• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FakeGAF 7: The Dark Thirst Rises

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member 10571

Unconfirmed Member
I'd almost bet money on there being a Harry Potter MMORPG by 2020, probably made by Turbine.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
I think MMOs are dead. EQ Next was cancelled and everything other than WoW loses money

Xiao Hu

And I can't watch any of the presentations because I would either have to wake up fucking early or skip university completely :/

I wonder what the reaction for Crash will be in theaters when I'm there Monday night
E3 hype

I want another Dead Rising, love that series

Zelda will just be open world zelda 1 x 2 combined remake , do it

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
I want zelda to be incredible but if it's just zelda in an elder scrolls skin... no thanks
Don't even suggest it. Nope, nope, not happening, not possible. They wouldn't...
would they?

Misha

Banned
I want zelda to be incredible but if it's just zelda in an elder scrolls skin... no thanks
I never got why anyone said that. More map doesn't automatically come with the issues of elder scrolls. Most of their issues are in story telling. Wind Waker and to a lesser extent twilight princess already dealt with more expansive maps and they have my favorite over worlds.
Skyward sword had a very limited map and sucked for it

I honestly wouldn't mind that. I like Skyrim a fair amount, so if it's Skyrim with actually good dungeons then I'll be in love.

I wonder what the reaction for Crash will be in theaters when I'm there Monday night
E3 hype

I want another Dead Rising, love that series

Zelda will just be open world zelda 1 x 2 combined remake , do it

Yes to all of this.

D

Deleted member 10571

Unconfirmed Member
I honestly wouldn't mind that. I like Skyrim a fair amount, so if it's Skyrim with actually good dungeons then I'll be in love.

Agreed, Nintendo would have a good chance bringing all the life and love to a Skyrim-ish open world that Bethesda is incapable of for generations.

FloatOn

I put over 90 hours into skyrim. There is quite a bit to enjoy in that game but it's a sad thing when

1) The main story line is the worst quest line in the game
2) The combat is as shallow as it gets

and perhaps the worst offfender

3) so many broken and exploitable systems that completely ruin any real sense of progress

I never got why anyone said that. More map doesn't automatically come with the issues of elder scrolls. Most of their issues are in story telling. Wind Waker and to a lesser extent twilight princess already dealt with more expansive maps and they have my favorite over worlds.
Skyward sword had a very limited map and sucked for it

The issue isn't more map. It's more map that isn't designed with intent.

I feel like zelda overworlds haven't been worth a damn since link to the past (which remains the best zelda game imo)

Jobbs

Banned
count me in on the e3 hypewagon or whatever. I'm all about it.

I predict Zelda will have a female playable option (maybe the next logical step from naming your character will be a gender option and hopefully even some visual customizations). I actually bet $10 on this with a neogaffer in 2014 when it was first unveiled. I intend to collect

I also think a Zelda skyrim thing would be fine. Skyrim in third person with decent combat and the unique Zelda style? Yeah, that's actually exactly what I want. Skyrim has little sense of style and horrible combat + I generally hate FPS on principle, so, yeah, give me Zeldarim.

I put over 90 hours into skyrim. There is quite a bit to enjoy in that game but it's a sad thing when

3) so many broken and exploitable systems that completely ruin any real sense of progress

I don't think you'll have to worry about the first two. As for the third, eh, Zelda games are almost always super bug-ridden and exploitable if you know where to look.

I predict Zelda will have a female playable option (maybe the next logical step from naming your character will be a gender option and hopefully even some visual customizations). I actually bet $10 on this with a neogaffer in 2014 when it was first unveiled. I intend to collect

I also think a Zelda skyrim thing would be fine. Skyrim in third person with decent combat and the unique Zelda style? Yeah, that's actually exactly what I want. Skyrim has little sense of style and horrible combat + I generally hate FPS on principle, so, yeah, give me Zeldarim.

I'm guessing light RPG elements. That new art has Link in a knight's helmet, so there might be different armor options and stuff like that. Naturally a sex option plays right into that.

D

Deleted member 10571

Unconfirmed Member
So um.

We gonna watch the silly conferences here or what

FloatOn

I don't see why having Link be a girl is such a wanted thing. Or voice acting for that matter.

Is it just so that the game can be different?

I would rather the difference come from more meaningful things such as the way the game is played or structured. I'm getting tired of the get 3 things oh wait now you have to get 7 things oh wait now you have to beat the last boss.

Jobbs

Banned
I don't see why having Link be a girl is such a wanted thing. Or voice acting for that matter.

I would rather the difference come from more meaningful things such as the way the game as played or structured. I'm getting tired of the get 3 things oh wait now you have to get 7 things oh wait now you have to beat the last boss.

it's because some people would like to play a girl character, myself included. what's the harm?

link is not the same as, say, geralt. He's not a defined character. He doesn't speak. He's just some vague reincarnated hero of legend. He can be anything. You can name him whatever you want in every game. They even called him "Link" because he's the "Link" between the player and the game. He's a conduit. He's just an empty vessel.

because of this, it's just a natural progression to allow there to be a few more choices than just the name. I don't know what the downside is.

So um.

We gonna watch the silly conferences here or what

I usually jump in the SonyGAF or NeoGAF Twitch chat for the big conferences. I'll be at work or asleep for all of the conferences except Sony though.

I would rather the difference come from more meaningful things such as the way the game is played or structured. I'm getting tired of the get 3 things oh wait now you have to get 7 things oh wait now you have to beat the last boss.

People like to play as girls. It's not a big deal.

jb1234

It's very hard to care about anything that happens in Skyrim when there isn't a single memorable NPC in the entire game. That's a big problem with Bethesda. Their writers blow.

(I still got fifty hours out of the game until I realized I was basically doing the same thing over and over again with diminishing returns.)

zeemumu

I don't see the harm in making it an option. No one raises hell about Pokemon doing it and it's not going to decrease the value of your play experience in any way unless you're stubborn as all hell.

FloatOn

it's because some people would like to play a girl character, myself included. what's the harm?

link is not the same as, say, geralt. He's not a defined character. He doesn't speak. He's just some vague reincarnated hero of legend. He can be anything. You can name him whatever you want in every game. They even called him "Link" because he's the "Link" between the player and the game. He's a conduit. He's just an empty vessel.

because of this, it's just a natural progression to allow there to be a few more choices than just the name. I don't know what the downside is.

no real downside other than potentially losing what makes the Link design iconic.

the game has never been about "role playing" where you design a character from scratch. It's about Link saving Princess Zelda from Ganon. I think to change that formula is to change the identity of what fans fell in love with all those years ago.

Should Mario be a blank canvas for us to customize as we see fit?

I'm all for innovation but it shouldn't come from something so trivial.

Misha

Banned
I
The issue isn't more map. It's more map that isn't designed with intent.

I feel like zelda overworlds haven't been worth a damn since link to the past (which remains the best zelda game imo)
Yeah agreed. That goes with the writing like I was saying. They just make some generic terrain and stuff and then throw in whatever and it's the same with main plot beyond being about dragons or other planes there really isn't anything memorable about them

Disagree on that. Not a huge fan of lttp over world. It's sorta hard to make comparisons with 3D games but I preferred Minish cap.
I actually think ocarina of time sorta sucked since hyrule field was incredibly boring and just a place you use to go to the other locations.
no real downside other than potentially losing what makes the Link design iconic.

the game has never been about "role playing" where you design a character from scratch. It's about Link saving Princess Zelda from Ganon. I think to change that formula is to change the identity of what fans fell in love with all those years ago.

Just make a Zelda game with a female link as link. No choice, just do it

SolVanderlyn

All the 2D Zeldas have good overworlds. Even Zelda 2 and its weird RPG map.

Skyward Sword is the best in the 3D department because it realized how bad the series is at 3D overworlds and decided that if it can't win, it won't play the game at all.

I think female Link is asininely arbitrary and and not only not necessary but a waste of resources on the dev's part. Who gives a shit what gender you are. Does playing as Lara Croft make her less relatable or less interesting because I'm a dude? No? Ok then.

Conversely, if the Link of a particular game was decidedly female with no player input I wouldn't mind

Jobbs

Banned
Mass Effect actually has a defined, speaking, personality-having character and a gender option didn't ruin it.

I simply don't understand the opposition. You don't want to play a girl? Okay. I don't want to play a boy.

I'd probably have already played through Witcher 3 ages ago if I could make my own female character but as it stands I find Geralt so dull that it makes the game uninteresting. Aside from my general preference for women, male lead characters tend to be particularly boring (if not annoying) in video games

Misha

Banned
All the 2D Zeldas have good overworlds. Even Zelda 2 and its weird RPG map.

Skyward Sword is the best in the 3D department because it realized how bad the series is at 3D overworlds and decided that if it can't win, it won't play the game at all.
Wat. It didn't even do a limited over world well
Mass Effect actually has a defined, speaking, personality-having character and a gender option didn't ruin it.

I simply don't understand the opposition. You don't want to play a girl? Okay. I don't want to play a boy.
It did ruin it. It caused people to play the inferior male!sheppard

D

Deleted member 10571

Unconfirmed Member
ss2hm9R.png

That's where we are now. Next up will be the background layer and a bunch of gradients at the bottom to make the edges of the ground area look all fancy.
After that, to finish it off, color for the knight and bonfire, and probably the darksign.

It looks super super nice on my actual arm, love it a lot. The white lines seem a bit blurry and thick on the picture, they look way more intricate on the real thing. Probably me shaking the camera.

FloatOn

I'd probably have already played through Witcher 3 ages ago if I could make my own female character but as it stands I find Geralt so dull that it makes the game uninteresting. Aside from my general preference for women, male lead characters tend to be particularly boring (if not annoying) in video games

Spoiler: You get to play as a defined female character at various points through Witcher 3.

Changing the visual identity of the character just makes it feel like cheap fan art. Or some Marvel "what if..." scenario

a78807dac193f8b6ae63f6b7464f98be.jpg

edit - looks really cool bufbaf

Just make a Zelda game with a female link as link. No choice, just do it

Or gasp! have a Zelda game starring Sheik or even Princess Zelda as the protagonist.

SolVanderlyn

Spoiler: You get to play as a defined female character at various points through Witcher 3.

Changing the visual identity of the character just makes it feel like cheap fan art. Or some Marvel "what if..." scenario

a78807dac193f8b6ae63f6b7464f98be.jpg
I think you've hit on the divide between two kinds of game players:

Those who want to play an interactive story

and

Those who want to interactively create their own story through pre-defined, "choose your own adventure" type branching paths.

Gaming has recently been heavily leaning towards the latter audience. I am firmly in the camp of the former. That said, I got some massive enjoyment out of seeing my DA:I Inquisitor and Mass Effect Shepard appear in cutscenes and start talking and being a person. I don't think every game needs that, though. Not at all.

I mean it's already too late. Have you seen some of the latest art? The iconic Link visage is not going to be the linchpin of this game.

And making Link able to be female isn't changing the formula at all.

Who gives a shit what gender you are.

Clearly the thousands of people asking for it do.

I realize this is harder to appreciate if you're used to usually playing as your own race and gender though.

That's where we are now. Next up will be the background layer and a bunch of gradients at the bottom to make the edges of the ground area look all fancy.
After that, to finish it off, color for the knight and bonfire, and probably the darksign.

It looks super super nice on my actual arm, love it a lot. The white lines seem a bit blurry and thick on the picture, they look way more intricate on the real thing. Probably me shaking the camera.

That's so cool! Thanks for sharing :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom