• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Eurovision Song Contest 2017 |OT| Slovenia: "On My Way - to the lowest score"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Before seeing the final performances tomorrow evening and on Thursday, here's who I think who will go through. Borderliners are ones that might or might not qualify.

Semi 1
Guaranteed qualifiers: Sweden, Azerbaijan, Portugal, Greece, Poland, Moldova, Armenia
Borderliners: Australia, Belgium, Finland, Iceland, Latvia (out of those, personally I think Finland, Latvia and Australia have the best shot)
Definitely not going through: Georgia, Albania, Montenegro, Czech Rep., Cyprus, Slovenia

Well I was completely wrong on Cyprus, but at least I got most of em right.

jts

...hate me...
YES PORTUGAL I ALWAYS BELIEVED

I am joking but I'm glad it's doing well

Finland :(

oti

Banned
Some guy on the German stream saying Greece and Cyprus helped each other to reach the final.

FAKE NEWS

whoszed

This year the overall quality seems to be fairly awful. Especially now that Iceland and Finland are out. Hopefully 2nd semi is an improvement.

azyless

You will be remembered in my heart Braid Guy
image.gif

Armenia will win and should win the first semi.

Top 10 in Semi 1 (not ranked):
Sweden
Australia
Belgium
Finland
Azerbaijan
Portugal
Greece
Poland
Moldova
Armenia

9 of 10, I had hoped that the jury would nuke Cyprus but DAMN do they love Thomas G:Son even when he writes garbage music. I guess the consolation is that Cyprus is an easy bottom 10 pick and if Demy repeats this mess she'll barely crack the left side of the board at best.

Sucks about Finland, it definitely deserved a wider audience compared to several of the ones that made it. Also Iceland. The Nordic Bloc is a lie!

oti

Banned
My predictions from the pre-season thread over a month ago.

Sweden - #neverforget #neverforgive, YES
Georgia - NO
Australia - boring, YES
Albania - NO
Belgium - YES
Montenegro - bless your soul, NO
Finland - ZzZzZzZ, NO
Azerbaijan - YES
Portugal - ZZZZZZzzzz, MAYBE?
Greece - YES
Poland - I think it's lame, YES
Moldova - trashy, YES
Iceland - NO
Czech Republic - it's "nice", MAYBE?
Cyprus - generic, but kind of unique generic this year, YES
Armenia - YES
Slovenia - Slovenia should get disqualified for this, NO
Latvia - so confused, NO

I'm always right.

Well yeah, of course. But that wasn't enough to reach the final, surely.

Anyway, I'm here for all the salt.

I'm pretty sure Armenia and its diaspora moved Cyprus a lot as well, since the singer is Armenian.
This must've been the 10th placed entry.

I guess people get really bored waiting for the results lol

Nah they're just weirdos.
I do love that "Oh no, who would've guessed I would make the finals?!" look on Salvador's face when he was announced as finalist lol.

This was a really solid semi with good songs and decent performances all-around, hope the second semi keeps it up! I'm especially excited to hear Aminata's new song!

This was a really solid semi with good songs and decent performances all-around, hope the second semi keeps it up! I'm especially excited to hear Aminata's new song!

Wait is she scheduled to do something in Semi 2?

I know she's presenting the jury vote for Latvia during the Grand Final, but the song she wrote for Lithuanian artist Aistė Pilvelytė lost that country's national final to a much, much, much, much worse song. It was OK.

Anyone know if any of the country sites have it available for restream? Was at work and Eurovision of course blocks US now cause of whatever 5th rate cable channel paid for the final rights

Edit: Nevermind pulled it from SVT

Apzu

It would be nice to see Portugal winning for the first time, but I still think Italy has a better chance since their song is catchier. That might change on saturday though, as Portugal's entry gets more momentum.

The true legacy of Ukraine winning last year is all these shit slow ass ballads that have almost no life to them. I'm going in blind this year, someone please tell me that the 2nd Semi-Final will be better.

The true legacy of Ukraine winning last year is all these shit slow ass ballads that have almost no life to them. I'm going in blind this year, someone please tell me that the 2nd Semi-Final will be better.

SF2 will definitely have a bit more life but worse songs overall imo. A few very fun Eurovision-y ones though so keep an eye out.

Wait is she scheduled to do something in Semi 2?

I know she's presenting the jury vote for Latvia during the Grand Final, but the song she wrote for Lithuanian artist Aistė Pilvelytė lost that country's national final to a much, much, much, much worse song. It was OK.
It did?! I thought I had read that it was selected. Damn, I'm so disappointed now then :( I'll just check it out on YouTube.

Edit: The singer who performed "I'm Like A Wolf" was plain awful, no wonder it didn't qualify..

My wife tells me Australia's entry was off key and bad. Sorry y'all.

It was, I have no idea how it made it into the final when there was entries like Finland who definitely deserved it more. I think Australia has to be on the lower end of the semi qualifiers, 9th or 10th (along with Cyprus). Towards the end there was a high note that he missed and made sound like someone stepped on the tail of a cat.

Finland probably is 11th and I imagine they're just a few points off from beating 10th too.

Semi 2 has more fast-paced stuff, but is overall weaker. Then again, this semi had a lot of super weak vocal performances, I'm genuinely disappointed and semi 2 might be better just on that front.

taybul

Oh man that title. My wife is Slovenian lol. I watched the Slovenian finals and "On My Way" definitely wasn't my favorite. Not even top 5. Raiven was robbed!

RocknRola

Soooo......................Salvador is apparently now topping the bets to win this whole thing. Granted, we have yet to see what we'll get from this second semi-final but I did not expect this, at all.

There's nothing in semi 2 that has a shot at winning, real talk. Bulgaria's probably gonna crack the top 5 again, but that's the only potential high performer coming out of semi 2, and I don't think it's strong enough to win, despite the Russian diaspora.

Also, I added the live performances of the 3 autoqualifiers that voted in semi 1 (UK, Spain and Italy) to the OP.

Oh man that title. My wife is Slovenian lol.

I'm glad you like it. :D

Joni

Looks like Belgium and Sweden are topping song downloads and streams.

Soooo......................Salvador is apparently now topping the bets to win this whole thing. Granted, we have yet to see what we'll get from this second semi-final but I did not expect this, at all.
He had the most remarkable song. Original setup, his faces, his backstory and not singing in English.

DrM

Redmond's Baby
A lot of musicians are showing respect to our ppor singer, how well he performed and how he got robbed

How about no :D

A lot of musicians are showing respect to our ppor singer, how well he performed and how he got robbed

How about no :D

it was the damn jury in Evrovizijska Melodija, I think they just liked him because he's a veteran and his dumb story about "I wrote this years ago and waited to release it because it's such a special song". 3 of the 4 jurors gave him a perfect score and one gave him 10 points, it's crazy.

I hated the BQL song (and I know how you feel about Aleš Vovk) but they got almost three times as many televotes as Omar. I feel like them, Nika Zorjan or maybe Raiven could have gotten to the finals.

imo the slovenes fucked up in 2016 :( :( :( :( #justice4Raiven

Kinan

Oh man that title. My wife is Slovenian lol. I watched the Slovenian finals and "On My Way" definitely wasn't my favorite. Not even top 5. Raiven was robbed!

It was kinda the same for me for Ukrainian finals. "Time" is generic to the max, there were much more "eurovisiony" performancers that at least would be fun to look at.

But I guess we are just sending someone that surely will not win just to make sure we do not need to host Eurovision again, lol.

No awesome dude from Montenegro or Latvian cyber lady in the final? Why do people always vote wrong.

The worst part is that I need to watch these semifinals to see all the best acts

T.O.P

Banned
Is tonight expected to be any less boring than the first semi-final?

I mean outside of Moldova and Portugal (and the guy spinning his ponytail in the air) i it was just another bland music festival

nitronite

Can't believe that Montenegro didn't get to the final. I thought it had everything: novelty factor, memorable number, catchy disco-style song. What happened?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom