• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FakeGAF Episode 5: The Thirst Awakens

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jobbs

Banned
good afternoon.

going to script characters all day again.

remind me not to have cutscenes or story or anything ever again

:: puts enormous amount of creamer into coffee ::

:: sips ::

:: can barely taste the coffee ::

:: perfection ::

zeemumu

good afternoon.

You really only need two for a Metroidvania: one at the beginning and one at the end.

Jobbs

Banned
You really only need two for a Metroidvania: one at the beginning and one at the end.

along the way you meet various characters and sometimes they do things.

right now I have to make a character physically run and jump etc. from one room of the map to like 4 rooms over, talking along the way.

there's no intelligent pathfinding in my game, so I can't just say "go here" and the unit will do it. I'm scripting every movement and animation change by hand.

Just make roguelikes and only roguelikes

yesssss

my big idea for one is a new genre I call "don't souls" which I may have already talked about.

:: hires you to program it ::

:: shitty pay ::

Misha

Banned
A lifetime supply of vodka
That does look about q lifetime supply for me. Good call
I'm still fine after a few glasses of wine and a beer.
I lost an Isaac run one that was massively overpowered with max hearts cause I couldn't stop dodging into stuff :(

good afternoon.

:: sips ::

:: can barely taste the coffee ::

:: perfection ::

Just make roguelikes and only roguelikes

Granadier

Is currently on Stage 1: Denial regarding the service game future
along the way you meet various characters and sometimes they do things.

right now I have to make a character physically run and jump etc. from one room of the map to like 4 rooms over, talking along the way.

there's no intelligent pathfinding in my game, so I can't just say "go here" and the unit will do it. I'm scripting every movement and animation change by hand.

You are a mad man!

zeemumu

I lost an Isaac run one that was massively overpowered with max hearts cause I couldn't stop dodging into stuff :(

After drinks we all started playing Mortal Kombat Test Your Luck. Functioning gaming drunk, I guess.

Jobbs, all I'm doing today is DLC shit, too. We can be friends!

I'm gonna take a look at Amazon Lumberyard and see if it's any good, and maybe screw around with Unity later.

zeemumu

Did I tell you about my idea of a soulsish roguelike?

What about a beat-em up or platformer where you get to pick two monsters from a wider selection and they act as a pair, using their unique powers to fight or solve puzzles? You can call it PAIR-ANORMAL.

Risgroo

Pretty eventful F1 race

now to Moto2 and MotoGP

Dat F1 and MotoGP double weekend
RgFtR7X.png

Yeah, very good race :) Shame Kimi's poor start and Vettel's engine robbed us of a truly great one.

Misha

Banned
What about a beat-em up or platformer where you get to pick two monsters from a wider selection and they act as a pair, using their unique powers to fight or solve puzzles? You can call it PAIR-ANORMAL.
Ewww beat-em ups and platformers
nope! it better not be stealing from MY idea for a soulsish roguelike.

The main unique mechanic is that your character has perma death and you have to find and fight your old undead corpse with a new character to get your equipment back

lol

Lightweight

No kidding. I barely weigh anything and that dramatically changes the blood alcohol chemistry.

Morning fake humans

I missed music talk and that makes me sad. Sadder still is Lilith shitting on LCD soundsystem

If I may add my .02, I think radiohead is the greatest band of all time and I can't fucking wait for the rumored new album to come out this year.

It's okay, you wouldn't love the music I listen to either. There's nothing wrong with that.

Did I tell you about my idea of a soulsish roguelike?

Ideas are a dime a dozen. Execution and exposure are everything.

Jobbs

Banned

The main unique mechanic is that your character has perma death and you have to find and fight your old undead corpse with a new character to get your equipment back

fascinating. I'd like to subscribe to your newsletter

Ideas are a dime a dozen. Execution and exposure are everything.

gonna make you all sign ten NDAs before I tell you my amazing idea because I am paranoid someone will steal my valuable idea that no one else has ever had because my ideas are awesome and no one else can think of them

Granadier

Is currently on Stage 1: Denial regarding the service game future
I'm tired of saying it but I dislike the very notion of "guilty pleasure" I only believe in pleasure

Guilty implies that you should feel bad for enjoying it. Which is kinda messed up. So yeah, I agree.

Tfw you single me out

I tried to make a blog but it only lasted one entry

I didn't mean to. It's a general principal that applies to everybody.

Ideas take a lot to get up and running, and they take a lot more work to become fun and polished. Most game devs have several ideas floating around in their head, possibly even dozens, and you never stop coming up with new ideas. Yet there's only time to work on one or two at a time, and it'll take a lot of time and effort to pattern out.

If I seem jaded or disparaging it's because I've seen several thousand ideas for games over the last decade as I've built stuff and hung around others building stuff, but I've seen far fewer good games get made than that.

But if you really believe in your idea, great! Do what you can to figure out how you can make it happen! :)

You would be surprised to know that I have several guilty top 40 favorites.

I'm of the opinion that popular things are popular for a good reason.

Not everyone has to like every popular thing but that doesn't make the popular thing less deserving of its popularity.

Ideas take a lot to get up and running, and they take a lot more work to become fun and polished. Most game devs have several ideas floating around in their head, possibly even dozens, and you never stop coming up with new ideas. Yet there's only time to work on one or two at a time, and it'll take a lot of time and effort to pattern out.

If I seem jaded or disparaging it's because I've seen several thousand ideas for games over the last decade as I've built stuff and hung around others building stuff, but I've seen far fewer good games get made than that.

But if you really believe in your idea, great! Do what you can to figure out how you can make it happen! :)

Rami Ismail of Vlambeer does good talks about this sort of thing. In one of them he just called on a random member of the audience and was like "You, gimme a game idea." and the guy, after getting over the nerves of being called on, came up with an idea in like 5 minutes.

Misha

Banned

I'm just teasing. I come up with tons of ideas but I only expect a couple to ever have anything done and who knows how good they'll end up.

Actually the main reason why I don't have a problem with sharing my ideas is exactly because of that. I don't know if I'll ever get them done so if someone else did that would be cool too and even if it ended up competing with me, theres still the matter of execution
Also I'd rather treat it like art rather than a product
Zombi has this mechanic. It's pretty cool.

gosh darn. beaten again

Not everyone has to like every popular thing but that doesn't make the popular thing less deserving of its popularity.

I don't think anything "deserves" to be popular. By definition, the word is based on mass positive opinion. People just like what they like and don't like what they don't like.

zeemumu

But I drew this mummy and everything! For platforming he was going to use his bandages to swing and for combat he could use them to pull in enemies. Then he and the other person could do a group attack called "Shoot the moon" where the other character grabs mummy and uses him as a human yo-yo to attack enemies from a distance.

gosh darn. beaten again

You could still do it. It's not common and is really cool.

Jobbs

Banned
it's a peav of mine when someone else acts defensive over their idea

I don't do it at all. I let me ideas flow. I don't care

ideas are mostly worthless

----

btw, I think it's kind of like cheating when someone cries in response to an argument. it's because I can go no further after that point, I'm disarmed, but it's so passive aggressive -- it's like I'm not allowed to be angry, and I'm not allowed to be right. You have to win just because I have too much decency to not show compassion when someone is in emotional distress.

Rami Ismail of Vlambeer does good talks about this sort of thing. In one of them he just called on a random member of the audience and was like "You, gimme a game idea." and the guy, after getting over the nerves of being called on, came up with an idea in like 5 minutes.

Wow, that's bold, but good on Rami!

I'm just teasing. I come up with tons of ideas but I only expect a couple to ever have anything done and who knows how good they'll end up.

Actually the main reason why I don't have a problem with sharing my ideas is exactly because of that. I don't know if I'll ever get them done so if someone else did that would be cool too and even if it ended up competing with me, theres still the matter of execution
Also I'd rather treat it like art rather than a product

Right, but also it's easy to develop feelings for an idea without really thinking things out. A sort of game-dev crush, if you will. It's not until you see that idea in action or try to work things out with the idea that you'll see whether it's actually a even good idea in the first place. Some ideas are attractive but have lots of flaws and it's too hard to make it work.

To that end, I prefer romancing game ideas that I can date or get a solid impression of.

FloatOn

I'm of the opinion that popular things are popular for a good reason.

I think pretty often popular things target and appeal to the lowest common denominator. Hence "guilty pleasure"

Sometimes though, a thing is lightning in a bottle and it is both extremely popular but also maintains artistic integrity. I feel the Souls series is a good example of this.

Jobbs

Banned
I think pretty often popular things target and appeal to the lowest common denominator. Hence "guilty pleasure"

Sometimes though, a thing is lightning in a bottle and it is both extremely popular but also maintains artistic integrity. I feel the Souls series is a good example of this.

so what, though?

if you like something, then who cares? why defend or justify it? own it.

Misha

Banned
But I drew this mummy and everything! For platforming he was going to use his bandages to swing and for combat he could use them to pull in enemies. Then he and the other person could do a group attack called "Shoot the moon" where the other character grabs mummy and uses him as a human yo-yo to attack enemies from a distance.

if you make it I'm sure you could get other people who aren't me to play it!

You could still do it. It's not common and is really cool.
yeah especially in the genre it would be unique and if you combine that with a lot of the other mechanics, it would fit the type of medieval wasteland pretty well
Right, but also it's easy to develop feelings for an idea without really thinking things out. A sort of game-dev crush, if you will. It's not until you see that idea in action or try to work things out with the idea that you'll see whether it's actually a even good idea in the first place. Some ideas are attractive but have lots of flaws and it's too hard to make it work.

To that end, I prefer romancing game ideas that I can date or get a solid impression of.

I get attached to all my ideas but I don't feel the need for most of them to be seen through. A lot of it is just to entertain myself and I don't feel the need for visuals or anything for that

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
Worst marketing campaign ever

mw3gy8A.jpg

It's seltzer. WTF

FloatOn

so what, though?

if you like something, then who cares? why defend or justify it? own it.

I'm not insecure of my like of something that doesn't have as much integrity as I would prefer. I just recognize how shallow it is.

Nothing wrong with shallow so long as it is not the entirety of what you are about. It's about balance.

I know people that are on the other end that refuse to listen to pop on principle and that is about the most elitist shit I have ever seen.

I don't believe the lowest common denominator has anything to do with people. LCD gets ridiculously low results, and for 99.99% of integer sets the LCD is 1.

No, what you're looking for is the shape in the venn diagram with the largest surface area, which has no intrinsic value association.

Worst marketing campaign ever

http://i.imgur.com/mw3gy8A.jpg

It's seltzer. WTF

seems to have worked on you! :p

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
seems to have worked on you! :p
...touché.

To be fair, I've been drinking it since forever. It's like if you were really good friends with someone and they suddenly became interested in some garbage pop culture phenomenon.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom