• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FakeGAF Episode 5: The Thirst Awakens

Status
Not open for further replies.

FloatOn

I don't believe the lowest common denominator has anything to do with people. LCD gets ridiculously low results, and for 99.99% of integer sets the LCD is 1.

No, what you're looking for is the shape in the venn diagram with the largest surface area, which has no intrinsic value association.

Have you watched Mad Men? Creators specifically target the people that are easily manipulated for the sole purpose of making obscene amounts of money. The problem is the motivation of the creator, most things that are popular are created for the specific purpose of making money. This is an issue of credibility and integrity. When I support things that have this motivation I don't feel as good as supporting something that is trying to say something new or is the original/uncompromised vision of the artist.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
Have you watched Mad Men? Creators specifically target the people that are easily manipulated for the sole purpose of making obscene amounts of money. The problem is the motivation of the creator, most things that are popular are created for the specific purpose of making money. This is an issue of credibility and integrity. When I support things that have this motivation I don't feel as good as supporting something that is trying to say something new or is the original/uncompromised vision of the artist.
I feel like Game of Thrones is an exception to this rule, as it was created with artistic integrity and is insanely popular. Something like that is the ideal.

Not sure where Harry Potter lies. But yeah, I totally understand this. I'm writing a book right now and am struggling with the questions of "what do the readers want?" and "what makes a good story?" and the answer isn't always the same.

Okay but I don't think that someone being easily manipulated makes it inherently bad to manipulate them.

Obviously it's bad in the case of selling unhealthy narcotic substances with the tobacco industry, but what's unhealthy about pop music?

640.jpg

i can't.

Vazra

irresponsible vagina leak
Okay but I don't think that someone being easily manipulated makes it inherently bad to manipulate them.

Obviously it's bad in the case of selling unhealthy narcotic substances with the tobacco industry, but what's unhealthy about pop music?

That the artist that sing most of the music dont write or produce their own songs and the music is mindless for most of the part is my guess. I dont see any issue on it if the music is enjoyable but to some "Artistic Integrity" is important.

zeemumu

This is the same logic that the mobile app micro transaction guys used in South Park.

Also I get mad at Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles fans for not realizing that their childhood was centered around selling toys. Rich narrative my ass.

That the artist that sing most of the music dont write or produce their own songs and the music is mindless for most of the part is my guess. I dont see any issue on it if the music is enjoyable but to some "Artistic Integrity" is important.

That doesn't make any sense to me. People who value artistic integrity can and do seek it out, so they're not being slighted in any way. Yet not everyone needs that to be happy. To the contrary, a lot of people enjoy when celebrities do something just to be popular.

You shouldn't be upset that other people enjoy something different from what you enjoy.

Vazra

That doesn't make any sense to me. People who value artistic integrity can and do seek it out, so they're not being slighted in any way. Yet not everyone needs that to be happy. To the contrary, a lot of people enjoy when celebrities do something just to be popular.

You shouldn't be upset that other people enjoy something different from what you enjoy.

I know and I don't pay much attention to who created stuff as long as the music is enjoyable. If they work on their own stuff I give more props to them but overall if you enjoy it there is no problem with liking something that was created to appeal the masses. Some people take things a bit too seriously when sometimes they need to relax about the whole authenticity thing.

I wouldn't mind if they didn't shit on future stuff designed to make money because it's not their turtles.

Butthurt fanboys piss everyone off. But in the end it doesn't matter.

I'm not going to defend butthurt.

Someone wants to make a game for free? Fine. That's their call. But they shouldn't be bitchy because EA also exists. The concept of the Pure Artist vs. The Man is as much a marketing ploy as Christmas.

Misha

Banned

this is a weird way to fame everything. in order to make money, they're making things that are made so as many people will like it as possible.

Whats wrong with making things so that people will like it?

mobile games are definitely something that went to far with it though since their goal is to not only get a bunch of people to play it but to take advantage of personality flaws to take as much of those people's money as possible

(I'm agreeing with you btw. I just figured this is where that part of the conversation was left)

zeemumu

this is a weird way to fame everything. in order to make money, they're making things that are made so as many people will like it as possible.

Whats wrong with making things so that people will like it?

mobile games are definitely something that went to far with it though since their goal is to not only get a bunch of people to play it but to take advantage of personality flaws to take as much of those people's money as possible

(I'm agreeing with you btw. I just figured this is where that part of the conversation was left)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4duJdeKTwHY

I feel like it's an argument between making things purely for making money and making things because you like them. The former feels more detrimental to progress at time.

Vazra

I'm not going to defend butthurt.

Someone wants to make a game for free? Fine. That's their call. But they shouldn't be bitchy because EA also exists. The concept of the Pure Artist vs. The Man is as much a marketing ploy as Christmas.

Overall there is room for all of them. And there is nothing wrong with there being the manufactured to appeal the masses or the people that only care about the arts. If you like the products they put out that is what matters. There is mediocre mainstream content in the same way there is mediocre indie content. What matters is for the consumer to be pleased with the product they get. People shouldn't complain much about how they create their games for the mainstream or the hardcore but the quality of said product. Everyone has different routes to get what they want.

If the product you enjoyed it and felt something for it shouldn't matter much where it came from either a big company doing it for the money or a small team doing it for their love of the art.

In other news: What happened to GAF? LOL

FloatOn

There are certainly worse things but only listening to surface level pop music, books, shows, movies etc rob a person of time they could spend on things that improve/inspire who they are.

FloatOn

My incredibly useful addition to this discussion:

~*~Capitalism~*~

It is possible for capitalism to be done right. Several companies get the importance of work/life balance of the worker for instance. See also: companies with flat hierarchies

I know it's not fashionable or trendy to defend capitalism but the blanket statement that it is always shit is extremely childish.

Misha

Banned
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4duJdeKTwHY

I feel like it's an argument between making things purely for making money and making things because you like them. The former feels more detrimental to progress at time.

I guess the problem then is assuming that wanting mass appeal means your entire goal is purely money. I don't see how something that's primary or secondary focus is for people to enjoy themselves is a problem (so long as they aren't doing it to the detriment of those people)

zeemumu

I guess the problem then is assuming that wanting mass appeal means your entire goal is purely money. I don't see how something that's primary or secondary focus is for people to enjoy themselves is a problem (so long as they aren't doing it to the detriment of those people)

I think that pumping out the same stuff over and over because they've had success with it in the past it doesn't allow for anything new to come out, and I think that's detrimental to society because they'll be stuck in a loop of complacency. That's the type that I have a problem with. When you make something that you know people will like because it's been done before as opposed to making something new that you like and hope that other people will too.

Japanese work ethic thread is insanely depressing.

I need to siphon some of that work ethic and keep it for myself.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
Japanese work ethic thread is insanely depressing.

Granadier

Is currently on Stage 1: Denial regarding the service game future
I love those little bugs that slip through and cause everything to be fucked.
So awesome!

It is possible for capitalism to be done right. Several companies get the importance of work/life balance of the worker for instance. See also: companies with flat hierarchies

I know it's not fashionable or trendy to defend capitalism but the blanket statement that it is always shit is extremely childish.

Hey, people aren't supposed to take my capitalism shitposts seriously, that's not fair

*can come up with a legitimate response but can't be fucked right now*

SolVanderlyn

I brought back the beard for a week to see if anyone at work cared.

They didn't.

Then I shaved it off because now I'm used to not having one. Grass is always greener, etc.

Risgroo

Soooo, after a nice Sunday full of motorsports, I decided to give NASCAR another chance:

:: tunes in ::

*country rock playing*
*cars turning left on warm-up lap*
Hick-as-hell commentator says: "BOOGITYBOOGITYBOOGITY, LET'S GO RACING, BOYS!
*cars go left a bit faster*

:: turns off ::

AcridMeat

Banned
I bought some beer and gummi bears. We Sunday prepped now.
there's no catch. maybe the lack of sex, but that may just be for me :,c
Lack of sex isn't so much of a catch but a disappointment.
bvFgD26l.png

So I'm there drinking right? For two hours, waiting for her to text me back with a time she wants to meet. I hear nothing, I assume she's just flaking on plans like last time. That doesn't really bother me. So I walk home and collapse on the living room floor in a heap. 4 and a half hours later I get a text. "Hey you wanna do something". The greatest regret of my life. Anyway she lives in Brisbane now (knew she was leaving even before I asked her out) so it's not like I missed out on anything long term. I wished her good luck in the new city, she never replied, I assume she either doesn't like me now, or never did.
Aw man, that's a shame. There will be others friend.
Dat F1 and MotoGP double weekend
RgFtR7X.png

Yeah, very good race :) Shame Kimi's poor start and Vettel's engine robbed us of a truly great one.
This is from Bahrain right? Never liked that track.

Also I get mad at Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles fans for not realizing that their childhood was centered around selling toys. Rich narrative my ass.

"Shreddeeer!"
"What is it now, Krang?"
"Did you forget to put out the trash again?"
"But we don't have a-"
"Because I'm reading it! *guurg* "
"Why you..."

Rewatching the old show is fun in the first seasons. That married couple routine never gets old. Too bad they saw Batman TAS and thought the show needed to become more serious past that point (though Avery moving on was a factor, Bebop and Rocksteady as well as meta-aware Ralph managed to even that out). Took all the energy out of it.

The 2003 show is good though. Good animation to boot. I can't compare with the latest show because I haven't seen it, but they went back to "he-hey, I made a funny" with that one, so I suppose it's at least funny.

Selling toys or not, at least we had Saturday morning cartoons. Batman TAS wiped the floor with all of them though, and was the only one I actually cared about. The other, including the Turtles, were forgettable. Hell, I didn't even remember that there was, and I had seen, an Iron Man cartoon. And a Fantastic Four one, of which I remember nothing except Galactus.

Risgroo

This is from Bahrain right? Never liked that track.

hyR3Kip.jpg

bruh

It's not among the most spectacular tracks on the calendar, sure, but man does it produce some great racing. The run from down the main straight all they way through T4 is just amazing when they're battling. T9 (the downhill left-hander) is a great little corner as well.

I actually used to dislike it, but ever since they made it a night race it's been brilliant!

Sorry for posting so much racing stuff. I'll stop soon. Maybe.

SolVanderlyn

:: spills copious amounts of each of these into coffee ::

:: no regrets ::

GeexcF1.png
Only thing you need in coffee is this

799.jpg

SolVanderlyn

Hey I'm drunk again

AcridMeat

Banned
It's not among the most spectacular tracks on the calendar, sure, but man does it produce some great racing. The run from down the main straight all they way through T4 is just amazing when they're battling. T9 (the downhill left-hander) is a great little corner as well.

I actually used to dislike it, but ever since they made it a night race it's been brilliant!
I know how the layout is, I think S1 is actually pretty good but most of it is ass imo.

I had no idea they changed it to a night race though that sounds much better.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom