• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FakeGAF Episode 5: The Thirst Awakens

Status
Not open for further replies.

DrM

Redmond's Baby
Had macaroni with scrambled egg for lunch. It was good, but grandma overdosed oil on it and that killed the taste. And then she argued with me that you cannot do scrambled eggs without so much oil etc.

avocadocut.gif

I dislike avocado, because it turned out that I am also allergic on it :(

Chuckie

its a dip, not a sauce.

also its not good

It literally means avocado sauce.

What's the difference between a dip and a sauce anyway?

I don't know about English, but in Dutch a dip is called a 'dipsaus' which just means it is a saus where you dip stuff in.

So regular 'saus' you poor over your dish, while with 'dipsaus' you dip the dish in the stuff. I think it is the same with English, considering dip comes from dipping sauce

Still both sauces though. So the 'it's a dip, not a sauce doesn't seem to make sense at all.

FloatOn

I just remembered that today is Japanese dark souls 3 day

we won't be seeing much of Jobbs around here I suspect

how the heck do you eat hotdogs unless you put ketchup on them? literally inedible

mustard goes on hot dogs. not ketchup

the only thing ketchup belongs on is fries.

Halcyon

I don't tend to eat avacado or guac even though I think they taste good.

I'm putting together a trampoline for my nephews. I'd almost rather be at work.

Chuckie

translations are imprecise. Salsa for example translates directly to sauce but is only sometimes a sauce and usually a dip

mustard belongs on sausage, not tube steak

how do you eat burgers?

See my other post. A dip is a dipping sauce. It is a sauce. Just applied on the dish in a different way.

Misha

Banned
See my other post. A dip is a dipping sauce. It is a sauce. Just applied on the dish in a different way.
maybe initially that was the meaning but thats not how the language works anymore. next you're going to try to tell me that spreads are also sauces smh

marrec

Banned
:: awakens ::

Wish I didn't read that avocado discussion

34 minutes until I'm done with you fucks

Jobbs we need to distinguish dips, sauces, and spreads before they all become one thing and we're putting salsa on our bread and dipping chips into Mayonnaise.

I don't tend to eat avacado or guac even though I think they taste good.

I'm putting together a trampoline for my nephews. I'd almost rather be at work.

I put together a trampoline once and it was awful, you're a good uncle.

Jobbs

Banned
I'm still laying here in couch and I'm thinking about the trampoline episode of the Simpsons and giggling like an idiot

This is hakcyxons plan to take out his nephews

And guacamole is a good dip. Guacamelee is a horrible shit game

A Fish Aficionado

I am going to make it through this year if it kills me
I'm still laying here in couch and I'm thinking about the trampoline episode of the Simpsons and giggling like an idiot

People are coming up with the worst opinions today.

:: awakens ::

Wish I didn't read that avocado discussion

34 minutes until I'm done with you fucks

Good then we won't have to deal with your mostly garbage opinions c:

EDIT:

This is hakcyxons plan to take out his nephews

It's some of the worst trash ever devised . the Wes Anderson movie of games

Case in fucking point, christ

marrec

Banned
It's some of the worst trash ever devised . the Wes Anderson movie of games

Playing the game was fun enough, the combat got to a point where it was strategically interesting and the combat unlockables basing itself on exploration, while not novel, was implemented really well. It turned the machismo of the culture it was appropriating on it's head while also paying homage to it, which was nice.

The shoehorned popculture references were trash, the story was trash, the map was trash.

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
Garlic mayo is the shit. So are wasabi mayo, Kewpie mayo and squid ink mayo.

Mayo is generally great, although it should be said that this assertion is only true as long as we are talking about homemade mayo. Bottled one is just Satan's foulest secretion.

Jobbs

Banned
Playing the game was fun enough, the combat got to a point where it was strategically interesting and the combat unlockables basing itself on exploration, while not novel, was implemented really well. It turned the machismo of the culture it was appropriating on it's head while also paying homage to it, which was nice.

The shoehorned popculture references were trash, the story was trash, the map was trash.

it all suffers from shit design

Misha

Banned
I remember watching a tv episode on sauce vs dip vs spread etc. was it seinfeld? cause that seems like the most likely. But I really can't remember so it could be wizards of waverly place for all I know

marrec

Banned
it all suffers from shit design

A lot of the environments were boring compared to contemporary games in it's genre. It was obvious that they designed it with gating exploration first, and making it look unique and interesting second.

Chuckie

maybe initially that was the meaning but thats not how the language works anymore. next you're going to try to tell me that spreads are also sauces smh

Dip is still short for dipping sauce. It is a specific kind of sauce, but still a sauce.

What you are implying is that people made a sauce for dipping, called it a dipping sauce. Then shorten the word to dip and it suddenly isn't sauce anymore. All the while it is still a sauce in Holland where we don't use the shortened version.

marrec

Banned
Dip is still short for dipping sauce. It is a specific kind of sauce, but still a sauce.

What you are implying is that people made a sauce for dipping, called it a dipping sauce. Then shorten the word to dip and it suddenly isn't sauce anymore. All the while it is still a sauce in Holland where we don't use the shortened version.

Hollands less evolved though everyone know that.

I'm cool with differentiating dip from sauce, but guac is so good it encompasses all forms of gooey spreadable non-newtonian fluids.

Misha

Banned

your misunderstanding is that the word sauce in america and the word sauce in holland are the same word. they carry different implications. like if you talk about biscuit in britain and america

I'm mostly just arguing for the sake of it. :p most dips and some spreads are forms of sauces but not all. Guac definitely fits all three but you try go for the most precise word for the situation anyway.

examples of stuff that are dips but not sauces:

FloatOn

I would classify guacamole as a spread when used on a sandwich. Dip when used for chips.

I tend to think that sauces are more liquid

marrec

Banned
Ain't nobody going to spread bean dip on a sandwich or put mustard on a salad or dip chips in a vinaigrette.

With guac though, you can do all those things. From chip to sandwich to lettuce (fuck that doesn't rhyme) you can use guac with EVERYTHING.

Misha

Banned
Ain't nobody going to spread bean dip on a sandwich or put mustard on a salad or dip chips in a vinaigrette.

With guac though, you can do all those things. From chip to sandwich to lettuce (fuck that doesn't rhyme) you can use guac with EVERYTHING.

I've had re-fried beans on burgers and honey mustard dressing. also here's a vinaigrette with chips

but I get what you mean :p

I would classify guacamole as a spread when used on a sandwich. Dip when used for chips.

I tend to think that sauces are more liquid

tbh "definitely" was probably too much of a concession from me. it and salsa run pretty close to the line. like hummus and stuff like that I definitely wouldn't call sauces but theres some thick tomato sauces that can have similar consistency to some guacs and salsas

Misha

Banned
I just remembered, I have a friend who used to call italian dressing "italian sauce" and dipped his pizza in it

dressing=sauce=dip

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom