• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FakeGAF 7: The Dark Thirst Rises

Status
Not open for further replies.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
AIRRRRR.... DROOOOOOOP

33_Snuka11.jpg

Vazra

irresponsible vagina leak
If I ever switch teams I'm calling you first
Look at other benefits. If I lose weight or you get fat enough that we are the same size we can double our wardrobe. I can cook too and since Im a thirsty bitch Im always ready for action.
045fe826f2.gif

Granadier

Is currently on Stage 1: Denial regarding the service game future
Least I could do, really. My dad or my brother buys lunch almost every day at work. Plus I probably ate the most.

This post made me feel the patriarchy's iron grip weaken. Noooooooo

----

How did the human race survive before SSD's??

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
Oh, wow, that Umbrella Corp game is out. Waiting for the bomba so I can get it at sub $20, haha

FUME5

Jobbs

Banned
Oh. I meant the suggestion of using it as a selling point, not something that should be available anyway. If I wanted to roleplay a character as the gayest man ever (or whatever), I already can and should be able to. But it gets weird you start to design and market it as a specific feature.

Let me use Mass Effect 2 & 3 as an example of that versus Fable 2 (and further). In Fable, when someone has gained sufficient love for you as a hero, you can give them a ring and marry them, no questions asked. Man or woman, you can swing whatever way you want (though I don't remember gay marriage trigging a cutscene like the hetero version does), and the game lets you have it all. I might be misremembering the game(s) in this regard, but I don't recall any limits on that feature.
Mass Effect 2 introduced a rather disturbing "romance" feature where you could romance everything with a hole in it (oh, hello port side access hatch, how are yoooouu), but as soon as you wanted some man-action it went to "well hold on now, let's not get crazy". It's kind of sick in how it went from "scifi epic" to "space pussy wagon" because it presented the woman as very specific lust objects, and not much else. Jack and Miranda in particular are just there to be Pokemons -gotta f*** ém all! - of desire.
Mass Effect 3 made it much less creepy (even when it's still there, and very obviously so with ehm... the fembot) by making it into a singular commitment instead of the Fuckboat, but you still had only one option for gay romance. Despite being somewhat classier about it than most (then and now), it was still just the one guy. When you also had Kaiden and the hunk-o-meat that was introduced at the start, Vincent Vega, where off-limits. I'm not even gay and even I was slightly offended that romancing Vega was just not gonna happen. Like, the guy is there as the biggest prime slab of meat you've ever seen, but somehow he's off-limits. "Am I not good enough for you?!"
Anyway, EA of course marketed this an an actual feature, which also happened to be about the one good thing about the whole game. But it still came across as shouting: "We got ONE whole gay romance in this shit!", which is what I mean by making it weird. Gay relationships should not be made to be weird, even if the times allow you to make it a selling point. And really, ME3 did pretty well with this, I should reiterate that.

But it's preferable if, like Fable, the game doesn't force a gender definition on you by default. Just give people the options and let them work it out. It never stopped anyone in the pen & paper stage or text game or Massive User Dungeon (MUD) type setup, so why should it now? And it's worth pointing out that in terms of gender and sexism MMO's in particular have actually gone backwards rather than the pleasant gender-bending possibilities they provided before (in text format, unfortunately).
How is someone supposed to empathize with a perspective they can never choose to play as? Like how different Fallout 3 gets when you play it just with a female avatar and you suddenly notice how fucked-up sexist that game is (though the defence there is the setting, but even beyond that) versus you play it as a male character.

And in all this, I didn't even bring up the issue of writing female characters, which fantasy writer, like FUME5 pointed out, seem to be almost inherently incapable of.

6TEgHfu.gif

I think the lesson is that games need to stop being pandery and poorly written

I don't see that ever really happening because waifu schlock like overwatch still sells like gangbusters, but we have seen some incremental progress.

Dryk

A strange man told me to turn on AirDrop once and nothing bad happened so idk

Also I live for the day where we get realistic romance in games and building your character certain ways just locks you out of people

Having met you I can confirm this.
I figure I might as well embrace it because I sure as shit can't hide it

Pau

WB to best city, when's Kark coming to Pittsburgh?
Not sure! I wanna say in like three, four weeks? Does Pittsburgh get crazy for July 4th?

I haven't made any plans yet, I honestly wasn't aware yet that I was!

How long are you in Pittsburgh?

Also I read your post from last night -- triggered, lots of people to fite, etc, the usual :)
I'm here until July 22. You should definitely drive to meet me and Marrec and Misha and guest appearance by Kark!

And thanks. :p

Misha

Banned
Not sure! I wanna say in like three, four weeks? Does Pittsburgh get crazy for July 4th?

I'm here until July 22. You should definitely drive to meet me and Marrec and Misha and guest appearance by Kark!

And thanks. :p
well the firework capital of America is just an hour north! so we get decent fireworks at least

marrec

Banned

They put on a great show on the river, best place to watch is from the Science Center, you get too damn close tbh but it's great and they sell drinks too.

Lebron brings his team back from 3-1 down to the MVP golden boy Curry and beats them, the "best team in the league" and defending champions in their own house.

Lebron finally proved he deserves Space Jam 2.

What a fucking finish jfc

Ceallach

Smells like fresh rosebuds
This is the worst kinda night. Half my friends are excited about wrestling, half about game of thrones.

Misha

Banned
You know I think games need more mind fuckery.

Pulling that off is more impressive to me than realistic dialogue

I was watching a documentary on the shining a bit back and it was interesting the techniques that Kubrick used to try to mess with your mind. he in one shot would establish the length of a hallway and in the next have it be a completelydifferetn dimension. subtle but it adds up to make you feel uneasy

Nobodies excited about the Cavs breaking Golden State tonight cept me so I feel you

you're cheering for Cleveland. I can not feel any more disgust for you than I do right now

marrec

Banned
Lebron not only plays for Cleveland but is from Akron. I'm ashamed with you

52 years without winning shit then Bron brings it home against Curry and the Warriors by giving an all time Finals performance? I can't hate.

Besides, that's not shame you feel, search your feelings

EDIT:

LOOK AT THIS FUCKING BLOCK

V5jfn58.gif

WTF

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom