• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Exciting GAF Air Dashers reporting/results thread

Busaiku

Guess I was wrong. I was going by the score at the bottom of the brackets.

That score isn't what I'm using to calculate winners.
Challonge just counts a win as a win and doesn't factor in number of games.
That's why I've marked any byes/DQs as 1-0, instead of applying 4 games.
Alright... So what you're doing to account for the unbalance is that if the player who is still willing and able to play the match who was awarded 0.5 points wants to play the match at a later date, he will get 1 point regardless of if the opponent who couldn't make it wants to or not?
If the other player is available and 1 of the 2 party requests it, they must play the match.
Since this will work outside of the regular rounds, the request can be made whenever, but the round can only be played obviously when both parties are available.
Meaning you can request to have that match played out, and that request will hold until you play out the match or the end of the tournament. As long as the opposite party is available, they must consent.
If the player is completely gone for the rest of the tournament (as will be the case with Octavion Rex), then there is nothing that can be done, and you are only given the guaranteed 0.5 points.

FluxWaveZ

If the player is completely gone for the rest of the tournament (as will be the case with Octavion Rex), then there is nothing that can be done, and you are only given the guaranteed 0.5 points.

I really don't agree with this for reasons I've stated before. It puts players at a disadvantage for reasons that were out of their control. Like I said, it's harsh but I think the fair thing to do and what a TO would normally do would be as I suggested, primarily by DQ'ing that player in order to make things fair for everyone.

But I guess if I'm in the minority with this opinion, it doesn't matter.

If the other player is available and 1 of the 2 party requests it, they must play the match.
Since this will work outside of the regular rounds, the request can be made whenever, but the round can only be played obviously when both parties are available.
Meaning you can request to have that match played out, and that request will hold until you play out the match or the end of the tournament. As long as the opposite party is available, they must consent.

I guess I don't put as much importance in if they're "available" or not. If they can't play, they can't play and the onus is then on them to do well in the tournament, not the people who actually were available and committed to playing their matches.

cj_iwakura

I really don't agree with this for reasons I've stated before. It puts players at a disadvantage for reasons that were out of their control. Like I said, it's harsh but I think the fair thing to do and what a TO would normally do would be as I suggested, primarily by DQ'ing that player in order to make things fair for everyone.

But I guess if I'm in the minority with this opinion, it doesn't matter.

You're definitely not. It's punishing the player who does attend by a great deal.

If you have to readjust the brackets, so be it. Or put the person who got stood up aside to be paired up later on if it happens again. They deserve a full 4 point go, not a reduced one.

Rhapsody

Banned
You also said that you only have this chance once per game throughout the whole tourney, right? Does this one chance only apply to only the person that wasn't able to play or both? Because what happens if someone encounters a few rounds where their opponent couldn't play?

Regardless looks like I have some catching up then. Not super worried on placing in P4A. It's BB that I'm worried about.
Actually nvm, I think I might be in trouble for P4A too if I want to do well.

Busaiku

Well, if you guys want to do 1 full point for byes/DQs, that's fine.
It's my fault for not clarifying this beforehand, so I am open to it being changed however the majority sees fit.
Points will not be tabulated until the end of the tournament, so the suggestion period will last throughout the month.

So I guess in the case of a person not being able to make it, the person who is able to make it, and does make sure to keep in contact me will be awarded the full point.
However, as I stated, I am still allowing players to replay 1 match they missed. Everyone will be afforded this option, so I believe it should be fair.

Hmm, how nice it'd be if AC+ round three could start during the weekend.

But back to the absentee player thing, don't think this scoring system was made to account for them.

Fugu

Well, if you guys want to do 1 full point for byes/DQs, that's fine.
It's my fault for not clarifying this beforehand, so I am open to it being changed however the majority sees fit.
Points will not be tabulated until the end of the tournament, so the suggestion period will last throughout the month.

So I guess in the case of a person not being able to make it, the person who is able to make it, and does make sure to keep in contact me will be awarded the full point.
However, as I stated, I am still allowing players to replay 1 match they missed. Everyone will be afforded this option, so I believe it should be fair.
I really think that players who get a by should get the full point. It is unfair to give them any other value. As others have said, you are gimping a player by scoring them the value of a tie. Considering it is entirely possible for two people to play the brackets without a loss or a tie it would suck really hard to lose because your opponent didn't show.

Having said that, seeing as this tournament is essentially just one long round robin, I don't see why we have to have bys in the first place. Can we not just have them play someone else instead? You could even seed the selection of their opponent to avoid any biases. In addition, the match could be only worth points to the player(s) that would have had a by.

Busaiku

Byes only exist now that someone has dropped out, which I hoped wouldn't happen.
I can't pair someone with someone else because this isn't a round robin, and because because of that, some people would then get to play more games overall.

Fugu

Byes only exist now that someone has dropped out, which I hoped wouldn't happen.
I can't pair someone with someone else because this isn't a round robin, and because because of that, some people would then get to play more games overall.
Right so make the games not count for the players substituting. Say I don't need a sub but someone else does. I play them so they have someone to play for the match but I get zero points because it's an extra game for me whereas they get however many points they would earn. As I said, you could seed these matches to make them more accurate.

Busaiku

It would be difficult to seed someone right now, since I would only be going off of a couple rounds at this point.
As I've said, I will give the attending player the full point for their participation, but I've given everyone the opportunity to replay one match that they may have missed (to account for the fact that I never gave a clear start date in the sign up thread, as well as not specifying exact round lengths until I started this thread).

FluxWaveZ

It would be difficult to seed someone right now, since I would only be going off of a couple rounds at this point.
As I've said, I will give the attending player the full point for their participation, but I've given everyone the opportunity to replay one match that they may have missed (to account for the fact that I never gave a clear start date in the sign up thread, as well as not specifying exact round lengths until I started this thread).

That's better than what was previously suggested. Of course, it would have been best to account for DQs and byes initially since those will always happen in an online tournament.

It's better for things to be fair for everyone instead of handicapping a few. Even if dates were specifically mentioned, people would have missed matches and it would still be unfair to put players who would be available at a disadvantage.

Fugu

Yeah, I am fine with that too. I just think it sucks to have bys, especially since it means someone not playing for a week.

TWILT

Banned
Canti beats me 4-0 in P4A. Good games. You're my favorite to win this now. =P

Time to try and run it back in the following rounds...

Heh, and despite that, the guy I played at Evo (not Rikir who also mains and cosplayed her) told me "dude Yosuke is one of her worst match ups" and I'm just like "..."

Busaiku

FSLink/AutumnAve in BlazBlue Continuum Shift Extend
TWILT/AutumnAve in Guilty Gear XX Accent Core +

You guys have through today (Sunday) to complete your matches.

Omnix ~ That One Hero, since Mo the Hawk is away, and Octavion Rex has withdrawn from the tournament, I need you to contact me, otherwise no one will be awarded points.

Okay so I'm going to be gone tomorrow (or today being sunday depending on timezones) evening (around 7 PM EST) and most likely a majority of monday so if by some chance FSLink does stop by within then I'll use my P4A re-do thingy when I get back. Given Guilty gear is 4 days per round though I should be able to work that perfectly in schedule.

Korigama

P4A round three
Korigama vs. Naite
2-2

GGs. Not sure what I was thinking with some inputs (namely going for All-Out Attacks at times when I wanted EX specials), but it was fun. Sorry for not being a bit more coordinated.

Naite

Really close set in P4A with Korigama. 2-2. GGs. Wouldn't mind fighting your Naoto some more. I had no idea what was gonna happen when you did her Critical Shot finisher while I was doing my weave into EX Corkscrew but I stuck with it because I really wanted to see what would happen.

4 matches in a row where I'm 2-2. Ugh.

TWILT

Banned
Hmm AutumnAve hasn't been on PSN for 40 hours now. :s

I sent another PM. If push comes to shove, I'll just use my one replay match then.

EDIT: And as soon as I post this...

FluxWaveZ

So my opponent in round 3 of P4A, Mo the Hawk, will only be available on Thursday. I suppose that means I'll get the bye for this round, but he'll probably take the option to use his 1 catch-up match and we'll face on Friday.

Okay, so I finally got back from my trip. Time to check the brackets and see what I need to do.

Hey omnix, I sent you a pm a couple days ago, we play each other in Persona. Just let me know what would be a good time for you to play tomorrow since it's the last day of the round. I probably won't be able to get on till around 3 or 4 PM though.

Busaiku

So you guys played it out?
If you want to count that Omnix, let me know.
If so, that will be your one replay for Persona 4 Arena.

Well, actually, if you're both ok with it, then you can let it count.
But for the record, if you want to use your replay, you must notify me of it before playing it out.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
So what happens say if someone goes 4-0 through the whole tournament, goes 2-2 vs the other person who went 4-0 the whole way, but one of those players were not able to play a game because of someone being a no show.

:)

Busaiku

So you're saying someone gets 8/12 points, but one of the points is from one of their opponents not showing up?
It would still go to tiebreaker.

Or are you saying for that one of those people misses the tiebreaker?
There's no repeat for the tiebreaker.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
So you're saying someone gets 8/12 points, but one of the points is from one of their opponents not showing up?
It would still go to tiebreaker.

Or are you saying for that one of those people misses the tiebreaker?
There's no repeat for the tiebreaker.

No Im saying if someone wins the entire time but comes across a no show would he be screwed over or does the no show turn into 4 points for that person and the other person with a perfect record play the tie breaker.

Rhapsody

Banned
I think after posts from Fugu, Flux, and maybe others, Busaiku bumped the points up to a full point if they come across a no-show.

Edit: Oh, Busaiku said he'll most likely change it to that. So not official, but it'll probably happen. (I also agree that if the person comes across a no-show, they should get a full point until the opponent decides to use their one replay.

If it's okay with you guys, can I retract my replay with Lemstar and play cj? I didn't really follow the rules during that set (as I just picked whoever I felt like) and I treated it as if it was just for fun.

Top Bottom