• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FakeGAF 7: The Dark Thirst Rises

Status
Not open for further replies.

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
It's a culture issue.

Same reason why in a country like Switzerland that has absolutely NO gun control, and in fact issues it's adults automatic rifles (sig 550), have no mass shootings.
TRIGGERED

Swiss citizens own plenty of guns, but they are also subject to some regulations that would make American conservatives shit their pants. For starters, all firearms must be stored in a safe, owners must pass stringent evaluation checks, endure proper firearms training and renew their licenses. Weapons are also registered to their owners, who cannot sell them as they please, as transactions are thoroughly documented. You also need to identify yourself when purchasing ammunition. Also, you need a firearms permit in order to purchase ammunition.

All of these policies closely mirror those of the rest of Europe and ensure that it's extremely difficult for criminals and unstable people to get a firearm. They also nip straw sellers at the bud, which are the main source of the firearms used by criminals in the United States.

Furthermore, in the case of state-issued firearms (read: army guns), you are not even allowed to open one of your ammunition tins without approval. Do that and you'll find yourself in deep shit.

Oh, gee. I wonder why the Switzerland's gun crime rates are so low. Maybe it's because THEY HAVE FUCKING SENSIBLE FIREARMS REGULATIONS.

Jobbs

Banned
This is perfect. And exactly what I am saying. You need to regulate people!

Oh and I own a Beretta 92FS with a 30 round extended mag. 4 magazines is 120 rounds and it takes me less than 2 seconds to reload.

I think magazines above a certain capacity should absolutely be banned. It's common sense. And I know you think it's easy to build your own magazine, but most our killers aren't you. They're just crazy idiots/losers who go buy a gun and kill people

This genius in Orlando just went out and bought the AR15 shortly before the incident (IIRC). You think he was some kind of gun tech who would have crafted his own high capacity magazines if the ones at the store had too low a capacity? He was just a fucking loser.

Xiao Hu

My daughter has never met her father. He waived all his legal rights to her and has no interest in her at all. So I'm gonna get questions from her about him. She's about the age where she is gonna question more

I'm quite familiar with the situation since I have never met my father. It's a heavy burden on you and her, and even I see myself imagining how my life could have been if there was a father. With age you come to realize that 'men' like those who leave their children and the responsibilities, burdening the other parent financially and emotionally aren't fit to be fathers in the first place. She will also grow into appreciating you for being a strong woman and a lovely mother who doesn't take shit from anyone. That is long-term at least.

Do you have brothers or other male relatives that could step in as a fatherly figure?

Misha

Banned
One thing I don't know about gun control is once someone no longer fits the criteria for someone who is allowed to own goes would the government literally come to take their gins away? Cause I can't think of another instance of something where ownership is the issue rather than operation

Jobbs

Banned
Out of interest

What are the advantages of owning a gun?

Why is the ability to own a gun something to be defended with so much vigour?

Pretty much because america is full of rednecks whose lives are so pointless that guns are super important. ie, they just like them a lot. that's about it.

I'll concede that the vast majority of these rednecks don't go out and murder people with their guns, but they're the enablers. This culture is what makes our laws impossible to change, which is what enables all of this violence

(I'll also note that not every gun owner is a dumbass redneck, in case it sounded that way)

Ceallach

Smells like fresh rosebuds
I'm quite familiar with the situation since I have never met my father. It's a heavy burden on you and her, and even I see myself imagining how my life could have been if there was a father. With age you come to realize that 'men' like those who leave their children and the responsibilities, burdening the other parent financially and emotionally aren't fit to be fathers in the first place. She will also grow into appreciating you for being a strong woman and a lovely mother who doesn't take shit from anyone. That is long-term at least.

Do you have brothers or other male relatives that could step in as a fatherly figure?
Nooe. I have two sisters. One older, or even younger.

Rest of my family is all in the UK and Ireland.

Ceallach

Pretty much because america is full of rednecks whose lives are so pointless that guns are super important. ie, they just like them a lot. that's about it.

I'll concede that the vast majority of these rednecks don't go out and murder people with their guns, but they're the enablers. This culture is what makes our laws impossible to change, which is what enables all of this violence

You sound just as ridiculous as they do, just on the other extreme.

One thing I don't know about gun control is once someone no longer fits the criteria for someone who is allowed to own goes would the government literally come to take their gins away? Cause I can't think of another instance of something where ownership is the issue rather than operation
Yes. You are forced to legally turn them over or you will be arrested and all weapons seized.

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
Out of interest

What are the advantages of owning a gun?

Why is the ability to own a gun something to be defended with so much vigour?

They are fun.

They are used in internationally recognized competitions across a variety of disciplines.

They instill a fake sense of safety among people living in first world developed countries where you are likelier to die from a fire than a home invasion gone bad.

Some people think they King will come out to get 'em if they don't own one.

Jobbs

Banned

Yes. You are forced to legally turn them over or you will be arrested and all weapons seized.

What's inaccurate about it? Your replies mostly boil down to ignoring the substance of what I say and calling me ignorant or whatever.

If I speak in incendiary terms it's because people are dying every day and lives are at stake and I can mainly trace the reason down to "because people think guns are cool".

Congress isn't willing to budge even on basic BASIC shit like universal background checks, even as the body count mounts. Directly following sandy hook when emotions around gun deaths were the highest they've ever been and sympathies were the highest they've ever been congress still was unwilling to budge on it. Why is that? Right after Sandy Hook people (such as the NRA guy) were saying we needed MORE guns in schools. Why is that the level of our discourse? It's cultural. Aka "the rednecks enable this" is maybe a bit reductionist/incendiary, but it's based on something that's basically true.

Ceallach

What's inaccurate about it? Your replies mostly boil down to ignoring the substance of what I say and calling me ignorant or whatever.

If I speak in incendiary terms it's because people are dying every day and lives are at stake and I can mainly trace the reason down to "because people think guns are cool".

Congress isn't willing to budge even on basic BASIC shit like universal background checks, even as the body count mounts. Directly following sandy hook when emotions around gun deaths were the highest they've ever been and sympathies were the highest they've ever been congress still was unwilling to budge on it. Why is that? Right after Sandy Hook people (such as the NRA guy) were saying we needed MORE guns in schools. Why is that the level of our discourse? It's cultural. Aka "the rednecks enable this" is maybe a bit reductionist/incendiary, but it's based on something that's basically true.

You haven't been reading what I have been saying at all. I am for gun control. But focusing on the weapons is the wrong place to focus efforts. You need to control how people get the guns. You need to control how people are trained and how their arms are controlled. It doesn't matter what calibre or what size magazine someone has if you can ensure that the wrong people don't get them.

And no, the vast majority of gun owners are sane, rational people, not rednecks.

They are fun.

They are used in internationally recognized competitions across a variety of disciplines.

They instill a fake sense of safety among people living in first world developed countries where you are likelier to die from a fire than a home invasion gone bad.

Some people think they King will come out to get 'em if they don't own one.

So 3 really fucking bad reasons and 1 reason that I'm pretty sure doesn't need real ammo and real guns.

Cool.

Jobbs

Banned
And no, the vast majority of gun owners are sane, rational people, not rednecks.

That sounds quite possible but wasn't my point at all. (I'm a gun owner)

I was citing the rednecks (which is a bit reductionist, I admit) as the reason for why we have so many guns and why it's so easy to get them.

The ignorant/redneck/gun nut culture is why congress is frozen on the matter and unwilling to budge. That we couldn't even get background checks following sandyhook is evidence of a major cultural problem.

Misha

Banned

I can't see any other way to do it but I'd imagine it would cause issues to apply more restrictions to people who shouldn't be owning guns in the first place. Plays right into the rhetoric of the people who are unwilling to give an inch

Ceallach

That sounds quite possible but wasn't my point at all. (I'm a gun owner)

I was citing the rednecks (which is a bit reductionist, I admit) as the reason for why we have so many guns and why it's so easy to get them.

The ignorant/redneck/gun nut culture is why congress is frozen on the matter and unwilling to budge. That we couldn't even get background checks following sandyhook is evidence of a major cultural problem.
The NRA is the problem. They are massive, and they are a good old boys club that has deep pockets and funnel a lot of money to the gop.

Jobbs

Banned
The NRA is the problem. They are massive, and they are a good old boys club that has deep pockets and funnel a lot of money to the gop.

And the NRA is massive because of a culture of ignorance. They would be nothing without their members and fees.

Redmecks can be responsible gun owners fwiw but a lot definitely aren't. I'll never understand the need to shoot a shotgun in the air to celebrate something

Yes, and if you look back to my first redneck post I already outlined all of this. I said most rednecks aren't shooting anyone, but it's their ignorance that ultimately disallows any legislation.

You can trace it all down to a culture of ignorance, and "rednecks" is shorthand for this.

Misha

Banned
Redmecks can be responsible gun owners fwiw but a lot definitely aren't. I'll never understand the need to shoot a shotgun in the air to celebrate something

Ceallach

And the NRA is massive because of a culture of ignorance. They would be nothing without their members and fees.
Their members and fees aren't really anything. It's their corporate donors where the majority of their funding comes from. 99% of NRA members are irrelevant.

It's their network of very powerful corrupt personnel that is the problem.

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
In all fairness, guns can also be used for pest control, disposing of sick/injured animals (they even make specially silenced guns for this purpose) and hunting.

I know that some people scoff at hunting as a legitimate activity, but you shouldn't confuse hunting for leisure with the kind that puts food on your table. Part of my family is as rural as it gets and hunt for food.

A single boar (which are a huge, dangerous pest here) or deer will feed a family of four for weeks. I still have some glorious wild boar chorizo in my fridge.

Chuckie

I used to remember the time when FakeGAF was not about guns.

But since it is...I did some clay pigeon shooting with a shotgun in Ireland. It was fun.

Misha

Banned
In all fairness, guns can also be used for pest control, disposing of sick/injured animals (they even make specially silenced guns for this purpose) and hunting.

I know that some people scoff at hunting as a legitimate activity, but you shouldn't confuse hunting for leisure with the kind that puts food on your table. Part of my family is as rural as it gets and hunt for food.

A single boar (which are a huge, dangerous pest here) or deer will feed a family of four for weeks. I still have some glorious wild boar chorizo in my fridge.
We absolutely need guns to control animal populations. As it stands we even get suckers hunters to pay for the opportunity to do it

Jobbs

Banned

Over 300 million guns in america

I wonder what % are used for an actual practical purpose (as opposed to sports, dick waving, dick making up for, etc)? 1% maybe? Sub 1%?

I'm guessing not that many are used for hunting for survival. Just a hunch

Also you only need a very simple rifle or shotgun to hunt a boar

Granadier

Is currently on Stage 1: Denial regarding the service game future
Guns need to be controlled more strictly and regulated up the ass. (Spain, Switzerland)
Also the NRA needs to be banned from campaign funding.

marrec

Banned

I'm one of those "I hate guns" guys but without them my grandpa's cows would have been harassed to death by coyotes every year. They're too smart for traps and poisoning them would probably kill other critters so you have to shoot them.

Plus, New Mexico would give you a bounty for their hides.

So, while I hate guns, I do understand some necessity for them.

I wonder what % are used for an actual practical purpose (as opposed to sports, dick waving, dick making up for, etc)? 1% maybe? Sub 1%?

Obviously it depends on where you live. Rural areas probably have a much higher practical use of guns than you'd imagine.

But getting away from this,

I'm in diversity training right now and it is mind numbing.

I've always heard about diversity training but never taken it? What does it involve? Talking about diversity?

Jobbs

Banned
I'm one of those "I hate guns" guys but without them my grandpa's cows would have been harassed to death by coyotes every year. They're too smart for traps and poisoning them would probably kill other critters so you have to shoot them.

Plus, New Mexico would give you a bounty for their hides.

So, while I hate guns, I do understand some necessity for them.

Obviously it depends on where you live. Rural areas probably have a much higher practical use of guns than you'd imagine.

I've always heard about diversity training but never taken it? What does it involve? Talking about diversity?

Look at this guy killing a coyote. See all the bullets in the magazine? YOu need that many because it's teh end boss coyote and he has a ton of hp

P1380627-900x601.jpg

Ceallach

It doesn't matter what they are used for. It isn't your business or my business what someone does with so.etching they personally own legally.

But honestly, I generally don't believe in government regulation of individuals. Like if you wanna do heroin have fun.

I think government needs to focus more on larger things, I feel individuals are massively over regulated and corporations massively under regulated.

marrec

Banned
Okay, and let those farmers or whatever have their double barrel shotgun or bolt action rifle or whatever and go to town on the coyotes

Everyone wins

We needed sidearms too, hard to pull a rifle or shotgun on something that gets a jump on you while you're out fixing a fence in the dark.

Misha

Banned

Most hunting is still practical even though it's not used for survival. I'd say 80% of people that use guns (not own, not including people that never touch theirs) where I live use them for some form of hunting

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4

I agree with most of your post, but here's where I don't. It really depends on your definition of "simple".

I would absolutely NOT dare to hunt boar with a single shooter. A hurting boar is an engine of destruction with tusks like knives. It will fuck you up and/or your dogs. You may need to be able to take several shots in quick succession if the first one doesn't drop it.

Of course, you also have crazy people like my uncle, who used to hunt boar with nothing but a large knife. Dogs would get the boar pinned down and then he'd jump on it to slash its throat. But not everybody is as batshit insane to do that (and he lost a few dogs that way).

We needed sidearms too, hard to pull a rifle or shotgun on something that gets a jump on you while you're out fixing a fence in the dark.
IIRC Germany also allows hunters to carry sidearms to put out injuried game, as you can't really shoot a rifle or a shotgun from a short distance without risking injury from a ricocheted projectile. Meanwhile, animals are left to die a slow death or dangerously put to the knife in here due to silly regulations.

FloatOn

I'm in 100% agreement on Jobbs on this one. Nothing more to say really.

Anyway I actually remembered my dream last night! fakegaf is my good luck charm.

In the dream I was a business seminar held at this fancy hotel. All the people that were there for the seminar were told to get breakfast at this restaurant in the hotel. There was a line for the various groups to be seated and standing in front of me was this pretty business lady. A flirtatious interaction took place. She told me to text her so that she could have my number... I texted her a ^_^ emoticon

then I woke up.

Jobbs

Banned
I agree with most of your post, but here's where I don't. It really depends on your definition of "simple".

I would absolutely NOT dare to hunt boar with a single shooter. A hurting boar is an engine of destruction with tusks like knives. It will fuck you up and/or your dogs. You may need to be able to take several shots in quick succession if the first one doesn't drop it.

Of course, you also have crazy people like my uncle, who used to hunt boar with nothing but a large knife. Dogs would get the boar pinned down and then he'd jump on it to slash its throat. But not everybody is as batshit insane to do that (and he lost a few dogs that way).

That boar is coming right for me!

ulBmA0u.jpg

marrec

Banned
I'm just saying, I loath guns just as much as you Jobbs, but there is a logical middle ground we can meet in that should include a focus on changing the culture of gun ownership rather than simply taking away everyone's guns right?

Most hunting is still practical even though it's not used for survival. I'd say 80% of people that use guns (not own, not including people that never touch theirs) where I live use them for some form of hunting

A lot of people where I'm from also use them recreationally as well as for hunting, which is concerning for me personally.

I understand the thrill of target shooting or clay pigeon shooting though, so it's hard to criticize them unless/until they start being irresponsible. :(

Jobbs

Banned
I'm just saying, I loath guns just as much as you Jobbs, but there is a logical middle ground we can meet in that should include a focus on changing the culture of gun ownership rather than simply taking away everyone's guns right?

The middle ground is limiting magazines to like 9 shots or less, for starters. Anything more is contraband and owning or dealing or building it would get you jail time.

Tell me with a straight face that isn't good enough to kill a coyote. If it isn't, practice more

I know it's apparently easy to fabrictae your own magazines prior to your shooting spree, but I have my doubts about just how many people can and would do this, especially among those who are doing these killings

Ceallach

You did. So tell us what diversity training is. Because I haven't got a clue whatsoever.
Well. We learned about stereotyping. Prejudices, uncommon prejudices and shit. Resources, etc.

One of the things is that to kind of put everyone in the shoes of a victim, the trainer went around the room and roasted every single person.

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
Can confirm.

I've never had boar tho.

It's quite probably the most difficult game meat to cook as far as my experience goes. It's super hard and dry and the taste is gamey to a foul degree, so you have to cook it REALLY slow after macerating it for a couple of days. If well cooked, it will be wonderful (and I generally despise most preparations of swine, wild or not).

The nose and the lips can be roasted straight away, though. They are delicious.

Chuckie

Well. We learned about stereotyping. Prejudices, uncommon prejudices and shit. Resources, etc.

One of the things is that to kind of put everyone in the shoes of a victim, the trainer went around the room and roasted every single person.

Was it useful? And how did it feel to be the roastee instead of the roaster for once? ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom