• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FakeGAF 8: Overthirst

Status
Not open for further replies.

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
wide awake again at 2:30. why am I like this :( I could sleep all day.
Join me. Its 25C over here.

tumblr_mvwz8cvO7F1rvs9wso2_500.gif

Misha

Banned
I think I want to take a class on watercolor. Considering I still hated myself during my last drawing class I cent imagine it would help with that but at least maybe I could have more direction

Actually maybe busting out the chalk pastels would be nice. Wish I had a lot more color though

Ahh but its too messy. No way that goes well

Art is literally the most stressful thing ever

zeemumu

I refuse to ever, EVER EVER shop at anything that has to do with the Waltons.

BUt no this was clothes, shoes, backpack, jackets, accessories, supplies, etc. She walks all over me <3

Why? (I didn't look into my employer's background when I worked there but it was a bad time nonetheless)

But still, $450?

Hey Matt have you played Headlander yet? You get it for free, right?

Yeah, I checked, it's in my library.

Is it good? Should I installsies?

I played a little over three hours today. It's really solid. Not as characterful nor well written as Double Fine games tend to be, but much better designed mechanically. The controls are really nice, the environment is fun to explore, the combat is decent, and the puzzles are great. I dunno. It's been a good, strong distraction for me today.

I fuckin' pay for everything. I don't care though

/sugardaddy I guess

Do you ever worry about that being the only reason someone likes you? :(

Jobbs

Banned
I played a little over three hours today. It's really solid. Not as characterful nor well written as Double Fine games tend to be, but much better designed mechanically. The controls are really nice, the environment is fun to explore, the combat is decent, and the puzzles are great. I dunno. It's been a good, strong distraction for me today.

OKay, I'll check it out, maybe later tonight. Sounds interesting

Do you ever worry about that being the only reason someone likes you? :(

No, since I'm mostly joking :p

I mean, I'm sure the fact that I'm not broke and have a quiet place to myself have to factor in, how can it not, but what can I do about that?

Misha

Banned

I only watched a stream of it and it seemed like a lot of the puzzles didn't have a specific way in mind for a solution. But you just kinda mess with it till you get angles that work. Not really a fan of that for puzzle games.
Though some of the larger view for the puzzles seemed neat like switching between different robots to accomplish different things.

zeemumu

you get a kid into a store with a mandate to pick things out and yeah, easy, you only spend less than that if you say no a lot

My parents issued me ultimatums all the time, usually with the promise that whatever I didn't pick would still be there when I came back. Sometimes it was, sometimes it wasn't. The important thing is that I never saw that Sonic Adventure 2 Sonic action figure again and that Babbages became an EB games which became the Gamestop that it is now.

The solution is to become a decent negotiator.

Or if the kid was me. I never wanted anything. Id have three item long christmas lists which were basically a game, a lego set, and a book. Id be set for the year after that

I used to have long-ish lists, but I got more modest growing up and started feeling so depressed that I didn't deserve anything, so I started asking for less. These days, all I really ask for are money and help setting up my yearly trip to EVO.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
It's nice to be able to afford things.

And by things I mean beer, to numb the pain of living.

No, since I'm mostly joking :p

I mean, I'm sure the fact that I'm not broke and have a quiet place to myself have to factor in, how can it not, but what can I do about that?

oh, okay. It's something I struggle with sometimes. I think it's why I tend to prefer hanging out with people who are more like me.

I only watched a stream of it and it seemed like a lot of the puzzles didn't have a specific way in mind for a solution. But you just kinda mess with it till you get angles that work. Not really a fan of that for puzzle games.
Though some of the larger view for the puzzles seemed neat like switching between different robots to accomplish different things.

Yeah, I like it because it's not always puzzles with exact solutions, and there are often several ways to do something, but it's not immediately obvious what the thing to do is. Plus the world design is so complex that navigation itself becomes a puzzle!

Misha

Banned
Yeah, I like it because it's not always puzzles with exact solutions, and there are often several ways to do something, but it's not immediately obvious what the thing to do is. Plus the world design is so complex that navigation itself becomes a puzzle!

The puzzles seem more angry birds to me than portal though. Like figuring it out a different way than intended isn't some clever thing using the environment differently, its more like if you brute force it something might eventually might work due to the thousands of different combinations of positions

But yeah the navigation looks amazing. Seems like a very good take on metroid style exploration though a lot more guided (and guided by puzzles!)

Sorry if I'm messing with your fun. I didn't have anyone to share my observations with when I was watching it

zeemumu

oh, okay. It's something I struggle with sometimes. I think it's why I tend to prefer hanging out with people who are more like me.

I'd like to have friendships where people put in equal amounts of effort but that doesn't happen very often. It's gotten to the point that I expect so little of other people that virtually any form of effort is genuinely surprising. My aunt surprising me by sending me that replacement Coke bottle with my name on it was one of the nicest things someone's done for me in a while.

Jobbs

Banned

One of society's problems is that rich people section themselves off from poor people and no one understands eachother :p

I've heard some girls say (Erica's even said this) how humorous it is when men will find ways to display their status to her by talking about their income or something expensive they own or whatever

I don't do any of that, so I don't know what else I can do :p I'll be generous at times but in the case of early relationships I consciously am not going to put pressure on it by spending a lot of money.

jb1234

Money means very little to me as long as my basic needs are met. But I admit I'm in a scenario where I can't enjoy having it anyway.

Just got back from D&D, shit was rad

One of the party launched an airship with a couple of improvised shitty molotovs into another, bigger airship, jumped off onto the airship everyone else was, walked over to the pilot and started making out with her while the two airships collided and blew up

While this was being described I put on Don't Wanna Miss A Thing by Aerosmith

It was glorious

zeemumu

Just got back from D&D, shit was rad

One of the party launched an airship with a couple of improvised shitty molotovs into another, bigger airship, jumped off onto the airship everyone else was, walked over to the pilot and started making out with her while the two airships collided and blew up

While this was being described I put on Don't Wanna Miss A Thing by Aerosmith

It was glorious

...I need some context...for all of this

Jobbs

Banned
Installed Headlander and preordered No Man's Sky -- After feeling ambivalent about that game since its annoucement, I finally gave in and as often is the case zeitgeist is what pushed me over. Everyone's going to be playing this highly ambitious gimmicky thing, so I want to share in that for better or for worse.

Installed Headlander and preordered No Man's Sky -- After feeling ambivalent about that game since its annoucement, I finally gave in and as often is the case zeitgeist is what pushed me over. Everyone's going to be playing this highly ambitious gimmicky thing, so I want to share in that for better or for worse.

Perch for The Last Guardian instead.

Xiao Hu

So I went out tonight with some old friends and had a jolly time seeting them again. We ran into a 'buddy' of mine with whom I went to Shanghai (actually we graduated together from the same high school and even started the same bachelor program simultaneously). We planned our stay in China together, travelled during winter break in south east Asia, I invited him over for Christmas to my flat...and then he doesn't acknowledge the necessity to properly greet me. Like, dude...really? I know you've built up your own social environment during our stay and you started to isolate yourself from me after the second week in Shanghai and had plans behind my back to travel with somebody else despite me stating and reminding you of us teaveling together during holiday. At least I know now what kind of person he really is.

i.e. the rich?

financial stability is certainly a part of it (without the showy status part—I don't care about that), but I would be sorely amiss to claim that finance is the only privilege I've been given. It's easier to hang out with people who you're not embarrassed to be yourself around. Like it's embarrassing for me to talk about days when things are going really well for me in this thread when there are other people who constantly go on about their depression or job problems or illness or a lack of confidence or relationship drama or death of family. Because it's not fair. And the very last thing I want to do is make light of other people's problems, so it's just easier to avoid confrontation for the most part.

so most of the time we can talk about general issues and interests, and most of the rest of the time I censor myself. But ignoring that disparity is harder to do in real life when you're in it and living it.

(to be clear, I'm not trying to say I think I'm always humble, nor that I think I ought to be. It's a tricky balance)

One of society's problems is that rich people section themselves off from poor people and no one understands eachother :p

I've heard some girls say (Erica's even said this) how humorous it is when men will find ways to display their status to her by talking about their income or something expensive they own or whatever

I don't do any of that, so I don't know what else I can do :p I'll be generous at times but in the case of early relationships I consciously am not going to put pressure on it by spending a lot of money.

Yeah. I'm a mess right now and I'm overthinking everything. I've rewritten this response a dozen times because I can't figure out what to say, how to say it, or even why it needs to be said. I can't fix all the world's problems but I can fix some of them, and I try to take note of that when I can. But in the mean time I just want to come home to and spend time with people who love me for who I am, not what I have.

I'd like to have friendships where people put in equal amounts of effort but that doesn't happen very often. It's gotten to the point that I expect so little of other people that virtually any form of effort is genuinely surprising. My aunt surprising me by sending me that replacement Coke bottle with my name on it was one of the nicest things someone's done for me in a while.

when you say "it's gotten to the point", how did it get that way? Why is your kindness not being reciprocated? :(

The puzzles seem more angry birds to me than portal though. Like figuring it out a different way than intended isn't some clever thing using the environment differently, its more like if you brute force it something might eventually might work due to the thousands of different combinations of positions

But yeah the navigation looks amazing. Seems like a very good take on metroid style exploration though a lot more guided (and guided by puzzles!)

I'd guess it's different watching it than playing it. In any case, it's not at all trial and error if you're paying attention.

FloatOn

Part of it was me relishing in the fact that she was worse-off than I was when she finally contacted me a year after she cut me and the relationship off, but I was a lot younger and more spiteful back then. She told me that she hated her current boyfriend because (at the time, don't know if that's the case now) he treated her like shit emotionally. When I asked her why she didn't leave his ass, she hit me with the "I'd rather be miserable than alone" excuse. She made her choice, and while I'm not above trying to save someone, I can't do that if they don't wanna help themselves.

In general for me, the best way to learn to forgive is to just keep trying to better yourself. I've got a good job that is trying to kill me with hours, great friends (including on GAF <3), better family, and I'm generally enjoying my life. Yeah I'm lonely as fuck and I miss the companionship of a real relationship, but I'm sure that'll change eventually.

Besides, there's always Lucian's headache cure!

Word.

Furthering myself in my career and working towards finishing my degree had helped tons. She hasn't tried to contact me and that's probably for the best as I would most likely explode into a fit of blind rage. I know the only way to get over this is to forgive. And logically I know we were not going to work out but the way she ended things was horrible beyond words.....

The next step for me is to allow myself to pursue creative ___.

And the reason I can't I've realized is another reason I'm so angry about the whole thing. Over the course of the seven years we were married, I let her diminish my voice. I thought it was noble or whatever to put adult things first (providing for both of us) and any kind of fun creative things were an indulgence.

Maybe this doesn't make any sense but that's where I'm at.

Sorry for rambling :/

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom