• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FakeGAF 7: The Dark Thirst Rises

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vazra

irresponsible vagina leak
What did you think of Linkle (aside from the name being stupid)?

tumblr_ng3emu89in1qe1vxio1_400.jpg

With respect to the gender option for Link, I hope they have some tasteful customization choices and kind of let me tailor things how I like. I love character customization.
I liked Linkle being the opposite of link personality wise. It would be refreshing seeing a goofy overly confident hero in Zelda.

D

Deleted member 10571

Unconfirmed Member
What did you think of Linkle (aside from the name being stupid)?

tumblr_ng3emu89in1qe1vxio1_400.jpg

With respect to the gender option for Link, I hope they have some tasteful customization choices and kind of let me tailor things how I like. I love character customization.

hyrule-warriors-legends-linkle-art__large.jpg

Shows skin where male Link doesn't, why? Zettai Ryouiki, why? Using a fragile, lady-like mini crossbow instead of sword/shield, why? Cleara emphasis on female curvature, using "cute?" looking, way too big high boots with cute bows to finish it off.

I like her design, but I still think it's way more sexualized than it should be, compared to regular male Link, who is anything but clichéd "manly" clad. Maybe I'm completely wrong, but you asked :p A female Link would look perfectly fine in the look shown in the trailer, or in the traditional green garb.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
Linkle is sexualized? I don't think so at all, she looks like an elf ranger should. I actually like her design a lot.

Come to think of it, Pokemon added in male/female characters and even had the opposite gender play a rather large role in the story. I wouldn't mind if Zelda did that.

FloatOn

Hmm, that would take an eternity to come out and I don't think a third person shooter is the best fit for Metroid. I'd rather have a continuation of Prime or Fusion. There are large gaps missing in the story.

I wasn't being serious.

Games like all art should be designed with the specific love and attention it deserves. The artist should have a specific vision for their work and let me interpret it to how I see fit.

Misha

Banned
Shows skin where male Link doesn't, why? Zettai Ryouiki, why? Using a fragile, lady-like mini crossbow instead of sword/shield, why? Cleara emphasis on female curvature, using "cute?" looking, way too big high boots with cute bows to finish it off.

I like her design, but I still think it's way more sexualized than it should be, compared to regular male Link, who is anything but clichéd "manly" clad. Maybe I'm completely wrong, but you asked :p
You're not wrong.

I think she has a pretty good design overall. She just doesn't make sense as a female option of link.

something like alternate reality version she works but not if you choose between her and the current guy link

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
I wasn't being serious.

Games like all art should be designed with the specific love and attention it deserves. The artist should have a specific vision for their work and let me interpret it to how I see fit.
I agree with this entirely.

Misha

Banned
Linkle is sexualized? I don't think so at all, she looks like an elf ranger should. I actually like her design a lot.

Come to think of it, Pokemon added in male/female characters and even had the opposite gender play a rather large role in the story. I wouldn't mind if Zelda did that.
Whichever one you don't goose is the Zelda of that game imo

Well I can see some issues with that. Maybe the saria/malon/Ilia
Should Link be full on character customization?
Like choose gender, colour, build etc?
Gender and color. No more. Give some costume options and hairstyle options but make them within the design enough that it doesn't look wrong

SolVanderlyn

I've always wanted a sequel Zelda with the previous Link appearing as a mentor of sorts

TP did this with Skeletor-Link, but it was long after the fact, both chronologically and in an out of universe sense in how long it took to confirm that it was him, and his mysteriously tragic story was the most interesting part of that game

There's a whole story with Link being a descendent of Hylian knights and in some games he even has family members. It's one of the reasons I feel like his potential is wasted on being a literal link to the player. The very first chronological Link talked in the Skyward Sword manga and he was a really cool character.

I don't see Linkle as sexualized at all. Feminine isn't inherently sexual, and it's already super common for Link's legs to be exposed... so... yeah.

where is my option to play old link?

If you actually want that, start making noise about it.

Conversely, because virtually nobody is asking for that, it's pretty easy to infer that such an option would not be worth implementing.

zeemumu

that deep zelda lore is completely lost on me bro

Hero's Shade is the skeleton from Twilight Princess who teaches Link new moves. He's the ghost of the Hero of Time (Link from OoT and MM) and he's somewhat depressed about not being remembered as a hero since most of OoT didn't happen in his timeline and MM happened in an alternate universe so he's trying to make things write by teaching Twilight Princess Link his moves.

SolVanderlyn

Hero's Shade is the skeleton from Twilight Princess who teaches Link new moves. He's the ghost of the Hero of Time (Link from OoT and MM) and he's somewhat depressed about not being remembered as a hero since most of OoT didn't happen in his timeline and MM happened in an alternate universe so he's trying to make things write by teaching Twilight Princess Link his moves.
He also lost an eye at some point and I think it's implied he joined the knighthood (via the armor he's wearing) and ultimately wasn't appreciated as anything special

FloatOn

Conversely, because virtually nobody is asking for that, it's pretty easy to infer that such an option would not be worth implementing.

I've seen you use this rationale a few times now. I think it's error to think mass appeal equals what is best.

There are times where someone takes a risk and makes something that goes against the grain and sets the trend.

SolVanderlyn

I feel really bad for Hero of Time. He got the shittiest deal of any of the Link's.
Zelda 1/2 Link had to live in the darkest part of the darkest timeline, so while his eventual fate was kinder to him he lived in the worst world.

I've seen you use this rationale a few times now. I think it's error to think mass appeal equals what is best.

There are times where someone takes a risk and makes something that goes against the grain and sets the trend.
One of you is arguing artistic integrity, while the other is arguing business. Oil and water.

Jobbs

Banned
Who would have thought we'd get female ghostbusters before female link female doctor who or female 007

I feel completely like I'm on another planet isolated from everyone else because I don't give a shit about Ghostbusters, I never thought the original movies were interesting, and I don't give a shit about if the Ghostbusters are women or not

My only small connection to Ghostbusters is the Saturday cartoon they had when I was a kid, which I watched with my brothers. We danced in our socks to the awesome theme song

FloatOn

I feel completely like I'm on another planet isolated from everyone else because I don't give a shit about Ghostbusters, I never thought the original movies were interesting, and I don't give a shit about if the Ghostbusters are women or not

My only small connection to Ghostbusters is the Saturday cartoon they had when I was a kid, which I watched with my brothers. We danced in our socks to the awesome theme song

I think everyone has that with things. Not everyone can be into everything afterall.

I have basically zero affection for anything anime, or wrestling or dnd or most sports

Misha

Banned

The series only was an excuse for the actors to do stuff, as is most comedies. That's why it seemes more out of the blue. Weird to reboot it in general.

I definitely am not against it though. Kate McKinnon looks awesome

kankki

Senior Project Lead, NX Hardware Design at Nintendo of Europe
I've been lurking here a while, this thread is really interesting putting a face on all gaffers :D Though, realpics seem a bit sparse as of late, no?

Just got myself fake bookshelf wallpapers ^^

Gnq5bSI.jpg

zeemumu

Zelda 1/2 Link had to live in the darkest part of the darkest timeline, so while his eventual fate was kinder to him he lived in the worst world.

Yeah but Hero of Time had to see some shit. Future OoT Hyrule isn't much better than LoZ 1/2 Hyrule. Termina's no paradise either but at least the townspeople are alive. Most of them, anyway...

SolVanderlyn

Yeah but Hero of Time had to see some shit. Future OoT Hyrule isn't much better than LoZ 1/2 Hyrule. Termina's no paradise either but at least the townspeople are alive. Most of them, anyway...
This is true.

I think Hyrule Warriors Link is the only one confirmed to have actually joined Hyrule's guard.

I know that game isn't canon but you could pretty easily make it canon.
The others are so ambiguous that they could become anything.

I really wonder what LttP's Link became. He went on the most adventures (LttP, Ages, Seasons, and Link's Awakening if you count that as one) and has a descendent in AlbW (if you consider that Link to be his blood relative) but is hardly mentioned in AlbW at all.

What about cyberpunk Link

give me a god damn light saber master sword
Nintendo would never take this risk. Not for a while. It would be awesome, though.

Pau

I've been lurking here a while, this thread is really interesting putting a face on all gaffers :D Though, realpics seem a bit sparse as of late, no?

Just got myself fake bookshelf wallpapers ^^

Gnq5bSI.jpg
We normally do the real pic avatars in January!

One of my life goals is for my walls to be covered with actual shelves filled with books.

kankki

Senior Project Lead, NX Hardware Design at Nintendo of Europe
We normally do the real pic avatars in January!

One of my life goals is for my walls to be covered with actual shelves.

Ooh okay, missed that. These look extremely convincing when you look from outside the house :D

@Vazra

MqxZxTlvcY5BS.gif

zeemumu

This is true.

The others are so ambiguous that they could become anything.

I really wonder what LttP's Link became. He went on the most adventures (LttP, Ages, Seasons, and Link's Awakening if you count that as one) and has a descendent in AlbW (if you consider that Link to be his blood relative) but is hardly mentioned in AlbW at all.

Most Links seem to share the initial characteristic of being lazy as shit until things go bad. Maybe he called it a day and went back to bed

ludacris-i-got-this.gif

Mass appeal is the best. That's not even what I've been arguing up until this point, but now that you bring it up I will. You can't objectively measure how good a game is. You can only measure how much people like it, how many people like it, and how much money it makes. So the only way a game can be called good is if people like it a lot, a lot of people like it, or it makes a lot of money. Those are the things that are good about games. So yes, mass appeal makes something the best.

And I'm sorry if that upsets your hipster sensibilities. I'm sorry you're over in your corner not having fun with the rest of us. Your opinions aren't worth more than the opinions of other people. Everyone's opinion has the same merit. Therefore, mass appeal is an extreme indicator of what the best is.

It might not have the tightest gameplay. It might not have the most compelling script. It might not have the most memorable fight encounters. It might not have the cleverest puzzle design. You might be able to pull anything from it and find something to complain about. That's irrelevant. If people like it, people like it. That's what makes something good.

And don't give me shit about common denominators or how something in mass appeal can't ever reach the heights of whatever indie auteur effort crap you're having a wet dream about. Because the same way you get weepy emotional over a Hans Zimmer concert there are people whose life dream was to be at the Zelda orchestra. There are people so in love with the Zelda franchise they just draw fanart all day, or get tattoos and do cosplay. There are people more passionate about Zelda than you've ever been passionate about anything.

Also, you can't seriously argue that going against the grain is good when you're the grain that's being gone against. The trend is generic male character. Wow. Such risk. Very bold.

Sol said investing time in a female option would be a waste of developer time, and you agreed with that point. So we showed you that no, a lot of people would be very excited by the inclusion and would make it worth the developer's while. Maybe the Zelda developers have wanted a gender option for ages and didn't realize people would be hip to it. Maybe it never occurred to them before or they couldn't think of a good way to do it, but the rousing of crowds jogged their minds until they thought of a good design for it. Bottom line, if they put it in the game because they think they found a good way to do so, you can't fault them for that.

And the same goes for old Link. Except obviously, of course, duh, old Link would be much harder to fit into the game's narrative than female Link, and also obviously it's not something most people want. Which you knew, you're just being facetious because this bothers you on some irrational level and you don't have any cogent arguments to make.

Oh boo hoo. People want an option in a game that's easy to implement and doesn't change how the game plays or unfolds. If you want to use the male instance and name your character Link and name your horse Epona, good for you. Not everyone wants that experience. You can love Zelda games without being attached to Link's gender.

D

Deleted member 10571

Unconfirmed Member
Lili, sometimes it's really hard to not fall in love with you!

Metaphorically!

also vaz that pic is legit adorbs

SolVanderlyn

It might not have the tightest gameplay. It might not have the most compelling script. It might not have the most memorable fight encounters. It might not have the cleverest puzzle design. You might be able to pull anything from it and find something to complain about. That's irrelevant. If people like it, people like it. That's what makes something good.
The rest of your argument holds weight and makes a lot of sense, but this is a flawed segment of it. People - LOTS of people simultaneously - are prone to liking or approving of things that are harmful in some way in the long run. There is some substance to Float's argument of artistic integrity superseding mass appeal. I do agree that indie auteurs aren't the say-all, do-all, be-all of standards, nor should they be, but I don't think Float is treading into that territory yet.

In the end, female Link isn't going to change much of anything. There are far more substantial changes being made in other games, and other trends that are more harmful or impactful in some way that are becoming prevalent, that this discussion is delving so far into matter of concept that it's become removed from the initial discussion that it's trying to tie itself to.

I'm against the gender decision option, but if it's added, this is how much I will care:

Very slightly upset, even prone to warming up to the idea

Jobbs

Banned
At this point if there is no gender choice I'll be more than slightly upset. It's so natural and so logical and so without a viable counter argument that it's exclusion would be baffling, stupid shit nonsense.

D

Deleted member 10571

Unconfirmed Member
At this point if there is no gender choice I'll be more than slightly upset. It's so natural and so logical and so without a viable counter argument that it's exclusion would be baffling, stupid shit nonsense.

Me too, but to be fair, the fandom talked itself into this. There wasn't even a _hint_ of a gender selection/customizing by Nintendo, except maybe the appearance of Linkle.

Vazra

irresponsible vagina leak

Not everything needs to be what people want. People should learn that they cant always have what they want and they shouldn't have all the control they think they should have in the development.

Jobbs

Banned
Me too, but to be fair, the fandom talked itself into this. There wasn't even a _hint_ of a gender selection/customizing by Nintendo, except maybe the appearance of Linkle.

I've wanted it for more than a decade. Speak for yourself bafbaf

SolVanderlyn

The rare moment FakeGAF reminds you that you are, in fact, still on NeoGAF.com talking with gaffers

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom