• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

European Council President says Trump poses threat to Europe

Status
Not open for further replies.

trembli0s

I'm not talking about multinationals doing business at both sides of the ocean* nor individuals. I'm talking about diplomacy and governance. The potential American envoy to the EU is openly hostile towards the EU and wishes to break it down. This is a fact. An unprecedented one. The WH's chief strategist also has the same aims.

America and the EU won't become warring actors, but they won't remain in friendly terms. Barring some surprising events, there's going to be mutual distrust from now on. At best, our relationship is going to go from close and friendly to neutral and seeded with wariness.

*this may also change depending on economic policies.

Doesn't a US retrenchment implicitly weaken the hold of EU institutions though in the long run?

Right now, the US essentially subsidizes European defense costs against other international actors like Russia and arguably China if they continue to saber rattle and begin to exert economic pressure against the EU.

The new paradigm of realpolitik is going to require Europe to step up its acquisition of military hard power in order to be taken seriously. Those funds are going to have be shifted either from national budgets to an EU army--which poses its own set of difficult questions to EU members-- or from social program budgets which IMO will exacerbate the populist question in Europe.

mnz

Unconfirmed Member
This is the best bit and can't be stressed enough
“The disintegration of the European Union will not lead to the restoration of some mythical, full sovereignty of its member states, but to their real and factual dependence on the great superpowers: the United States, Russia and China.”

The new paradigm of realpolitik is going to require Europe to step up its acquisition of military hard power in order to be taken seriously. Those funds are going to have be shifted either from national budgets to an EU army--which poses its own set of difficult questions to EU members-- or from social program budgets which IMO will exacerbate the populist question in Europe.

I doubt this will happen, or better, I hope it doesn't, but one can always use US style "jobs programs" to deal with this. By this I mean, investment in military capabilities, development of new military tech, military service as an alternative to unemployment...

I'm not talking about multinationals doing business at both sides of the ocean* nor individuals. I'm talking about diplomacy and governance. The potential American envoy to the EU is openly hostile towards the EU and wishes to break it down. This is a fact. An unprecedented one. The WH's chief strategist also has the same aims.

America and the EU won't become warring actors, but they won't remain in friendly terms. Barring some surprising events, there's going to be mutual distrust from now on. At best, our relationship is going to go from close and friendly to neutral and seeded with wariness.

*this may also change depending on economic policies.

Ah fair enough. I took "the transatlantic friendship" to be more all-encompassing than you intended. Can't really disagree with anything you've written there.

o5CZxUg.jpg

Alone in the dark (well, with UK and Russia while it lasts).

They wiped out Alaska!!

Lego Boss

Tusk? Isn't that something elephants have and is sold for maximum profit in capitalist economies? Stop crying at you losing your ivory decorations!

Fake news! Sad!

Zips

The EU council president is very correct. Trump for his part has already been poking at the Brexit sorespot and through his diplomats spreading doubts about the EU's continued survival.

People claiming that Trump was elected by only about a quarter of the total U.S. population ignore that if you had forced everyone to vote, a large chunk of those who hadn't would have still voted for Trump. Overall he likely would have lost, but the margins were close enough that a significant portion of those non-voters would have supported him as well.

EMT0

Banned
I'm surprised the Chinese actually made the list; I figured the EU and China would find themselves on a similar political axis atm in being vehemently anti-Trump.

tuxfool

Banned
I'm surprised the Chinese actually made the list; I figured the EU and China would find themselves on a similar political axis atm in being vehemently anti-Trump.

This isn't about being anti-trump, but instead about being true to their values. Necessity could demand it, but one shouldn't ignore the fact that China is no bastion of liberty.

Nerazar

Nope, every superpower would love to see the EU destroyed. It's way easier to trade with uncoordinated countries separately than with every country united. The deals tend to get a lot better if you bargain collectively.

Nokterian

Surprising they only see it NOW..fuck me i saw this coming the moment he announced his candidacy, fuck he was all ready terrible to begin with.

Ac30

Nope, every superpower would love to see the EU destroyed. It's way easier to trade with uncoordinated countries separately than with every country united. The deals tend to get a lot better if you bargain collectively.

Yep, as the U.K. will soon find out. Can't believe May went along with this idiocy.

China has been very aggressive at taking advantage of the 2008 crash, swooping in like vultures buying lots of state owned corporations, electricity plants, factories, real estate.

China doesn't care about anything but money. They are profiting on the global economic downturn buying everything all over the world

Shoeless

Agreed. I have more frustration for those who chose not to vote, to be honest. Fuck your apathy.

I tend to agree with this. People who voted are at least exercising a privilege that some other far less fortunate countries lack. To decide you can't be bothered to even decide who you want to lead your country, and then act horrified and betrayed later when it ends up being someone you don't want, when you and millions of other people could have prevented it is black comedy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom