• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FakeGAF 7: The Dark Thirst Rises

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jobbs

Banned
My complexion is garbage so I've always toyed with the idea of applying some simple concealer. I can't remember the guys name (guy what played Hawkeye in Avengers) but he was a make-up artist for a certain period of time and said in no uncertain terms that if you wanna look your best, why not take the extra 5 minutes to pop on some make-up before you walk out the door.

I struggle with it because of masculinity and laziness and a sense of failure if I have to cover my imperfections with make-up.

That was very sharey.

I've talked right here about my desire to wear makeup a number of times to improve my appearance. The problem is feeling nervous about it being noticed (makeup can be noticed even if you do a good job) and dealing with people who think for some reason that's not a masculine thing to do or whatever crap

marrec

Banned
I've talked right here about my desire to wear makeup a number of times to improve my appearance. The problem is feeling nervous about it being noticed (makeup can be noticed even if you do a good job) and dealing with people who think for some reason that's not a masculine thing to do or whatever crap

Yes! I work above a lot of very manly masculine men who would absolutely lose respect for me if they noticed that I was wearing makeup.

At the same time though, I'm always cognizant of my complexion and how easy it would be to make it look better with a simple makeup process. Like, when I meet with customers and suppliers my appearance matters almost more than my actual talk, but I can't improve my appearance in that way without feeling conflicted internally.

Damn you masculinity.

Misha

Banned
High school guys at least don't care about/notice "guys" wearing concealer. You guys are probably being overly paranoid

marrec

Banned
High school guys at least don't care about/notice "guys" wearing concealer. You guys are probably being overly paranoid

But I'd still feel conflicted internally. The ghostly spirit of my WWII vet Grandpa would float around chastising me.

Pau

I always like the idea of learning how to do different looks with make up but I'm lazy and the few times I've tried it just ends in tears.

Maybe one day when I have a lot of time for myself.

Luckily my sister enjoys experimenting looks with my face, but it's not the same.

This also reminds me of how much I dislike her asshole boyfriend who judges me the few times when I do wear make up. He's one of those guys who thinks girls are dumb for spending time on make up. (Meanwhile my sister wears it EVERYDAY.)

Jobbs

Banned
I always like the idea of learning how to do different looks with make up but I'm lazy and the few times I've tried it just ends in tears.

Luckily my sister enjoys experimenting looks with my face, but it's not the same.

This also reminds me of how much I dislike her asshole boyfriend who judges me the few times when I do wear make up. He's one of those guys who thinks girls are dumb for spending time on make up. (Meanwhile my sister wears it EVERYDAY.)

want me to take him out

Michelle Phan
Nikkie Tutorials
My Pale Skin
MakeUpByAlly

EDIT: Let me add
Wayne Goss which he shows things that work for girls and some stuff can be used for guys too which is nice.

thanks. I actually already had michelle phan. =) she's really fun to watch for some reason

Misha

Banned
I'm increasingly worried about Jobbs spending the rest of his life in prison

I've tried to do it on my own but it's incredibly hard not to be really critical. I'm getting better at least but I need to make a friend who can teach me a bit and critique. Or at the very least just have fun messing around with trying it out and adding positivity

Timu

Where is Vaz? I have to tell him that I'm building a new gaming PC that's going to be very powerful and will come next year!

I have. she has actually stayed iwth me a couple times when she was particularly in a bad place.

I'd go mess him up but that'd make things worse. I'd kill him for putting his hands on my sister but I'm too much of a coward to actually kill someone, and anything short of killing him would only make things far worse and it goes against my general philosophy anyway (I don't think violence should be a solution to anything, but this situation certainly strains that rule)

as long as she keeps making up with him and keeps going back to him and keeps staying with him I don't feel like there's anything I can really do that wouldn't make things worse. it's the most stressful situation

if she made a clean break from him I'd go kick his ass right now, today, but what would probably happen is she'd side with him and I'd never see the kids again

this is terrible. but if it happens again you could very well call the cops or something. such an environment is not safe for the kids either.
there's something more important here than whatever love she thinks she feels for that ass.

If you boys want to experiment with makeup try doing only a little at a time. Put just a dash of concealer or foundation on that's extremely unlikely to make a difference/be noticed. You'll still be super self conscious about it, but because nobody noticed it then you'll feel bolder and start feeling ready to put more and more on.

Trust me, you're not the first guys I've coached through makeup.

It is! I've played about two hours already, and it's really really good. Also, supposed to be coming soon. One of the guys I was talking to the other day said they're almost feature complete. :)

Halcyon is infecting my desk.

Ooh, fun! The only tchotchkes I have on my desk are some Psychonauts figures I borrowed from someone else. Everything else is more or less practical, albeit super messy right now.

qHpsS2i.jpg
Fm4qQzQ.jpg

Relaxing all cool in a skirt and tank top at home in the AC because I got the day off from work. Yes please.

D

Deleted member 10571

Unconfirmed Member
My desk at work is a mess of random figurines. My desk at home is currently weirdly not.

edit oh fuck @ flashpoint. YES. But, no Batman, no nothing. It's a really neat method for bringing Supergirl in tho.

Doesn't that necessarily involve Batman and Superman?

It's been a while, and I'm not watching the show anymore, so I may be confused.

My desk at work is a mess of random figurines. My desk at home is currently weirdly not.

Opposite for me. When I worked in an office, the desk was incredibly tidy and sparse, although I did have dozens of pen and paper drawings pinned up on the wall.

Granadier

Is currently on Stage 1: Denial regarding the service game future
It is! I've played about two hours already, and it's really really good. Also, supposed to be coming soon. One of the guys I was talking to the other day said they're almost feature complete. :)

Is there a Hollow Knight demo available or something? I backed the a long time ago, but I haven't paid much attention to their updates.

Also, awesome figure collection. I'm waiting until I'm in my more permanent desk before adding to my collection.

marrec

Banned

edit oh fuck @ flashpoint. YES. But, no Batman, no nothing. It's a really neat method for bringing Supergirl in tho.

Doesn't that necessarily involve Batman and Superman?

It's been a while, and I'm not watching the show anymore, so I may be confused.

S'okay, just use Arrow as Batman, use the Legends of Tomorrow crew for other various characters. We already know that Superman has been cast for the first (2) episodes of Supergirl. This could be good, and like the Flash itself, will probably be better than it has any right being.

If you boys want to experiment with makeup try doing only a little at a time. Put just a dash of concealer or foundation on that's extremely unlikely to make a difference/be noticed. You'll still be super self conscious about it, but because nobody noticed it then you'll feel bolder and start feeling ready to put more and more on.

I'll have to give it a try some weekend and just see how it feels. Breaking down that wall of toxic masculinity is rough.

Is there a Hollow Knight demo available or something? I backed the a long time ago, but I haven't paid much attention to their updates.

Also, awesome figure collection. I'm waiting until I'm in my more permanent desk before adding to my collection.

I'm a backer too, but a couple of the team members post occasionally in the dev thread here and I think that was how I got the demo.

I'll have to give it a try some weekend and just see how it feels. Breaking down that wall of toxic masculinity is rough.

You can do it! I believe in you xD

FloatOn

Listening now, not digging the male vocals of this first song but the music is hot. Love how the percussion is prominent.

yeah the female singer is WAY better in this band. I wish the guy would just stfu and have her be lead all the time. BUT... I do enjoy the contrast.

Jobbs

Banned
this is terrible. but if it happens again you could very well call the cops or something. such an environment is not safe for the kids either.
there's something more important here than whatever love she thinks she feels for that ass.

the law is incredibly deferential towards the mother. as long as she's complicit with this asshole and as long as there aren't obvious signs of child abuse I feel like my options are incredibly limited. she has to want to leave him and half the time she acts like she loves him

Ooh, fun! The only tchotchkes I have on my desk are some Psychonauts figures I borrowed from someone else. Everything else is more or less practical, albeit super messy right now.

Relaxing all cool in a skirt and tank top at home in the AC because I got the day off from work. Yes please.

Hollow Knight is the shit and that is a fun lookin' workstation!

FloatOn

maybe I'm just a robot programmed by the evil patriarchy but I've never had a burning desire to wear makeup.

it would probably benefit me because I tend to have a pinkish hue due to the pale skin and bright+hot florida sun.

marrec

Banned
the law is incredibly deferential towards the mother. as long as she's complicit with this asshole and as long as there aren't obvious signs of child abuse I feel like my options are incredibly limited. she has to want to leave him and half the time she acts like she loves him

I mean, it's a cycle, these things always are. It's an identified form of psychological manipulation that ends up with the abused blaming themselves for all the abuse, unable to externalize the physical or emotional violence they are suffering, while also going through cycles of fearing for their lives and the lives of their loved ones (especially children).

When it's good, they are deeply infatuated with the abuser because when it's bad, they blame themselves for it being bad and not the abuser. So the abuser is able to use even the idea of a good life with a good partner to manipulate the other person. It's an awful place to be in as a person.

That why the advice is just to be supportive and try to help remind the person that it's not their fault, that the violence IS external, and that when they're ready they can do something about it. The abuser is often seen as omnipresent in these situations, so that they (the person being abused) often feel that can't even confide their fears in their closest friends and family without the abuser finding out.

maybe I'm just a robot programmed by the evil patriarchy but I've never had a burning desire to wear makeup.

it would probably benefit me because I tend to have a pinkish hue due to the pale skin and bright+hot florida sun.

Nah, there's absolutely nothing wrong with that.

I'll certainly never argue that all men should wear makeup, but all men should feel comfortable doing so if that is their preference.

FloatOn

Nah, there's absolutely nothing wrong with that.

I'll certainly never argue that all men should wear makeup, but all men should feel comfortable doing so if that is their preference.

I think I may want to eventually return to the place of my birth (Portland, OR). Partially for reasons of climate and escaping the blazing sun but mainly for culture.

It would be a challenge now though since I bought a home here.

marrec

Banned

It's probably just one of those things that I want to try but feel like I can't and that makes me feel controlled or trapped.

As a control freak, even internalized social masculinity trapping me makes me feel anxious.

Also, while I've been able to change everything else about the way I look (lose weight, dress right, get fit) my face will always look bad to me and I will want to change it.

Jobbs

Banned
I'm an oddball because I frequently feel a desire to be subversive to the standard idea of masculinity (want to pay for the meal? ok thanks. And I legit just bought nail polish) but I also want to go fight people sometimes

Misha

Banned
I'm an oddball because I frequently feel a desire to be subversive to the standard idea of masculinity (want to pay for the meal? ok thanks. And I legit just bought nail polish) but I also want to go fight people sometimes
That's something I haven't felt comfortable doing yet :p

Did you have an excuse prepped in case you get questions or did you just go and do it? "My sister got home from college and forgot her makeup bag" is the one I've had in my head. But then there's the possibility that the cashier might recognize my last name and know my sister so...

Jobbs

Banned

Did you have an excuse prepped in case you get questions or did you just go and do it? "My sister got home from college and forgot her makeup bag" is the one I've had in my head. But then there's the possibility that the cashier might recognize my last name and know my sister so...

I've worn nail polish before (not in a while though) I don't care that much. In this case it's something I don't mind being questioned on and I'll just lean right into it. "Yes, do you like this color?" or whatever. Make no apologies.

Wearing bright colors may be a bit new but I think I'll be fine.

Makeup is a bit harder but I may work up to it.

BTW I was surfing pinterest (yes, many of my surfing activities are very lady like) and I stumbled into some cool lyra shit.

6c01e649d1c765432a33c36e5ff9fd6a.jpg

Add this to the list of traditionally girly activities I'd like to try sometime.

Vazra

irresponsible vagina leak

Lets get naked and fight in bed.
clock-eyebrow.gif

The loser has to get strawberry nails while the winner gets to choose his own color.

What excuse would you need? What's the worst that could happen if you just play everything straight?

I think I may want to eventually return to the place of my birth (Portland, OR). Partially for reasons of climate and escaping the blazing sun but mainly for culture.

It would be a challenge now though since I bought a home here.

I'm the last person who could speak into this. Born and raised in the same place, only away for two years of college, hoping to never leave again. If all goes well, I'll be inheriting my parents' house too (which I essentially already have).

How did you even end up in Orlando, if you don't mind me asking?

Jobbs

Banned
my fighting is very masculine therefore rarely naked!

The only cool naked fight I can think of off hand was in Deadpool

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom