• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FakeGAF Episode 5: The Thirst Awakens

Status
Not open for further replies.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
It's a recent problem

edit: Not entirely true, but it was much better for a long period of time

Teaching stresses you out

Double edit: well that was depressing, I'll see myself out for the next few hours

The weather's so nice today. Went out for lunch and then rode bikes by the beach. It's kind of a shame I'm most likely spending the rest of it indoors.

you people get drunk too much.

hmm, could you quantify where too much starts and to what level it should be brought down to avoid the moniker? I don't think I get drunk too much but I also don't want to be seen as a drunkard.

A Fish Aficionado

I am going to make it through this year if it kills me
hyR3Kip.jpg

bruh

It's not among the most spectacular tracks on the calendar, sure, but man does it produce some great racing. The run from down the main straight all they way through T4 is just amazing when they're battling. T9 (the downhill left-hander) is a great little corner as well.

I actually used to dislike it, but ever since they made it a night race it's been brilliant!

Sorry for posting so much racing stuff. I'll stop soon. Maybe.

Did you hear fernando's sick burn?
http://www.skysports.com/f1/news/24...uld-retire-says-sky-sports-f1s-johnny-herbert

It's a recent problem

edit: Not entirely true, but it was much better for a long period of time

Teaching stresses you out

Double edit: well that was depressing, I'll see myself out for the next few hours

stay with us, c'mon! but you need to be careful. next thing you know you're asking your date what a rectangle really is.
hmm, could you quantify where too much starts and to what level it should be brought down to avoid the moniker? I don't think I get drunk too much but I also don't want to be seen as a drunkard.

since I've been following this thread and the thread before I'm kinda seeing a reccuring pattern here. not to sound too preachy, I get hammered too sometimes but especially sitting home alone infront of a computer while doing so on a regular basis is not always the best sign.

I don't mean it in a judgemental way, just making sure people are fine

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
I always figured if you can function socially, drinking is ok, no matter how much you do it. But increasingly disapproving responses from people I respect or care about is making me rethink that. I used to be straight-edge. I drink twice a week now. :/

Some people approve of things, while others don't. It's impossible to cater to everyone. What a frustrating social conundrum.

stay with us, c'mon! but you need to be careful. next thing you know you're asking your date what a rectangle really is.
but what really is a rectangle tho

since I've been following this thread and the thread before I'm kinda seeing a reccuring pattern here. not to sound too preachy, I get hammered too sometimes but especially sitting home alone infront of a computer while doing so on a regular basis is not always the best sign.

I don't mean it in a judgemental way, just making sure people are fine

Oh, I see what you mean. Well nine times out of ten when I drink it's with other people, but I'm glad you're looking out for us! :)

Jobbs

Banned
I tried the find hte post a while ago where I called the thread a bunch of drunks and got attacked by everyone for my judgementalness

Can't find it! Not good at internet

SolVanderlyn

Time is a flat circle.
The concept of time is limited, henceforth, it cannot be a circle, as a circle has no beginning and no end. A circle is closer to infinity than any substantial reference to our perception of time.

Universe = line

Outside our universe (? Heaven?) - circle

SolVanderlyn

I would love to have drinks with some of the people in this thread, social drinking can be healthy I think

zeemumu

I tried the find hte post a while ago where I called the thread a bunch of drunks and got attacked by everyone for my judgementalness

Can't find it! Not good at internet

Maybe it was the actual drunk thread. This thread's wine while that thread's beer.

I don't drink that often. I like to keep my mind clear.

I always figured if you can function socially, drinking is ok, no matter how much you do it. But increasingly disapproving responses from people I respect or care about is making me rethink that. I used to be straight-edge. I drink twice a week now. :/

Some people approve of things, while others don't. It's impossible to cater to everyone. What a frustrating social conundrum.

but what really is a rectangle tho
I didn't mean to call you out or something, sorry if it came across that way.
but just clinically speaking twice a week really is something that could lead to more serious problems. it doesn't only have to do with "socially functioning" but also just your own health. generally speaking. of course I'm not a doctor or anything but I read up on this stuff in the past

a rectangle is a circle if you bend it enough.

Vazra

irresponsible vagina leak
I would say time is a square. 24 hours can be divided by 6 = 4 groups of 6 and 4 can be 4 walls that make a square. You know what else is square? Waffles.

Jobbs

Banned
no way. I'm not even making cool games for you people to enjoy. I'm just dating weird guys. [edit: or rather "going on dates". I've learned the difference thanks to this thread]

Last I talked to my publisher they were talking about me doing a one hour presentation of the game on some stage inside the Adult Swim booth at PAX. :eek:

On all three days!

I don't know what the schedule will end up being but it sounds fun/scary!

Was going to edit my previous sarcastic response to have this more serious post, but I'll just make it separate.

I think people can drink as much as they'd like, so long as they are responsible. It becomes an issue when they begin to negatively affect the people around them, physically or mentally, because that's when it moves into the selfish territory.
Personally I enjoy beer. I think it's tasty, and I like finding new tasty beers. If there is beer in my fridge I will usually have one at night.
Alcoholism is in my family, so I'm very sensitive and aware of it, "drinking too much", and the stigmas around it.
Frankly alcohol is just like any other substance or activity that people use to escape from reality. If they are abusing it for that intent, then it's a problem. Same with video games, working, heroin, cocaine, weed, etc.

I had an alchoholic brother who'd dirnk every day, and he'd act erratic and fall asleep at weird times. Like if we went to a movie he'd fall asleep in the theater every. single. fucking. time.

So when I'm in here and half the thread is talking about getting tanked by themselves on a regular basis, I just project my brother onto them and kinda make some negative assumptions.

It probably isn't fair.

Granadier

Is currently on Stage 1: Denial regarding the service game future
Was going to edit my previous sarcastic response to have this more serious post, but I'll just make it separate.

I think people can drink as much as they'd like, so long as they are responsible. It becomes an issue when they begin to negatively affect the people around them, physically or mentally, because that's when it moves into the selfish territory.
Personally I enjoy beer. I think it's tasty, and I like finding new tasty beers. If there is beer in my fridge I will usually have one at night.*
Alcoholism is in my family, so I'm very sensitive and aware of it, "drinking too much", and the stigmas around it.
Frankly alcohol is just like any other substance or activity that people use to escape from reality. If they are abusing it for that intent, then it's a problem. Same with video games, working, heroin, cocaine, weed, etc.

*the only times I get "drunk" is if it's a social occasion with friends or family.

Last I talked to my publisher they were talking about me doing a one hour presentation of the game on some stage inside the Adult Swim booth at PAX. :eek:

On all three days!

I don't know what the schedule will end up being but it sounds fun/scary!

yay! will there be a broadcast?

Personally I enjoy beer. I think it's tasty, and I like finding new tasty beers. If there is beer in my fridge I will usually have one at night.
I agree.

Jobbs

Banned
yay! will there be a broadcast?

I agree.

I honestly have no idea. They have this vision of having this stage in their booth and have different people just occupying it, showing off their game and taking questions, around the clock throughout pax -- And they want to slot me into that rotation.

It sounds like it could be a real shit show, or it could be awesome, or maybe both? Probably both

At least one of my cast is going to be there too, so that'll be fun to meet her

SolVanderlyn

My father is an alcoholic and downs a bottle of wine or more every night.

He's also a Yale professor and an acclaimed author.

I disapprove of his behavior, despite showing lesser reflections of it, but I can't fault the guy for living his life well.

I didn't mean to call you out or something, sorry if it came across that way.
but just clinically speaking twice a week really is something that could lead to more serious problems. it doesn't only have to do with "socially functioning" but also just your own health. generally speaking. of course I'm not a doctor or anything but I read up on this stuff in the past
No, it's ok. I appreciate the concern, if anything.

Granadier

I had an alchoholic brother who'd dirnk every day, and he'd act erratic and fall asleep at weird times. Like if we went to a movie he'd fall asleep in the theater every. single. fucking. time.

So when I'm in here and half the thread is talking about getting tanked by themselves on a regular basis, I just project my brother onto them and kinda make some negative assumptions.

It probably isn't fair.

I can totally understand this. My dad was pretty absent for a large part of my younger years, and when he was around he was in a similar state to your brothers that you described. It sucks. He's way, way better now which is fucking amazing, but it still leaves me on edge when it comes to alcohol abuse for sure.
I tend to give the benefit of the doubt though that the majority of people are not using alcohol like that.

I honestly have no idea. They have this vision of having this stage in their booth and have different people just occupying it, showing off their game and taking questions, around the clock throughout pax -- And they want to slot me into that rotation.

It sounds like it could be a real shit show, or it could be awesome, or maybe both? Probably both

At least one of my cast is going to be there too, so that'll be fun to meet her
it'll be awesome! get hyped bruhh!
My father is an alcoholic and downs a bottle of wine or more every night.

He's also a Yale professor and an acclaimed author.

I disapprove of his behavior, despite showing lesser reflections of it, but I can't fault the guy for living his life well.

No, it's ok. I appreciate the concern, if anything.

just to be clear though...was the "living his life well"part referring to him being an alcoholic?

Granadier

Hemmingway was an enormous alcoholic and almost all of his characters were the same.
My uncle built a multi-million dollar business while drinking himself to death.
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Not advocating it in any way, it's just hard to view it as a black/white situation.

I abuse video games way more than I abuse alcohol.

This is probably pretty common here (on GAF) too.
I feel that everyone needs their own escape from reality. It's just a matter of to what degree, and how it impacts the people around them.

lol, absolutely not. The guy has made a definitive place for himself in the world despite being given a terrible deck of cards.

He wrote a book about it

your dad sure sounds like an interesting person but it's definitely hard to have a family member having a problem with stuff like that. well anyway..we don't have to dwell on it now. but since I noticed you apparently have been concerned about this stuff before too (people reaching out etc) you just need to decide whether it's cool or not for you right now. you know the situation best.

AcridMeat

Banned
Yeah obviously. It's more that games take priority over reading, which I love doing and wish I did more of. I have a stack of books I've wanted to get through for years sitting here. But games allow me to be more active and social while relaxing in my room with a beer and my music.

I can't do that with other hobbies at home.

Granadier

Yeah obviously. It's more that games take priority over reading, which I love doing and wish I did more of. I have a stack of books I've wanted to get through for years sitting here. But games allow me to be more active and social while relaxing in my room with a beer and my music.

I can't do that with other hobbies at home.

Feel the same. Most of the time my head is shooting between ideas so often that reading is almost fruitless for me. Which sucks, because I used to absolutely love it and have a bookcase full of books I'd like to read. I recently started taking an ADHD/anti-depresant that has helped with the focus, but it's still difficult to focus long enough to enjoy a book. Video games let my brain shut out all of the "noise" and relax.

It's one of my downfalls that I'm actively working to change.

Jobbs

Banned
My hobby is.... I don't know!

All I really do is spend time with family and work on the game! And maybe play some Dark Souls 3!

I guess fakegaf is my hobby?

My hobby is.... I don't know!

All I really do is spend time with family and work on the game! And maybe play some Dark Souls 3!

I guess fakegaf is my hobby?

wat?! this is not a hobby. FYI we're all married to each other now. it's serious and legally binding.

SolVanderlyn

Rethinking life choices now. And not just related to this conversation - I may be switching occupations soon, as well. But that's a story for when it happens.

Maybe a weird thing to show off, but this is where I live. It's peacefully overcast today, which some might call depressing, but I find to be rather tranquil, in its own way.

Taken through the window from the inside because I'm a lazy person.

You're just salty over the inline skaters drinking problem.

you'll laugh but it's actually hard to find a guy who's not a dangeroulsy heavy drinker for me for some reason. I feel like people just treat it like a casual thing most of the time. probably why I'm a bit more sensitive/aware of tendencies like this.

you'll laugh but it's actually hard to find a guy who's not a dangeroulsy heavy drinker for me for some reason. I feel like people just treat it like a casual thing most of the time. probably why I'm a bit more sensitive/aware of tendencies like this.

Out of curiosity where are you trying to find guys?

Jobbs

Banned
Why are hotels so fucking expensive? It's just a room you, like, be in for a bit

wat?! this is not a hobby. FYI we're all married to each other now. it's serious and legally binding.

well everyone knows how I feel about marriage

:: runs ::

BTW I'm starting to get good at Pokken Tournament and I don't even really want to, I'm just playing people online like some kind of gladiator for my niece because she finds it exciting to pit me against other people (she's too intimidated to go online herself with it for some reason)

Whoa slow yo roll gorl. Can we start slow with like indentured servitude?
just look at this place. you know it's true. search your feelings.
Germany, I think.

haha, good point!

actually I have a broad selection of where I met people... just while going out, mutual friends,being at a show, or online like the last one.
it's just a thing that gets more widespread since it's treated that casually in many cases I guess. of course not all of them are like that. maybe it's just shocking to me how ... accepted it already seems to be.

also bavaria is where Octoberfest is happening but every area has their own beers.

SolVanderlyn

Someone told me once that that was just Bavaria, and that the rest of Germany isn't like that. I really don't know though.
This may or may not be true. I know approximately zero percent of what any other country is actually like outside of anecdotal second hand stories. Aside from Rome, because I went there, in which case, I can assure you: Every restaurant has the same exact menu, I kid you not.

Why are hotels so fucking expensive? It's just a room you, like, be in for a bit
Not exaggerating when I say hotels are the best part of vacations.

Man, I wish I had somewhere to talk about wrestling that wasn't full of overly smarky fucks
But then where would the glorious gifs come from?

Granadier

Someone told me once that that was just Bavaria, and that the rest of Germany isn't like that. I really don't know though.

From my experience Hamburg was similar, but lacking the Bavarian culture surrounding it.

haha, good point!

OT, but Germany is the place I miss most from my travels through Europe. Hamburg, Berlin, and Frankfurt were all so amazing. People there are so awesome too.
Admittedly I didn't run into any inline skaters though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom