• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

EverQuest Next Landmark Alpha |OT| Settle in, Trailblazin' is afoot.

railGUN

Banned
Maybe instead of a field of overlapping white/greyish boxes (which are impossible to tell if there are claimable spaces between them), they should be solid-coloured on the map, so that the free spaces stand out more.

It's getting 100% visual overhaul, this week I think.

Iadien

Guarantee I'm going to screw up this post? Yeah.
Maybe instead of a field of overlapping white/greyish boxes (which are impossible to tell if there are claimable spaces between them), they should be solid-coloured on the map, so that the free spaces stand out more.

Yep, they are changing this very soon.

For new page as well, @DaveGeorgeson tweets:

"Hoo boy. Another late night coming. I can tell you this much. We won't be done for at LEAST two hours still. Almost certainly longer."

"But the list of fixes in the update is pretty cool. And being able to build reliably will rock. Game will come to life. :)"

@terryjmichaels tweet: "Another late night with the #Landmark team. We have a very nice update coming as soon as we fix the data issue. Can't wait to see it!"

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Looks like the servers are down. I'm just going to assume for the rest of the night.

Raticus79

Seek victory, not fairness
Shouldn't be much longer now. Internal testing started.

Edit: It's happening!

> Terry Michaels @terryjmichaels
> Servers down in 20 minutes for update! Serenity is on the way!
https://twitter.com/terryjmichaels/status/430962224601911296

Got my grappling hook finally. Had been focusing on pick upgrades first. It's possible to scale the portal spires with a bit of dedication:

BfsUil3CYAA0OfZ.png:large

Trouble

Banned
Shouldn't be much longer now. Internal testing started.

Edit: It's happening!

> Terry Michaels @terryjmichaels
> Servers down in 20 minutes for update! Serenity is on the way!
https://twitter.com/terryjmichaels/status/430962224601911296

Got my grappling hook finally. Had been focusing on pick upgrades first. It's possible to scale the portal spires with a bit of dedication:

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BfsUil3CYAA0OfZ.png:large[img][/QUOTE]

Got my grappling hook tonight, too. It wasn't on my priority list, but now I wish it had been, so much fun.

I also crafted 3 rings. I forget their names, but one gives you a better chance for rare resources when gathering.The other 2 are jump and run speed, which I'll use for running to from the portal on my home world mostly (Courage - Vent).

Got my tungsten pick earlier and mined enough gold for a gold axe, and it was weaker and slower than the founder's pickaxe. D: Was nice to be able to chop down the big trees, but too slow. Will focus on viridium pick instead tomorrow night.

Oh, crafted the smooth tool too. Definitely going to use the hell out of that to go for the weathered mountain fortress effect on my claim. :D

Raticus79

Lol, I had trouble patching and got in after about 15 minutes. Lots of competition! Someone was already set up and building at the spot I had targeted when I logged in.

I got a nice green mountain on its own in the middle of the desert mountains in NW Pingo.
fCEi7Tk.png

Travel distance is about the same as my old spot, but the geography's more interesting.

Vilam

Maxis Redwood
Tried to grab a plot as fast as possible when Serenity came up and I'm still pushing up on the outer desert area... damn people are fast. In my panic to grab a spot I didn't exactly get something ideal. It's half hillside... ah well, I'll try and make it work.

Took my first crack at building afterwards; I wanted to see if I could put together one of the classic EverQuest druid rings. It came out rather shabby, but hey... it's a start.

Osiris

I permanently banned my 6 year old daughter from using the PS4 for mistakenly sending grief reports as it's too hard to watch or talk to her
My first attempt at a Silversteel Pick!, not too shabby :)

QtDLgM5.png

Iadien

That looks good, I recognized it before even reading the description, so that's always good. haha

Klyka

Banned
Got up at 6am to get a good spot. Already as full as the other servers, lol.

EU server incoming this week, 2 more US servers next week and another 3 servers down the road. Smedley even said they'd stop selling the alpha access once those 9 servers are getting too crowded.

Also claims will be changed and the buffer made much smaller.

Ferrio

Banned
I went for the mad dash for a spot last night, found a beautiful spot. Went to set down my flag, hit it... confirm screen came up... wanted to adjust the height. Cancelled, redid it and some guy took the spot within that time. Son of a bitch.... had to get one of the last patches of green below that mountain.

b0neshank

Banned
I went for the mad dash for a spot last night, found a beautiful spot. Went to set down my flag, hit it... confirm screen came up... wanted to adjust the height. Cancelled, redid it and some guy took the spot within that time. Son of a bitch.... had to get one of the last patches of green below that mountain.

This is the kind of thing I am worrying about. Having to settle for something because everything else is already taken.

Calen

This is the kind of thing I am worrying about. Having to settle for something because everything else is already taken.

Supposedly more servers are on the way. They know how much they overestimated the player capacity they could support per island.

Klyka

Banned

don't worry,they are adding 6 more servers. they are also decreasing the buffer size around the claims. you might not get the PERFECT spot,but you will definitely get a good one now.

don't worry,they are adding 6 more servers. they are also decreasing the buffer size around the claims. you might not get the PERFECT spot,but you will definitely get a good one now.

Can we pull up existing claims and plant a new one somewhere, if better spots open up?

So I managed to claim the top of a nice mountain, but I am now wondering how to delete plants. I am levelling off the peak, but no matter what I do the plants always seem to remain floating in the air!

Any help?

Iadien

Smedley just mentioned on twitter that a "bunch more islands" will be coming later today.

So I managed to claim the top of a nice mountain, but I am now wondering how to delete plants. I am levelling off the peak, but no matter what I do the plants always seem to remain floating in the air!

Any help?

Click them and press the delete key. Also, I suggest checking out the tutorial folder and watching the videos if you haven't.

RK9039

I also found a really nice spot on a mountain, will post a picture later. These editing tools are really good, it was the first time I was able to use them properly.

I'm trying to make something similar to Mehrunes shrine in Skyrim:

Stone is all that is required, and my mountain is made of stone... muhahaha.

God damn it!

I placed my claim, and realized I should have had it a few feet to the left. So I delete the claim, and try to replace it, and now I can't anywhere near! After I made my claim someone else made theirs nearby (while mine was still active, somehow), preventing me from re-making mine. How is this possible!?

EDIT - What appears to be happening is that while I deleted my claim, it still appears on the top of the screen (but not in claim management), meaning I can't place any new ones. Arg!

This has been nothing but frustrating.

Absinthe

God damn it!

I placed my claim, and realized I should have had it a few feet to the left. So I delete the claim, and try to replace it, and now I can't anywhere near! After I made my claim someone else made theirs nearby (while mine was still active, somehow), preventing me from re-making mine. How is this possible!?

EDIT - What appears to be happening is that while I deleted my claim, it still appears on the top of the screen (but not in claim management), meaning I can't place any new ones. Arg!

Man that really sucks. I wish I could have moved mine over a little as well, but once I placed there was no way I would risk moving with all this craziness.

Somnia

Servers coming down at 3PM Pacific time, claim cleanup AND 13 new islands per world so a total of 39 new islands coming up today!

railGUN

Banned
I got a decent claim at 2:30 am, a solo mountain in the desert, near to the jungle. Not too far from teleport, but far enough to not lag too bad. I have 2nd claim flag, might look for better spot after and delete first if I find one.

Claim cleanup? is that a reset?!

No. Some people got more than one claim flag and used it so they have more than one claim.

People with more than one claim will lose their newest claims and the oldest one will remain.

They put up a warning yesterday telling players with multiple claims to consolidate their stuff to one claim and give up the others or it would be random which one was kept and they would lose anything on the deleted claims.

StudioTan

Hold on, friend! I'd love to share with you some swell news about the Windows 8 Metro UI! Wait, where are you going?
God damn it!

No, it's not someone talking it at that exact moment, it's a bug. I got on the server last night right as it went up and placed a flag in an area without anyone else nearby, I wanted to move it a few feet and deleted it and couldn't place it again despite there not being anyone else intersecting. It's fine, I found another spot I liked better.

Absinthe

No. Some people got more than one claim flag and used it so they have more than one claim.

People with more than one claim will lose their newest claims and the oldest one will remain.

They put up a warning yesterday telling players with multiple claims to consolidate their stuff to one claim and give up the others or it would be random which one was kept and they would lose anything on the deleted claims.

This doesn't count if you deleted your character and started a new one right?

Hopefully that's true, my first character bugged out and lost all his stuff but still had my claim. I deleted that character and started a new one and placed a new claim on the first server I could find a good spot. My second claim flag is still in my inventory so I should be ok.

This doesn't count if you deleted your character and started a new one right?

Hopefully that's true, my first character bugged out and lost all his stuff but still had my claim. I deleted that character and started a new one and placed a new claim on the first server I could find a good spot. My second claim flag is still in my inventory so I should be ok.

edit -

Georgeson answered this on twitter. They're going to delete claims owned by deleted characters before they do any consolidation of claims. Additionally, any additional claim flags you have will disappear after they do the update.

Raticus79

I'm surprised we haven't seen people trying to sell prime claim spots on ebay yet (at least I can't find any). Alpha or not, some people like to be front and centre.

I've got an extra claim flag too - brought it up on twitter and they said not to sweat it, just hold on to it in inventory and stick to one claim at a time. I think I got it when they ran one of the scripts to restore founder items. It's handy because I can settle a claim and then delete my old one. It avoids that vulnerability of having things taken while moving from A to B and winding up claimless. [Edit: RIP! Apparently they're cleaning those up in the upcoming patch. Well, good.]

Tempy

don't ask me for codes
I'm surprised we haven't seen people trying to sell prime claim spots on ebay yet (at least I can't find any). Alpha or not, some people like to be front and centre.

Pointless, since there's going to be a wipe between Alpha and Closed Beta anyway.

Osiris

I permanently banned my 6 year old daughter from using the PS4 for mistakenly sending grief reports as it's too hard to watch or talk to her
Update soon(ish)

SOE said:
There's a bunch of annoying stuff that has happened recently while the servers were unstable and that stuff needs to be cleaned up. (Trash Day!)

Here's the stuff that's happening today at 3pm when we outage the servers:

• Any deleted character has had their claim removed. (And such removal is automatic in the future. Don’t worry about it.)
  • Any extra claim flags in your inventory or vault have been removed.
  • Any character with more than one claim has been reduced to a single claim. The claim that remains is the oldest claim they possessed.
  • NOTE: Any crafting tables, props, or voxel changes they made on those claims stay in the world, so if someone wants to claim those areas afterward, you can clean up on some good stuff if you can find and claim it.
  • If you have a character that did not receive Founder’s Pack items, you will be getting a grant of them today.
  • And if you DELETE a character in the future, you WILL get Founder’s Items for that new character.
  • We are not eliminating Founder’s item duplicates from your inventory if you have them. Enjoy!

StudioTan

Hold on, friend! I'd love to share with you some swell news about the Windows 8 Metro UI! Wait, where are you going?
They are adding 13 new islands for per server so 39 total. Lot of land to claim!

I crafted my Bronze Pick just before the servers went down, I hope it's still there.

Damaniel

Banned
Really want to play this but the founders pack to get in is like $60... Worth it?

It's fun, but I wouldn't spend money on it unless you're fully willing to accept the incomplete status of the game (which many alpha participants have yet to grasp, from all of the whining about claims in the original forums), and don't have anything else to spend the money on.

In a few months, beta keys should be available without having to spend money up front, and the game will be more polished as a result of the alpha tests. If you have other games to play, I'd just wait until then. But then again, I've logged a lot of time in it, warts and all, since the start of alpha, and still plan to go home after work/class tonight and do it again, so it's definitely got some compelling features even this early on.

Arksy

Are there any spots to claim left? That seems like it'll be a problem. New players getting shafted because all the plots are taken. :(

StudioTan

Are there any spots to claim left? That seems like it'll be a problem. New players getting shafted because all the plots are taken. :(

See 2 posts above yours. They are opening up 39 new islands tonight.

Top Bottom