• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FakeGAF Episode 5: The Thirst Awakens

Status
Not open for further replies.

FloatOn

As far as birthdays go, I prefer a call from my friends than the gifts themselves. With that said, my old American coworkers never miss a chance to mess with me. Last year I got one of those jeweled butt plugs (no kidding) and I believe this time they are sending something bigger since it's already in the mail and they warned me about custom charges...

you better post pics when it comes in

okay i guess context is weird. how about you're talking about civil rights and such and the person says "I like black people. I'd even date one."

It suggests that's unusual or at least unexpected by the audience. It doesn't necessarily mean the person in question thinks they're special for being so progressive, more that they anticipate others would think so.

See, I don't think it's too out of line to say people usually date others who are normal for them. For some people, black people are not normal to them. For most people, transgender and handicapped people are not normal to them (please note I'm NOT conflating the two!). And when someone's not normal to you it brings up fears that it will be harder for you to relate or draw an adequate amount of satisfaction from the other, as opposed to someone more your normal. Which is definitely closed-minded, but it's an understandable hesitation. A lot of people are okay with others existing as long as they don't have to mingle with them, which is shitty, so the person you're quoting is trying to say they're not like that.

zeemumu

okay i guess context is weird. how about you're talking about civil rights and such and the person says "I like black people. I'd even date one."

That still sounds bad. They probably didn't intend for it to sound bad but there really isn't a way to say that last part unless someone specifically asked you if you would, and even then, not that exact sentence

Jobbs

Banned
Conceptually I have no problem with the idea of dating someone of other races, and in my life have been attracted to women of different races. Just never asked one out. Not sure why. I think I'm more intimidated if the person isn't white. That may be a stupid reason, but I never claimed to not be stupid.

Misha

Banned
It suggests that's unusual or at least unexpected by the audience. It doesn't necessarily mean the person in question thinks they're special for being so progressive, more that they anticipate others would think so.

See, I don't think it's too out of line to say people usually date others who are normal for them. For some people, black people are not normal to them. For most people, transgender and handicapped people are not normal to them (please note I'm NOT conflating the two!). And when someone's not normal to you it brings up fears that it will be harder for you to relate or draw an adequate amount of satisfaction from the other, as opposed to someone more your normal. Which is definitely closed-minded, but it's an understandable hesitation. A lot of people are okay with others existing as long as they don't have to mingle with them, which is shitty, so the person you're quoting is trying to say they're not like that.
I don't see how thinking yourself special or wanting someone else think you're special are different
I agree that in some situations its more normal to date some group of people than others but on the other hand, it should be considered abnormal to exclude groups of people, rather than something surprising

yes I am essentially talking about "Political Correctness" but what I'm more concerned about is that I don't think it comes across well to the very people they're trying to show appreciation for
(edit that sounded weird to bring up. what i mean is I'm concerned about their tone and I know its not the end of the world and I know they're harmless)
That still sounds bad. They probably didn't intend for it to sound bad but there really isn't a way to say that last part unless someone specifically asked you if you would, and even then, not that exact sentence

well in this context, they were the ones who brought it up and I'm not really sure that it adds much positive

I was referencing that I've banged women of various ethnic backgrounds. So to answer your question. Vaginas.

And here I was going to post a bunch of vacation photos! But now I'm not going to. I'm just going to listen to this Johnny Cash playlist and draw stuff.

(good for you!)

I don't see how thinking yourself special or wanting someone else think you're special are different
I agree that in some situations its more normal to date some group of people than others but on the other hand, it should be considered abnormal to exclude groups of people, rather than something surprising

yes I am essentially talking about "Political Correctness" but what I'm more concerned about is that I dont' think it comes across well to the very people they're trying to show appreciaiton for

No, that's not it. It's not wanting someone to think you're unusual, it's acknowledging that they probably will think you're unusual. Like none of you would flinch to hear I kissed a girl once, but my ultra conservative grandma would have a conniption. I don't think that makes me bad nor unusual, but she sure would.

Jobbs

Banned
I dated a Swedish girl. She was even whiter than me, so I guess that's sorta another race? At least a more extreme version of my race.

I like the idea of traveling more than I actually like traveling. I'm a curious person and I'm interested in culture, but I also hate traveling

zeemumu

And here I was going to post a bunch of vacation photos! But now I'm not going to. I'm just going to listen to this Johnny Cash playlist and draw stuff.

(good for you!)

Don't do this. I haven't traveled in a long time and all my friends do is post photos of places abroad that I either don't have the money to travel to or would have a very awkward time there if I did. I don't want reminders that the world extends beyond the western hemisphere.

Halcyon

(good for you!)

I think everybody wants the vacation photos.

Here I am at the beach doing weird things with my hands!
kuwrPM4l.jpg

DrM

Redmond's Baby
I hate the dorms

I never experienced dorm life and I consider myself lucky
Though I spent quite some time in college dorms :p

off to bed, must be awake in like 6 hours or so. Can somebody please help me with my job search? I am highly mobile and can migrate to another part of the world.

Misha

Banned
No, that's not it. It's not wanting someone to think you're unusual, it's acknowledging that they probably will think you're unusual. Like none of you would flinch to hear I kissed a girl once, but my ultra conservative grandma would have a conniption. I don't think that makes me bad nor unusual, but she sure would.

Wouldn't that be just as bad when we're considering that the person who's listening wouldn't find that unusual? It would come from their own belief that everyone else thinks its unusual and wouldn't it therefore be them thinking they were doing something extra special? or at least isn't that the implication?

Jobbs

Banned

I kinda don't. someone will have to notify me when the flood of quoting has stopped. I could give a shit less about vacation photos

edit: that sounded ruder than I intended, I was smiling when I wrote it. but yeah, no vacation photos please

Halcyon

I kinda don't. someone will have to notify me when the flood of quoting has stopped. I could give a shit less about vacation photos

edit: that sounded ruder than I intended, I was smiling when I wrote it. but yeah, no vacation photos please

Buckle up Jobbs. We got REELS to get through.

31oxRe9OT5L.jpg

Here I am at the beach doing weird things with my hands!
kuwrPM4l.jpg

Sometimes I forget the beach is a vacation for most people. This is where I live :p

J33wQJS.jpg

Wouldn't that be just as bad when we're considering that the person who's listening wouldn't find that unusual? It would come from their own belief that everyone else thinks its unusual and wouldn't it therefore be them thinking they were doing something extra special? or at least isn't that the implication?

Yes. It speaks poorly to one party or the other, or possibly both. It's an awkward phrase because it's supposed to be recognizing a discrepancy in tastes.

FloatOn

personally, I get a kick out of all the inevitable Halcyon lust

yep. totally not jealous of that at all!

also, as an Orlandoan the closest beach to me like a 45 minute drive. I've lived here pretty much my whole life and so much like theme parks the beaches are also played out.

zeemumu

But do you use that as justification of your acceptance of people of other sexualities without being prompted? Because that would come off as weird.

Halcyon

Sometimes I forget the beach is a vacation for most people. This is where I live :p

J33wQJS.jpg

I'm jealous, but I would find this hilarious if you were actually the lady squatting in the back and you've just been stalking the pretty little blue haired girl and are catfishing GAF.

I'm jealous, but I would find this hilarious if you were actually the lady squatting in the back and you've just been stalking the pretty little blue haired girl and are catfishing GAF.

Oh my god I've been caught. Now revealing my true form!

But do you use that as justification of your acceptance of people of other sexualities without being prompted? Because that would come off as weird.

No, of course not.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
Lilith your new ava is weird and scares me

FloatOn

Oh, I can lust after you if it would help. :p

not that I don't appreciate it but I just don't get why gay dudes seem to be DTF and with girls I'm only doing average

like that one time I was in key west and some gay dude gave me some secret code number and I was like o_O

Jobbs

Banned
I think we have a release timeline for my game :eek:

not that I don't appreciate it but I just don't get why gay dudes seem to be DTF and with girls I'm only doing average

like that one time I was in key west and some gay dude gave me some secret code number and I was like o_O

probably because you care too much! gay dudes like you because you aren't worried about trying to hook up with them or what they think or whatever

Halcyon

probably because you care too much! gay dudes like you because you aren't worried about trying to hook up with them or what they think or whatever

I think you should delay it about 6 months and put a bunch of really convoluted hidden s*** in it.

jb1234

Haha. If it helps, I have the same problem. Women tend to be into me but dudes aren't (Vazra excepted). It's frustrating.

WHAT?

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.

Same

I set off people's gaydar like nobody's business. Females are generally averse to me. Based on how people respond, sometimes I wish I was gay.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom