• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Everyone says how much Xbox is struggling, but their revenue is up? What am I missing?

I have no idea why you transitioned to "engagement" as your metric, and then proceeded to ignore the examples of Helldivers2 and Splatoon, which are infinitely more relevant if we're talking engagement.
Helldivers 2 and Splatoon 2 were not hyped titles either. So don’t qualify for what I was talking about.

It's also a value proposition. Like Xbox is missing these games:

Wukong
Astrobot
Rebirth
Helldivers 2
Stellar Blade

But Xbox is always missing games or they are late, like BG3, and then the games that do come out are really like super disappointing, like Starfield, and Senua 2.

Then it feels like Sony is reinvesting in the PS5 generation with the pro and keeping it fresh, exciting and new. Feels like Xbox is trying to rush Xbox Series consoles into the grave.

Then add the removal of the value proposition, by jacking up the prices of gamepass and removing day and date from the lower tier JUST on Xbox(while PC gets preferential treatment).

I know many of you game on Xbox but if you had the gen to do over again would you not swap to PC or PS5? I sure regret my 2 XSX I purchased(one for me one for my bro). They are dust collectors that play FFXIII with no gamepass subs anymore.

MS does not know how to make good games and they don't know how to recruit talent. They buy people out after they are past their prime on the way downhill, and they get their downhill games and wonder why nobody gets excited for them. Nobody else does that to this extent. It's a basic misunderstanding that you can buy an artist. By the time the artist is big enough to get on their radar, their best work is already behind them. You think an artist is gonna give you their best stuff after they sell out? That's not how it works.

Albert Einstein said: “A person who has not made his great contribution to science before the age of 30 will never do so.”

So is true with games. Gotta raise talent from babies can't just buy out big names. They get lazy and stuck in their ways when they get old and rich from your buyout money. They already got famous with a lot of hard work. Now they want to oursource that and be rich, do little, and bask in fame. It is hard to get nose to the grindstone work from a famous old dev you bought because of a game they made in their 20s. Gotta farm them from babies like Stardew Valley and give them a canvas to paint their first game. Their desperate glory will put out some of the best games you've ever imagined because of that search for desperate glory that all young people have when finding their way in life. This young developer is where innovation is often borne. Many people understand this but MS does not because corporate has no nuance. They just buy big names so they can get the IP and advertise the name. The work has suffered. The misconception that they can "just buy talent" instead of nurture it from within the organization has been their biggest weakness and if it continues it will be their eventual downfall.

It’s absolutely crazy how Xbox is now missing out on so many big titles. Especially when you consider how well publishers supported the 360.

Just goes to show how irrelevant Xbox has become.

Buying Bethesda in 2021 thinking they were the same company they were in 2011 reeks of stupidity, id is the only decent studio they have left.

Last edited:
Series X is the best hardware they've made. Their biggest problem was the first 5 years of this gen in software.

Not sure how well the next 5 years will go either.

Fable was a good series back in the day, and Playground are a good dev, but who knows whether this will translate into a good RPG.

Perfect Dark, kinda looks good, I think Zero killed the brand though, and The Initiative are a complete unknown.

Gears E-Day, glad to see it going back to the series roots, but no one believes that the Coaltion’s games were as good as the original Epic Games trilogy.

As always, there’s question marks over which platforms these games will be released on.

Last edited:

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
Not sure how well the next 5 years will go either.

Fable was a good series back in the day, and Playground are a good dev, but who knows whether this will translate into a good RPG.

Perfect Dark, kinda looks good, I think Zero killed the brand though, and The Initiative are a complete unknown.

Gears E-Day, glad to see it going back to the series roots, but no one believes that the Coaltion’s games were as good as the original Epic Games trilogy.

As always, there’s question marks over which platforms these games will be released on.

I have faith in gears and fable. They are 2 of my most hyped games. So I hope they turn out well.

Perfect dark I have no idea. Fingers crossed.

Ms deffo has the best first party line up for me of what's been announced but they need some hits with high metacritic reviews to pull back some good will after some serious misses in forza motorsport and starfield not landing as it should.

I have faith in gears and fable. They are 2 of my most hyped games. So I hope they turn out well.

Perfect dark I have no idea. Fingers crossed.

Ms deffo has the best first party line up for me of what's been announced but they need some hits with high metacritic reviews to pull back some good will after some serious misses in forza motorsport and starfield not landing as it should.

Microsoft kinda blew their load with the big announcements back in 2020 though.

Nintendo and Sony obviously have a lot in the pipeline, but they wait until games are close to release before announcing.

Last edited:
When has a Microsoft title been ever seen as "hyped"?
Never.

Thats what the discussion is.

Overhype achieved through high metascore and polish results in worse experience of playing the game.

So MS doesn’t do that.

Ultimately playing the game for what it is is best. You can figure out what you like/ don’t like and invest time in what you enjoy most.

Never.

Thats what the discussion is.

Overhype achieved through high metascore and polish results in worse experience of playing the game.

So MS doesn’t do that.

Ultimately playing the game for what it is is best. You can figure out what you like/ don’t like and invest time in what you enjoy most.

Apart from Starfield that was being hyped as the new Halo and second coming of Jesus all last year.

Last edited:

Woopah

Publishers don’t do it cause economics don’t work out for them. Investing 200 million for making 20 hrs linear game, only a platform holder gonna do it.
Where are you getting "20 hrs liner game from"? I never said that. The high selling games from Sony and Nintendo are of different types. Likewise the big sellers from third parties are different.

So again, why would MS intentionally choose to have lower software sales, hardware sales and revenue. It makes no sense for a business to do that.

Top Bottom