• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FakeGAF 7: The Dark Thirst Rises

Status
Not open for further replies.

zeemumu

I'm talking about common Courtesy rather than hard rules. If they did it that way then it would just make sense to have memberships instead

I don't think it's about an escape. I think it's more about having a place where you know you won't be discriminated against due to your sexual orientation. Most places try to imply that but the gay club would be a place where it's more enforced.

Jobbs

Banned
If any of you are unsure about whether it's rude for a straight person to go into a gay bar, just make a thread asking the question in OT. I'm sure the informed people of Neogaf OT will have very reasoned input

FloatOn

So Misha, you are saying it would be uncool of me to go to a gay club to get a drink and potentially befriend someone from the gay community?

Misha

Banned
an asshole is an asshole and there are procedures to deal with such people

excluding someone for whatever reason is discrimination
No it isn't. You don't get to dominate every space in the world. The people discriminated against need their own.
I don't think it's about an escape. I think it's more about having a place where you know you won't be discriminated against due to your sexual orientation. Most places try to imply that but the gay club would be a place where it's more enforced.
Via Wikipedia
gay bar is a drinking establishment that caters to an exclusively or predominantly lesbian, gay, bisexual, and transgender (LGBT) clientele
So Misha, you are saying it would be uncool of me to go to a gay club to get a drink and potentially befriend someone from the gay community?
Uncool would be a good word to use yes. It's not the end of the world and I don't think anyone should call you out on it but I don't think it's good on the whole.

It's sorta like gentrification like that. You get a couple more wealthy people in the neighborhood and who really cares but it adds up to a larger problem

zeemumu

No, she's saying that if someone get discriminated against in the general community so they go off and make their own place just for them, it might be considered rude for people from the general community to want to come into their new place.

I don't agree in all cases but I can certainly understand that point of view.

No it isn't. You don't get to dominate every space in the world. The people discriminated against need their own.

Via Wikipedia

I think predominantly is the key word in there.

FloatOn

That depends on whether you have a black friend.

I have lots of black friends.

what if I just showed up by myself?

Is there a such thing as a "black church"?

via wikipedia

The term black church or African-American church refers to Protestant and Catholic Christian churches that currently or historically have ministered to predominantly black congregations in the United States

Jobbs

Banned
Everything about Misha's stance on this smells wrong to me which is rare because Misha is usually right.

The logical conclusion is that the regulars of a gay bar would be within their rights to make you feel unwelcome if you trespass as a straight person? I just don't understand. It goes against everything I think is right and every individual argument can be shot down.

"But I need gay people to hook up with!" it's a gay bar, there'll be gay people.

"But I need a safe place where no one's being a dick to me!" It seems highly unlikely that a straight person going into a gay bar would be the type of person to be mean to you for being gay, and if they are I'm sure the'll rightly be shouted down and asked to leave

SystemBug

hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

Misha

Banned
Everything about Misha's stance on this smells wrong to me which is rare because Misha is usually right.

The logical conclusion is that the regulars of a gay bar would be within their rights to make you feel unwelcome if you trespass as a straight person? I just don't understand. It goes against everything I think is right and every individual argument can be shot down.

"But I need gay people to hook up with!" it's a gay bar, there'll be gay people.

"But I need a safe place where no one's being a dick to me!" It seems highly unlikely that a straight person going into a gay bar would be the type of person to be mean to you for being gay, and if they are I'm sure the'll rightly be shouted down and asked to leave
No it's not within their rights for them to make you feel unwelcome but you should be aware that this is a place for them and not you and you're a guest

Read the rest of my posts because apparently you missed a lot
Uhhhh reread what you said and especially consider the context

Jobbs

Banned
No it's not within their rights for them to make you feel unwelcome but you should be aware that this is a place for them and not you and you're a guest

Read the rest of my posts because apparently you missed a lot

If I cut in front of you in line, that's rude. You may or may not react negatively, but if you did, everyone would consider it reasonable.

Ergo, entering a gay bar is rude, it's reasonable for gay people to react negatively and be unwelcoming. That's the logical conclusion to this line of thought.

And I don't think it sits right

Misha

Banned
If I cut in front of you in line, that's rude. You may or may not react negatively, but if you did, everyone would consider it reasonable.

Ergo, entering a gay bar is rude, it's reasonable for gay people to react negatively and be unwelcoming. That's the logical conclusion to this line of thought.

I used the word selfish later. Probably a better description. People who eat meat are selfish but you shouldn't go around yelling at them
via wikipedia
Really I don't know enough about that culture to understand even if they consider themselves "black churches". Is it just due to demographics or the culture or is it specifically created to be a safe space?

SystemBug

but you have regular bars you can go to.

you may not think it sits right, but thats only because you are a straight white dude who has had everything sit right

Jobbs

Banned
I used the word selfish later. Probably a better description. People who eat meat are selfish but you shouldn't go around yelling at them

There's an understanding that at a gay bar most people will be gay, so, like I said, things will work themselves out. As long as everyone's being nice I think it's all fine.

If we ever got to the point where so many straight people were at a gay bar that it became hard for gay people to meet other gay people, then it would be reasonable for that establishment to examine the situation and maybe come up with a policy to address it.

I doubt that happens with any frequency (or at all), though.

FloatOn

the last time I went to a gay club it was a for a "goodbye" party to one of our gay friends that was moving to san fran.

was that rude?

marrec

Banned
Yeah that's definitely a bit different since there's a performance and such

That last part still sounds selfish to me. "I don't like the normal places that panders to me and ignores these other people so I'm going to go and enjoy the places that the excluded people set up to enjoy themselves"

Ya, I mean, I won't deny that. I don't see as where it's necessarily bad tho.

Like, if someone wants a gay exclusive club they can be like "no str8s fuc u" on their doorway. Having men in banana hammocks go-go dancing while Jessica Wild goes crazy on the dance floor would already discourage most boring straight people anyway.

I'm only basing my experience on The OP though. That place was very inclusive no one looked at you sideways if you were straight or gay or whatever.

DrM

Redmond's Baby
I am going to mountains tomorrow, first 2000 m peak of the season is planned, but it will all depend on the weather in the morning.

marrec

Banned
Like, I'm all for being shamed for regularly going to a gay club while in college, but beyond that I just don't see it as being hurtful in any way unless someone specifically asked you to step off and you refused. *shrug*

Picture unrelated:

xLUwwYOm.jpg

Someone needs to give Curry a hug

Jobbs

Banned
Found this gif I made a while ago.

Drawing is like probing for me. I scribble until I find the shape. Once I find it, I work on tweaking and improving it (if I continued this sketch I'd probably have redone the hair and face quite a bit, for example, but the original sketch serves as an anchorpoint)

DifferentEverlastingIndianrockpython-size_restricted.gif

Misha

Banned
There's an understanding that at a gay bar most people will be gay, so, like I said, things will work themselves out. As long as everyone's being nice I think it's all fine.

If we ever got to the point where so many straight people were at a gay bar that it became hard for gay people to meet other gay people, then it would be reasonable for that establishment to examine the situation and maybe come up with a policy to address it.

I doubt that happens with any frequency (or at all), though.
It's not only about getting a date and i very much disagree that it wouldn't be easy to have too many straight people
Ya, I mean, I won't deny that. I don't see as where it's necessarily bad tho.

Like, if someone wants a gay exclusive club they can be like "no str8s fuc u" on their doorway. Having men in banana hammocks go-go dancing while Jessica Wild goes crazy on the dance floor would already discourage most boring straight people anyway.

I'm only basing my experience on The OP though. That place was very inclusive no one looked at you sideways if you were straight or gay or whatever.
Bad is definitely more negative of a word than I'd use for it

It very much could be more of a club with gay culture rather than s club primarily for gay people idk. Personally I don't have any interest in that kind (tho also because I don't really have any interest in gay culture. Drag makes me very uncomfortable (Also I don't really have any interest in clubs. Would be a bar instead))

marrec

Banned
Damnit Jobbs you're so talented I wanna learn to draw D:

Also now I just really miss The OP, heard they closed it down so I can't even go back if I ever get back to El Paso. :(

Bad is definitely more negative of a word than I'd use for it

It very much could be more of a club with gay culture rather than s club primarily for gay people idk. Personally I don't have any interest in that kind (tho also because I don't really have any interest in gay culture. Drag makes me very uncomfortable (Also I don't really have any interest in clubs. Would be a bar instead))

Bars have always felt more intimate to me. I wouldn't patronize a known gay bar because that seems very invasive to the local community.

Hell, it's hard going to a new bar in a new community regardless because the patrons are all very insular at most local holes in the wall regardless of sexual orientation.

Jobbs

Banned
It's not only about getting a date and i very much disagree that it wouldn't be easy to have too many straight people

I can't comment further without having more gay club experience. I've only been to one once and no one had a problem with me or my friend (who was a girl) being there

Maybe someone really should make the thread asking the question in OT and watch the dumpster fire unfold lol

Damnit Jobbs you're so talented I wanna learn to draw D:

thanks=) haha it's a bit shit but it's nice to exercise by getting the whole shape down as quickly as possible

Misha

Banned
I can't comment further without having more gay club experience. I've only been to one once and no one had a problem with me or my friend (who was a girl) being there

Maybe someone really should make the thread asking the question in OT and watch the dumpster fire unfold lol
It's already a thread :p

And Jesus, no one should have "a problem" with you. I'm just asking for self reflection.

T

Transhuman

Unconfirmed Member
Oh shit illuminati dude is cute. Rip me
Also I should be in bed 2 hours ago. FML

Conspiracy Theorist are notoriously hard to lay though you have to prove to them that you're not just trying to distract them to keep them away from the truth

marrec

Banned
It's already a thread :p

And Jesus, no one should have "a problem" with you. I'm just asking for self reflection.

Straight people are going to get defensive about it because deep down we know it's kind of an invasion of a different territory. A bit of cultural appropriation mixed in with straight imperialism. That's too deep for most gay clubs though, like I said, people go to drink, dance, and maybe watch a show or two. Without being surrounded by guiaditos who can't dance and have loud hair.

T

Transhuman

Unconfirmed Member
Are you sad because you almost had sex with him in the dream or are you sad because you didn't get to have sex with him in the dream?

is this the guy who doesn't wash his hands and stuff?

nah, I don't really care about him anymore.
it was the guy before that. he was clean but heartless :( I like how my brain didn't let it happen though. I'm stronger than I thought.

Are you sad because you almost had sex with him in the dream or are you sad because you didn't get to have sex with him in the dream?

first one. I'm actually proud my subconsciousness prevented it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom