• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FakeGAF 7: The Dark Thirst Rises

Status
Not open for further replies.

DrM

Redmond's Baby
holy crap, what a day at work, one of female coworkers had a total meltdown so the medical team had to take her to medical station for extensive checkout and now she is in observation at local asylum

FloatOn

holy crap, what a day at work, one of female coworkers had a total meltdown so the medical team had to take her to medical station for extensive checkout and now she is in observation at local asylum

:0

damn

hope she turns out okay

zeemumu

Sorry to hear that. I've never had to deal with a mental breakdown in the middle of work before.

D

Deleted member 10571

Unconfirmed Member
so the guy shaved half of my arm because of inking, obviously, and following that, so that it didn't look completely idiotic, he shaved all of it down.

I now shaved the other arm as well, because symmetry and all that.

I might actually stay arm shaven. This feels surprisingly nice.

Misha

Banned
Looks like my avatar is going to end up in a style that's sorta between Bruce timm, Noelle Stevenson, and LoZ windwaker
Surely though there's a more precise comparison. Maybe Stacey lee and Kate Beaton?
Either way it's a loose sketchy style with dark round eyes and a shades nose.
I'm quite liking it so far for being sketches. Tbf tho sketches sometimes look more promising than the style is actually capable of
so the guy shaved half of my arm because of inking, obviously, and following that, so that it didn't look completely idiotic, he shaved all of it down.

I now shaved the other arm as well, because symmetry and all that.

I might actually stay arm shaven. This feels surprisingly nice.
Every body part feels better shaved. Just a pain to keep it that way

Also feels even better epilator'd off. Perfectly smooth :O(and presumably laser is even nicer)

zeemumu

Looks like my avatar is going to end up in a style that's sorta between Bruce timm, Noelle Stevenson, and LoZ windwaker
Surely though there's a more precise comparison. Maybe Stacey lee and Kate Beaton?
Either way it's a loose sketchy style with dark round eyes and a shades nose.
I'm quite liking it so far for being sketches. Tbf tho sketches sometimes look more promising than the style is actually capable of

Every body part feels better shaved. Just a pain to keep it that way

Also feels even better epilator'd off. Perfectly smooth :O(and presumably laser is even nicer)

My avatar is already fan art, just not mine. Gotta love Zero Beat

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
I know I'am dude and all but I've always hated my hairy legs.

I'am not a swimmer but having hairy legs sucks
Hair only belongs on the head.

Unfortunately that is the one spot that it decides to leave as you age.

zeemumu

Hopefully we'll have hair cloning by the end of the decade

ef1a122f1221811689c202dea81ba925.jpg

DrM

Redmond's Baby
Sorry to hear that. I've never had to deal with a mental breakdown in the middle of work before.
To be honest, i am quite shaken right now
It was quite scary, she suddenly started yelling at the checkout, throwing stuff around, crying and then stumbled into back office.I found her crying on the floor, murmuring 'i have enough' and asking for help.

So I called medical help, which arrived in 6 minutes. My personal doctor was in the team and she managed to get her up and into ambulance. Other coworker called her husband. He later called back and said that she will be in observation for a day or two.

And some of the customers even dared to comment the whole situation. God damned imbeciles.

zeemumu

No he's parody objectivist Question.

Batman isn't a psychopath.

Yeah you're right

But Batman's completely psychotic.

To be honest, i am quite shaken right now
It was quite scary, she suddenly started yelling at the checkout, throwing stuff around, crying and then stumbled into back office.I found her crying on the floor, murmuring 'i have enough' and asking for help.

So I called medical help, which arrived in 6 minutes. My personal doctor was in the team and she managed to get her up and into ambulance. Other coworker called her husband. He later called back and said that she will be on observation for a day or two.

And some of the customers even dared to comment the whole situation. God damned imbeciles.

Where do you work, again?

Jobbs

Banned
Dragon Quest is one of the few things that automatically makes me smile because it evokes such positive associations and feelgood feelings

One of my all time favorite game franchises, above Mario/Zelda/Mega Man/etc

I watched the first season and enjoyed it. So season 2 takes a nose dive? that sucks

The Flash --- It's occasionally entertaining but ultimately so dumb it makes The Walking Dead and The 100 seem like high art

I barely made it through season 1 and season 2 became so dumb I couldn't hang anymore

jb1234

I watched the first season and enjoyed it. So season 2 takes a nose dive? that sucks

I wouldn't say a nose dive but it's definitely weaker. It spends too much time early on setting up Legends of Tomorrow and after that, the villain arc never really comes together, leading to a disappointing finale. It also is too dark for my tastes, something I'd expect more from Arrow than The Flash.

(And Barry has a habit in the second season of acting like a complete dumbass and then never suffering the consequences of his poorly thought-out actions.)

zeemumu

Psychotic how? He's not discontected from his reality, at all.

Mental illness doesn't equal psychosis.

There's some evidence that his parents' deaths keep him rooted in his own little world where what he does is the only option. It would explain why he broke down when he found a reason to get out of the Bat life, and by this point the Wayne life is more the secret identity and Batman is the reality.

D

Deleted member 10571

Unconfirmed Member
DraQue never clicked with me /shrug

But so didn't Final Fantasy so theres that. Chrono Trigger tho.

Jobbs

Banned
DraQue never clicked with me /shrug

But so didn't Final Fantasy so theres that. Chrono Trigger tho.

Yo don't compare something fun and lively and full of colors and sensations and life to the dull drab heartless unrelatable alien fucking world (which is populated by human-like plastic robots) of Final Fantasy... Yuck

I loved Chrono Trigger as much as most people, unfortunately it never became a good franchise

It's been so long since I've played CT that all I really remember is the robot and the frog knight and not a lot of specifics.

Pau

There's some evidence that his parents' deaths keep him rooted in his own little world where what he does is the only option. It would explain why he broke down when he found a reason to get out of the Bat life, and by this point the Wayne life is more the secret identity and Batman is the reality.
Nah, the reality is the guy juggling being a supehero, running a company, and being a dad. He recognizes that there are other options for other people. Being a superhero is what works for him and makes complete sense in a fictional world already full of them. And it ultimately comes from a place of empathy and compassion, which psychopaths don't have.

It depends on the version of course. But the above describes the DC comics canon Batman. There's Frank Miller's boring and shitty edginess. And the movies and video games which don't tend to be the most accurate or nuanced representation. Plus the desire for escalating violence in those media.

zeemumu

Nah, the reality is the guy juggling being a supehero, running a company, and being a dad. He recognizes that there are other options for other people. Being a superhero is what works for him and makes complete sense in a fictional world already full of them. And it ultimately comes from a place of empathy and compassion, which psychopaths don't have.

It depends on the version of course. But the above describes the DC comics canon Batman. There's Frank Miller's boring and shitty edginess. And the movies and video games which don't tend to be the most accurate or nuanced representation. Plus the desire for escalating violence in those media.

I tend to mash them all together to create a general portrait of Batman. I always got the feeling that he did it because he didn't feel like he had a choice, like it had to be him. In some forms of media that's the case, but it may not be for all of them. It doesn't really seem like the Wayne life is really him anymore. it feels more like something he does to the benefit of Batman.

D

Deleted member 10571

Unconfirmed Member
Yo don't compare something fun and lively and full of colors and sensations and life to the dull drab heartless unrelatable alien fucking world (which is populated by human-like plastic robots) of Final Fantasy... Yuck

I loved Chrono Trigger as much as most people, unfortunately it never became a good franchise

It's been so long since I've played CT that all I really remember is the robot and the frog knight and not a lot of specifics.

no nononon no

I love that it's not. Not every game needs to be littered with sequels and in some cases that makes it better.

Same reason I'm hoping for Dark Souls to stay the fantastic trilogy it is, but I can't quite believe it yet.

FloatOn

no nononon no

I love that it's not. Not every game needs to be littered with sequels and in some cases that makes it better.

Same reason I'm hoping for Dark Souls to stay the fantastic trilogy it is, but I can't quite believe it yet.

I agree with this. I'm get less thrilled with every dark souls entry. Nothing will match the sublime experience of the first game. nothing.

time for them to do sci-fi souls

Jobbs

Banned
no nononon no

I don't understand this mindset. You're basically saying "I don't want to play more games in this series, therefore no one else should be able to either"

More games coming out has no bearing on the original game and whether you liked it or not

D

Deleted member 10571

Unconfirmed Member
I don't understand this mindset. You're basically saying "I don't want to play more games in this series, therefore no one else should be able to either"

More games coming out has no bearing on the original game and whether you liked it or not

I don't know, maybe. I feel like the story they want to tell has been told now, and it's done and finished. For Chrono more so than Souls even. I do think if From would churn out Dark Souls 4-10 in the next 6 years though that it would lessen the overall experience of it. I do see your point though, I guess, it won't actually change the original games. It's weird. I'm weird. Shut up.

Pau

I tend to mash them all together to create a general portrait of Batman. I always got the feeling that he did it because he didn't feel like he had a choice, like it had to be him. In some forms of media that's the case, but it may not be for all of them. It doesn't really seem like the Wayne life is really him anymore. it feels more like something he does to the benefit of Batman.
I mash them together too but I give precedence to the comics because I think it's the most nuanced portrayal. Everything else also tends to cover a very short period of time - particularly his early years when he's I think in his worst space mentally and emotionally.

I think he definitely starts off that way, thinking he doesn't have a choice or that there is no better option or life isn't worth living if he can't make Gotham better in this way. But I think he just realizes that it's the best option because it's what makes him, for all intent and purposes, "happy". If you tell him he can't do that anymore, of course he's break down the same way if you told a painter they couldn't paint. But it's not worth his life. The one time he had suicidal tendencies after becoming Batman was when his son died. What makes him not be an emotional wreck of a human being is being a father. Take that away from him and he completely spirals. BvS so far supports this.

What are you including in the Wayne life? His corporate/public identity? He doesn't like being around business people or all that jazz, and yeah, it's for financing his Batman activities. But he also uses his company to do a lot of good for Gotham that goes beyond detective work and getting criminals. That, I think, he enjoys.

And the Bruce who's doing detective work or being with Alfred and his kids, that's still totally him.

The Batman identity can be just as much of a performance. He doesn't enjoy being aggressive and being cruel to people. I think he likes the art of fighting but not the violence. He's not proud of that part. But he does see it as necessary. (Which isn't exclusive to him: all the superheroes use violence at their core.)

Ultimately, does Bruce have issues and flaws? Definitely. And they change throughout his life. But at the end of the day, Batman is about how your trauma and mental illness doesn't have to make you a bad person: you can use it to help others. That's what makes him different from his villains. I don't think that's anywhere near being psychotic of a psychopath.

zeemumu

I mash them together too but I give precedence to the comics because I think it's the most nuanced portrayal. Everything else also tends to cover a very short period of time - particularly his early years when he's I think in his worst space mentally and emotionally.

I think he definitely starts off that way, thinking he doesn't have a choice or that there is no better option or life isn't worth living if he can't make Gotham better in this way. But I think he just realizes that it's the best option because it's what makes him, for all intent and purposes, "happy". If you tell him he can't do that anymore, of course he's break down the same way if you told a painter they couldn't paint. But it's not worth his life. The one time he had suicidal tendencies after becoming Batman was when his son died. What makes him not be an emotional wreck of a human being is being a father. Take that away from him and he completely spirals. BvS so far supports this.

What are you including in the Wayne life? His corporate/public identity? He doesn't like being around business people or all that jazz, and yeah, it's for financing his Batman activities. But he also uses his company to do a lot of good for Gotham that goes beyond detective work and getting criminals. That, I think, he enjoys.

And the Bruce who's doing detective work or being with Alfred and his kids, that's still totally him.

The Batman identity can be just as much of a performance. He doesn't enjoy being aggressive and being cruel to people. I think he likes the art of fighting but not the violence. He's not proud of that part. But he does see it as necessary. (Which isn't exclusive to him: all the superheroes use violence at their core.)

Ultimately, does Bruce have issues and flaws? Definitely. And they change throughout his life. But at the end of the day, Batman is about how your trauma and mental illness doesn't have to make you a bad person: you can use it to help others. That's what makes him different from his villains. I don't think that's anywhere near being psychotic of a psychopath.

Is he actually happy doing it, though? He never seemed so much happy as he was content that he was fulfilling a promise, not so much happy. The conversation is making me flash back to this.

You can probably make a drinking game out of how many dramatic shots of that gravestone there are in that film.

Pau

Is he actually happy doing it, though? He never seemed so much happy as he was content that he was fulfilling a promise, not so much happy. The conversation is making me flash back to this.

You can probably make a drinking game out of how many dramatic shots of that gravestone there are in that film.
Well, I put happy in quotation marks for a reason. :p

And most of that movie is set before he becomes a dad. I don't think he really becomes happy before then. Being a dad (having a family) and being a superhero I think makes for the happiest possible Bruce. Doesn't mean he can't have his moments of sadness and exhaustion. I also think Bruce's temperament in general (even before his parents died) leans towards melancholy and subdued.

Notice that it's Andrea that leaves and breaks off the relationship, not Bruce. And when she comes back, well, he can't be with her because
she's a murderer.
Not because he's Batman.

zeemumu

Well, I put happy in quotation marks for a reason. :p

And most of that movie is set before he becomes a dad. I don't think he really becomes happy before then. Being a dad (having a family) and being a superhero I think makes for the happiest possible Bruce. Doesn't mean he can't have his moments of sadness and exhaustion. I also think Bruce's temperament in general (even before his parents died) leans towards melancholy and subdued.

Notice that it's Andrea that leaves and breaks off the relationship, not Bruce. And when she comes back, well, he can't be with her because
she's a murderer.
Not because he's Batman.

I'm more concerned with his motivation than his tactics. Well, motivation and reaction

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom