• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FakeGAF 7: The Dark Thirst Rises

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jobbs

Banned
Candy sculpting. I want to try this. Who wants to do this with me?

cNelrHV.gif

PCP.

:: you have a dissociative experience ::

Japanese Candy Sculpting

PCP

...I don't understand

Transhuman may not be your best source of factual information.

...fair point

Workers rights aren't bad in the US at all. I however, you have to remember that the US is a federation so it varies greatly from state to state.

Whenever I've spoken to people about these things I've always heard that they get very few days of annual leave, very few (if any) paid for sick days, and like...no paid for maternity leave. I might be wrong on this, I'm always willing to admit that I've made a mistake, but from what I've heard shit is bad

Ew noooooooo

Misha

Banned
Workers rights aren't bad in the US at all. I however, you have to remember that the US is a federation so it varies greatly from state to state.
I'd say our culture is generally worse than our actual rights. Wouldn't matter if you got more vacation or something, people still wouldn't take it because they'd be afraid of being seen as lazy and losing promotions to someone else.
But for things that could have a feasible impact, minimum wage could stand to go up more (probably not to $15) and for lgbt people to be protected nationwide

Doesn't help that healthcare is tied to your employer. Shouldnt be considered "workers rights" in the first place
Whenever I've spoken to people about these things I've always heard that they get very few days of annual leave, very few (if any) paid for sick days, and like...no paid for maternity leave. I might be wrong on this, I'm always willing to admit that I've made a mistake, but from what I've heard shit is bad
It isn't great for hourly workers but see above. Even when vacation days and stuff happen, they can affect the company's perception of you and even though it's available it might make things worse on you.
The dream for everyone is to stumble on a salaried job and not have to worry about most of that junk anymore. Though you still have to have 45+ he work weeks etc.

Not like it helps much but things were way suckier 30 years ago. My grandfather's company got bought out just so the new parent company could take all the money out of the pension fund and liquidate the smaller company. It really hurt his ability to retire

Seems John Oliver did a thing on retirement plans. Idk if that's related but probably worth a watch regardless

T

Transhuman

Unconfirmed Member
I mean health plans aren't too big a thing here because of the NHS, and sick days are more to do with the UK having semi-decent workers rights. I consider myself lucky for being born here, doesn't have too much to do with my job, though I'm super grateful for that as well. I'm always stunned by how shitty worker's rights are in America, are things bad in Australia too?

They're o.k but with my job you can only apply through a recruitment agency the company doesn't do direct hiring which means they pretty much own you and can let you go at a moment's notice, no sick leave holiday leave.

Transhuman may not be your best source of factual information.

I am a font of wizdom.

Ew noooooooo

I'll say anything to make you love me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k3LxyiW7-o8

w3RQmTkl.jpg

Ceallach

Smells like fresh rosebuds
Notch is a dick, but so is Jonathan Blow. Like I wish they could just cancel each other out.

Artists' impression
nerd-fight-gif.gif

Misha

Banned
Notch is such a fucking dickhead.

If I ever get (more) rich and famous, remind me not to be an insufferable cunt.
Well yes. But he's right. (Assuming you meant the John blow thing). Zero reason to fault the game industry. It's more of a damning reflection of our culture as a whole.

Also braid involved violence. I don't care if it's "monsters" you're killing, lighting a cat on fire is still a horrifying concept Irl even though it's not the same as killing a person

Jobbs

Banned
What did he do this time?

I was reading Jonathan Blow's overly reductionist, self satisfied, cockfaced tweets and reflecting on what a smug asshole he is when I strayed into Notch's feed and was confronted by what an asshole he is. If rising to the top makes you an asshole I hope I never rise to the top!

I swear I'm not trying to be negative

Notch is a dick, but so is Jonathan Blow. Like I wish they could just cancel each other out.

Artists' impression
nerd-fight-gif.gif

lol you get it!!!!

T

Transhuman

Unconfirmed Member
Notch is such a fucking dickhead.

If I ever get (more) rich and famous, remind me not to be an insufferable cunt.

Compared to Ghandi? You're holding him up to an extremely high standard.

Blow just said "Fuck game studios" and Persson said "no, fuck you". Not a controversy.

My parents didn't even know about the attempt in Cali. I was afraid to talk about it any further though cause I was afraid of hearing how their lifestyle asked for it.
I mean not that I've ever heard my parents say that before but recently, I don't know

I'm sorry you have to deal with that sort of shit, I can't imagine how awful it must feel to be worried about what your parents are going to say about something that relates to you in such a way :c

because he's white as darn?
Are you all forgetting that I am the Pale King? Gawd

Xiao Hu

because he's white as darn?

Yes, she's also a pale princess and bitchy as fuck.

I'm not that ugly in person. I swear!

When I was giving this little fella his share of love for tonight, she would constantly come to me and demand to be pet or even hiss at the kitten. And when I reached out to pet her she would change her mind and run away. Jutmst like you.

T

Transhuman

Unconfirmed Member
I already didn't like these two penises for many other reasons before this dumb exchange

If someone is ever in the public view unless they're completely unopinionated and demure, eventually they're going to say some shit that someone will take offense to, and if that's ever your fate you'll wish that the public was as reticent to you as I to them.

Misha

Banned
I'm sorry you have to deal with that sort of shit, I can't imagine how awful it must feel to be worried about what your parents are going to say about something that relates to you in such a way :c
it just seems like at some point they lost their self awareness. Most I remember ever happening of this before was a New Years thing on tv where my dad called "transvestites" "disgusting" and then some time after that my sister was mocking lgbt people on tv and I gave her a dirty look and she kept back pedaling but it never got good. She's the kind tho that just parrots things without considering anything about them. She's going to a super liberal college now and if I can find a way to get her to listen to at least feminism, I'd love to

Now it seems to come up once a week. Would probably be more often if I wasn't afraid to hear it more.

T

Transhuman

Unconfirmed Member
My mother and father are only slightly bigoted but my relationships with them are closer to that of relatives than family so their prejudice doesn't really bother me because there's no feelings to betray.

D

Deleted member 10571

Unconfirmed Member
wait i missed it, trab what happened this time? Why the long face?

Jobbs

Banned
it just seems like at some point they lost their self awareness. Most I remember ever happening of this before was a New Years thing on tv where my dad called "transvestites" "disgusting" and then some time after that my sister was mocking lgbt people on tv and I gave her a dirty look and she kept back pedaling but it never got good. She's the kind tho that just parrots things without considering anything about them. She's going to a super liberal college now and if I can find a way to get her to listen to at least feminism, I'd love to

Now it seems to come up once a week. Would probably be more often if I wasn't afraid to hear it more.

Do your parents and sister know that you are lgbt?

Misha

Banned
Do your parents and sister know that you are lgbt?
Maybe. Like I haven't told them or anything but my dad has access to my internet history and my mom might have seen things in my room when she went to give me laundry and for whatever reason my dad has been concerned about it since I was like 4 so he might know something otherwise

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.

FloatOn

Technically anyone who has access to your router's administrative tools has that ability.

Yeah probably a coincidence but when I made that connection I found it really amusing

I don't want to be intrusive because it seems as though you are intentionally vague and I'm sure that is for a reason but I'm still a bit confused over your situation.

Are you having trouble telling people you are gay or trans? both?

I honestly have no idea and I'm sorry for not being as observant as I probably should be. I just want a better understanding so that I could be more supportive.

Misha

Banned
I guess I just assumed your dad was as technically incompetent as mine lol.
He knows more than the average person abut isn't a tech genius or anything. Like for this he uses open dns and is capable of looking stuff up to know how it works
But like I said, I'm not sure he's even doing it. I just know he's capable
Misha that blows. I'm so sorry to hear your family is that way

Unrelated but... holy shit missandei
Sometimes I wonder how I came from this family.
Its weird cause even when I was ignorant of a lot of things I reject getting this feeling in my gut that said "this is wrong" so even if I disagreed with w/e I knew to be respectful. I don't see that happening with my family unfortunately
I don't want to be intrusive because it seems as though you are intentionally vague and I'm sure that is for a reason but I'm still a bit confused over your situation.

Are you having trouble telling people you are gay or trans? both?

I honestly have no idea and I'm sorry for not being as observant as I probably should be. I just want a better understanding so that I could be more supportive.
I'm not even bothering to tell family that I'm anything. As of now my options in my head are live my life how I want it on my own and humor them for family stuff or just go my own way all together. I don't see why I should have to subject myself to how that would inevitably end up
Also I'm bi :p

FloatOn

I'm not even bothering to tell family that I'm anything. As of now my options in my head are live my life how I want it on my own and humor them for family stuff or just go my own way all together. I don't see why I should have to subject myself to how that would inevitably end up
Also I'm bi :p

both sound like solid options. I basically refuse to have any kind of conversation with my family when it comes to politics. some times it really is better to just "play nice"

and thanks for clearing that up. for some reason I was thinking you were trans

Misha

Banned
Can you use the Tor browser or a VPN while you are still at home?
Idk. I didn't know about that stuff at the time and it's too late already. I should be moving out by the end of the month anyway
both sound like solid options. I basically refuse to have any kind of conversation with my family when it comes to politics. some times it really is better to just "play nice"

and thanks for clearing that up. for some reason I was thinking you were trans
I wish it was just politics

No I am trans(tbh I still hate saying that for some reason), I meant that I'm not gay.

DrM

Redmond's Baby
After a nice session of Doom, I feel much better.

I have scheduled mandatory 'am I able to work' check at doctor tomorrow. I will whine as much as I can about my back pain.

FloatOn

I wish it was just politics

No I am trans(tbh I still hate saying that for some reason), I meant that I'm not gay.

yeah I know my plight pales in comparison but it's sadly the closest thing I have to relate with.

and I can certainly understand why the trans label would be bothersome. Would it just be better to use the pronoun for the gender that you wish to be indentified as?

Xiao Hu

No...
Other way around. I'm out on gaf so I've been using my actual gender here

Ok, got it
yeah I know my plight pales in comparison but it's sadly the closest thing I have to relate with.

and I can certainly understand why the trans label would be bothersome. Would it just be better to use the pronoun for the gender that you wish to be indentified as?

Plus this.

Misha

Banned

Keep doing what you have been doing so far. Haven't had any issues :)

For me the concept of trans is like being born in a different state. It's not really something that matters 90% of the time but occasionally it's relevant to the conversation. Really all it tells people is the context behind your experiences. (Well ideally. Obviously that's not possible with a lot of people)
That's why it's weird for me to use it as a identifier. I know other people find it to be a huge part of their identify but to me it's just where you came from rather than who you are

And that's not to say avoid bringing it up, just no reason to make a big deal about it
Hmmm, I was always referring to Misha as she without knowing her background so practically nothing changes for me.
That's kinda the point :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom