• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Euro 2012 |OT2| of Spain celebrating victory with younger, mixed gender squad

Status
Not open for further replies.

IceCold

Ronaldo is now the 3rd highest scorer in Euro's with 6 goals. Platini is top with 9 and Shearer second on 7.

He's scored at 5 major tournaments and since October 2010 (start of qualifying) he has 10 goals in competitive internationals, more than anybody else in the world (Gomez - 9, Van Persie 7).

That's a pretty good record. Didn't think Ronaldo was doing as well as that for Portugal.

I feel like that's kinda low. Aren't the number of goals scored by the highest scorers in the WC much higher?

bjaelke

I feel like that's kinda low. Aren't the number of goals scored by the highest scorers in the WC must higher?

The World Cup has the round of 16, which means another game to score in - if you make it out of the group stage. Futhermore, the competition early on is usually a mixed bag of big and small teams in comparison to the EURO.

Ronaldo is now the 3rd highest scorer in Euro's with 6 goals. Platini is top with 9 and Shearer second on 7.

He's scored at 5 major tournaments and since October 2010 (start of qualifying) he has 10 goals in competitive internationals, more than anybody else in the world (Gomez - 9, Van Persie 7).

That's a pretty good record. Didn't think Ronaldo was doing as well as that for Portugal.

I think your stats are a bit off. There are 6 players who scored 6 goals in Euro and of them only Nuno Gomes had more apperences on the pitch to achieve this. So technically Ronaldo is on position 7 of the all time list.

Also Huntelaar scored 12 goals in quali and Klose also has 9.

The World Cup has the round of 16, which means another game to score in - if you make it out of the group stage. Futhermore, the competition early on is usually a mixed bag of big and small teams in comparison to the EURO.

And the Euros used to have even less teams in the past, 4 untill 1976 and 8 until 1992.

Verano

Reads Ace as Lace. May God have mercy on their soul
Nah. I think FIFA only does that when it's violent behaviour. Like if a player headbutts another player and no one noticed or if a player shouts slurs etc. There has been a lot of shady officiating throughout the years and usually FIFA won't do much if goes according to keikaku. The South-Korea vs Italy game in 2002 comes to mind.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ddUKHMLAckE

I remember this goddamn match as clear as day. Such bad officiating from the ref Byron Moreno. fuckin cunt. Korea should've been eliminated by italy. I was sad to see the azurri lose in such controversial fashion.

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
gjM7i.jpg

That's some God of War shit.

rawd

Oh shit, I wasn't aware of that. Well, considering the Euro will be expanded to 24 teams all these records will be destroyed in the future.

And there are 50 European countries (according to Wiki).

Why bother even having qualifiers. Just draw straws.

Go Vatican City

Q

Queen of Hunting

Unconfirmed Member
Englands next game is actually against italy in a friendly on august 15tth lol

TeegsD

My boss is letting me go into work an hour early so that I can leave by 2:30. Should be home by the time that the first team kicks off

Big-E

Whereas claiming the officials were bribed to allow one of the two host nations to progress 'quite' far in the world cup is a perfectly rational explanation to what happened?

Virtually the whole football world agrees Spain and Italy got the shaft so you saying shit like Totti dove just makes your view point laughable.

EDIT: You also forget that the official in the Italy game actually was caught for fixing matches more than once after and is in jail for drug trafficking so someone claiming the ref was bribed is actually a possibility.

gurasa

Whereas claiming the officials were bribed to allow one of the two host nations to progress 'quite' far in the world cup is a perfectly rational explanation to what happened?
Forget about S. Korea WC performance, bribes, etc. That's not the point here.

Watch this video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ddUKHMLAckE

Don't you think that's blatantly horrible refereeing? If no, you either don't understand football or blind.

If you agree that that's terrible officiating then don't you think such practice can potentially cause your team to lose a match? We're talking about legitimate goals not given, hilarious offside calls, reckless and judo challenges not being called as fouls, let alone being carded.

Give me a whistle and gather your friends for a footy game. By using my whistle unjustly, I can make it impossible for your side to win. That's exactly what that heroin smuggler did back in 2002. Who cares if the refs had been bribed or not, the point here is that Italy and Spain were robbed due to very unfair refereeing and those two games don't belong to football.

leroidys

Forget about S. Korea WC performance, bribes, etc. That's not the point here.

Watch this video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ddUKHMLAckE

Don't you think that's blatantly horrible refereeing? If no, you either don't understand football or blind.

If you agree that that's terrible officiating then don't you think such practice can potentially cause your team to lose a match? We're talking about legitimate goals not given, hilarious offside calls, reckless and judo challenges not being called as fouls, let alone being carded.

Give me a whistle and gather your friends for a footy game. By using my whistle unjustly, I can make it impossible for your side to win. That's exactly what that heroin smuggler did back in 2002. Who cares if the refs had been bribed or not, the point here is that Italy and Spain were robbed due to very unfair refereeing and those two games don't belong to football.

I'm not singling you out as I don't know anything about your post history, but it's funny how this is unanimous amongst Italy fans, when many of them told US supporters "lol thats just football suck it up" when we were whining about the horrible refereeing against the US in WC 2010.

Pezking

I'm not singling you out as I don't know anything about your post history, but it's funny how this is unanimous amongst Italy fans, when many of them told US supporters "lol thats just football suck it up" when we were whining about the horrible refereeing against the US in WC 2010.

I'm from Germany, so I wouldn't normally feel the need to jump to Italy's help.
Especially right now, before tomorrow's game.

That being said, Italy vs. South Korea in 2002 is by far the worst officiated match I have ever seen. It was a disgrace.

One of the best things about the Euro is having only referees with Champions League experience around. Yes, they still make mistakes, but it's infinitely better than putting completely overchallenged refs from every obscure corner of the world in charge of important matches.

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
Apparently van Marwijk himself leaked the list of players no longer to be called up to the Dutch nation team to the press. :lol

neat. do you have a link?

also, I got tickets for spiderman tonight, without thinking about football schedules.

now I'm screwed either way. out 20 bucks if I stay and watch the match, but then spain will probably screw me with a clinical borefest and a 1-0 victory.....

bjaelke

also, I got tickets for spiderman tonight, without thinking about football schedules.

now I'm screwed either way. out 20 bucks if I stay and watch the match, but then spain will probably screw me with a clinical borefest and a 1-0 victory.....

Just record the game and watch it when you get home. Avoid gaf in the mean time - Kabouter's titles will give it away.

The_Joker

and that's why i looked at the calender before i was about to buy the tickets :D

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
I'm from Germany, so I wouldn't normally feel the need to jump to Italy's help.
Especially right now, before tomorrow's game.

That being said, Italy vs. South Korea in 2002 is by far the worst officiated match I have ever seen. It was a disgrace.

One of the best things about the Euro is having only referees with Champions League experience around. Yes, they still make mistakes, but it's infinitely better than putting completely overchallenged refs from every obscure corner of the world in charge of important matches.

I think South America has the best referees to be honest.

and the whole spray thing for FKs is genius, I don't know why UEFA hasn't copy that yet.

Magni

So should I be for Spain or Portugal? I'm hoping for Germany to win anyways, so I don't really care about this game.. Hmm, Spain losing and Ronaldo and Pepe playing like shit (heck, getting sent off) would be the best case scenario. And Busquets too, fuck him. I want another game with 16 yellows and 4 reds haha

Arjen

Hardest decision ever who to root for.
But i made up my mind, i'm so bored with Spain i'm rooting for Portugal to win this.
But i really, really hope this doesn't turn in to another snooze fest.

RJT

But i made up my mind, i'm so bored with Spain i'm rooting for Portugal to win this.

We appreciate the love. Netherlands is my favorite team ever since Overmars kicked ass in Sensible Soccer, I'd be supporting it had you guys beaten us in the group phase.

Divius

I'm totally neutral. Just hoping for a fun match and that Portugal doesn't get themselves locked in at the penaltybox by the tika tika of Spain.

CassSept

I guess I'll be rooting for Portugal today and Italy tomorrow.

C. Ronaldo deserves some love for how amazing he is, maybe putting his team into Euro final will finally net him some awards.

Hackbert

these pictures look so wrong.. the buckets of popcorn are clearly missing ^^.

Ah yeah prediction time. bring it Portugal. rooting for you tonight. (2:1).. Italy will be done with 3:0... believe ^^

Same for me. I rather have Portugal win, so Germany can win the final.

(sorry Portugal bro's)

Gambit

Bierhoff looks creepy as fuck in that picture!
h2Ovw.gif

He looks like their "bachelor" uncle.

I see, Schürrle and Reus are bros. I guess we must buy Schürrle now.

Götze - Reus - Schürrle

would be nice :D

Appearantly they are. I read an interview with Reus where he said as much. Schürrle even visited Reus in Gladbach to hang out.

Asked who else Reus would want Dortmund to buy he said "toni". It seems Kroos is friendly with them as well.

There's no going Dutch with our youngsters.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom