• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FakeGAF 7: The Dark Thirst Rises

Status
Not open for further replies.

Misha

Banned
I think you've hit on the divide between two kinds of game players:

Those who want to play an interactive story

and

Those who want to interactively create their own story through pre-defined, "choose your own adventure" type branching paths.

Gaming has recently been heavily leaning towards the latter audience. I am firmly in the camp of the former. That said, I got some massive enjoyment out of seeing my DA:I Inquisitor and Mass Effect Shepard appear in cutscenes and start talking and being a person.
Having a different avatar doesn't affect any paths. WiiSports would be very different if it did

But It's not like Zelda is a narriative focused series anyway besides majoras mask

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
Clearly the thousands of people asking for it do.

I realize this is harder to appreciate if you're used to usually playing as your own race and gender though.
Joke's on you, I always choose female in player choice games. :p

Jobbs

Banned
I always choose female everything in every game that allows it for the last 15 years

gravely voice tough guys or smartass guys or whatever (the two main male protagonists) are soooo fucking dull

male bravado, macho crap, tough guy stuff, I hate all of it

FloatOn

I think you've hit on the divide between two kinds of game players:

Those who want to play an interactive story

and

Those who want to interactively create their own story through pre-defined, "choose your own adventure" type branching paths.

Gaming has recently been heavily leaning towards the latter audience. I am firmly in the camp of the former. That said, I got some massive enjoyment out of seeing my DA:I Inquisitor and Mass Effect Shepard appear in cutscenes and start talking and being a person. I don't think every game needs that, though. Not at all.

Right.

And to shift a game that was known for the former into the style of the latter just because it's trendy is shallow af.

Personally I'd be down with a Zelda game that retained it's visual identity but expanded on it's gameplay by allowing me to play as other Zelda characters like Sheik or Zelda herself.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
Oop.

The only saving grace for male Shepherd was his default appearance. Everything else was trash.

FemShep all the way.
It really made me mad that you can't choose default male Shepard's features in the character creator. Like, what the hell? WHY NOT???

I always choose female everything in every game that allows it for the last 15 years

gravely voice tough guys or smartass guys or whatever (the two main male protagonists) are soooo fucking dull

I don't actively hate it, but I'm not a huge fan of it. Which is why I prefer the generally more emotional male leads of Japanese games

SolVanderlyn

Honestly, male Shepard is not inferior because he is male, he is inferior because his customization options and voice acting are legitimately way worse

To be fair, no one has ever accused Link of being that :p

But you don't have to read very far to figure out that the reason why Link is named Link, why he's mute, is because he's supposed to be an avatar that the player feels linked to. The gender option fits perfectly in line with the intent of the series and is long overdue.

FloatOn

meh.... I guess it doesn't matter much. I'm not a huge a zelda fan anyway. I don't know why I'm arguing this.

Ocarina of Time sucked. Never bothered with Majora's Mask

Played Twilight Princess because I was curious about the Wii and that was basically OoT 2.0. Checked out on the series ever since.

Link to the Past reigns.

Jobbs

Banned

But you don't have to read very far to figure out that the reason why Link is named Link, why he's mute, is because he's supposed to be an avatar that the player feels linked to. The gender option fits perfectly in line with the intent of the series and is long overdue.

Yes of course. Like I was saying before, Link is totally an empty vessel. He doesn't offend me, he's by nature inoffensive... but I would love to have the choice to playa giiiirl. <3

meh.... I guess it doesn't matter much. I'm not a huge a zelda fan anyway. I don't know why I'm arguing this.

Ocarina of Time sucked. Never bothered with Majora's Mask

Played Twilight Princess because I was curious about the Wii and that was basically OoT 2.0. Checked out on the series ever since.

Link to the Past reigns.

ALTTP is my favorite, and of the 3D games Twilight Princess is the best.

I have a special connection to Zelda games because Zelda on NES was one of my first games ever... I was very small (I must have been 5 years old or whatever) and I watched my older brother and his friend play through it every day, and later played it myself. As time went I played all the games, but later on as we got further into the 3D era they lost me more by removing choice and exploration. I'm so excited for the new game because I think we'll have our exploration back.

Misha

Banned
Honestly, male Shepard is not inferior because he is male, he is inferior because his customization options and voice acting are legitimately way worse
When did anyone say his problem was being male? The voice acting is definitely the main thing. Completely makes him a worse character.

Not to say he's bad. He just feels like the bland character creator character that he is while better shep feels like the star of an AAA game. I actually include her in my lists of favorite female characters even though I usually think character creator characters shouldn't count

FloatOn

yeah okay. I concede further on this. This explanation actually makes sense.

I just grew up with my video game icons being one way and I hate for them to change for superfluous reasons

SolVanderlyn

I think Link should talk and Zelda should embrace its story.

*Pours oil on self to prepare for lynching*

I usually play characters of different species/races/genders from me. I've had a lifelong interest in women's fashion, so I'm sure that weighs heavily into it.

So...how is everyone today. Spent my day in Limerick so far.

Just spent the last 30 minutes helping a co-worker recording her vacation voicemail. I took a turn pretending to be her because she was giggling too much; my impersonation didn't help :(.

I think Link should talk and Zelda should embrace its story.

*Pours oil on self to prepare for lynching*

As long as we don't get any more characters like Fi, I'm down.

I just want Zelda to rip off Dark Souls in every regard

:: puts on flame suit ::

And to shift a game that was known for the former into the style of the latter just because it's trendy is shallow af

;)

I'm jesting. Dark Souls makes a great base for people to experiment with.

Jobbs

Banned
I just want Zelda to rip off Dark Souls in every regard

:: puts on flame suit ::

If it went somewhat in this direction I feel it could work really well. I always felt as though Dark Souls was sort of embracing a design MO that "could have been" what Zelda evolved into if Nintendo had more daring people at the top

Nintendo is piloted by dinosaurs who are very nearly ruining everything, it's such a shame because of the wasted opportunities. I still love Nintendo despite how shit they've been

Misha

Banned

And you're missing one point here that helps it more. Link isn't a he, Link is a they (as in plural, not gender neutral). It's not like a character is being changed at all. Almost every game has a different protagonist.
Heck Zelda has had a lot of variation in personality from game to game. She's very different in wind Waker, skyward sword, twilight princess, ocarina of time, and Minish cap. Consistent enough to fit the archetype but each is very much their own character. Ruins nothing

zeemumu

And to shift a game that was known for the former into the style of the latter just because it's trendy is shallow af

;)

Yeah but at the same time that'd piss off a lot of people. The closest we'll get is Twilight Princess.

MutFox

Banned
I'd rather have a game where you choose either Link or Zelda at the start.
They both play a bit differently and the puzzle solving changes depending who you choose.
(Shove Linkle in there if you want)

That way you have to play 2 times to play the whole game.

SolVanderlyn

As long as we don't get any more characters like Fi, I'm down.
Fi talked enough for like, thirty characters. I never want to see that again either, so I agree completely

FloatOn

If it went somewhat in this direction I feel it could work really well. I always felt as though Dark Souls was sort of embracing a design MO that "could have been" what Zelda evolved into if Nintendo had more daring people at the top

Nintendo is piloted by dinosaurs who are very nearly ruining everything, it's such a shame because of the wasted opportunities. I still love Nintendo despite how shit they've been

As someone who had their formative gaming years in the NES and SNES era it kills me that nintendo sucks so bad right now.

I so wish that the NX would be amazing and that nintendo actually makes the games that fans have been clamoring for

Even gaming messiah Dark Souls is feeling stale for me at this point (I have yet to beat Dark Souls 3). It's a solid idea like you said but it feels like nothing will capture the feeling of going through the original Dark Souls again.

MutFox

Banned
Was there a way to turn off the explanations every time you started the game?
(Skyward Sword)

The game babied you way too much.

Pau

You don't even have to change Link's appearance. His design is very adrogenous. (Hence people thinking that trailer had a female Link.) Just have the option for pronoun change. I mean, I can already give the character a female name. (And find it incredibly jarring when that option exists but then the pronoun is male.)

Jobbs

Banned
As someone who had their formative gaming years in the NES and SNES era it kills me that nintendo sucks so bad right now.

I so wish that the NX would be amazing and that nintendo actually makes the games that fans have been clamoring for

Yo

Some of you kids may not know this, but Nintendo was one of the pioneers of minimal open world gameplay. In the old games, you explored and figured things out on your own. You were in the driver's seat. That's how it used to be. Nintendo eventually morphed into a company that makes super cuddly self playing games that don't let the player do anything on their own, but that's not their legacy.

I hope to see a return to form. ALBW actually was a babystep in that direction, and while imperfect, gives me hope

You don't even have to change Link's appearance. His design is very adrogenous. (Hence people thinking that trailer had a female Link.) Just have the option for pronoun change. I mean, I can already give the character a female name.

no we need a breast slider

jk

SolVanderlyn

This is a total tangent, but I often wonder what children getting into games with the PS3/PS4 generation are going to view games like. Their idea of what makes a good game is likely to be totally different.

For our generation it was different, because we were the first and had nobody to compare ourselves to before, making our idea of games seem perfectly right. For them, it's not so. It's different in so many ways. I know the Atari generation was a thing, but games really blew up and evolved starting with the NES

Yeah but at the same time that'd piss off a lot of people. The closest we'll get is Twilight Princess.

The great sadness of Twilight Princess is that all the cool fighting moves are optional except the first one. They could have made it even more complex and interesting if you were forced to learn those new moves. :(

MutFox

Banned
You don't even have to change Link's appearance. His design is very adrogenous. (Hence people thinking that trailer had a female Link.) Just have the option for pronoun change. I mean, I can already give the character a female name. (And find it incredibly jarring when that option exists but then the pronoun is male.)

Link is pretty damn androgynous, I'd say they should not give them a sex.
Even NPC's shouldn't use he/she terms.

That way people can imagine what they like.

Or go a bit further, you can state they're a guy or a girl, (That way NPC's say he/she terms)
but don't change anything about the model.

Misha

Banned
This is a total tangent, but I often wonder what children getting into games with the PS3/PS4 generation are going to view games like. Their idea of what makes a good game is likely to be totally different.

For our generation it was different, because we were the first and had nobody to compare ourselves to before, making our idea of games seem perfectly right. For them, it's not so. It's different in so many ways. I know the Atari generation was a thing, but games really blew up and evolved starting with the NES
I feel like my younger age helped me have less interest in turn based RPGs and 2d Zeldas. I can enjoy some but I don't see what everyone gets so thrilled about. For example Final fantasy games looked like trash to me till XIII which at the very least is visually enjoyable

I am never working with the current bundle that I'm in ever again. Holy shit.

The great sadness of Twilight Princess is that all the cool fighting moves are optional except the first one. They could have made it even more complex and interesting if you were forced to learn those new moves. :(

Zelda has always been the franchise the has been afraid to add new things. I'm cautiously optimistic about the new one.

Jobbs

Banned
Link is pretty damn androgynous, I'd say they should not give them a sex.
Even NPC's shouldn't use he/she terms.

That way people can imagine what they like.

Or go a bit further, you can state they're a guy or a girl, (That way NPC's say he/she terms)
but don't change anything about the model.

I don't want to play a gender vague looking person. I want to play a girl. Stop removing choices for no reason other than "just because"

FloatOn

I think we should have a Metroid game that let's me play it as a FPS, TPS or side-scroller because my choice is better than the game developers choice

SolVanderlyn

I think we should have a Metroid game that let's me play it as a FPS, TPS or side-scroller because my choice is better than the game developers choice
Or just do them all at the same time

What a great game that was

latest

I feel like my younger age helped me have less interest in turn based RPGs and 2d Zeldas. I can enjoy some but I don't see what everyone gets so thrilled about. For example Final fantasy games looked like trash to me till XIII which at the very least is visually enjoyable
I might have turned out the same way if my best friend at the time never forced me to play FFVII and get me into JRPGs.

If somehow a game let you do that then your choice is the developer's choice. Sometimes choice is the design. Unless you're talking about mods of course.

SolVanderlyn

I prefer this but I also worry about female Link having shitty design tropes. :(
It's Nintendo. Rosalina is the worst you'll see from them
I love Rosalina

Oh wait Zero Suit Samus exists
who is also cool - not even "sexy," I just think she's cool

Misha

Banned
One thing I wanna say is that I don't want there to be link and there to be a new female characters that looks considerably different than link. There shouldn't be a default gender if you're allowing for options.

They should both be very similar to the current link but have slight variations.
I might have turned out the same way if my best friend at the time never forced me to play FFVII and get me into JRPGs.
I tried it and hated it. One of the ugliest games I've ever seen. Maybe the remake could get me interested

But I do play some jrpgs. More the monster collector types like Pokemon, persona, and digimon world/story

SolVanderlyn

If female Link has a flowing ponytail or otherwise cool and substantially different hair I may reconsider my stance on choosing their gender

Jobbs

Banned
I prefer this but I also worry about female Link having shitty design tropes. :(

What did you think of Linkle (aside from the name being stupid)?

tumblr_ng3emu89in1qe1vxio1_400.jpg

With respect to the gender option for Link, I hope they have some tasteful customization choices and kind of let me tailor things how I like. I love character customization.

zeemumu

I appreciated how well done the cutscenes were. Everything had a greater sense of weight to it.

Hmm, that would take an eternity to come out and I don't think a third person shooter is the best fit for Metroid. I'd rather have a continuation of Prime or Fusion. There are large gaps missing in the story.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom