• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fable III |OT| King for a day...fool for a lifetime

Dizzy said:
Turns out he's not completely black, but his skin is much too dark for him to be my genetic son.

Question is, is it just a bug or was my wife a floozy? I think she was already married when I married her. Can't turn a ho into a housewife!

Same thing happened in Fable 2. I don't think I ever had a son that looked remotely white, daughters did though. In Fable 3 I had one white daughter and two children with really dark skin tones, one son, one daughter.

I'm 10 hours in and enjoying the game so far, but as others have said, there are some extremely questionable design choices in this game; that is nothing new for the Fable series, but this time more than ever I'm a bit puzzled at why they do certain things they way they do. My main gripe has to do with the breadcrumb trail either completely disappearing in the middle of quests or leading me in the opposite direction that I'm supposed to be going.

I'm such an asshole in the game. I point and laugh at my daughter, treat my wife like shit, and charge exorbitant prices for rent in all my properties. My getup is pretty nasty looking too: harlequin face paint, solid black mercenary suit, gray hair, and tattoos all over.

goldsoundz said:
I'm 10 hours in and enjoying the game so far, but as others have said, there are some extremely questionable design choices in this game; that is nothing new for the Fable series, but this time more than ever I'm a bit puzzled at why they do certain things they way they do. My main gripe has to do with the breadcrumb trail either completely disappearing in the middle of quests or leading me in the opposite direction that I'm supposed to be going.

I'm such an asshole in the game. I point and laugh at my daughter, treat my wife like shit, and charge exorbitant prices for rent in all my properties. Not to mention my getup: harlequin face paint, solid black mercenary suit, gray hair, and tattoos all over.

Be careful with the treating your wife like shit part, if SHE divorces you, she takes half of everything you got :lol

razgriz417 said:
Be careful with the treating your wife like shit part, if SHE divorces you, she takes half of everything you got :lol
Take her out to some nice empty spot and get her to help you recreate a scene from old yeller

razgriz417 said:
Off to the jewelery stand I go! Thanks for letting me know this.

Or maybe I'll just murder her and leave my daughter to become an orphan.

Lostconfused said:
Take her out to some nice empty spot and get her to help you recreate a scene from old yeller

Or you could be like me and have a wife get stuck in the castle kitchen, unable to move or talk then in the next scene up and die. I kinda liked her too...

where are all the sidequests?

im king and im trying to earn some guild seals and money before the final battle. and the only sidequest i can do are evil ones, wth.

NightHawk17 said:

im king and im trying to earn some guild seals and money before the final battle. and the only sidequest i can do are evil ones, wth.
You also wont get side quests from areas you haven't physically visited. Unlike Fable 2.

Warnen

Don't pass gaas, it is your Destiny!
Hit a few bugs but nothing too bad. I adopted all the kids in the orphanage but had to fire one of the nannies ( tried to do her friend quest when a balvarine killed the person I was supposed give package to, she blamed me for her death and hated me). When I went to pick up my kids it added 2 more kids to my count (game says I have 13 when I only have 11).
Also my wife was killed for some reason after I moved her into the castle, my new wife says she knows I have another wife. Can't get her to sleep with me :(

My plan is to fill the market place with my kids, she better start pumping out them babies!

Benjamin1981 said:
So i just became King. someone please help me with my problem.

what is the Best Way to get 8 Million Albion bucks before the darkness attacks?

buy out everything, then max out one of your job (i suggest blacksmith), take up the job and tap the x and a button repeatedly, you'll get about 288gold while also earning money from your housing.

Warnen

Wish I didn't waste my guild seal on the jobs, only bought shops and homes to get the cash, when I finally became king I had 10 million already. Could have used them to max out another skill.

NightHawk17 said:

you can always talk to people you havn't talked to before... earn that 1 seal per act or w/e.

Johnlenham said:
Er what theres loads of side quests, Ive done like 4 or 5 chains most before I even became king.

Well we're talking about after you become king where there aren't any new sidequests unless you count the bullshit become a friend sidequest for a random person on the street.

So what's the word folks? Buy this now or wait? I had it pre-ordered but never picked it up because of new vegas addiction and work. yay or nay?

zero margin said:
So what's the word folks? Buy this now or wait? I had it pre-ordered but never picked it up because of new vegas addiction and work. yay or nay?

Unless you're a huge fan, I say wait. There's some good with the game but it really feels like a step back for the series (aside from the border collie).

New Vegas is a better game, but both could definitely have used a few more months in the oven before release. There's no excuse for the slowdown in Fable 3.

Count of Monte Sawed-Off said:
Unless you're a huge fan, I say wait. There's some good with the game but it really feels like a step back for the series (aside from the border collie).

New Vegas is a better game, but both could definitely have used a few more months in the oven before release. There's no excuse for the slowdown in Fable 3.

Sounds like solid advice. It really wouldn't get a lot of play right now from me with black ops coming next week(week after I guess). Wait it probably is. Also, yes new vegas is not without issues but there is just so much to do.

Warnen

zero margin said:

I say buy it, haven't had a fraction of the problems new Vegas gave me. I loved the other fables and this one is everything I hoped for. Sure you can't fart in groups of people but that also means you don't have to spam actions in town to advance the game. So much easier managing things in the new menu zone, only improvements I would make is to add a repair all button to the town interface and let you pic the good/joke/evil expression you make.

Count of Monte Sawed-Off said:

I disagree. I feel like Fable 3 is a massive step forward, and a few small steps back.

The world is much larger, there are more things to do, more quests to do, more things to find. Many more weapons and spells, more dungeons and more towns. Everything is so much bigger than Fable 2 (other than the expressions).

The combat is also improved, though only a little bit. (you can now roll in battle, which makes combat alot easier)

Btw, those of you looking for the Aurorian flowers: when you find them all, go to the top of the City of Aurora and find Priestess Mara. She'll turn the flowers into "sacred dyes" and you'll be able to dye your tattoos six different colors. (blue, orange, red, purple, yellow and green) You'll also get 60 guild seals in the process.

Zeal

Banned
I originally heard that this game was supposed to have been released in episodes. Is this still the plan? If so, has there been any announcement yet on future content?

Sad to say, I'm already craving more Fable. It was much too short.

LAUGHTREY said:
Well what did you think
expected casualties
meant?

I knew what it meant, but I didn't know it would
kill EVERYONE off, including Shopkeepers.

It's a pretty lame, in my opinion.

7echnicolor said:
The combat is also improved, though only a little bit. (you can now roll in battle, which makes combat alot easier)

No, the combat's worst. The whole idea for the "1 button combat" what requires 4 buttons was to provide a nigh' infinite amount of context sensitive attacks dependent on multiple variables. 2 at least has animations for kills against walls, Fable 3 detracts from this. It's as though Peter forgot about his GDC presentation.

That was my only real disappointment, I think the rest of the game's been greatly improved.

Though I wish the end game was made harder, I thought most of the choices were well done however the point of it was made redundant because if you played the game how it was intended to be played you'd have a more than adequate amount of money to get everything done and then some. They should have given the player a pool of limited resource as well as time and forced them to make tough decisions.

Also Reaver is still boss, loved the extract from his biography which told us what happened to him and Garth after number 2.

-Yeti said:
I knew what it meant, but I didn't know it would
kill EVERYONE off, including Shopkeepers.

It's a pretty lame, in my opinion.

Yeah, fuck the game for providing some legitimate consequence for your absolute failure to rule your kingdom :(

Anyone find that interactive floating talisman
thingy in Driftwood? Has a sword, crosshair or magic symbol on it, indicating how to interact. I hit it a few times and it bounced around the islands, until it stuck up a ledge on the side of a mountain and I couldn't reach it. It's on the 'sword' icon and there's no way to reach it. Maybe the island opens up later so I can drop down from higher up?

*Note - this is after I became king, after I sent the carpenter guy there to build the bridges between the islands.

Spirit of Jazz said:
Yeah, fuck the game for providing some legitimate consequence for your absolute failure to rule your kingdom :(

A legitimate consequence? So making all of the good and right decisions, only to have
everyone die
as a result is legit. Awesome logic.

You see, I don't mind if
everyone died except the Shopkeepers. I actually enjoyed checking out what shops and in store. Now, I can't do that only because I made the right decisions.

FrankT

dralla said:
the ending does indeed come out of nowhere and fucking sucks.

After 35-40 hour session with this game, loving much it, I have to say it is indeed a weak ending. The writing itself is weaker than Fable II in this regard to be sure.

-Yeti said:
A legitimate consequence? So making all of the good and right decisions, only to have
everyone die
as a result is legit. Awesome logic.

You see, I don't mind if
everyone died except the Shopkeepers. I actually enjoyed checking out what shops and in store. Now, I can't do that only because I made the right decisions.

Yes, you made the good and right decisions
as you totally failed to prioritize the inevitable doom approching your people and instead focused on looking like a pompous token do-gooder whilst knowing millions of your people were going to die

That would make no sense
shopkeepers would all magically survive and despite nobody being around to provide them with produce they'd magically produce it to sell? Clearly you did the right thing by letting little Jimmy be slaughtered by a nightmarish entity rather than having him work in a factory

Jtyettis said:
After 35-40 hour session with this game, loving much it, I have to say it is indeed a weak ending. The writing itself is weaker than Fable II in this regard to be sure.

I don't know if the ending is too weak, I certainly didn't think it came out of nowhere and the writing was stronger than the other Fable games throughout.
I thought the most glaring weak point in the story was the fact that there's no explanation what so ever of what the evil entities are and where they come from, this is double annoying given the franchise spans centuries and there's never been a mention of them. I mean when something usurps the former antagonist of the game "They came 5 years ago" being the only information you're given about them doesn't cut it.

soco

i got to play it for a few the other day and i'm surprised at some of the interface design choices. the interface for some of the actions feels like a pretty big step backwards. it's like they focused on using fewer buttons at the expense of making it more awkward. the block mechanic is a good example, but so is all of the character interaction.

the hold this button for 2-3 seconds is fucking stupid. it annoys me every time i have to do it. i understand why it was done, but it's a piss poor solution to the issues that probably annoys almost everyone. if you want to allow someone to take it back, give them a dialog that says "(B) errrr. lemme think this through" and give them a second or two during the animation to take it back.

also there's parts of the game that look good, and many more that just look like shit. i don't remember either of the previous games looking this bad in sections, at least comparitively to the good sections. maybe it's just selective recall.

Spirit of Jazz said:
Yes, you made the good and right decisions
as you totally failed to prioritize the inevitable doom approching your people and instead focused on looking like a pompous token do-gooder whilst knowing millions of your people were going to die

That would make no sense
shopkeepers would all magically survive and despite nobody being around to provide them with produce they'd magically produce it to sell? Clearly you did the right thing by letting little Jimmy be slaughtered by a nightmarish entity rather than having him work in a factory

Yeah, like I knew the game would end abruptly when I obviously had ~120 days left to make enough Gold to
save my people.

It's pretty ridiculous if I can't use a major feature after I beat the game. I actually enjoy being able to buy things in shops, I love to see what they have in store. Since the shopkeepers are all dead, I can't even buy some of the Legendary weapons now, thus preventing me from getting the Achievement.

How can you even defend the way the game turned out? No game should prevent me from using a major feature after beating it, regardless of what choices I made.

-Yeti said:
Yeah, like I knew the game would end abruptly when I obviously had ~120 days left to make enough Gold to
save my people.

It's pretty ridiculous if I can't use a major feature after I beat the game. I actually enjoy being able to buy things in shops, I love to see what they have in store. Since the shopkeepers are all dead, I can't even buy some of the Legendary weapons now, thus preventing me from getting the Achievement.

How can you even defend the way the game turned out? No game should prevent me from using a major feature after beating it, regardless of what choices I made.

Blah blah consequence blah blah. Also you're only slightly more limited, you'd still need to go to other players games to get that achievement. This just means you'll need to get 12 more (or less than 12...) weapons from other players. It's not a huge deal in that regard.

As for it suddenly cutting you off, it was pretty clear how the game was progressing at that point. Date might have seemed harsh but the idea was to keep/get the treasury to a certain level and you totally ignored that, opting to run yourself into more and more debt to do the "right" thing.

But yeah, fuck Lionhead for providing and interesting end game if you fucked up your responsibilities enough rather than providing you with a light MMORPG-like frolic

I really wish there were more types of quests other than just "fetch and dig up shit" quests for making NPC friends.

I'm addicted to this game but it's so flawed I don't even understand. Peter is laughing at my soul.

soco said:
i got to play it for a few the other day and i'm surprised at some of the interface design choices. the interface for some of the actions feels like a pretty big step backwards. it's like they focused on using fewer buttons at the expense of making it more awkward. the block mechanic is a good example, but so is all of the character interaction.

the hold this button for 2-3 seconds is fucking stupid. it annoys me every time i have to do it. i understand why it was done, but it's a piss poor solution to the issues that probably annoys almost everyone. if you want to allow someone to take it back, give them a dialog that says "(B) errrr. lemme think this through" and give them a second or two during the animation to take it back.

All of that is actually the stuff that was left in from the 2nd game. So I guess it could be a pretty big step backwards from Fable 1 if you want to put it that way.

DY_nasty

NeoGAF's official "was this shooting justified" consultant
Can someone help me understand why all of the people hate me? I've been a good king :(

Spirit of Jazz said:
Blah blah consequence blah blah. Also you're only slightly more limited, you'd still need to go to other players games to get that achievement. This just means you'll need to get 12 more (or less than 12...) weapons from other players. It's not a huge deal in that regard.

As for it suddenly cutting you off, it was pretty clear how the game was progressing at that point. Date might have seemed harsh but the idea was to keep/get the treasury to a certain level and you totally ignored that, opting to run yourself into more and more debt to do the "right" thing.

But yeah, fuck Lionhead for providing and interesting end game if you fucked up your responsibilities enough rather than providing you with a light MMORPG-like frolic

I love how you assume I wasn't trying to get enough Gold to save everyone.

I thought I did a pretty good job keeping my Treasury at a good amount, even though I was losing a lot. When it abruptly ended, I had about -15,000 Gold. I was really close to being even, which of course still wouldn't have been enough. I was planning on taking a break from making the right decisions to actually go out and make Gold by pressing buttons in a certain sequence as it progressively got faster, but I hit the point of no return with ~120 days left.. no warning whatsoever. I don't think it was clear at all at letting me know how it was progressing. I shouldn't have gone from 120 days left to no days left in a blink of an eye. I was expecting at least 2 more lists of objectives.

I don't think the ending was interesting at all. Each decision you make is two-sided: Either make a really good decision, or a really bad decision, with no neutral (or should I say more realistic and smarter decision.) Once that's over, you're left with no feeling of accomplishment. Rather, it's disappointment. I understand there are alternate endings, but they shouldn't even consider the result I got as an option. It's not acceptable, and I still can't believe you're defending it.

DY_nasty said:
Can someone help me understand why all of the people hate me? I've been a good king :(

Is it because you decided to turn the Factory into an Orphanage?

If so, it's completely understandable why people hate you.

/sarcasm

DY_nasty

NeoGAF's official "was this shooting justified" consultant
-Yeti said:
Is it because you decided to turn the Factory into an Orphanage?

If so, it's completely understandable why people hate you.

/sarcasm
I lifted the alcohol limit. Everyone in Bowerstone hates me and at night people roam the streets like zombies.

Kritz

Banned
cjelly said:
Or you can hit Start and go to the right and press A on the cogs like you're supposed to.

God forbid someone access a menu in a shorter amount of time. Just because the game wants me to travel to magical skybox land, walk over to something and hit A to access a menu, doesn't mean that you should have to comply when there is another option for doing so. And I would argue that physically taking something out of a controller to bring up a pause menu is more intuitive and intelligent than the bullshit, gamey wall decoration that exists as a good idea to nobody but the developers and the kinds of people who will unrelentingly attach themselves to a video game that any form of criticism is met with responses pulled directly from the "how to be a jerk in megathreads" playbook.

Also, the garbage framerate makes doing the guitar hero jobs completely unenjoyable. Especially the lute one where successfully getting the button pushes right results in a flashy effect that halts the game to literally single digit framerates every so often.

At least the good bits of Fable are still intact. That is, clothing, combat and dialogue.

Dead

well not really...yet
Opened up my first Golden door, and the treasure inside was something I bought just a little earlier in a shop...smh

soco

Lostconfused said:
All of that is actually the stuff that was left in from the 2nd game. So I guess it could be a pretty big step backwards from Fable 1 if you want to put it that way.

you're right, it did exist in fable 2, but from what i remember it wasn't used as extensively. selecting actions for example. granted you had the minigame for some of those (haven't seen that in F3 yet)

fernoca

Dead said:
Opened up my first Golden door, and the treasure inside was something I bought just a little earlier in a shop...smh
Yeah, I opened all 4 (+1) and the rewards were mostly disappointing.

The +1 Gold Key is
the one at the top of your personal gold collection. By obtaining that key, you unlock a chest that's actually under your gold collection so you have to transfer everything to the treasury or spend it all. Is a weapon and a royal tattoo set.

Anyway, gave a break to the game; well for a few hours. After returning from hanging out with a few friends and a birthday; turned out one of my friends got the game, so finally played co-op with soemone I know I at least. So I guess this becomes my third playthrough.

Really fun and awesome. No problem except for some lag at first, but the problem was in my connection so after making some adjustments everything was lag-free. He seems to be enjoying it and loves the Sanctuary, though admits to be disappointed by the not upgrading specific attributes and a general experience system; he admits at least that is not that bad since he can focus on other things to do and have fun.

Gave him 2 million and took him on a shopping spree, to get him started. We're barely on the "Sabine aspects" of the game which is the beginning basically. :lol

Planning on getting married and have a child though he's worried his female character might get mine's STD. :lol

Aaron

Lostconfused said:
I haven't played Fable 3 yet, but everything I've heard makes it seem this series has taken the bizarro route of getting worse with each incarnation. In the first, the combat system was much more robust, the quests were more interesting, there was the boasting system that was really cool... and most of it gone in the shorter sequel that added expressions and shop buying, but never had a concrete goal for either of them, while not even fixing the world structure that was the major flaw from the first game. Fable 3 sounds like it staples on more shallow and poorly thought out systems while stripping functionality from the stuff before without actually improving on any of it.

StarEye

The Amiga Brotherhood
Kritz said:
God forbid someone access a menu in a shorter amount of time. Just because the game wants me to travel to magical skybox land, walk over to something and hit A to access a menu, doesn't mean that you should have to comply when there is another option for doing so. And I would argue that physically taking something out of a controller to bring up a pause menu is more intuitive and intelligent than the bullshit, gamey wall decoration that exists as a good idea to nobody but the developers and the kinds of people who will unrelentingly attach themselves to a video game that any form of criticism is met with responses pulled directly from the "how to be a jerk in megathreads" playbook.

Also, the garbage framerate makes doing the guitar hero jobs completely unenjoyable. Especially the lute one where successfully getting the button pushes right results in a flashy effect that halts the game to literally single digit framerates every so often.

At least the good bits of Fable are still intact. That is, clothing, combat and dialogue.

For me, disconnecting the controller, turning it back on and waiting for it to sync takes longer than pushing start and taking three steps to the cogs. It's not like the magical skybox land doesn't load instantly.

Dead

well not really...yet
fernoca said:
Yeah, I opened all 4 (+1) and the rewards were mostly disappointing.

The +1 Gold Key is
the one at the top of your personal gold collection. By obtaining that key, you unlock a chest that's actually under your gold collection so you have to transfer everything to the treasury or spend it all. Is a weapon and a royal tattoo set.
Well, thats lame.

One thing I noticed is how much better the clothing design in Fable 3 is. Pretty much everything in Fable 2 looked blah. Everything in Fable 3 looks great, even the male costumes look stylish as hell on my femal MC.

Actually, so far the game is better than Fable 2 in pretty much every way, except for the removal of the expressions wheel...

Man that game is disappointing. I loved Fable 2 but there are so many poor design choices in Fable 3. I almost have no motivation to finish this game.

For some reason the combat feels worse. I hate the subworld menu. I also think the game looks worse than Fable 2. I know it's supposed to be darker but the lighting makes the game look flat. The music seems to be copied from the previous game.

Top Bottom