Formula One..

John Dunbar

correct about everything
France got this: the last time Spain allowed more than 1 goal in a tournament was in 2006 World Cup when they lost to France 3-1. The last time they allowed more than one goal in Euro was when they lost to France 2-1 in 2000.

Of course, back then France had ZIDANE FACTOR, but that's neither here nor there.

fuenf

whatever happens now, we still have two german games to enjoy ^^. time for some Formula One..

only if they win, there's no 3rd place game at the Euros.

France got this: the last time Spain allowed more than 1 goal in a tournament was in 2006 World Cup when they lost to France 3-1. The last time they allowed more than one goal in Euro was when they lost to France 2-1 in 2000.

Of course, back then France had ZIDANE FACTOR, but that's neither here nor there.

There's still Ribery!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom