• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FakeGAF Episode 5: The Thirst Awakens

Status
Not open for further replies.

Halcyon

well apart from the inline skating I think it's also my inner Introvert coming out. also I really don't wanna date a twat again, had too many of those lately :/

but maybe I'll take your advice, I need a couple more minutes to decide!

I remember feeling the exact same way about some of the women I was stringing along :p

They originally left Luke on Tatooine because it was out of the way and basically the space countryside (and because he had family there) so Vader wouldn't find him. Odds are that they left Rey on Jakku for more or less the same reason if you replace Vader with Kylo.

True, they already copied enough plot threads from the OT so that doesn't stretch belief too much, but it would be disappointing.

also,
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=196136177&postcount=2002

2k5YsUr.png

cracked myself up configuring my mii's voice.

That voice tech has promise. It wouldn't work outside of a quirky app like this without a lot of fine tuning, but it has promise!

Granadier

Is currently on Stage 1: Denial regarding the service game future
well apart from the inline skating I think it's also my inner Introvert coming out. also I really don't wanna date a twat again, had too many of those lately :/

but maybe I'll take your advice, I need a couple more minutes to decide!

One drink/date isn't dating :p

Best of luck.

ah what the hell. Imma do it. if he takes off his pants to show me his tat you'll be the first to know.

Hooray, have fun!

Halcyon

I want a girl with a short skirt

And a loooooooooooooooong jacket.

I feel like if Rey is actually Luke's daughter, then that changes my perspective on Luke. He knows what it's like to not have his parents, so he then goes and does literally the same exact thing? F that. He's Luke Skywalker and he should be able to protect her.

marrec

Banned

I feel like if Rey is actually Luke's daughter, then that changes my perspective on Luke. He knows what it's like to not have his parents, so he then goes and does literally the same exact thing? F that. He's Luke Skywalker and he should be able to protect her.

Never thought of it that way but I totally agree.

I really really don't want it to turn out that way, would be super lazy.

Misha

Banned
Never thought of it that way but I totally agree.

I really really don't want it to turn out that way, would be super lazy.

I wasn't even sold on Ben Solo till that one scene

sorta tired of making every event in the galaxy be related to one family

Great minds think alike, I guess.

I'd actually be more disappointed if
she turned out to be Luke's kid.

I was being a brat because people in that thread were complaining about TFA spoilers from one of the pics posted previously, so of course I had to one-up it by posting TFA spoilers posing as Goofy spoilers.

That's a great point. Star Wars is basically shitty parents: the saga.

Granadier

Is currently on Stage 1: Denial regarding the service game future
it isn't? always used that phrasing. even for like 1-2 dates. the more you know I guess :l
and thanks!

Might be different there, but at least in the States "dating" usually means that you have been seeing a person for more than a few dates and are interested in continuing the relationship. Also called "seeing someone" or "exclusive".

You can go on dates with any number of people without actually "dating" any of them.

marrec

Banned
I wasn't even sold on Ben Solo till that one scene

sorta tired of making every event in the galaxy be related to one family

I mean, I'm alright with the Lucas films being about Anakin's saga. Following that from beginning to end makes sense.

But at the beginning of that saga there's a fuck ton of other people in the universe and some of them are total badasses, and you have extended media that shows total badass, and none of these badasses are related to Shmi fucking Skywalker in anyway.

I'm sort of okay with Kylo Ren. It's melodramatic but what's Star Wars if not melodramatic.

But let's move away from the damn Skywalkers for this "next generation" pls.

That's a great point. Star Wars is basically shitty parents: the saga.

Can't think of a single good parent in the entire Star Wars saga besides Jango Fett. Dude did his best.

Misha

Banned
I mean, I'm alright with the Lucas films being about Anakin's saga. Following that from beginning to end makes sense.

But at the beginning of that saga there's a fuck ton of other people in the universe and some of them are total badasses, and you have extended media that shows total badass, and none of these badasses are related to Shmi fucking Skywalker in anyway.

I'm sort of okay with Kylo Ren. It's melodramatic but what's Star Wars if not melodramatic.

But let's move away from the damn Skywalkers for this "next generation" pls.

I can't wait for rogue one

Jobbs

Banned
One thing that irks me about several Star Wars movies is their inconsistent portrayal of lightsabers and swordsmanship. I've always believed a couple of core things:

• Effectively wielding a lightsaber requires years of dedication, with most Jedi starting at a very young age
  • A lightsaber being, individually, of great importance to the owner, an extension of themselves that they would have built themselves as sort of a Jedi rite of passage
The prequels seem to honor the first rule, but they shit on the second. Lightsabers are everywhere. They're disposable. Anakin and Obi Wan, you lost your lightsabers again? Here's two more! *tosses them* Lightsabers are so abundant and meaningless that people just carry extras around.

TFA has the reverse problem. The movie and characters place great significance in a single lightsaber, Luke's (the one he lost in Cloud City -- Which, come to think of it, I suppose can be traced back to the one tossed to Anakin by random Jedi who carries extra lightsabers around in his pockets? ugh..). However, anyone can apparently wield one pretty effectively, even if they've literally never held one before.

I half expect to learn that Rey has had previous training and forgotten it or something, though, which will make my complaints go away.

marrec

Banned
Finally, the first onscreen appearance of the bothans.

I hope we see the Bothans in Star Wars Rebels, that show is decent.

One thing that irks me about several Star Wars movies is their inconsistent portrayal of lightsabers and swordsmanship. I've always believed a couple of core things:

• Effectively wielding a lightsaber requires years of dedication, with most Jedi starting at a very young age
  • A lightsaber being, individually, of great importance to the owner, an extension of themselves that they would have built themselves as sort of a Jedi rite of passage
The prequels seem to honor the first rule, but they shit on the second. Lightsabers are everywhere. They're disposable. Anakin and Obi Wan, you lost your lightsabers again? Here's two more! *tosses them* Lightsabers are so abundant and meaningless that people just carry extras around.

TFA has the reverse problem. The movie and characters place great significance in a single lightsaber, Luke's (the one he lost in Cloud City -- Which, come to think of it, I suppose can be traced back to the one tossed to Anakin by random Jedi who carries extra lightsabers around in his pockets? ugh..). However, anyone can apparently wield one pretty effectively, even if they've literally never held one before.

I half expect to learn that Rey has had previous training and forgotten it or something, though, which will make my complaints go away.

I think the impression that lightsabers are some rare rite of passage is more an original trilogy myth. Since all the Jedi are dead there wouldn't be a lot of people around to make lightsabers.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
I need to date someone again

I need to get over this gripping fear that it might be a repeat of the demon succubus from before

Jobbs

Banned
I hope we see the Bothans in Star Wars Rebels, that show is decent.

I think the impression that lightsabers are some rare rite of passage is more an original trilogy myth. Since all the Jedi are dead there wouldn't be a lot of people around to make lightsabers.

It's greatly reinforced by the EU, though. I know the EU doesn't matter anymore, but I remember in, for example, KOTOR, the final phase of my Jedi training was making my own lightsaber.

zeemumu

You're gonna cut your hand off eventually if you don't have jedi reflexes due to the nature of having a blade with all of the weight in the hilt.. That said, they try to save face with it in episode 2 with Anakin remarking that Obi-Wan's gonna kill him for having his lightsaber destroyed and when he drops it and Obi-Wan gets pissed and tells him "this weapon is your life" but that's done so poorly.

Yeah, being able to master a lightsaber takes decades of training like any skill. They also signify your title in the Jedi Order based on the color. But they really shouldn't have spares laying around because you're supposed to build your own (unless they were ones used for training, I guess. Training lightsabers were a thing with low intensity blades so the younglings don't kill themselves). That's why all lightsabers are different in some small way that you won't recognize outside of the color and those weird ones like Dooku's unless you really look at them. I assume they just brought those because they knew that Obi-Wan and Anakin would have been disarmed and needed weapons.

Kylo Renn was already injured from tanking a bowcaster shot and was insane with angst. He was in no condition to fight another force-sensitive lightsaber user. That's the only reason why Finn lasted as long as he did and why Rey even stood a chance (also he was holding back against Rey because he wanted to turn her).

bothans were for death star 2 not death star 1. you're gonna have to wait longer

Alan Tudyk as a bothan would have been amazing though

Damn it you're right.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
I hear ya :( that's my fear too.
but we can do it!! I belive in you and your sexual urges that will probably force you to get out there at some point.
sunglasses%2Bemoticon.png

Jokes aside, really, I wish every thirsty member in this thread the best

Jobbs

Banned
Kylo Renn was already injured from tanking a bowcaster shot and was insane with angst. He was in no condition to fight another force-sensitive lightsaber user. That's the only reason why Finn lasted as long as he did and why Rey even stood a chance (also he was holding back against Rey because he wanted to turn her).

Kylo was more or less toying with her until the "super power mode" moment when Rey suddenly became good because movies.

The fight scene, on its merits, was excellent. No flamboyant dance choreography, actual meaning and drama, actual characters we're invested in -- All problems from the prequels that have been corrected.

It just bothers me that a nobody with no training can do any of that, FS or not. If Rey has had some training and it was suppressed or whatever, which is a theory of mine, that would explain a lot of things. I guess we'll just see.

I hope we see a return to some of the mysticism of the force, some of the transcendent Yoda stuff from ESB... Wars not make one great.. All that. It's not about needing to win the battle, maybe it's about not even needing the battle. That's the kind of stuff ESB started to get into.

The prequels turned the force and jedi into a video game, with their treatment of Yoda being the most regrettable.. But maybe we can forget that ever happened

Remember this? This shit is beautiful. "Luminous beings are we. Not this crude matter."

zeemumu

I'm not the person in this hypothetical situation. race isn't a concern for me for attraction :p

So98E17.png

Perfect setup.

But yeah, someone treating race as a negative as if you have to settle would make them a piece of shit.

Kylo was more or less toying with her until the "super power mode" moment when Rey suddenly became good because movies.

The fight scene, on its merits, was excellent. No flamboyant dance choreography, actual meaning and drama, actual characters we're invested in -- All problems from the prequels that have been corrected.

It just bothers me that a nobody with no training can do any of that, FS or not. If Rey has had some training and it was suppressed or whatever, which is a theory of mine, that would explain a lot of things. I guess we'll just see.

I hope we see a return to some of the mysticism of the force, some of the transcendent Yoda stuff from ESB... Wars not make one great.. All that. It's not about needing to win the battle, maybe it's about not even needing the battle. That's the kind of stuff ESB started to get into.

The prequels turned the force and jedi into a video game, with their treatment of Yoda being the most regrettable.. But maybe we can forget that ever happened

Well I mean she's not gonna be deflecting blaster fire up and down the galaxy or doing sick flips with no training. There is such a force power that buffs skill.

Halcyon

@Jobbs
I'm pretty sure she was being trained by Luke along side Kylo when shit hit the fan, but I don't know why she doesn't remember any of it.

SolVanderlyn

Real answer: We won't know until Episode VIII

(I love when big name movies do cliffhangers and foreshadowing to future movies)

Misha

Banned
It sounds kinda racist on the surface. Like they're making an exception for black people but only cause they're super thirsty or something.

okay i guess context is weird. how about you're talking about civil rights and such and the person says "I like black people. I'd even date one."

SolVanderlyn

It's Friday, I'm done grading

Guess what that means

I'm drunk

FloatOn

wow so I've actually had to work today...

:: catches up on thread ::

:: star wars ::

:: gifts ::

: dating ::

about the usual.

birthdays kind of stopped being a big deal to me once I turned 30. I think at that point in my life I had everything I want/need material-wise. I have a house, a car, a computer, a phone, okay tv. at this point gifts would just be really expensive upgrades and I'm not going to ask for that.

so I get random little trinkets from family and friends. and gift cards. lots of gift cards.

concerning star wars.... my hope is that

Rey isn't related to anymore. That she is literal fresh blood. As far as her connection to Luke goes, I think it would be cool if he adopted her kind of fulfiling an obi-wan kind of role. She starts as an orphan, he was made an orphan and taken in by obi-wan. It's like poetry if this were true. And as to why she doesn't remember, I like the mind wipe theory.

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
As far as birthdays go, I prefer a call from my friends than the gifts themselves. With that said, my old American coworkers never miss a chance to mess with me. Last year I got one of those jeweled butt plugs (no kidding) and I believe this time they are sending something bigger since it's already in the mail and they warned me about custom charges...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom